“Solid resort for the $$$”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just returned from 9-day stay at the Maya with Wife and two girls, ages 12 and 8. Last year we stayed at the Lindo and wanted to check out the Maya this time. The difference was only $200, so we decided to check it out.
Overall, we had a great time. I had requested a pool view in building #61 and that's exactly what we got. Room was similar to lindo side, but a little larger and a bit more upscale. We had a pull-out sofa bed as well which one of my daughters slept on. Balcony was nice with a swinging chair/hammock. Housekeeping did a good job keeping the room clean and everything stocked. We never needed to call for anything extra and my kids loved the towel art.
The pools are really fantastic. I love that you can be in the middle of the action or easily find a place away from it if you wanted. We went over and spent an afternoon at the Beach/Delmar pools. They are great as well. Very different vibe on that side. Way more relaxed and laid back. We really liked it. Wave pool is fun, even for me. Bar service is excellent there. Lazy river is very tame, but fun. And the sports pool has polo and basketball.
The beach was very nice. Folks wake up very early to get the prime spots, so if that first palapa is important to you, set your alarm. We never had a problem finding a spot later in the day. Bar service was good there as well and they have the burgers and hot dogs, etc... around lunch time. The Ocean was fun to swim in. Decent sized waves, but not as rough as we have experienced on the strip. Water is not the windex blue of Cancun, but was very nice. There are spots with large rocks in the water. Normally these seem to be the places where nobody was standing. Found out the hard way.
Now for the food. It was really the most disappointing part of the trip. It wasn't horrible (except for the Mexican restaurant), but for the most part, it wasn't very good either. We found it had dropped off a bit from last year. The only other All-Inclusive resorts we have stayed at were Palace Resorts, and the food there is by far better. It's not even close, so we were a bit disappointed. Our room was close to the two main buffets which at night become the Mexican and Mediterranean. The buffets in the morning were disappointing. The omelet station is okay, but after that it was blah. Not once did I find a hashbrown style potato there? The bacon was half cooked as were the sausages. Just not enough variety or quality. Not a deal breaker, but could be much better. The buffets on the lindo side near the lobby were much better in our opinion. Lunch was okay. Again, would like more variety. They need to have tacos somewhere closer than the shopping center. We had made our dinner reservations in advance by the end, we just ended up eating at the large lindo buffets. By far the best food was at "La Geisha" Japanese restaurant. We ate there twice. "El Tapatio", the Mexican was atrociously bad. We actually left there and went to the buffet. Trust me and skip this one altogether. The brazillan "El Rodizio" was just okay. I think my expectations were just higher, being a fan of this type of restaurant. "La Marina" was decent as well. Good variety of seafood. We passed on the others as we found more variety and quality at the lindo buffet, especially for the kids. One major change I liked is that Men no longer need to wear long pants to these restaurants. Nice change! We did go over to the shopping center and the tacos there were okay. The burger place now opens at 7:00 p.m., so don't plan on eating lunch there. Kids and wife liked the crepes and ice cream was there as well.
Service overall was good. Housekeeping was good and the bar service was mostly good. Especially the guys and waitressed in the snake bar. They work very hard and make good drinks. Hats off to them. The service in some of the buffets was spotty, even when not busy. Not a huge deal at the buffets, but sometimes we would have to borrow silver wear from other tables, etc... Nothing major. Everyone was working hard there, believe me.
My wife had a couple services at the Spa and she said it was nice. I can't comment except that it's not cheap.
The Wi-Fi is up and running all over the resort. They are working through some initial bugs, but we were pretty pleased. It is included for Maya guests and Lindo can purchase, although I don't know the price. We were also told at check-in that the snake bar is exclusively for Maya guests, but that wasn't the case at all as there were plenty of folks there from the Lindo side. This may be something they enforce in the future.

As a side note, we did take a taxi to Playa Del Carmen to spend a day at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal resort. It was about $28 each way for four people. The resort was nice and it is really set in the jungle. I thought Maya was tropical. This place has a lot of animals all over, including howler monkeys. Really pretty resort. Pool was very nice and the ocean there was amazing. It was a beautiful blue and crystal clear. No waves at all. You could see fish all around you. Really nice time there. They said we could also visit Iberostar in Cancun or Cozumel as well. Maybe on another trip. But this was well worth the $60. Any questions, please send me a message.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Zagloba
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacation destination. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that you were able to take advantage of the activities as well as the other facilities offered at our resort and our sisters’ hotels.

Concerning our culinary offer, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, by creating a menu that varies every day, as well as having a different international themes (Italian, oriental, and many others) every night. We will send him your review for future improvements.

We hope that if ever returning to our beautiful Riviera Maya, we will have the absolute pleasure of being your hosts again.

Best regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My family of three were originally booked into the Lindo but on arrival at the check in desk asked if we could upgrade to the Maya. We managed to negotiate an upgrade for £300 as the hotel was very busy. This we felt was a bargain as the company we booked through wanted an extra £550 for the privilege. Next time we will book direct with the hotel. For the upgrade we could use the Maya restaurants and Pyramid bar which were all excellent and exclusive to Maya residents. You could also use all other restaurants and bars at the Lindo, Beach and Del Mar. Considering this was an all inclusive resort the food was excellent and the service fantastic.
The pool area and grounds were very good and the place was kept very clean. My sons favourites were the wave pool and lazy river. The Star Friends were the real stars of the hotel with their tireless work ethic. Always smiling and giving you their time without being too invasive.
We attended many of the evening shows which we thought were good, again with the Star Friends having a lot of involvement.
Overall this hotel had everything that we wanted and we would not hesitate in booking again.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have visited iberostar 4 times since 2004- twice to Del Mar, once to Lindo since we wanted to guarantee ala carte dining every nite and this time we booked 2 rooms at Lindo since we were bringing 2 of our sons ages 15 and 18 and were told we could not all stay in same room. Upon arrival last Friday the 16th we were greeted w a tropical storm - torrential rain like I've never seen. At check in we were offered an upgrade to 2 jr suites at Maya which I've read on this site happens a lot but first time for us. Perhaps because we were repeat guests ? Thankfully the storm ended that nite and we had awesome weather for 7 days, much luckier than the guests we spoke w that had been there since Wed w 3 days of rain!
Overall we enjoyed everything- service as usual was amazing -wish I could remember everyone's name Rudolpho at Lindo lobby bar remembered us from last time! Bartenders amazing at snake bar, fantastic service at breakfast , lunch , ala carts , buffets, at pool bars and on beach- everyone bends over backwards to do whatever is requested w or w out a tip- though we do like to tip not to expect any thing extra but to
express our appreciation at wonderful service. Maids and staff also did great job cleaning and keeping things nice- saw men cleaning pool and other areas at night.
Our sons had a blast w star friends and all pool games and the beach as well. We had planned to do an excursion but just ended up taking the 1 1/2 hr boat trip to snorkel on reef- saw some cool fish etc. also rode banana boat , kayaks ( but not til last day were they available ) snorkeling in ocean , scuba in pool, and catamaran. My 18 yr old wanted to take the 45 $ lesson but no instructor was available all week? Luckily he met another boy who was able to take him out since he already knew how. Star friends really work so hard and make the experience memorable for families !
Boogie nights is best show but its hard to stay awake when the day starts early and we were in the sun and swimming all day! It's hard to do everything ! Never made it to taco shop or spa or even to spend any time at del mar beach pool which is also very nice but looks a little more run down.
Food is good and bad depends what u select and there are plenty of choices. Loved Japanese experience, mexican fun. Mediterranean mixed ,steakhouse depends what u order- my salmon was great my husband s and one sons steaks were inedible - very tough and fatty. But u can eat appetizers or always go to the buffet great options there. My sins went to mexican themed buffet the nite my husband and I ate gourmet and they loved it!
Overall so sad to leave hope to return wiuld like to bring my older 2 maybe put 3 in a room if possible? Hopefully food can be improved- I love seafood and found a lot of the fish to be too fishy tasting or rubbery and chewy or in an unpleasant sauce. Would have liked to see more shrimp maybe a ceviche?
Thanks for an excellent vacation!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear guest,

Let us begin by thanking you not only for choosing to vacation at our lovely resort, but also for taking the time to send us your comments about your experience with us.

We are truly thrilled to hear that you had a perfect vacation at our lovely resort and that you enjoyed our beautiful facilities and all our hotel.

Concerning our culinary offer, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, by creating a menu that varies every day, but we will send him your review for his consideration, as he is always open to receive feedback.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to the Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to visit as we would consider it an absolute pleasure to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have tried all the iberostar s in the riviera maya, playa paraisio. After 7 years of staying at the Lindo/Maya I must say these 2 resorts meet all the needs of our family of 5! 18, 17 & 12 year old daughters have an outstanding time here, summer after summer! The fact that there is a club on site for 18 and up is a major plus! We do book 2 rooms, which are extremely large, very clean! There is 24 hour room service which is also a plus after staying out all night. Although these resorts are quite tremendous and the restaurants and such are a hike and a half, who cares! You're on vacation and everywhere you go feels like your in a different place. Between the shops, outdoor mall, crepe shop, hamburger place, taco place, restaurants, bars, theater ( nightly shows), nightclub and just the grounds alone will keep you entertained for endless hours. There is beauty
everywhere! The staff is amazingly friendly too! During the day the magnificent pool is larger than any you have ever seen! You can be amoungst tons of activity or find a more quiet area to stay in. There are restaurants to book or buffets to go at your own time. Either way, there is enough food and a big variety. To be honest, it's an all inclusive so you are getting what you pay for. Are you there for the food or a great time? If you want real gourmet, try restaurants at home. But the food is good here and there really is enough variety for everyone and anyone! Well, I can keep writing this review but you'll need to see for yourself. My biggest advice for this resort is not to go as a couple without kids. You may like it or love it but this place is exclusively for families with children and teens-20's. there are lots of adult only resorts so try them. Hope you love this place as our 3 daughter's and husband and I do! They just keep asking to come back every summer. ( even after 1st year away at college). Loves it even more. Good luck&have a ball!

Room Tip: Building 61 perfect for pool beach lovers!
2  Thank xoxfromparadise

Dear friend,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about our resort. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel. We really appreciate your recognition for our facilities and service!

It is a real honor for us to learn that you and your family enjoyed our resort again. We are proud to receive this type of feedback because this way we know we are on the right track, and of course we will keep improving day by day to provide the best service.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and two girls went to this hotel and resort for 5 days and had a really lovely time! Food was delish and always available. We had lots to do. The first two days it rained and yet we still had stuff to do. There was everything from a wave pool, lazy river, 3 pools. One with a swim up bar. Our room was clean and lovely. When we arrived we had a fridge full of soda, water and beer. That was restocked every day. We had fresh flowers that were beautiful and a delicious fruit basket. There was allot of shade as well as activities. The beach was gorgeous and the water warm. Awesome waves although a little rough at times. Over all, great place to stay...
Oh and the service and people were AMAZING!!!! We wanted for nothing and were treated beautifully!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice... however, if you like it a little quieter earlier in the evening try not to be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dimples4012

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your recent stay in Mexico. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We are very happy to hear that you had a great vacation at our resort, as this indicates that you enjoyed our facilities, our pools for children (wave & lazy river) are of our main attractions, Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you and your family back for another great vacation.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We are from America and not well traveled,but we had a fabulous time. My husband and I were planning a relaxing vacation without children. The service was great. Some things not so good were that we stayed in bldg. 60 and we came home with swollen feet from walking so much. We were very close to a buffet, the ocean, and the main pool. That was nice, but unless you have a ride to dinner you will walk at least 8 minutes to dinner and arrive sweaty.sounds silly to walk 8 minutes and sweat, we dressed for dinner ever night and it was August after all. We met Guillermo while we there and he drove us anytime we asked. If you remember to, the concierge of your balding will help with anything you need and is in charge of making your dinner reservations. We spent 2 different days leaving the resort for excursions and we have now decided you really don't need to leave to have a blast. The food was not always the greatest especially the French restaurant. So many people to attend to having perfect food do not go hand in hand so we were fine with that. We will go to another Iberostar in the future only because wee have heard there is one in the Dominican republic. Will recommend Paraiso Maya for sure!

Room Tip: Be sure to look up xthe map of the grounds on line to help request a room for you.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colleen E

Dear customer,

We would also like to express our sincere appreciations to you for taking time to send us your comments on how your holidays went at our resort and that you enjoyed your rooms, pools, beach and entertainment.

We regret any dissatisfaction regarding our services and the layout of our resort. Some guests love the long walk around our beautiful grounds and other guests prefer to take a ride. We have a train going back and forth and we also have golf carts with our bell boys. You can also pre-program a ride with the Concierge and wait comfortably in your room until it arrives.

We feel sorry to hear that our French restaurants did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, so we will send him your review for his consideration.

Thank you for your excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again either at our hotel or at any of our hotels in Dominican Republic, and give you the excellent service that we are known for!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

After staying at 2 other Iberostars in Dom Rep, I decided to try Mexico and chose this hotel because it had 3 sister hotels we could use as well.
On arrival we were promptly checked in and received a complimentary upgrade to a Superior Suite in Block 63. We were given a ride to our room with the bell boy and he did a great job of explaining all the places as we passed them enroute to our room.
Upon arrival in our room we noted the patio doors were not locking properly so rang to get them sorted. After nearly an hour and 2 visits from maintanence they fixed them to a point.
Our room was within a block which house a small private pool, it was fantastic to chill in later in the day before dinner and many a happy hour was spent there.
Back to the room we returned on our first night after dinner and ready to hit the beds as we had been on the go for 24 hours only to find my sons sofa-bed had not been made up or even pulled out. So I rang reception and asked for some sheets to be sent down.....2 hours later no sheets appeared so he passed out on a sofa with no bedding. A short trip to our concierge the next morning sorted the problem but no apology was ever offered...not good when your son has paid full adult price!!!
My biggest problem with this resort was service in the restaurants and buffets when it was good it was very good and when it was bad it was terrible. When entering buffet restaurants you were asked how many people.... 5 in our case, the problem was they would sit you on a cramped table set for 3 or 4 if you were lucky and then you would be waiting an age for the rest of the table to be set up, sometimes we had to fetch the rest off nearby tables. The breakfast buffet by the pool was the worst by far as most of the staff that worked the right hand side had major attitude issues, in the end we began walking up to the large buffet at the Lindo side just to get better staff. Also the men on the beach bar were really hard working but also always had a smile.
The bar staff in the pyramid were by far the best we encountered nothing was ever too much trouble.
We did the bike tour and the segway tour and both were amazing and helped you get your head round where everything was.
We also used the wet areas at the spa a couple of times and found them great. The whole plaza was amazing we loved the crepes, tacos and burgers and it was a lovely place to stroll to in an evening. We never manage to stay up late enough to attend the nightclub.....
The thing that keeps me coming back to the Iberostars most definitely is the Starfriends and entertainment and these guys never fail to help you enjoy your holiday they are so good at their jobs they made you laugh until you cried, smiling from dawn to dusk they are definitely your star attraction.
I would like to return to Mexico again in the next year or 2 but do not feel my family will return to this resort as it let us down.

2  Thank lisag1967
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear client,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent family vacation. We would also like to express our sincere appreciations to you for taking time to send us your comments on how your holidays went at our resort.

Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our Staff Friends team will go far way in encouraging our team, thank you very much; they certainly are a great asset to our company.

We apologize profusely for the sofa-bed issue. Your comment has been forwarded to our Housekeeping department so these incidents do not happen again.

We are sorry you were not satisfied with the staff service. This has been shared with the Food & Beverage manager and the Hotel Management so that immediate steps are taken to improve this point. At Iberostar we continuously organize training sessions for all staff; each department has a trainer that is on top of things. So it is disappointing to hear that we were not up to the task on this occasion and will do our best to improve this point as soon as possible.

We are truly saddened the read that you do not intend to return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of serving you at our resort so we may prove to you our commitment to exceptional customer service and satisfaction.

Kind regards,

7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!