“Just returned from paradise!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We've been to this resort 5 times now; this trip we took 10 others (family & friends). They are already talking about going back next year. Beautiful, immaculate accommodations, good food & the staff is incredible. This place is like Disney Land/World: exceptionally clean & the staff seems to genuinely care about you & you having a wonderful stay at their resort. We've been to many other resorts & others mostly make you feel as if they are doing you a favor waiting on you. Not so at Iberostar Maya (we've also had these excellent experiences as the other levels of this resort (Paraiso Beach & Lindo).

Only suggestions: transfer from airport was VERY disorganized. They couldn't fit all of us on transport, even though we all reserved together. My brother & his family had to wait an hour for transportation to resort. Also, check in was VERY slow (over an hour here too).

Other than the beginning issues, everything else was wonderful!

Room Tip: all rooms we've stayed in have been excellent.
2  Thank jmgaustx
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire team of IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

It is an honor to hear that you, your family and your friends had a great and enjoyable vacation in our hotel. It would be a real pleasure to host you once again next year.

In regard to your comment about the transfer, we are sorry about the discomfort caused. They are an external company, however, we will pass your remark onto their Management for their consideration, to apply corrective actions where necessary.

We are sorry about the delay during check in. We need to gather certain data to comply with the Law, however, we are now working on making this process easier by introducing new software and making certain changes that will speed up the process eventually.

Thank you very much for your honest review and for your preference for our resort. We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We have been going to the Iberostar resorts now every year at least once if not twice. Everyone that works there is so friendly and a few always remember us( Philly at the pool bar, Rodolfo at the Lindo and Arti at the Maya to name a few favorites) We are getting married next year and plan on having our wedding here. The only thing that we didnt like the last time was that the Waterfall over the Pool Bar was broken. Hope to find out if it is fixed prior to our next trip. Also would love if they hada wedding pavillion on the beach. Cant wait to go back

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments about our resort and for being part of the IBEROSTAR family.

We are very proud to hear that one of our repetitive guests is planning to celebrate an important event with us, such as your wedding. Our Wedding Coordinator will be very happy to organize a wonderful and unforgettable celebration.

In regard to your comment about our waterfall, our Maintenance Department is working hard keep our facilities in perfect condition. We hope that during your next visit you will notice our improvements.

Thank you for your loyalty to our brand, we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Paraiso Maya was just magnificent. We were in building 60 (nearest the beach). What a beach it was. Super clean and well groomed. Constant activities available if we chose to do them and lots of lounging space if we decided not too. Beautiful water, fresh smell and super observant life guards. The food was good with lots of choices. It would have been nice to have more Mexican choices. It seemed that the resort went out of the way to serve American fare. We wanted more foods that are native to Mexico. Everything pretty much shuts down at 8pm. Pools, bars, buffets. You really can only attend the nightly show at 9pm and after that karaoke is about your only choice. The shows were very well done but the opening act kind of got old after about the 3rd performance. (Too many ooot ooots). If they would light up the pools until at least 11pm it would make this place a go to every time. All in all this was a great value and a lot of fun. My 12 year old son especially loved the air rifle and archery every morning. The private pool at building 60 is also a plus. Yes it is a very large resort and there is a bit of walking but nothing that hurt us. Top shelf liquor at all bars and the bartenders quickly learn faces and know what you like after the 2nd day. Staff is very courteous and attentive. They were always quick to interact with my son and had him hooked on Tigers and Tequila boom booms after a few days. (virgin of course). Danny the magician in the steakhouse was outstanding and the magician who did the evening show was just as good as some acts we have seen in Atlantic City. This resort is a great stop for any families with children.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate your comments, it is thanks to valuable feedback like yours that we continue improving and providing a great service.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that you were able to take advantage of the activities as well as the other facilities offered at our resort.

Your comments on our food are highly valuable. Our Executive Chef makes an effort to offer a good variety of Mexican dishes from different parts of the country. Be sure that we will pass your feedback onto him who is always open to critics. Indeed, this will help him and his team of cooks to satisfy our national and international guests’ taste.

