“Absolutely wow!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This November it was my 3rd trip to the wonderful resort of Iberostar Playa Paraiso, exactly at Paraiso Maya this time.

The Hotel is wonderful, the rooms are very big, bathtub with whirlpool, very large beds, nice view outside the room and a lot of more very pleasant things inside the room.

A huge choice of restaurants, and bars and nice scenery made our stay perfect. I love the animals around the resort, especially the coatis.

I love the pools, and especially the swim-up bar with very gentle bar tenter like Filiberto at the Lindo Pool.The beach is amazing to, although the ocean was a bit rough, we enjoyed swimming in it in some calmer parts.

The drinks, the food, there is absolutely nothing negative that I can say. We enjoyed our 12 days at this wonderful resort and got back home very relaxed.

The weather wasn´t good all of the time, just some very rainy days, but you can´t blame anyone on the weather, just do the best of the rainy times there.

Thanks to the very gentle staff of the whole Iberostar Resort for our wonderful vacation, and for sure not for our last trip to mexico and Iberostar, we will come back :) !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrittaL73
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear client,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent family vacation.

Thank you for this feedback, we really appreciate your recognition to our service. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities! We do our best in order to provide to our guests the best of holidays, and to receive these lovely comments by one of our repeat customers is really gratifying.

Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and for your loyalty and preference. We look forward to seeing you again in 2014 at our hotel!

Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed November 21, 2013

The statues, art and decor were amazing. The grounds were spread out so I didn't feel confined into one hotel. The food was delicious with plenty of choices to select from. The staff was courteous and helpful. Many activities are available; most are included as part of the vacation package. Don't miss the beach party where paella was prepared over an open fire. It was excellent. Take a day tour to the ruins in Talum and the park at Xelha. Great snorkeling.
It was a wonderful vacation week. I hope to go back again.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Marlys1

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We are really glad to know you are coming back to our resort and appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our resort, and our Paella on the beach. Your kind comments are very much appreciated. They will be forwarded to our Management so that they know of your impression and experience of your stay with us.

Thank you for your preference and for your excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve!

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just got back from the Iberostar Maya 11-8 to 11-15. First I would like to say that my family and I have been to Moon palace all inclusive resorts, and Riviera Barcelo Maya beach resort. We are on a mission to find the perfect resort that fits or needs. We also have been to Dreams in the Dominican Republic. Traveling with four adults and two kids age 11&13 sometimes can be very challenging to make everyone happy. The Iberostar Maya was almost the perfect resort for us. The only thing that everyone had in common was the beach. The water gets really rough at times and your not able to use the kayaks or sail boats that are offered to you. The water color is really beautiful a slight mint green color. The Riviera Barcelo Maya had the perfect beach. The water is the light blue Caribbean water. I compare the water to Tulum Eco water. However I wish Iberostar had the same beach as Barcelo Maya, The water is clam and you are able to use the kayaks or sail boats and snorkel with the fish, they also have a pier that have all different kind fish that you can swim with at Barcelo. With that being said that was one big thing that my family missed. The Iberostar Maya rooms are very clean down to the shower towels which is a very big deal to me. Having clean towels make or break the stay for me. The rooms are far from the beach. Room tip: request 3rd floor. The Iberostar is an Echo-Friendly resort so the mangrove swamp ecosystem are the view if you don't know what area to request. We had to change rooms to the 3rd floor. Try to request the building closest to the beach, really its not fun when you forget something in your room and have to go back. I would say that it is about a 10 min walk if you are in building 64. The food is the best out of all the resorts we have stayed. The restaurants and the buffet. The drinks are amazing we up grade so we got top shelf never disappointed. The staff is very friendly and helpful I would say the best that we have experienced. We did not get that service at Barcelo. Another tip: about the airport transportation we have always paid about $300 for 6 people private transportation from the vacation package. We always thought that was the best thing to do. This trip we got smart we used USA airport transportation for 6 people we paid $95.00. USA had new vans and were never late to and from airport. This trip was amazing even with the rain the Entertainment was amazing very close to Moon palace entertainment. Barcelo entertainment not so good. Every trip we go on we compare resorts. Next trip I'm looking for is an Iberostar Playa Del Carmen. Hopefully we get a beach like Riviera Barcelo maya. I hope this help someone that compare resorts like us. I gave this resort a five star because it was amazing. Its just us we are picky about the beach.

Room Tip: Building 60-61 third floor would be the best location.
3  Thank CARIBEANFUN

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers.

We are certainly delighted to hear that you had a memorable experience at our resort with the rooms, pools, food and the Caribbean atmosphere! Our animation team truly deserves praise, they work really hard to make your holiday special, we will pass on your comments!

We are happy you decided to come back to Iberostar. Either our colleagues in Playa del Carmen or us would be thrilled to serve you!

