“Great experience at Iberostar Maya!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Great experience at Iberostar Maya!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Just returned a couple of days ago from 5 nights at the Maya. We traveled with another family and had 4 adults and 3 kids together. We had a great time and I thought I'd share a few things….hopefully some of this will help.

1. Easy check in. Room wasn't ready but they have a hospitality room to change into swim suits.
2. Pools: all the pools are nice and cleaned daily. The walking areas around the pools tend to get very slick when wet so be careful in those spots. My only complaint would be the need for a second swim up pool bar…I propose in the pool directly behind the existing pool bar. That pool was barely crowded compared to the main pool. The pool bar would get very busy during the afternoon…but the bar tenders work hard keeping everyone as happy as possible.
3. Beach: very nice beach and water. A few rocks near the shore but very few. There is a bar and a grill so you can eat lunch out there if you want.
4. Food: My entire group thought the food was very good for an AI. The breakfast buffet was big enough to not have to eat the same thing over and over. There were lots of options at lunch as well. The dinners were good as well and I'll cover those restaurants we dined at individually.

The Japanese Steakhouse: We all thought this was the best of the evening dining we had. Good presentation, excellent variety and very good food quality.

Steakhouse: Nice dinner here with a very nice buffet to go thru prior to your main course. I had the ribeye. A little too fatty for me but there is a tenderloin option (Filet) which I would opt for next time. Don't expect high end steakhouse quality but not bad at all.

Seafood restaurant: Again very similar to the steakhouse with a few more seafood selections including surf and turf. This steak was a filet and better than the ribeye.

Clarification on men's dress code: we were told the only restaurant that requires men to wear pants is the French restaurant. We wore shorts to the others.

We did parasailing and the banana boat on the beach. Parasailing was $120 for a 2 person ride and it was a blast. The banana boat is $25 per person. The venders for these activities are not affiliated with IB.

We also let the kids do a dolphin adventure that Lomas suggested. A little pricy but they had a blast.!

Overall we had a great time and will return although we do like to mix up our destinations.
Hope this helped in some way!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank TSOU1989
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort to spend your vacations, and for this feedback, we really appreciate your lovely words about our resort.

We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel and that you and your family had a great stay with us!

All of your observations have been sent to our Management to be taken into account, especially your recommendation about our swim up pull bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with another wonderful experience.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This place was wonderful for a family vacation. I went with a 18, 14, and 9 year old. They all had a great time. From the pool, to the beach, playing soccer, water polo, wave pool, and meeting friends and even a little night life for them. The food is what you expect from a place like this. Not great but you will find things you like. If food is your main reason then maybe not the place for you. You will have to make reservations so do that before you get there or as soon as you arrive. Read everyones reviews and you will get the idea. My reason for writting is to warn of a few things. My bed was hard as a rock, but I hear they are updating so make sure you get a new one. Also remember this is a big resort so walking will become a way of life. Its ok what else do you have to do your on vacation and its a pretty place to walk around. If you have trouble of any kind with walking you need to be aware of that up front so you can decide if its for you or not. Our room was midway between the front desk /restaurant area and the ocean. You can request to be closer to what matters most to you. All rooms are near a pool of some sort. If you are travling with smaller children you have to ask for a connecting room . My first room was a few doors away from my kids and I felt to far away from my 9 year old. So I changed to a room that had a connecting door. This was much better because if I needed them all I did was open the door if I had enough close the door I did. It proved to be a God send as I did not know my youngest would take to sleep walking on this trip. This was told to me by my 18 year old , late one night he came to the room to wake me up to ask why his little brother was walking in the lobby with his pajamas on. WHAT?? ( I found out that this was not an uncommon thing to happen to a child in unfamiliar settings). So the door stayed open for the rest of the trip and I slept with one eye open.
That scary part aside, My kids loved the fact that they could get food and drinks all day long with out bothering us . Here everyone wears a wrist band showing what places they can eat. As its three resorts in one not all guests are able to eat at some of the resturants or beach food areas. I think its a perfect family vacation because your all paid up front so you can relax and enjoy. The people working here cant do enough for you they keep the place very clean. If its a busy time of year and where you sit at the pool or beach matters alot to you then its the same as most places one of you better get up early to get the seats you want. I was that person and had no problem finding a place that we could camp out at for most of the day. We only left the resort one day to go into town. I was not here to site see. This was my 6 trip to mexico. I really was there just to have a nice time with my children and husband. My husband is a very cranky traveler and he had a great time too. Its a large resort with alot to do from morning to night, not a quite place. All of the kids would go back today if they could, and that made it worth the money we spent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison L
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your honest review about your experience in our resort.

