“Wedding scouting trip”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was a mom and daughter scouting trip for a wedding in June 2014. We saw a wedding take place at the hotel and it was lovely. Family said that the resort treated them great and everything went perfect. Wedding coordinators did a great job in keeping people from walking behind the "alter" and interferring with the wedding. Rooms were huge and clean! Loved the hammock chair on the balcony. We were third floor, building 61. Great view of pool. The room was a comfortable cool, and there is a ceiling fan in the room with the beds and in the family room. We asked for extra bottled water and it was left in the room. The resort is beautiful and BIG. Like all resorts of this type you will walk alot. Dinner was excellent. We ate one night at the seafood restaurant and one night in the steak resturant. We are from Texas so I thought we would be disappointed in the steak. Both the filet and the rib eye melted in our mouths! We ordered them medium well, and that is exactly how they came, with a think pink line in the middle. The last day I was not feeling well and they were very nice to get a cart for me to go from one end of the resort to the other. I made sure and tipped them. Staff was very nice, spoke good English and very helpful. Take note, there are no rooms at the Maya that have a beach view, lovely gardens and pool, but no ocean/beach view. We feel very confident that we made the right decision in having our wedding there, and will report back when it is over. I would recommend the Maya any day. It was our first visit to an Iberostar and we will definitely stay with them in other countries. Thanks and Gig 'Em !

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya and for taking the time to share your review about your experience.

It is really an honor for us to know that you have chosen us to celebrate your wedding, which we will ensure is outstanding and an unforgettable event.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Iberostar Mexico.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at end of August'13 and here is feedback:
Accommodation- rooms are huge, nice hammock on the balcony. Buildings have elevators, which is a huge help if you have kinds and strollers. Rooms are stocked up with everything you might need. Maid cleaned our room twice a day, which was a big surprise for us, and they left some chocolate and even a card with a poem after evening cleaning.

Food - I personally liked buffets more than restaurants, just because it's easier to dine there when you have an infant, who has it's own schedule. Both options were great- food is fresh and delicious.

Concierge service- not helpful at all, since they don't have any tools in order to share info with guests. We had to tell them exactly what we want, when asked questions - they don't know too much about anything.

Pools/Beach- very large and clean. I saw a guy who has been taken water samples every morning in order to check for chlorine levels - this is great practice. Beach in nice and clean as well, waitresses are always around and ready to serve. Towels were not a problem even at 5 pm.

Overall - we really liked this resort, grounds are huge and inviting for a stroll, people are very friendly and always ready to help. Hope, Iberostar will keep it this way when we are back next time!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ana M
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the IberostarParaiso Maya.

We appreciate your taking time to write a review for Trip advisor about your stay with Iberostar; it gives us a great deal of satisfaction hearing that we have been successful in providing you with an outstanding vacation and are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service delivered by our staff.

Regarding your comments about our concierge service, we are concerned about your statement and apologize. We are currently taking part in several initiatives and programs for the reinforcement of training of our employees in specific areas or situations. Our aim is the complete satisfaction of our clients and clearly the service provided by our staff is key.

We are quite confident that you will be returning to our beautiful resort in the future and as such, we look forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here as a family for two weeks (Sept 15th to 29th). Two adults and Two teenage kids. The hotel and grounds are unreal manicured to the nines. Lots of places to swim the pools were very clean the two hot tubs in the middle of the large pool I did not get. Staff was awesome every where's you went they were willing to help and saying hello.
The food was sub par at very best we ate at all the restaurants (except the French) and did not find the food to be very good. The buffet needs some work with more greens then just iceberg lettuce. Being from the Maritimes I had my first steak and lobster....... with gravy. I do know why I never had it before. Mexican food was better at the buffet then what they were serving off the menu. Finally chopped steak over cooked by about 20 minutes with some onion and tomatoes on a tortilla . Steak was good being from Alberta, the baked potato was raunchy it's like they mixed butter and sour cream all into one with a few chives (no toppings to put on top). A lot of frozen food and pre made stuff store bought. Was a few times where i made sandwiches and other people would follow laughing. Bring your own sun screen 25 bucks a pop. smokes 9 bucks a pop. They sell Corona on site 3 bucks a pop.