Iberostar Mexico!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Our family just spent 2 weeks at the Iberostar Maya (Nov 2 to 16) our party consisted of 8 adults ages 40 to 72 years along with 4 children ages 3 to 12 . We are all seasoned travellers and to say that we were completely satisfied would be an understatement, we lacked for nothing. From pick-up at the airport to drop off at the airport we were treated like very good friends that came for a visit. The staff at the hotel couldn't be more helpful, friendly or courteous. The pool staff treated the children (all girls) like they were princesses and the children's entertainment after supper was a must for them. The buffets were superb nothing was missing anything that one could think of was available breakfast, lunch and dinner. The speciality restaurants, the food was very good, the service impeccable. We had jr.suites and superior jr.suites all were very large, spotless clean and kept that way by very friendly and accommodating cleaning staff. Everyday a different folded towel animal on the bed was a nice touch The grounds of the hotel and the beach were also kept spotless. We came to celebrate a birthday and never stayed at an Iberostar hotel before, with the kids we were a bit apprehensive but we need not have been. We were completely satisfied! A wonderful holiday, a great hotel and a great place to visit. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with or without children

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
3  Thank Don669

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for this feedback, we really appreciate your recognition for our service. We are happy to hear that you took advantage of facilities and you enjoyed your stay so much with your family.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future and hopefully you will consider us your Mexican home away from home!!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

If you have kids, wow, this is the place.
If no kids, still superb.

A year ago we were first-timers. Stayed at Lindo. Maya = nice upgrade this time for us. Especially great if you are staying upstairs and need elevator. Also a couple of restaurant upgrades. And wifi.

Food at Marina seafood place a plus. Lobster two nights in a row, mariachi band in there once. Lindo buffet is still our favorite for all other meals. Whole baby pig one night, roasted duck the next, and always two or three or four fresh fish options. Plenty of fresh fruit. Excellent chocolates and desserts.

We came for the ocean but wanted very good food and it did not disappoint, again. Add a nice carousel at their shopping center. And really nice nightly shows at the Lindo theatre. How do you beat this place?!

We stayed top floor building 61. But my little kiddo is so enthralled by the pirate ship at building 65 I'll stay there next time to overlook it, plus be closer to the buffets and shows.

Mornings we can shlepp down to the beach until say 1 or 2 when lunch is going on. Then hit the waterpark -pirate ship and/or wave pool. Then we can slip up to our room, change, go to the shopping center carousel, then back to the show, then bed. Bed was soft enough. That building closest to the lobby would have saved us walking alot in this scenario.

Really seriously, this place is the bomb.
Met the best folks from all over, too.

Room Tip: All good but next time we'll save steps and stay in Building 65. Closer to the stuff we back an...
2  Thank EofDenver
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Let us begin by thanking you for choosing to vacation at our lovely resort and of course for taking the time to send us your comments about your experience.

We are very happy to know that you and your family had a memorable experience at our hotel and are pleased to know that you were so pleased with our new facilities and services.

Thank you for loyalty; we genuinely hope that if ever returning to the Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to visit us again, as we would consider it an absolute pleasure to serve you.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Maya...4 seniors, my famil with 2 girls aged 10 and 12 and my brother's family with 2 girls aged 3 and 5. It was a perfect place to stay and everything was wonderful. I use trip advisor a lot and appreciate the advice so here are a few things:

ROOMS: We were in buidling 61 which was a perfect location near the big pool with swim up bar, pool activities, 2 buffets and the boardwalk to the beach. It is a walk to the lobby, yes...but beautiful grounds and all undercover. If you like to nap in the afternoon the pool can be loud though so bring earplugs. My brother was on the other side of 61 and they could not use their patio for the mosquitos :o( We had the junior suite and moved the couch up and the bed down to separate us from the kids...there is a small partition...and this worked very well. My parents had the superior suite and the only difference was a few extra feet in the sitting room, they had a couch and 2 chairs, we had only a couch but no one sat in the sitting room anyway. I wouldn't pay more. On the first day ask the concerige to tell housekeeping to replace what ever you use or they won't daily. We had them take out the pop, add more water (plus bottles on the counter) and replace the 4 beer daily.
FOOD: Was excellent. There was always something for everyone and even after 2 weeks I was not tired of the choices. The beach burders and tacos were great, the day they made paella on the beach was the best ever! We made our reservations 2 weeks in advance so we could eat as a group at 6:30. Only place I didn't love was the Cajun...maybe I just don't like Cajun. The French is a great date night with no kids and the japanese tepanyaki was so fun! Many people complain about the food but all things considered it was better than expected. Also remember you can order off the menu for lunch and breakfast at the buffet..sometimes a nice change.
The staff were friendly and kind, the grounds beautiful, the beach was best directly in front of the towel exchange...off to either sides there are some hard racks set in the sand that are difficult to see but painful to hit!
The only thing that did not meet expectations was the gym...there are ONLY one set of each weight of free weights which was very annoying as the machines are antiquated and fit properly only those 5'9" or taller. 4 women trying to share one single set of 10 pound dumbells was super frustrating! There were mats and steps and 1 ball but no bosu, trx, kettle ball, medicine ball...anything that made it convenient to work when the weights were not available. They need to turn up the AC and dehumidify. I know you don't go on vacation to work out but to eat and drink like we did most people have to and it was just too difficult to get a good hard work out in early and quickly ;o(
Overall we were all very pleased with everything and would recommend this resort to families...can't wait to return!

