“Best vacation we have ever had”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 13, 2011

The Iberostar Paraiso Maya is an amazing place. We could not say enough about the quality of the resort and the great people who work at the resort - What an awesome place. From the fellow cleaning the pool, the staff in housekeeping, the bartenders to the waiters in the restaurants, they cannot do enough for you at this resort. They all truly enjoy what they do and it reflects in how you are treated at this resort. The entertainment group is the most amazing group of people you will ever come across. From dancing lessons, to archery with Ana, to water sports with Tayde and Paulina, to darts with Danny on the beach, we all had an amazing time. We became very attached to Ana, Paulina and Tayde and they became like a family to us. We have been to the Mayan Riviera 4 times and this is the best trip we have had so far. Did not want to leave and cannot wait to go back.

Food:
The food was excellent! From the Japanese to the Mexican, everything was very well prepared, quick, and tasted excellent. Our personal favourite was the steakhouse; I believe we went back to it three times. You can book as many ala carte sit downs as you would like, which is a very nice change. We have no complaints with the food at all.

Rooms:
In previous resorts, you could tell that the hotel was used a lot, and showed its age. At the Iberostar, it almost seemed brand new. The rooms were very clean, everything worked perfectly, and maids cleaned them every morning and left very nice towel animals on the beds. Never had a problem with cleanliness, or the resort showing its age. They kept up the resort very well.

Overall Experience:
Personally, I would say you haven't gone to a 5 star resort until you have been to the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. This resort is top of the line, from the lobby, with free Wi-Fi for guests, to the main snake bar, to the food, and especially the staff, this resort is nothing short of fantastic. It’s fun for all ages, we had a 17 year old son, who had a BLAST. You definitely can't go wrong with this resort. If you do end up going, be sure to talk to Ana, Tayde, Paulina, Bryant, Xavier, and all the other entertainment staff. The most amazing people you will meet in your life.

4  Thank TRACY M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed February 5, 2011

our family, 2 adults, 13 and 14 year old kids and grandmother went to Iberostar Maya in early april 2010 for a week. We stayed in adjoining rooms.

The location is outstanding. First time we have been to this area of mexico which is very nice. If I were to go again I would do more snorkeling in the area. We went on a trip to Tulum and that was ok, but the snorkeling is really cool in this area and I would do that as much as possible, especially with active kids.

This resort was spotless. Very clean. Rooms were nice. The Maya is in same area as Lindo and Grand Hotel, in fact there seem to be 5 huge complexes all in the same locatino with different rates and accomodations. The Maya is supposed to be better food, but the restaurants at night were not that great. Ok, but not great. The lunch buffets and breakfast buffets are outstanding. The drinks on the beach are outstanding.

I don't think you can go wrong at this place. Expensive but all inclusive and very nice. I wish I could go every year!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank anothertraveler123
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We took our adult children and 20 month old granddaughter for five days to Paraiso Maya to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. I had read many reviews about the pros and cons, we had all pros! Check in was easy and quick, The resort is very large and it did take us a day to get acclamated. The breakfast and lunch buffets were very adequate, we ate dinners at the ala carte restaurants and we had no complaints. My boys were very pleased with the unlimited alcohol and soft drinks. Yes, the beds were hard, we asked for mattress pads and that worked just fine. The service was wonderful, everything we needed was there with no hassels. Every 2 buildings had it's own conceirge, which was very convenient, they were there all day until 8 pm, and helped with anything and everything. The gardens were well kept, no trash around, someone was cleaning the resort all day and night long. The beach was close to our room, as was the pool, this was very convenient. The mini suites were large, and all the rooms had "jungle" type views, which I didn't mind. The main complaint was that the pool was cold, but we had been there right after December rains. I highly recommend this location for families, for an adults only romantic vacation, I'd suggest The Grand, next door. We walked over there and that was just amazingly beautiful.

1  Thank WB1954
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We were there Jan 24-28th until Gerardo (the fantastic apple rep) transfered us to dreams riviera. My son and husband were very sick days 2-4. This was our 5th time to Mexico, and first time sick. REALLY SICK! I suspect food poisoning, possibly from beach hamburgers. I know this can happen anywhere, but do think it's more likely if you are eating buffet food, or food that has been sitting out a while (as opposed to the ala- carte service at dreams.) We had not yet had sun, or swam in ocean, so those culprits were ruled out.

Aside from being sick, the lower level rooms are musty smelling, It really takes a while to find your way around, (It was especially hard for my 70 yr. old mom) and the whole reservation system for dinners is a pain. Another reviewer said it perfectly "There is no easy button".

We booked here thinking it would be more fun for our 11 yr. old since they advertise many activities. However, they were really lame. Even the wave pool was for a younger set. We didn't see anyone use the Lazy River, ping pong was in a dark corner where the ledge the table sat on was not large enough, pools were very cold, no hot tubs, long path to beach. Same music blairing every day etc. etc.. If you do like this sort of resort, I could not see any reason to pay extra for the Maya. Might as well stay at the Lindo.