1  Thank Bill M

Dear client,

Thank you very much for the feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers. Your comments are very helpful to us to evaluate our service.

We regret any dissatisfaction you encountered during your stay, we are very sorry to read that we were not able to fulfill your expectations, especially with our gastronomy. Our Executive Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants and he is always open to read our guests’ comments so that he is sure to go on the right direction.

Please be sure that we have taken note of all your comments and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service.

We wish to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We (my wife and I) are back from another great 1 week visit at the Paraiso making this our 19th. We stayed at the Maya from 25 Sep to 2 Oct and the resort seems to get better and better with each visit and this one kept up with the high standard. I'll try to give you some insight and talk about things that others don't.

As everyone says, the grounds are gorgeous, the beach outstanding and the staff friendly, courteous and very hard working. During our week, many of the staff were on or soon to start their mandatory (no pay) holidays. Since this timeframe is very slow at the resort (occupancy was 35 to 40% at both the Maya and Lindo), each staff member must take 7 days away from work. It provided a much needed break from their standard one day off a week but it wasn't a paid holiday.

We love going to the Maya during this slow period as there are no crowds, the noise level is much lower making for a more relaxing vacation. We don't get to see all the regular staff personnel as they may be away but there are still many we get to see. Since the resort is less populated, the towel game isn't even played, well some do but there is no need to. I have pictures to prove this. Imagine at 9:15 am, less than 20 chairs taken around the entire pool. Between the bridge and the waterfall/wave pool, only 2 chairs taken all morning on both sides - that's where we enjoyed the sun.

Speaking of sun, we were expecting poor weather as the forecasts and other TripAdvisor reports clearly advised but we didn't get a drop of rain while at the Paraiso. All the staff, especially the Star Friends, thanked us for bringing the sunny weather which we'll take credit for (lol). The temperatures were hot and the humidity was extreme. Our average daily temperature in the shade at 11 am was 32°C / 90°F and the water temperature started at 31°C / 88°F and dropped to 30°C / 86°C by the time we departed.

The management offered us a free upgrade to a Superior Junior Suite at the Maya, as we booked with the Lindo, which we gladly excepted. We were told by the management that they are starting to get very strict with upgrades and rewards for returning guests. I made a comment stating, "If everyone who stayed one time at the Lindo got an upgrade to the Maya, then there would be no one staying at the Lindo." The management agreed. Just a heads up for anyone expecting an upgrade on their next visit.

Since we had the privilege to stay at the Maya, we were able to check out all the changes the management had done since our last Jan/Feb visit. Here's some of the things that we identified/confirmed:

Maya improvements:
1. Maya's Wi-Fi is available in the room and around the pool and it's free / included - it's password protected per device so if you have a phone and a tablet/laptop, then you need different passwords,
2. Maya guests could go to the Maya Steakhouse/Seafood without a reservation and enjoy the buffet which was very similar but good each night - we'd go with a reservation and my wife would only have the buffet not the a-la-carte like me,
3. Bermuda / Long Shorts are permitted at all a-la-carte restaurants except the Gourmet (French), I seen various lengths of shorts and some were not Bermuda length hopefully this isn't abused and lost,
4. The Maya (pool-side) breakfast buffet / a-la-carte isn't open now until 7:30 am while the one in the main lobby is opened at 6 am,
5. Maya guests can use all the water facilities at the main spa (over in the shopping center) for free / included,
6. New room safes were recently installed so the keypads are in good working condition,
7. New balcony furniture also added - 2 chairs with very thick seating pad and table,

Lindo improvements:
8. Lindo's Wi-Fi is available in the lobby and it's free / included - room and pool-side Wi-Fi isn't available yet but very soon for a cost. I was told $10US for 2 days??
9. The Lindo (pool-side) breakfast and lunch buffet now have set tables with table cloths and glassware compared to not set, bare tables and plastic glasses,
10. The above buffets also have their windows closed with air conditioning on at both breakfast and lunch as per the Maya pool-side,
11. Bermuda / Long Shorts are permitted as per #3 above,