Room Tip: building 61 or 62
3  Thank 424traveller

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts once again by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent vacation.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about our resort. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel. We really appreciate your recognition for our facilities, our service and our delicious food.

We apologize about you discomfort about our gym equipment. Your suggestions will be passed on to the Department head.

We look forward to serving you again and endeavor to exceed your expectations even further on your next visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I have now visited the Iberostar Paraiso Maya 4 times; we enjoyed it so much on our first visit in 2008 that going back again and again has been an easy choice.

I'd recommend pre-arranging an airport shuttle when you book your trip-- it just makes it easy to walk past all of the "excursion" vendors when you exit the baggage claim and immigration at Cancun airport. The ride to the Iberostar Playa Paraiso is a pretty short drive (roughly half hour, depending stops for passengers at other resorts).

The Maya lobby greets you with amazing marble floors and huge replica statues. Check-in usually moves pretty quickly. Let them take the luggage to your room and since you now have the "magic bracelet" on, you should head into the Pyramid Bar and let your vacation begin. FYI if your arrival is little early, and you are hungry, have a staff member drive you over --or take a quick walk-- to the Lindo lobby; their lunch buffet is good until you can get to your room.

The Maya has multiple buildings stretching along the pools (the other side of the pools is the Lindo). We've stayed in different buildings each trip. Closer to the beach is nice, but its longer to get to the lobby, of course. And staying by the pool does mean you will have pool noise (and music) until it quiets down just before dinner. I most enjoyed the stay when we faced the small courtyard...quiet balcony time in the morning is great with my cup of coffee.

The pool closest to the beach has a wide shallow area along one side, and nice waterfalls that muffle some of the resort noise and we've never found it to be crowded. Chairs on the Lindo side on the back of the wave-pool pyramid also have great waterfall ambiance. We tend to alternate beach and pool time... the wind on the beach feels great when the sun starts scorching. Regardless of pool or beach, we've never experienced a lack of available chairs, and we don't play that game of running and reserving them first thing in the morning; some chairs do have towels on them by people you never see, but again, we always find place to sit.

There are activities for those who are interested, and the resorts "Star Friends" do a great job entertaining guests... never pushy, always friendly. Friendly is a good point and one of the draws for us here; from the lobby to the maid service to the landscapers...everyone always is smiling and stops their task for a moment to offer a Hola as you pass by,. Just great people! The beach and pool waiters/waitresses are also super friendly and never let us go thirsty. (While you do not have to tip, we do -- just a dollar or two for our drinks. These hard working people appreciate it... but service is *never* worse if you don't tip.)

The grounds are lovely-- take time to walk around... they are meticulously kept...flowers and statues around every turn. The courtyards of the buildings even have great detail!

Drink is plentiful... may not be "top shelf" at the pool bar... but I've never had anything of poor quality. The restaurants and sports bar offer additional selections. Food is good. Has been the same menu each of our visits, which is okay; it's what I expected. Again, never anything bad... always some option to select even for a picky eater. Vary your evening dinner location to mix up the food options. (Make reservations with the concierge at your building...super easy process!!). The Japonaise hibachi place is fun, and the seafood place has never ending crab legs and lobster. I have to also say I am a sucker for coconut and Iberostar has a delicious coconut ice cream!

The shows that the staff puts on are fun...though by the end of a full day of sun and swimming, after a meal and some cocktails, we usually enjoy walking around the resorts. The Paraiso Beach and Del Mar are past the Lindo; staying at the Maya gives you access to all four... Check them out... even just to see the different decor. We still like the Maya best.... but the Lindo lobby is lovely too. The Grand is the only property above the Maya, so you wont have access there but can arrange for a tour if you are so inclined.

Rooms; clean, spacious. Large bed if you get the King. Couch/chairs in a sitting area and chairs on the balcony. Bathroom has large tub and separate shower; basic toiletries, hair dryer. Mini bar (included-- and ask for what you want; maid service will stock it to your request, i.e. all diet soda or more water, or certain beer that they offer). Coffee pot, iron/board and in-room safe.

I would recommend Iberostar Playa Paraiso for couples, or families with our without kids (of any age), as we have seen all these during each of our visits and they all had plenty to do (or not...if relaxation is the goal) and looked to be having a good time.

Enjoy!

(BTW- most recent trip was actually June 2012, but just now started putting reviews on Trip Advisor.)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SandonthebrainJorie
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear client,

We would like to use this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at our family resort. We would also like to take a moment to thank you for taking time to write a review for Trip Advisor about your experience at our hotel.

We are glad to read that you took advantage of our facilities. It is also a pleasure to know that you had a great time with our staff.

Thank you for your loyalty; we are quite confident that you will be returning to our beautiful resort in the future and as such, we look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!