We are also sorry that you were dissatisfied with the schedule of our shows; our guests can visit our theater and enjoy our shows or they also have the opportunity to visit our shopping center or our Melody Bar to keep enjoying their vacations.

Regarding our pool times, we would like to mention our staff needs to follow a strict cleaning process where chemicals are involved. These can be aggressive for the skin and it does take many hours to clear. We need to do this in order to keep it immaculate for the next day. The size of the pool is very large so the treatment takes longer.

We hope that these points did not tarnish your experience, and we hope you come back soon, as we would be pleased to serve you again!

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I am writing this as I sit by the pool where I had to reserve seats at 6am. Not my idea of vacation. If you don't have seats by 7 you are out of luck for the day. Staff doesn't pick up trash around the resort regularly, and the coati's (native Mayan jungle animals) knock over the full trash cans to scrounge for food. Speaking of food, it's completely mediocre. No enough variety and the quality is sub par. We ate at the Jambalaya Cajun restaurant last night. None of the 7 of us could choke down out meal. The housekeeping does not meet any expectations. Never enough towels for us. I always have to track down for more as we also need many for outside of out leaking shower. They haven't replaced anything in the mini bar all week, they never left washcloths, and never come before 4 in the afternoon! We have had to go to the supply room many times and hope the door was unlocked to take what we needed. Their frozen bar drinks are awful too. The rooms and hallways were loud. We could always hear furniture being moved around on the floor above us.
We still had a good time and made the best of the week but they definitely need some revamping and well trained employees. Not sure I would visit again.

Room Tip: A room in building 61 or 60 for closest proximity to pool and beach. Otherwise you are near the lob...
3  Thank travellover1006
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Just returned a couple of days ago from 5 nights at the Maya. We traveled with another family and had 4 adults and 3 kids together. We had a great time and I thought I'd share a few things….hopefully some of this will help.

1. Easy check in. Room wasn't ready but they have a hospitality room to change into swim suits.
2. Pools: all the pools are nice and cleaned daily. The walking areas around the pools tend to get very slick when wet so be careful in those spots. My only complaint would be the need for a second swim up pool bar…I propose in the pool directly behind the existing pool bar. That pool was barely crowded compared to the main pool. The pool bar would get very busy during the afternoon…but the bar tenders work hard keeping everyone as happy as possible.
3. Beach: very nice beach and water. A few rocks near the shore but very few. There is a bar and a grill so you can eat lunch out there if you want.
4. Food: My entire group thought the food was very good for an AI. The breakfast buffet was big enough to not have to eat the same thing over and over. There were lots of options at lunch as well. The dinners were good as well and I'll cover those restaurants we dined at individually.

The Japanese Steakhouse: We all thought this was the best of the evening dining we had. Good presentation, excellent variety and very good food quality.

Steakhouse: Nice dinner here with a very nice buffet to go thru prior to your main course. I had the ribeye. A little too fatty for me but there is a tenderloin option (Filet) which I would opt for next time. Don't expect high end steakhouse quality but not bad at all.

Seafood restaurant: Again very similar to the steakhouse with a few more seafood selections including surf and turf. This steak was a filet and better than the ribeye.

Clarification on men's dress code: we were told the only restaurant that requires men to wear pants is the French restaurant. We wore shorts to the others.

We did parasailing and the banana boat on the beach. Parasailing was $120 for a 2 person ride and it was a blast. The banana boat is $25 per person. The venders for these activities are not affiliated with IB.

We also let the kids do a dolphin adventure that Lomas suggested. A little pricy but they had a blast.!

Overall we had a great time and will return although we do like to mix up our destinations.
Hope this helped in some way!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank TSOU1989

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort to spend your vacations, and for this feedback, we really appreciate your lovely words about our resort.

We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel and that you and your family had a great stay with us!