Other improvements:
12. Most of the loungers around the pool are brand new and many have brand new cushions (blue/white stripes),
13. On the beach, there is now two food stations, one hot and one cold,
14. The picnic (eating area) is three times the previous size,
15. A towel bar has been added to the beach so guests don't need to walk back to the pool for a fresh towel,
16. A thatched roof was added while we were there to cover the ice cream bar - great to cool off with your ice cream cone,
17. The bottom floor of Lindo building 53 on the pool side was getting a fresh coat of paint,
18. The Star Market / restroom building by the wave pool also got a fresh coat of purple paint.

Additional Paraiso improvements:
The Del Mar and Beach lobby now have Wi-Fi capability in the lobby for a fee - basically the older Lindo method.

During our visit, I got a photo of most Lindo and Maya a-la-carte menus. If you would like a copy please click the "Ask gmacpro…" link below and I'll forward them to your email address. For some reason I didn't get the Maya Lunch a-la-carte menu so if you have it, please advise.

Knowing that free upgrades are getting tougher to provide, I did some research while I was on the property so you can do your own research. Find below the rates when we were there, the prices may vary throughout the year:

Upgrade from Beach Resort to Lindo Resort - $50 US per person per night (P/P/N)
Upgrade from Beach Resort to Maya Resort - $90 US P/P/N
Upgrade from Lindo Resort to Maya Resort - $75 per night (note not per person).

I know a family who books the Beach Resort and pays for a Lindo upgrade upon arrival and they say it's cheaper to upgrade at the resort than with their travel agency. You can do the research for your situation.

Effective just over one month ago, the Lindo/Maya attained a new General Manager whom we met during our stay. He's a very nice guy with lots of ambition to improve the resort even more. Let's hope he does as we are heading back in Jan/Feb 2014 for our 20th week.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
47  Thank gmacpro

Dear client,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and Maya for your most recent family vacation. We would also like to express our sincere appreciations to you for taking time to send us your comments on how your holidays went at our resort and also your detailed description of changes that our management makes day after day to keep our lovely guests happy.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, and our service. We try to do our best in order to provide to our guests the best of holidays, and to receive these lovely comments by one of our repeat customers is really gratifying.

Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and for your loyalty and preference. We look forward to seeing you again in 2014 at our hotel!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was a terrific vacation. We had asked ahead of time for a room in building 60 and were accommodated. The room was large and bright, with 2 large closets on the left as you entered,
and the bathroom with jacuzzi tub on the right. Then the main bedroom, with a king bed and about a 40 inch tv. This was followed by a small sitting room with sofa, then an outside balcony, which had shrubbery right to the edge, effectively eliminating any view in or out.
We did not have any sort of mosquito problem, as I've read about in other reviews. I think my wife had one bite, I didn't get any. And this was the rainy season. (We had one afternoon of rain during our one week stay.)
The food was very good. I didn't enjoy my steak at the steakhouse, but you could always ask for something else, and the wait staff were happy to oblige. I don't remember a single hotel employee who passed us without saying "hello", whether in English or Spanish. They were very friendly and eager to speak with you, as well as helping with whatever was needed. I hope I remember the right names, as I'd like to commend Carmen, the room steward, Alindro,
head waiter or manager, who seemed to be in every restaurant, Maria and Juan?, Concierges in building 60, as well as Mar, who we only saw one day. We'd also like to thank William, Irais, Francisco and especially Napoleon (Dynamite!) of the Star Club. They were always so friendly,
making sure we knew of the night's shows, as well as events coming up at the beach or pools.
We took 2 snorkeling excursions, one with Moises at the Best Day counter in the Maya lobby, and one with Eddie, who worked for the Dressel Tours company right at the beach. One tour was to Puerto Moreles, to a small beach club and some terrific snorkeling, and the other, a catamaran ride to Isla Mujeres, including snorkeling, shopping, and a picture holding some kind of a tame shark, which I think was called a whale shark, but not really sure. Both excursions included lunch and drinks, and were well worth it to us. The staffs on both excursions were very professional, with an emphasis on safety. On our catamaran trip, the guide spoke English, Spanish and Italian, and the whole crew were helpful and friendly.
All in all this was the most relaxing vacation we've had in a long time. We'll be heading back to the Paraiso Maya for many years to come!

1  Thank Tfinneg

Dear customer,

Thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our lovely resort to spend your vacation with your family, and of course for sharing your review with other travelers, who, we are sure, will find it very helpful to choose a destination.

We are certainly delighted to hear that you have had a memorable experience at our resort with the rooms, pools, food and the Caribbean atmosphere.

Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff are also greatly appreciated.

We are quite confident that you will be staying again at Iberostar and we therefore anxiously await your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The people here at this hotel were outstanding. They went out of their way to make our stay one to remember. And it did. The bartenders Jose at the main bar of the hotel remember my drink by site. Gio at the swim up bar was the best. Nataniel at the resturants was concsider family by the end of our stay. Alindro the "Boss " that's what I called him of the resturnats we ate at was outstanding. I can on about everyone from the housekeeping to the doormen. If you do not have a great time here you have to be dead.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
4  Thank Jeannie1956

Dear client,

On behalf of the General Manager of Iberostar Paraiso Maya, please allow us to express our genuine gratitude for choosing our resort for your holidays.

Thank you for this feedback, we really appreciate your recognition to our service. Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will also go far way in encouraging our team.

Once more thank you for choosing us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I booked this trip with the Maya for our 20th anniversary, and are very glad we did. We had been to the del Mar a few years ago and decided to upgrade to the Maya.
We had breakfast at one of the buffets every morning, and only had dinner at the buffet (Lindo) our first night. Every other night we were at an a la carte restaurant and were pleased with all of them. A perk of being at the Maya is that each building has it's own concierge. We had no problem booking restaurants for our desired times, They were very accomodating. Our favourite, I would have to say, was El Museo, with is a gourmet restaurant. We both had the lamb, and it was fantastic.
We spent our anniversary dinner at L'Etoile, which was also very nice. My husband brought a bottle of Dom Perignon form Canada to celebrate, and the wine steward (Nathal) was happy to chill and open it for us. The hotel also sent a bottle of sparkling wine to our room the evening before our dinner which was so thoughful.
We did 2 tours through Westjet Vacations, and went to Rio Secreto, which is a walking/wading/swimming tour through a cenote (underwater cave) I sometimes have a bit of a problem with close spaces, but this tour was nothing like that. I never felt unsafe. We were provided with life jackets, helmets, wetsuits, and water shoes. A Mayan lunch was provided as well, after the tour.
The second tour we did was the Coba tour which also included a little kayaking, hiking, rapelling, and zip lining. We also had a traditional Mayan lunch provided with this tour. After the activity we headed over to Coba where our guide did a short tour of the ruins with us and then left us to explore and climb the tallest temple. It is pretty impressive.
We also spent an afternoon in Playa del Carmen. We took the hotel van-$5/person each way. We were dropped off in a gated parking lot, with instructions to return at a certain time to guarantee our trip back. The experience was entertaining,and I returned to the hotel with some beautiful silver jewelry, lol. There are also some very nice shops in the hotel, and the silver shops in the hotel are part of the same chain that we were directed to in Playa del Carmen.
Our transfer back to the airport was seamless, and we have returned back to reality...the only thing that I think I would advise someone of is that if you are looking for Tequila, the good stuff, like Patron, buy it at the duty-free at the airport, it's much cheaper. Lesson learned.
All in all we had a wonderful time and think that all the staff was so very friendly and accomodating. We would like to give Nathal, the wine steward, special recognition. He was great!

Room Tip: We were in Building 31, and were close both to the pool and the beach. The pool has free wifi, and...