“Super resort, super vacation!!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We went to Iberostar Paraiso Maya from 9/23/10 through 9/30/10. I thought the trip was getting off to a bad start when I arrived at my assigned USA3000 seat, only to find out I was seated next to the only infant on the entire plane! I need not have worried. He was extremely pleasant - laughing and talking and napping. No reflection on Apple, no reflection on the resort, but for a minute there, I was worried.

We had been to Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar a little more than three years ago but decided to splurge this year by going to Maya. The price we paid was actually less than that of Lindo. We loved it here! Our junior suite was on the second floor of building 60, on the ocean side of the building. No view because of the plants, but it was still a great location. If we walked down the steps closest to our room, we were at the private pool for our building, or at the quiet end of the main pool. The beach was close, as well as El Fogon restaurant. We had breakfast and lunch there a few times. We had breakfast several times at Lindo’s main buffet. La Marina was also open for breakfast while we were there. You could order from a limited (but scrumptious!) menu or eat from the buffet. We only made dinner reservations three times: El Ranchero and La Marina and Jambalaya. All three were great with fantastic service. We went back to El Ranchero another night without reservations and were promptly seated.

Our building was the furthest one from the Maya lobby and main ala carte restaurants, but that just made for a pleasant before-dinner and after-dinner stroll. All the Maya buildings are connected with covered walkways and the courtyard of each building was beautifully landscaped with fountains and statues. It rained a few times while we were there, but nothing that really altered our plans.

So many people work so hard every day just to make sure the place sparkles. Every member of the staff is polite and accommodating. We had never been to Mexico in September before, but have decided it was the perfect time to go. We loved the pool and the pool bar and the ice cream bar and the “Snake” bar and the food and our suite and the beach and all the grounds. We loved the wave pool and the lazy river and the energetic entertainment staff and paella on the beach. We will definitely return to this resort!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LLMex
Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed October 3, 2010

Returned to the Ibreostar resort for the second time. This is a great resort, the food and people are wonderful, unfortunately my daughter had her Iphone stolen from her room. The management told me they would investigate this issue and provide me with a report. However, they refused to provide me with any documentation concerning this issue. We did enjoy our stay but we were very dissapointed in that they would employ people that steal from the guests. One thing I did not realize is that numerous individuals are permitted to enter your room when you are not there. I noticed a maintenance technician entering my daughter's room while she was at the pool. When I questioned the individual as to why he was entering her room, he told me that he needed to change a light bulb. I later asked my daughter whether she had reported this as an issue and she told me she had not. Coincidently this was within several hours of her phone being stolen.

3  Thank Caribbean427
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We just got back from the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and wow! What a fantastic place! The whole resort was absolutely beautiful, a lot of people have said the pictures just don't do this place justice and they're right. The attention to detail is amazing, every courtyard, path, nook and cranny was landscaped immaculately. Every building, restaurant, bar was decorated to the hilt. It is indeed a large resort.

Now to the workers. There's a huge staff, always running around, cleaning, fixing, generally hard at work to keep this place running. The employees at this resort are fantastic! I really can't say enough about them- they are so friendly and hard working it is hard to believe. They must go through a rigorous training process. When we decided to go on this trip, we shopped around and looked for the best price online, and we found the most competitive price at the travel services of the Iberostar Message Board where I'm a member. I dealt with Vera on the phone, she gave great service and was a real expert on the resort.

If you have children it has a tremendous set up for kids. There's a whole play area, kids shows at the theater in the evening, children's fountain/pool and the lazy river is great. This resort is an excellent destination for people traveling as a family or with children! The entire day is setup with activities from water aerobics to ping-pong. I think they have something going all day long on the half hour. The kids will love the mini ice-cream parlor set up above the pools swim up bar.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

The resort is enormous, beautifully decorated, and immaculate. There is a beautiful beach, gorgeous pools, including a wave pool & lazy river.

There are tons of activities for kids and adults all day long. We took dance lessons & did Zoomba by the beach. The instructor for the exercise lessons complained that she couldn't teach our class one of the days we attended because her iPod was malfunctioning because of the humidity. She said that she had asked her employer for a few weeks for a CD to burn the music so she could teach the class but to no avail.

We had a jr suite with a beautiful bathroom (jacuzzi tub & shower, 2 sinks) and a living room area. The balcony had a table, chairs, and hammock chair. There was a fridge filled with soda, water, & beer. If you want it, they also have 24 hr room service included. The room is very clean. No bugs. A light bulb needed to be replaced and it was done within minutes of our phone call. I have read other reviews about the beds being uncomfortable but I found them to be perfectly fine.

The service was wonderful. Bellmen, check in staff, maids, restaurant staff, & Star friends were all polite & very friendly.