At IBEROSTAR, we are committed to providing services, facilities and an ambiance that satisfies our guests’ needs and expectations, so we are thrilled that we achieved our goal with you.

As you mentioned on your feedback, we are currently changing our outdated mattresses for pillow top mattresses.

Thank you once for your feedback. It will for sure help us to improve our service.

We are already looking forward to your return trip next year!

Warm regards,
Playa Paraiso
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We traveled with two children ages 11 and 13. We requested the family room which was two adjoining rooms. I couldn't have been more pleased. The rooms were clean and beautifully kept. They were cleaned each day and even had a turn down service at night. The hotel staff was courteous and we never had any problems. Each staff member we ran into was polite and very helpful.

The hotel is spread out so it doesn't feel as though you are on top of one another.
The food was great lots of selections for picky eaters.
Hotel staff was helpful in setting up excursions that we wanted to do. The rooms were up to date and had lots of space.
I am a picky critical traveler and I was very happy with this trip. We will be returning again.
We traveled early in the week and an off time so we were given extra care because we didn't come in with a larger group of travelers.
We visited Tulum ruins a great close historic site, we also managed to squeeze in a visit to snorkel with turtles on Turtle Beach and went swimming with dolphins all in one day. We found that requesting a private tour guide and car for these excursions was cheaper than going with a group. It was a wonderful day. A lesser know gem is the Eco Park. We zip lined and canoed and then dived in the ceynotes with the kids and a guide, of course. This was a great experience for the kids. My in-laws who are in their 70s were even able to go zip lining and canoeing. There were modifications available if they decided not to participate but could still enjoy the day. Everyone we encountered during the trip was extremely helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

1 Thank Meredith M
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know about how your holidays went at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are very happy to hear that you and your family felt at home and that you had a wonderful time in our resort. Our main goal is to provide our guests with the best of experiences and we are proud to hear that we fulfilled your expectations.

We are very grateful for your recognition for our facilities, our delicious food and our beautiful Caribbean beach.

We look forward to having the opportunity of hosting you again the next year!

Kind regards,
New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Awesome vacation during the week of July 23-30. We all had Superior Jr. Suites and they were outstanding, so much room.The food was first class. We ate at the Lindo buffet for breakfast and some lunches. So much variety. We ate dinner at the Hibachi restaurant, all 20 of us around the big cooking stations. Sushi, tempura, lobster, shrimp, chicken and beef. We all left stuffed. We ate twice at the Steak Restaurant and once at the Seafood Restaurant. Both restaurants share a huge seafood buffet in the middle (sushi, crab, mussels, clams, various fish along with so many other buffet items). We had surf & turf (great tenderloin or rib steak with lobster tail). Wonderful other assortments. The pools were great. Loved the swim up bar, set in a little cave for shade from the hot sun. The help all over the resort was awesome. Great concierge for Bldg 64 was Laura. Arranged everything for us. Hugo and Federico at the swim up bar really got to know us and they couldn't do enough for us. Entertainment was very good, but in July, the theatre was very hot with no air or fans. Nice beach, great sand, many palapas. Went kayaking, three members went scuba diving everyday with Dressel Group and some of the older ones rented Segues by the hour to tour the fantastic immense grounds.Two of the group played 18 holes of golf in a well manicured course. Karaoke at night was also a favorite of the twenty something crowd. We celebrated a 75th birthday, a 25th anniversary and a 17 year olds birthday. Who could ask for anything more? Go for it. You will not be disappointed. The grandkids loved the ice cream bar directly above the swim-up bar. They couldn't get enough.Bravo Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

Room Tip: We were centrally located in Bldg. 64. Short walk to pool area and breakfast and lunch venues. Wonde...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank WPevny
Dear guest,

On behalf of the staff and the Management team at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to be a valued guest of our resort.

Our main goal is our guests’ entire satisfaction, so we are glad to hear that we met your expectations and that you noticed our personalized service. We appreciate all the positive points you mentioned about our restaurants, rooms, our entertainment and our staff.

Thank you for your preference. The entire team looks forward to welcoming you and your family back for another great vacation at IBEROSTAR!

Warm regards,
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Let me start off by saying I totally obsessed over trip advisor reviews of this and many other hotels prior to my vacation. My kids (21,15 and 13) have never been out of the Country and I really wanted this to be a special trip…and it was everything I hoped for! I definitely picked the right place. I don't think it was 5 star but def 4 plus so I would rather rate it 5 than 4.

Check in: It was very easy. We arrived around 12 noon with private transportation with Amstar. We walked right up and it only took a few minutes and our room was ready (yay, huge bonus) however although the young girl at check in was very nice she didn't speak the best English. She also really didn't explain much about the hotel. I heard the family next to us getting a full run down of things at the hotel but our lady didn't do any of that. She pointed out a few restaurant locations and our room on a map and then set us free. Would have been nice if we could have gotten a little more info. Good news was I had totally obsessed and read everything I could about the hotel before hand so I knew mostly everything anyway.

Room: We were first floor Bldg 61. It was PERFECT for us. Based on reviews I requested the 3rd food connecting rooms but we got 1st floor and they couldn't change it but at least they were connecting and the Bldg we requested. We had 1 King bed suite and 1 double suite, exactly what we requested. The king bed was rock hard but the doubles were extremely comfy. As soon as we got there we asked for a mattress pad for the King and a roll away in the room with the doubles and both came within 20 minutes. After the 2nd night sleep we got used to the King bed and slept just fine after that. My kids slept great every night. The only problem with the 1st floor is the noise. I do agree with others that it got very noisy in the morning but we didn't need to sleep much past 8 or 9 any way so it really was fine. The part of the pool that we wanted to be hanging at during the day (main pool with music, pool bar and where all activities were) was about 200ft from our room and the lunch and breakfast buffets and ice cream was about that same distance. The a/c worked great and the fans above the bed were a really nice touch. Bathrooms were big and rooms were clean and spacious. It was perfect :) It did make a rather long walk to the lobby for dinner and to the Lindo for shows but I liked the walk back after filling my belly anyway and there is nothing you can do about that with such a big resort. Just make sure you bring comfy shoes!!!! Yes…BRING THEM. Don't worry about looking sexy, just bring your comfiest sandals…you walk... a lot. By day 3 my feet were killing me so I had to resort to wearing those flip fops to dinner. You know, the ones you can't throw away because they are too comfy but boy are they ugly. Yes, I had to wear those the rest of the week.

Pool: we loved it! Beautiful, big and water was perfect! we packed a couple tubes and filled them up by the wave pool store and I highly recommend that. After about 2pm its really hot in that sun so we just hung out in the water and it was so fun watching the games, meeting people at the pool bar, throwing balls, we even tried scuba diving. Filberto at the Pool Bar is excellent and deserves tips so bring extra $ to the pool :) The wave pool was fun but not great but my kids are older so I am sure if they were a little younger they would have loved it. The lazy river hardly moved. Wasn't even worth us wasting our time going in it so we didn't but I am so glad we brought the floating tubes for the main pool.

Entertainment: Star friends were excellent. Especially Carlos, David and Alejandro. They were really funny and entertaining. They played hilarious games out by the pool and the rifle shooting and darts were fun too. The night time shows were very entertaining. William was a great host. Magic show was awesome, Rock show was great 80's music and the few other ones were fun too. We didn't go to a bad one but some were better than others. We really enjoyed this part of the evening after dinner, a good show and then bed. We weren't up much later than that since we were going all day.

Room Service: My son ordered it twice, chicken nuggets and fries for a midnight snack and both times it arrived hot and fairly quick.

Food: Oh the food… well, not horrible but not the greatest. My kids loved it…but they are teenagers and eat everything so they had no complaints whatsoever. I thought breakfast was good. Lots to choose from, fresh fruits and fresh made omelets (thats what I ate every day) waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, yogurt etc. Lunch was the worst of all 3 meals. Pretty much the same buffet everyday and so many carbs (haha). My kids loved the burgers, especially if you go to the beach where they are fresh. I usually love a big salad everyday for lunch and thats something I really missed. The lettuce was just romaine and the dressings were not very good. I ended up eating a later breakfast and chips and guacamole for lunch the last few days. I could have skipped lunch all together really. Dinner was our favorite meal for sure. We ate at the Japanese twice…it was excellent. Both chefs were amazing and the food tasted great on both nights. Definitely a family favorite and I would recommend booking more than once. The Mediterranean (at the Lindo) was also excellent. I had steak and lobster and it was the best steak I had there. The Seafood at the Maya was also excellent, the Steakhouse at the Maya was just ok in our opinion. We had reservations there 2 nights and canceled the 2nd night bc it was just ok. We also ate at the Lindo buffet up by the lobby…by choice! It was excellent. We accidentally found it one night looking for ice cream and wished we had gone there for every buffet. It was the best buffet out of them all (hands down) and even dinner, both times we went (international night and Oriental night) was really, really good. I highly recommend going to the Lindo Buffet up by the lobby for any and all buffets that you go too. It has the most selection and freshest food by far. The ice cream place on top of the pool bar had the best tasting and best selection of ice cream. I really wanted to go to the Brazilian restaurant but they were booked 2 weeks in advance. If you want to try that one I recommend emailing and getting your reservation in advance, they do allow you to reserve up to 3 restaurants before you arrive.

The beach: It was nice and beautiful but we are more pool people. We did walk down a few days to play some games and go for walks. We also went on Wednesday for lunch, they have a paella bbq with yummy sangria :) We went down the last day to ride the kayaks or the boats and unfortunately we weren't allowed to take them out bc the wind was blowing the wrong way. I wish we had tried to do this sooner in the week if I would had known the wind effected the usage. Keep that in mind if this is on your "to do" list. Its not just bad weather, its the way the wind is blowing.

Shopping Center: Nice touch to the resort. We went over and got some yummy tacos at the taco place for lunch (highly recommend this to mix up lunch) and well, of course, more ice cream. Some nice stores too. The Spa looked beautiful but we just toured it, didn't use it. The gym was super crowded and not many weights. Didn't get much of a good workout, not sure if it was because of the change in venue or the 12 ice cream cones and 32 alcohol drinks at the pool bar the day before (OK so slight exaggeration but thats what I felt like by mid week). I decided the rest of the week to do my work outs in the pool with a drink in my hand. Seemed much more reasonable :)

Staff: Everyone was very friendly. Did not meet a rude or unfriendly person. Karina our concierge for our Bldg was very nice and helpful.

Wifi: Worked flawlessly in our rooms, by the pool and in the Lobby.

All in all I have to say this place was perfect for our family trip. My kids had the time of their lives and thought we were staying at a 5 star Ritz Carlton. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated and is very clean. People are always cleaning and picking up. We did take 2 excursions (One was to Selvatica and it was AWESOME!) and the other to swim with the Dolphins which they loved too. I thought leaving the resort twice for a week stay was perfect. We had plenty of time to hang and chill by the pool but also mixed it up a little with leaving 2 days. I will go back again and again if I can afford to :)

Room Tip: Building 61 was perfect location if you want to be close to the pool bar, Ice cream and buffets.
4 Thank kristawoods
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya with other TripAdvisor readers.

We appreciate your recognition for our service and our well kept facilities. Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will be forwarded to our team as we know they will be happy to read them!

In regard to your comment about our Front desk staff, we would like to inform you that we are taking part in several initiatives and programs for the reinforcement of training of our employees in specific areas or situations. We will send your observation onto our Front Desk Managers for their consideration.