All of your observations have been sent to our Management to be taken into account, especially your recommendation about our swim up pull bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with another wonderful experience.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

This place was wonderful for a family vacation. I went with a 18, 14, and 9 year old. They all had a great time. From the pool, to the beach, playing soccer, water polo, wave pool, and meeting friends and even a little night life for them. The food is what you expect from a place like this. Not great but you will find things you like. If food is your main reason then maybe not the place for you. You will have to make reservations so do that before you get there or as soon as you arrive. Read everyones reviews and you will get the idea. My reason for writting is to warn of a few things. My bed was hard as a rock, but I hear they are updating so make sure you get a new one. Also remember this is a big resort so walking will become a way of life. Its ok what else do you have to do your on vacation and its a pretty place to walk around. If you have trouble of any kind with walking you need to be aware of that up front so you can decide if its for you or not. Our room was midway between the front desk /restaurant area and the ocean. You can request to be closer to what matters most to you. All rooms are near a pool of some sort. If you are travling with smaller children you have to ask for a connecting room . My first room was a few doors away from my kids and I felt to far away from my 9 year old. So I changed to a room that had a connecting door. This was much better because if I needed them all I did was open the door if I had enough close the door I did. It proved to be a God send as I did not know my youngest would take to sleep walking on this trip. This was told to me by my 18 year old , late one night he came to the room to wake me up to ask why his little brother was walking in the lobby with his pajamas on. WHAT?? ( I found out that this was not an uncommon thing to happen to a child in unfamiliar settings). So the door stayed open for the rest of the trip and I slept with one eye open.
That scary part aside, My kids loved the fact that they could get food and drinks all day long with out bothering us . Here everyone wears a wrist band showing what places they can eat. As its three resorts in one not all guests are able to eat at some of the resturants or beach food areas. I think its a perfect family vacation because your all paid up front so you can relax and enjoy. The people working here cant do enough for you they keep the place very clean. If its a busy time of year and where you sit at the pool or beach matters alot to you then its the same as most places one of you better get up early to get the seats you want. I was that person and had no problem finding a place that we could camp out at for most of the day. We only left the resort one day to go into town. I was not here to site see. This was my 6 trip to mexico. I really was there just to have a nice time with my children and husband. My husband is a very cranky traveler and he had a great time too. Its a large resort with alot to do from morning to night, not a quite place. All of the kids would go back today if they could, and that made it worth the money we spent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Alison L

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your honest review about your experience in our resort.

At IBEROSTAR, we are committed to providing services, facilities and an ambiance that satisfies our guests’ needs and expectations, so we are thrilled that we achieved our goal with you.

As you mentioned on your feedback, we are currently changing our outdated mattresses for pillow top mattresses.

Thank you once for your feedback. It will for sure help us to improve our service.

We are already looking forward to your return trip next year!

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We traveled with two children ages 11 and 13. We requested the family room which was two adjoining rooms. I couldn't have been more pleased. The rooms were clean and beautifully kept. They were cleaned each day and even had a turn down service at night. The hotel staff was courteous and we never had any problems. Each staff member we ran into was polite and very helpful.

The hotel is spread out so it doesn't feel as though you are on top of one another.
The food was great lots of selections for picky eaters.
Hotel staff was helpful in setting up excursions that we wanted to do. The rooms were up to date and had lots of space.
I am a picky critical traveler and I was very happy with this trip. We will be returning again.
We traveled early in the week and an off time so we were given extra care because we didn't come in with a larger group of travelers.
We visited Tulum ruins a great close historic site, we also managed to squeeze in a visit to snorkel with turtles on Turtle Beach and went swimming with dolphins all in one day. We found that requesting a private tour guide and car for these excursions was cheaper than going with a group. It was a wonderful day. A lesser know gem is the Eco Park. We zip lined and canoed and then dived in the ceynotes with the kids and a guide, of course. This was a great experience for the kids. My in-laws who are in their 70s were even able to go zip lining and canoeing. There were modifications available if they decided not to participate but could still enjoy the day. Everyone we encountered during the trip was extremely helpful and polite.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
1  Thank Meredith M

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know about how your holidays went at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are very happy to hear that you and your family felt at home and that you had a wonderful time in our resort. Our main goal is to provide our guests with the best of experiences and we are proud to hear that we fulfilled your expectations.

We are very grateful for your recognition for our facilities, our delicious food and our beautiful Caribbean beach.

We look forward to having the opportunity of hosting you again the next year!

Kind regards,

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 176 in Cancun
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!