Days 4-7 at dreams was much better. As the rep there said, Iberostars are an older more old fashion resort chain. Dreams is a much newer, hipper way to stay. No wrist bands, eat where you want when you want, and almost all rooms have an ocean view. (They are smaller, but nicer) I even felt the neutral color scheme of the resort was more relaxing and less dated. A new employees at Iberostar was even complaining about his purple pants.
The trip advisor rating for this resort is great. I came to the clonclusion I did not pay enough attention to who was writing the reviews. There were a lot of smokers there, and a completly different clientele than at other resorts we have been.

As usual though for all resorts though, the staff was amazing, and the grounds are lovely.

2  Thank lweesies
Reviewed February 2, 2011

It started with the "Welcome back, Mr ....." at check-in, and carried on being excellent from then on. After a slight blip with the room offered - it was in building 60, top floor overlooking the grounds of the Grand, but didn't quite appeal for some reason, and maybe a bit too close to the Tapatio, as has been mentioned - but a quick trip back to reception, "Any chance of the room I had before?", "Let me check - that was Room 63XX, wasn't it? Yes, I'll just change that for you and send a bellboy to move your cases", and everything was arranged. Next stop the concierge to book the first weeks-worth of restaurants, and again he couldn't have been more helpful. We casually dropped into the conversation (as you do!) that the 23rd was my partner's birthday - result, cake and singing waiting staff at breakfast, and the same in an entirely different restaurant at dinner! We found all the waiting and bar staff, with perhaps one exception, unfailingly charming, cheerful, and friendly throughout the stay. In the morning buffet, the waiter usually brought our usual drinks order before we even asked for it. At the Jambalaya, when we revisited in the second week, the waiter said, "Ah yes, it's Kir Royale for you and champagne for you, isn't it?" That is what I call good service. Everyone you meet as you go about, whether it's room maids, gardeners, security staff, bellboys, shop staff, all greet you with a smiling 'Hola' as you pass. Maybe anyone who complains about surly staff should try a smile and a few words of Spanish - works for us! As for cleanliness, we commented that wherever you went, there was always someone cleaning windows or sweeping up or trimming plants - the grounds are exemplary and beautifully maintained, so what H from Milwaukee saw baffles me! Did she open her eyes during her 2 hours?

The evening shows were as good as several cruise ships I've been on, and better than some, but it's still not exactly West End, although perfectly acceptable. The Musicals show was the best.

Sometimes when you return to a place you're disappointed because it doesn't live up to expectations. Not so this time. We loved it. Go there!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidayaddictUK15
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Great resort. Iberostar focuses on well manicured grounds with stunning tropical campus giving the feel of a truly tropical getaway. Service was great, rooms were always immaculate, weather great. Location very close to the airport. I like the Iberostar complex for the "stay at 1, play at 4" opportunity. More restaurants, pools, beach, etc. This is only the case if you stay at the Paraiso Maya, as it was the most expensive of the 4 (not counting the Grand, which is exclusive). If you stay at the Lindo I think you have access to most of the same amenities, for less cost, albeit a smaller room. From what I could see through windows, I think the savings would be worth it, as the Lindo looked nice as well. It appeared that the Del Mar and the Beach were more crowded; we tried to lounge at their pool one afternoon for a change of scenery, but was very difficult to find chairs. Never a problem at the Paraiso. We did eat at their restaurants, which were open air and a fun change of atmosphere.
Food was good, not great, but I enjoyed it. Drinks were good as well. Only Dos Equis beer. Did not have any problem getting as many ala carte reservations as we wished.
Beach was excellent, plenty of palapas (sp?), chairs, and always service. Tips will get you better care.
We went as a couple, left our kids at home, kids on the site were never intrusive.
Nice gym facility. Shopping Center is fine.
This was an excellent trip, would love to return with friends to take advantage of the unlimited drinks, cigar bars, night activities, etc.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GJTravelers
Reviewed February 1, 2011

just returned from the Maya, this was our 3rd time at this resort and would say that it has been consistently very good as far as service, food, grounds, beach and other amenities are concerned. check- in was smooth, small issues with regards to a burnt out vanity mirror light and missing bathtub drain plug were dealt with quickly by our concierge. the service at the snake bar from the waitresses was great all week [ kamikaze shooters-omg!] the beach bartenders and waiters looked after us quite well, note: try a mudslide ! , our favorite a la carte's were the cajun and teppanaki as well as the gourmet for its booze cart!! thanks to Isaac for all his help and insights. the staff are helpful and friendly and seem to work hard at making their guests stays enjoyable, we tipped all our servers and housekeeping staff, they made our stay easy with no hassles. i have no problem recommending this resort because of its location, great beach, service, and food.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!