The price was fantastic. I'd definitely return.

5  Thank GGH205
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The rooms were not well maintained and, for example, the overhead fan did not work 2 nights; the jacuzzi never worked, the room temperature was extremely uncomfortable and the dirt left my the 'maintenance men' was never cleaned - nor was the abundant green mold ever removed. The shower drain didn't work well and there was about 1-2 inches of stagnant water at the shower bottom. The concierge agreed that
"Yes, that is green mold and it should be cleaned" - Never was.
After 2 1/2 miserable days, we left for another property on
their gounds. Staff was extremely rude and we had to pay an extra $900 to transfer to another area on their gounds. Manager tore up my first receipt and threw the piexces in my face . Would advise anyone not to stay there. Oh, the outside grounds were not
adequately maintained; the 'lazy river' had absolutely no current and was unusable and filthy. The 'wave' pool was only turned on every 1 or 2 hours for a very short time - to save on 'energy'.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank rahjahmilwaukee
Reviewed September 14, 2010

First of all the resort is very nice and clean. The maids and general gound keeping staff were more helpful than the front desk.
There was a lot of security present at the beach, pool, everywhere. We were fine with that, but many of the security personnel did not speak English. The security is needed to deal with out of control guests that start drinking at 10 AM. There were a few guest that ruined a peaceful day at the beach with their family fights.
Also, FYI DO NOT USE APPLE VACATIONS to book your vacation! They flew us down on Mexicanna which went bankrupt the day after we arrived. Apple told us it was up to us to find flights back and that we were on our own. We paid them in full for the flights and resort stay. It took an additional $700 to get flights back which we had to find and purchase on our own. Thank goodness for free WiFi in the lobby and Snake Bar. We became pseudo travel agents for half of our trip.
The resort is huge so plan on walking - a lot!
The beach is beautiful with great waves. Might be too rough for little ones though.
Went on one dive with Dressel Divers. Nice guide, but there isn't a docke to you have to tredge through sea weed and a rocky bottom where someone got stung by an urchin on the way to the boat. Then the boat captain was very rude and made it next to impossible to get on the boat after our dive. I had a huge bruise on my shoulder from where he swung the boat ladder into me. Murky water - go to Cozumel if you want to dive.
Over all I like the resort. Large, food was so-so, but the room were large. The beds need to addressed... they were terrible! Hard as a rock, I spent half the night tossing and turning trying to get comfortable.
The location of the resort is great to access Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza. Do all of them. Well worth the time and money.
One more issue was the beach wedding. If you are planning on getting married there make sure security is tight! We saw a wedding crashed by a bunch of beach goers in speedos and string bikinis as the couple was saying their vows. The hotel staff only asked once for the rude, no class people to leave. They did nothing as they posed by the alter and took pictures as the couple exchanged vows. The bride was almost in tears.

3  Thank DinDC08
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted warmly with a drink. Check in took around 30 seconds and we were whisked off to our room. We were given a superior suite at no extra charge ($50 per night value). We settled into our room and then took a walk and found our concierge and booked a reservation for that evening in the Italian restaurant. The food and service was excellant! The server, chef and mai tre d' kept coming around to see if there was anything else you needed, if the food was to your liking. If you are not satisfied with the food they will prepare it the way you like it.
The resort is so big that you walk and walk which is good considering how much food we ate!! There is suppossed to be transportation around the resort every 15 minutes, it must not have been running. If you needed to be tranported somewhere all you had to do was call the bellboy and they would pick you up in a golf cart.
All I can say is I never saw such a clean place inside and out. Everywhere you turned the maids were cleaning inside and the grounds where being kept up. Our room was cleaned in the morning and tidied up in the evening and the bed was turned down and a chocolate was left on the pillow.
The pools were spectacular! We had a wave pool, lazy river , hot tubs and the pool (with a swim up bar) to choose from. We were also a 2 minute walk to the ocean.
There were buffets for breakfast , lunch and dinner available and also several specialty restaurants. The Italian, Seafood and Steak House were wonderful. We never ate at the Mexican or Japanese. We were told by other guests that they were terrific too! You can not go away from this trip hungry. If you do it's your fault. The food is fabulous, so much too choose from and if yoou want it prepared differently the staff is more than happy to accomoadate you.
At the breakfast buffet they had salmon out the first day and when we went back on day two there was none on the buffet. All we had to do was ask for a plate of salmon and the servers brought it out to us.
We had an excellent server at the specialty restaurants named Johnny, he catered to your every need. Chef Nancy was always coming around to see if she could make your stay more enjoyable. The entire staff was wonderful. There are not enough adjectives to describe them.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!