“Couldn't find anything wrong here!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My trip to the Paraiso Maya was my 3rd time at an all-inclusive resort. While every resort has their strong suits, the Maya was well-rounded in all regards. I found the food to be exemplary at the Cajun restaurant Jambalaya, and the French Restaurant next door to it (L'Etoile), and the Japanese steakhouse (La Geisha). The rooms were nice, and the resort offered a plethora of activities to do. With great proximity to the beach, it really offered everything that you could ask for.

Some of the additional things I liked about it were the lack of hustlers on the beach, as opposed to my stays in Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta. I really enjoyed not having something sold to me (whether it be the ubiquitous timeshare offer or not) when I made my daily trek down to the ocean. The grill by the beach had fish every day too. One day, I scored ahi tuna, while I enjoyed grouper on a couple of other days.

The resort had a well-maintained golf course on site (it was ranked #1 resort course in all of Mexico, according to one player), and they offered great rates to guests. It was also nice to enjoy a burger and beer before the round, while enjoying Don Julio afterwards (all included). That reminds me, the selection of spirits was the best I have encountered at an all-inclusive resort.

Of the three stays I have had at all-inclusive properties (Sandals and Dreams being the others), this resort was the least expensive, but it stacked up right with the aforementioned hotels.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank orange-u-tall
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Let us begin by extending our sincere appreciations to you for not only choosing our resort to spend your vacation, but also for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community, your honest opinion of your stay.

We are glad you enjoyed our service and facilities. Our golf course is one of our best attractions, we are glad that you enjoyed it.

Thank you very much for trusting us, we hope to see you again in our resort in the near future.

Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a review from someone from the UK - we chose this hotel on recommendation from friends who had been twice before. We stayed at the hotel for two weeks, 26 July-9 August. The whole place was very luxurious and the grounds were beautiful, mainly due to the different water features dotted around the place. The Lindo section was exceptionally beautful with all the fountains and ornate flower pots, especially when lit up at night. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and we felt they worked extremely hard to make our holiday experience really enjoyable. We did not find the size of grounds a problem like some other reviews, and after a few days it was quite easy to find your way around. It took 5 minutes to walk to the Lindo lobby from where we were. We stayed in block 62 on the ground floor next to the concierge, but we were not disturbed by the comings and goings of people walking past the rooms once.

The food was very good, especially breakfast/seafood in the evening at the Marina restaurant. We did not really notice that the restaurants were closed at certain times of the day, after eating breakfast we did not really need anything until the evening meal. Lots of fresh fish cooked in front of you in the Lindo buffet, Lobster in the French restaurant and the Oriental restaurant is an experience not to be missed.

We enjoyed the area around the pool bar which had daily activities ran by the "Star Friends" - Aqua gym, volleyball and other poolside games. The beach was gorgeous with turquoise coloured sea and soft white sandy beach, just like a postcard. We loved it and will be going back again one day soon...

You could pick up wifi in the lobby and main bar, stronger signal in lobby. Lots of people sat around the lobby logging onto their various devices, especially at night. Four days before we came home, we were able to pick up wifi in our room. You could pay to have Ethernet access in your room for about £6 a day.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Debbie A

Dear friend,

Please allow us to express our sincere appreciations for not only choosing to be valued guests of Iberostar, but also for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community, your opinion of your stay at our lovely resort.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the facilities and services that the resort has to offer, as well as our gastronomy and the wonderful beach.

Thank you for your excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve!

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were excited to stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Our son and his wife and kids asked us to join them along with their friends and children. Seemed like a perfect place to spend 10-days since we were travelling with children and could get some diving in.
We hired a limo to pick us up at the airport and drop us at the hotel. Check-in was easy but the people at check-in weren't overly friendly.
Our room was very clean. A huge plus to me. It was spacious and located centrally. This resort is HUGE. It is a bit confusing to navigate the first couple days. Lots of pools, bars and beaches.
On the food side of things, this being an all-inclusive and all, we were a bit disappointed. Like one reviewer said before, everything opens and closes at the same time. And, you must see your concierge to get reservations. No reservations and the only place you can dine at is a buffet. The food was sub-par in all of our books. It looked good, the presentation was nice, but the food was not very good. Some of the restaurants were better than others. We liked the Japanese and the Brazilian restaurants. We were unable to secure reservations for the Italian. Waitstaff were okay. Nothing exceptional.
We would go there again but there are other places we would rather see.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank santorini4415

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent family vacation.

We would also like to express our sincere appreciations to you for taking time to send us your comments on how your holidays went at our resort and that you enjoyed your rooms, pools, beach and entertainment.

Concerning our culinary offer, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, by creating a menu that varies every day, we will send him your review for his consideration and your comments on the restaurant opening times to management.

