My husband and I stayed at the Maya from 5/22 to 5/28 and the last day was my saddest day - I didn't want to leave!
We were originally supposed to go to Secrets Excellence resort but Travelocity transferred us at the last minute to Iberostar, due to Secrets being booked up completely. After doing tons of research on Secrets, I was very angry about the change, but hoped for the best.
When we pulled into the gates of Iberostar Paraiso Maya, we were amazed at the grandeur of the hotel - and later when we saw the pools and beach area, we couldn't wait to change into our swim suits. It's a lot of walking to get from one place to the other but it's very scenic and helps burn calories from all the desserts you eat!
The food could be improved - breakfast and lunch are completely buffet and dinner (with few exceptions) has appetizer and dessert buffet. It would have been nicer to be served and some of the appetizers weren't that appealing and very strange. However, others may like it and have no problem with the food. The waiters and waitresses are prompt and some are very attentive. My husband and I had lots of fruit (mango and papaya) at breakfast and strawberry-pineapple drinks from the juice bar by the wave pool.
The wave pool was my husband's favorite (and he's 31!) and I loved the lazy river, especially around 5 p.m. when the weather cooled down. All the pools are beautiful and there's a great lookout point over the pool bar, where you can grab an ice cream cone.
We seldom had time to be bored - besides swimming and playing in the pool, we did the folowing:
- stretching (didn't stay for aerobics!),
- meringue lessons (fun!),
- billiards (Lindo has a nice setup for this),
- bicycling tour around the resort (go at 10 am, the later one is too hot)
- beach volleyball,
- participated in a Star Friends pre-show where we competed for best dancing (we lost, of course)
- watched the Mexican Folklore show and the Vegas show (not high caliber performances but something to do while you drink)
- free shuttle to Playa del Carmen for souvenirs
- and spa treatments for both of us (the spa is shared with the gym so it doesn't have that relaxing feel but the technicians are excellent).
I loved our suite - it had everything we needed and more. The housekeeping staff was great - they always left us some towel sculpture on the bed. Our concierges were wonderful in helping us make dinner reservations but sometimes the new ones didn't give good directions.
Nevertheless, we had a fabulous time at this resort and miss it very much!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on the beautiful beach of Playa Paraiso (Mexico). All junior suites with Jacuzzi, DVD player, upgraded amenities. Exclusive dining plus dine around privileges at over 16 restaurants, 17 full service bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Paraiso Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Paraiso Maya Hotel Playa Paraiso
- Iberostar Playa Paraiso
- Iberostar Riviera Maya
- Iberostar Hotel Paraiso Maya
- Iberostar Maya
- Iberostar Grand Paraiso
- Iberostar Paraiso Maya Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico