“Back again, it never gets old!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 4, 2014

After being to the Iberostar Playa Paraiso Complex 10 times, and the fourth time at the Maya, you would think the resorts would leave you with one of those "been there, done that" feelings, quite the opposite. The most important things like the detail to the landscaping, the attention to service, the quality of the food, the attention to the little details by the housekeeping staff, the quality of entertainment and of course the ability of a couple bartenders to even remember what you drink, not from this visit but the previous one, makes this the only place I will ever visit. When we arrived at the resort, at check-in, and the clerk says with a large smile, "Welcome home", you truly feel at home. I read many reviews about this and other resorts and am always amazed at the negative comments. Not to say there have been any problems but, the problems NEVER resulted in more than an inconvenience and never a reason to condemn the whole vacation. This place is large and to truly see all of its attributes you have to walk, or catch the trolley at the Del Mar lobby bar but only after getting a drink from Dimitri. After several years of going to the resort, it is a pleasure to see the same faces and to find they remember you. Whether it is the bartenders Victor or Dimitri it is always a pleasure. Most of the shows are sort of repetitive but they are always entertaining. The guests make the variations in the shows. The "Star Friends" help in making the visit memorable. David, Nancy and Diego helped in making this one memorable. Overall the trip was VERY good and VERY needed. Having been to the resort through a number of life changes (loss of a child, loss of a parent and loss of a spouse) and during a couple of economic changes, the resort is always my "home" in Mexico. I will continue to use the IBEROSTAR name as a standard in vacation travel destinations.

Room Tip: If you want a great room and don't care about the walk or calling for a cart ride to the restura...
6  Thank justgeorgef
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya staff and Managers, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacation.

We are grateful to know that you were satisfied with our services and amenities offered, and that you had a great experience with us.

Our mission is to create great memories by ensuring that our guests have the most relaxing and pampered experience and it is a great honor to know we continue accomplishing this goal day by day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your now home away from home for many more memorable experiences.

Warm regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,106)

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I had my wedding at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya in early April 2014 and it was awesome. I was very nervous about things going wrong, or my guests not liking the resort because I read ALOT of tripadvisor reviews....keep in mind people who don't like something are more likely to write a review. Anyways, once we got there and met with the wedding coordinator my worries went away. Below are some quick pros/cons about the resort/wedding.

Some Cons:
- The resort is huge and you will get a little lost the first day or two, if you don't like walking this isn't the place for you. While it's easy to get around, there is some walking involved to go to restaurants, bars, disco, spa.
- The food isn't extraordinary, but it's good if you eat at the right places. Breakfast buffets are fine anywhere. For lunch, they make awesome paella on the beach pretty much any day between the Maya and the Lindo, otherwise the lunch buffets near the pools and at the beach aren't that great. If you venture to the shopping mall, the taco place is great! and you can get a crepe next door - all included. For dinner, the only good buffet is at the Lindo - we ended up eating a couple of dinners, breakfasts and lunches there once we discovered it!. Eat there the first night, because you won't be able to get a dinner reservation. For reservations, definitely eat at the steakhouse, the japanese (it's fun, hibachi style), and seafood places. Make reservations with the concierge as soon as you get there.
- I read the beds are hard, so I made sure all of my guests got the mattress toppers, and no one complained. We thought the beds were fine.

Some Pros:
- All of the rooms are huge, like suites! We didn't have any problems with our room, but a few people had to get little things fixed like the safe or the phone. I made sure all of my guests were in buildings 60 and 61 - closest to the beach and big pool with swim up bar.
- Don't overlook the spa or the golf course - they are both excellent!
- The water is gorgeous! and while it is a bit windy on the beach, the waves are fun - I'm used to Pacific ocean waves that slam into you, but these waves are fun to play in.
- Plenty of activities for all! My wedding group had ages 7 to 77, and all were entertained!
-If you are having your wedding here, I highly recommend the beach for your reception/dancing as well as the ceremony. And I highly recommend Doromixx for your DJ (they are more expensive but well worth it) with the light up dance floor. We brought all of our own music but they "DJ-ified" it and made it sound awesome. Everyone danced on the beach for 3+ hours straight and had a blast!

Room Tip: Building 60 and 61 are closest to beach and pool with big swim up bar.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Erin S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear guest,

We are happy that your wedding celebration has been exactly as you planned and that your guests have felt pampered in our resort. Your experience may encourage other travelers to choose us as their vacation destination in Mexico, so thank you very much for this review.

We are also glad that you have enjoyed our facilities and one of the specialties of our chef: the paella on the beach. All your observations will be taken into consideration by him.

We have internal transportation for those guests who prefer to move around more comfortably, and keep working to make this service more efficient for our guests.

Once more thank you for your recommendation and for choosing us, we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was our second visit to Iberostar Paraiso Maya and we again had a very wonderful time. The
staff very pleasant and did everything possible to always satisfy us in any way they could. The
food has always just been OK. There's always a ton of choices but not always the type of thing my wife and I enjoy. Sometimes had food that had been sitting in warmer for period of time a buffets, and it was just warm, not Hot.
We typically have an early dinner at around 6:30 PM when out on Vacation. Following dinner if there could be some sort of Nightly entertainment at an earlier time then 9:30 PM. Did not see
shows on a number of nights because by 9:30 we had some what wound down and were not wanting to go back out to see that nights entertainment. Maybe have two after dinner shows.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ltpreville

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us once again to enjoy your vacations in our resort.

We are very proud to hear that our staff lived up your expectations and did everything in their hands to make you feel happy during your visit, they will be congratulated.

Regarding our food temperature, we would like to mention that our hotel has a specific Health & Safety Department which works in association of an independent company that is in charge of verifying temperatures, hygiene procedures and food & beverage handling. At the buffet area, efforts are made to avoid food getting cold: temperature is checked constantly, platters are not filled completely and they are changed more often. However, being in open air or with A/C does influence on the food temperature while guests go around the restaurant filling up their plate. We will keep following this up to make sure everything is in perfect condition.

We are sorry you had not the opportunity to see our shows; we have sent your recommendations to our Entertainment Manager, which are always welcome.

Thank you for your trust in us; we hope to host you in the near future and provide you the great service you deserve.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We once again had a wonderful holiday at the Iberostar. It has been our 5th time there and it was as always excellent. The staff went out of their way to please and serve you. The food is
unbelievable and the entertainment is also really good.

2  Thank Ina490

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel on Trip Advisor.

We are honored to receive comments like yours where let us know that you had another memorable experience.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel for your 6th visit to our brand and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

IBEROSTAR Mexico.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I had been to the peninsula before in Cancun and in Maroma in wonderful hotels and this hotel was not as good as the ones I'd been before for several reasons. We had booked rooms at Paraiso Lindo but when we got there they told us there were not rooms available and they sent us to Paraíso Maya. The problem is that they didn't give us any information, they just give you a brochure to check and that was all, there were no recommendations. We didn't know many things that we found out after being there for 6 days!!! we didn't know that there was a shuttle to get to playa del carmen for $ 5 dollars, there wasn't enough information about the activities or restaurants. We had to walk a lot to get to one place to another to realize that for example there wasn't a buffet in that place. We traveled with friends in our 60s and we had a hard time getting from one hotel to another and there were only the golf carts that we had to call to pick us up and take us to the restaurants or shopping malls. There weren't enough for all the guests since these hotels are huge. I think that because they are so big, the service is not good. Every day we had problems with something not working in our room : the air conditioning, the tub, the sink was clogged, there weren't enough towels or the phone wasn't working. ACtually, when we called they came to help us, but these things shouldn't happen. One day one of my husband's t shirt was gone and they had to look for it for 2 days because apparently the maid had taken it with her when she was changing the sheets. About the food I have to tell that the buffets were all good, but the restaurants were a disappointmen as well as the service there. The worst was the French one in which they served us one dish for another. The brie cheese wasn't brie and then they accepted it after our complaint that it wasn't but there were no apologies. The lobster was a disaster. We came from Peru where we have certain knowledge about food, and we felt lied to about the food that was served. The other restaurants were average, I think we ate better at the buffets. We could never find a reservation for the Italian restaurant;however, in several occassions when we were in a restaurant where we started eating at 9p.m we could see only one more table with guests and in some occassion they started moving the chairs and cleaning while we were eating and it was only 10p.m! The hotel in general was clean and nice but too big, so If you want a more personalized attention as I expected, this is not for you.

Room Tip: Rooms number 60.. and on are closer to the beach and have a private spa. Very relaxing.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Roxana24

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on this medium.

We are sorry that we could not meet your expectations with the food in our restaurants, our Executive Chef is working everyday on offering a gastronomy that will fulfill the satisfaction of our guests, he will take your review into consideration.

Likewise we offer an apology for the inconveniences that you found in your room; it is important to mention that we have a maintenance program about our rooms and our areas to keep them in perfect condition. We are happy to know that our staff assisted you with your concerns, and please be sure that we will keep working on preventing these issues.

In regard to your comment about our service, we feel sad to read that you did not get the desired attention; we are conscious that our staff is fundamental for the happiness of our guests; we can assure you that we will take actions to help our staff provide an efficient service.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We could not get reservations to another place in the Riviera Maya where we have gone for ten years so I booked at the Iberostar Maya last year. Therefore, I compared everything to the former place. The Maya has nicer pools and has a better swimmable area than our former choice. This is where we spend most of our time as a family. Our former choice allowed us to eat at restaurants without reservations but the Maya did not disappoint because we did not have to wait for hours and places were air conditioned. Staff even came around at the beach with popsicles. It is a friendly and clean place. So this year I booked at the Iberostar but we could not book at the Maya because they did not have rooms through our agent so we are the del Mar for June 21-28. I hope it is just as good. I will post again with an update.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BeachDebi

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel last year.

We are very happy to hear that our amenities fulfilled your expectations; your kind comments are very much appreciated. They will be forwarded to the managers of the staff that you mentioned in your review so that they know of your impression and experience of your stay with us.

Thank you for your preference to our brand, we are sure that your visit at our sister resort will be very relaxing.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have just returned to the UK from IPM this morning following a great 2 week break.
We had visited the resort with family 4 years ago and did have reservations about returning due to the fact that we had all ended up ill at some point during our stay. We had a disappointing family holiday at the Moon Palace 2 years ago, mainly down to the diabolical standard and timing of entertainment an inconsistent quality of food, so decided to give the Maya another chance and am so glad.
Hubby and I were visiting along with our Daughter, her Boyfriend and their 9 month old.
We had initially requested rooms with King size beds but on check-in they apologised that they only had one king size and one with 2 doubles close to each other.When we got to the rooms we realised they were inter connecting with separate entrances from each side so we weren't intruding on each other but it came in so handy for sharing the care of the little one.
As on our previous stay we were taken aback by the overall cleanliness of the resort, but must agree with other contributors that the rooms could do with some updating. Bed was comfortable and air con quiet. Cot they quickly brought to the room was a wooden one but very small and baby wasn't too keen so spent most nights cuddled up with one of us adults.

We never had any trouble finding sunbeds, either at the beach or pool, even on the mornings we were later in getting up, although did note some guests reserving their same spaces each day by leaving towels, flip-flops sun cream etc from early on despite notices everywhere that this was not permitted.

We ate in the A le carte restaurants on all but our first night and didn't have any difficulty getting booked, sometimes on the same day. The Japanese and Steakhouse are the best. The Mediterranean at the Lindo side of the pool (formerly the Italian) is also pretty good. On our first visit their one of our party fancied a ribeye steak and the waiter was very accommodating and sent out to the steakhouse for one but on the second visit we were told this wasn't possible.
The only other downside was that the service was sometimes a little less attentive than on our previous stay but cant blame the staff as they did appear to have cut back slightly. And hey, no dodgey bellies, and no trouble finding something for the little one to eat.

The entertainment was very good, between the professional shows and the 'you are the entertainment' game shows. The Star Friends work tirelessly and extremely long hours to keep the guests happy and entertained and always have the time to stop for a chat, even with guests that are not wanting involved with the activities, without being pushy. A big Hi to Martin and Diego.

Room Tip: Most reviewers are recommending blocks 62 and 63. We were in 65 and liked the fact we never had far...
1  Thank Cazza26_12
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our resort.

We also thank you for your nice comments regarding our hard working staff, Mr. Martin and Mr. Diego will be glad to know that they were part of your happiness.

It is great to know that you really appreciated the food in our restaurants, our shows and our facilities in general.

We hope you will be staying again at our hotel as we would be pleased to pamper you once again!

Best regards,

7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!