We are confident that you will be staying again at IBEROSTAR and as such, we sincerely look forward to your next visit. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Our family was here for seven nights from July 16 to 23 and we had a blast! We have never been to this resort before and my wife had never been to the Playa Del Carmen area and son never to Mexico. We all thought it was a great place. Our son is 13 1/2 and while there is no teen club, there are plenty of activities to keep them occupied throughout the day. He was able to meet other kids almost daily. While we have been on cruises and once you meet a friend you have them the entire cruise, this was a little different for him as he would meet someone and they might be leaving the next day or in two days. Even with this he was able to continue to meet kids and have fun. We all thought the pool water was a little warm but that does happen this time of year. The ocean temp was great as you could find cooler areas. You did have to be careful getting in and out of the ocean as there was a fair amount of rocks that you had to navigate through. We tried to stay on the far right side of the beach as this area seemed to have the least amount of rocks. If you want a front row seat on the beach you need to get up at 5:00 to 5:30 am to grab one. Otherwise as long as you hit the beach by 7:30, you could still get chairs and a umbrella hut to give you shade. The sun was intense while we were there so we tried to get in the shade when we were out of the water. There were plenty of chairs at the ocean and around the pools. As always, if you wanted prime seats you needed to get there early. The wave pool was small and we didn't spend that much time there and the lazy river was really lazy. You almost had to paddle your self around and it was pretty small. We bought tubes at Wal-Mart before we left and brought them with us but ended up using them more in the ocean with the surf. We all thought the food was really good. We ate at specialty restaurants every night and by sending an email to the hotel a week of two in advance, you are able to book your first three nights of dinner before you arrive. One of the things that we thought they could do better at was letting you know when there are dinners on the beach. This happened a couple of times when we were there but no one ever told us. We got lucky once and did book the dinner on the beach which was very fun. You sit at larger tables so you get to meet other people and then it's a buffet but the food was great. Most of the restaurants had appetizer bars that were unbelievable. Even if you didn't like the food choices on the menu (which never happened) you could live on the appetizer bar. One other note on the restaurants, it you want to eat at the Italian one, book it through the email. It's actually at the sister resort but it seems like its connected to the Maya. We never ate there as it was booked out about 7 days. The rooms were also very nice for what you pay. They were changing mattresses while we were there so the last five nights we got to sleep on a new mattress. The cleaning service came twice a day to clean the room and change linens/towels and then at night for turn down and another change of towels. If you needed anything in the room, room service was an easy phone call and they would bring it right to you. Beers and drinks in the room refrigerator are also included. Our AC would only go down to 21 at night so it was a little sticky sometimes. On the last night we found out that some rooms went to 13, 14, & 18. I think you could call about this and they might change the controls in your room. This was a great place to go and I know I wouldn't have a problem with getting my family back there..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us and the online community of TripAdvisor how your summer vacations went.

We are happy to hear that you have noticed some of the new improvements we are making and for all the positive points you mentioned, such as our beautiful facilities, our friendly staff and our marvelous Caribbean beach.

As far as our pools and beach sunchairs go, we are sorry you had to endure the situation described. It is indeed not permitted to reserve chairs, but this practice is still done and fairly difficult to resolve. We are, however, looking into the best way to stop this practice so that all our guests can fairly and equally enjoy a bit of shade.

We are grateful for all your comments. We look forward to having the opportunity of hosting you once again in the near future!

Best regards,
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We are extremely pleased with our experience at Iberostar. We stayed in the Paraiso Maya which also gave us access to the other resorts. The staff is amazing!!! They never tired of our questions. I will certainly be back.

I also agree with August G that guests were reserving chairs early in the AM, that was the most inconvenient side of the trip. However, that is a guest problem. We booked through Amex and had no problems with any aspect of the reservation.

The two maids that took care of our room were absolute gems!!!! Kudos to them. Great job Iberostar!!!!!

Room Tip: Guests have to look at the layout and see what is best for them
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent vacation in Mexico.

We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel. Your kind comments about our staff are very much appreciated.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, so that you can have another wonderful holiday.

Kind regards,
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,981 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,726 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!