We hope that if ever returning to our beautiful Riviera Maya, we will have the absolute pleasure of being your hosts again.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Ok, so let me start by saying this resort is very pretty. It is all inclusive so all food and drink is included. The food is not as bad as other reviews I have read. It is so so. We found a nice BBQ chicken at El Rancho. The check in is confusing as it is on the left hand side of the lobby and very inconspicuous. They greet you with a yummy drink called a Conga and a cool towel. Very classy. The grounds are lovely and well kept. There are fountains everywhere but look outdated due to the light blue pained bottoms that gave them an 80's feel. The beach is nice. The rooms are nice.
Everything is nice B.U.T. the place is HHHUUUGGGEEE!!!! More than once, I mumbled to my daughter, "I hate this place!". I got a huge blister from getting lost so many times. The maps do not help! We basically had to find the pool and follow it whenever we wanted to go somewhere. The second to last day, we decided to actually figure out our way around and did find a path that got us to the lobby and the dining rooms. Basically, the Snake Bar is in the center of the pyramid. Find that and then look for the sculptures under each "arm" to remember as your landmark. For instance, the big ugly black wall with rocks in it is your landmark for El Rancho and La Marina. The big white wall would be your landmark for La Geisha, the big harp looking thing is your landmark for the lobby, etc. Also, the pools will take you to the middle of the resort with the Theatre and two more dining areas.The Snake Bar is really impressive looking and makes strong drinks.
The room was very pretty with a Jacuzzi in the bathroom and a glass shower. The shower door was hard to keep closed and there was a puddle that ran into the hallway every time we used it. The wall of the bathroom that bordered the bedroom was frosted glass so you could "see" into the bathroom or vice verse. It didn't really bother us but it could be bothersome to others. There was a sunken "living room" which had it's own desk, couch, and ceiling fan. A well sized balcony had a rope swing, two chairs, and a table. Every day you were greeted by towel animals. I left a Thank You note along with a small gift of a fragranced hand sanitizers the first two nights. I asked in one of the notes for a new pad of paper to jot notes on since the one by the phone only had two sheets of paper on it. I never did receive my pad of paper so I stopped giving them the notes and sanitizers. Maybe I should have called the concierge to request it but I didn't. On that note, the concierge was nice to have for each building but they were hard to find. Finally, he told me to look where the gold building (65) meets the blue building. After that it was easy to find. We wanted to make a dinner reservation change and it was no problem. They were very accommodating in that regard. Building 65 was close to the pools and the Mexican restaurant. It was very far away from the lobby and most of the dining rooms.
The pools were big and well maintained. Strangely though, the resort is like a ghost town after 8 o'clock or so. Apparently, most of the guests stick to the timed features throughout the day and then go to the theatre at night to collect awards. example) Harry from Mississippi gets the award for air rifle shooting. Then they get on stage to accept it. We figured this out the first night when we went to see a Magic Show and had to wait forever to see it. The show was entertaining but my daughter was antsy waiting so long.
There is a van that takes you to town to do shopping in Playa Del Carmen for $5 a person but you have to find your way to the lobby of The Lindo which is hard to do. We, of course, got lost again and it took us 30 minutes. They bring you back to the Lindso's lobby for another $5 per person.
The different travel agencies are in the lobby for your convenience.
It seems that this resort is good for families with small children who want to keep them entertained and for people who want to be told what to do and at what time to do it. It just wasn't for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 65 building. It was close to the Mexican restaurant and that served breakfast and l...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cindy R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear guest,

Please allow us to express our sincere appreciations for not only choosing our resort to spend your vacations, but also for taking the time to share your opinion of your holiday at Iberostar.

Our main goal is to offer the best vacation experiences to our guests, thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

On the other hand, we regret any dissatisfaction regarding our services and the layout of our resort. Some guests love the long walk around our beautiful grounds and other guests prefer to take a ride. We have a train going back and forth and we also have golf carts with our bell boys. We are happy to tell you that we have just bought new golf carts for our guests comfort. You can also pre-program a ride with the Concierge and wait comfortably in your room until it arrives.

In regard to your comment about the rooms, be sure that we have taken note of all your comments and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service. Any special requests should be addressed to your concierge or front desk, who will be able to help you with anything you need.

We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to change your point of view regarding the above mentioned services.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We just got back from our amazing week long vacation at this Iberostar resort. It was incredible. My 4 year old son had so much fun, and so did we. The wave pool, lazy river, water parks, and other huge pools were stunning. The beach was unreal. There are no words to describe the beauty of the waters and the white sand beaches. The activity people there were top-notch! They were so much fun for the whole family. The entertainment at night was a hit. Don't miss the magic show! I will be going back for sure. I walked for miles and miles one morning and never made it around all of the resorts! It is a huge complex that you have all access to! It is awesome!

Room Tip: We were in room 6045 which was the building closest to the beach, but we had a far walk to other pla...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kathy T

Dear client,

Thank you for your kind feedback on our resort and services! We are pleased to hear that you had a very special holiday.

We are truly thrilled to understand from your gracious remarks that not only did you have a memorable experience at our hotel but you were also extremely impressed with our staff and facilities (our wave pool and Water Park among others).

Thank you also for speaking so highly about our fantastic entertainment team and our shows. Your kind words will be forwarded to them!

Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service. We feel honored to have contributed to making your stay unforgettable.

We are quite confident that you will be staying again at Iberostar and we therefore anxiously await your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was my husband & my 9th year to go to the this resort and it just keeps getting better & better. It's beautiful, such friendly staff and this year they had updated some of their 7 restaurants, so the food was delicious. We never leave the resort and pretty much just lay around and swim. We always go the 1st, 2nd or 3rd week in May and the weather is perfect. There are little kids, but no big ones, as they aren't out of school yet. Also, no overcrowding. We keep thinking we will try a different resort, but love this one so much, we just can't do it.

Room Tip: We always try to get building 61, as it is right by the pools. Yes, you have to walk a little bit to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank swtybzy

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya and for taking the time to share your review about your experience.

It is really an honor for us to know that you and your family enjoyed our resort again. To receive this type of feedback from one of our repeat customers is highly motivational and it helps us know if we are on the right track. Of course we will keep improving to provide the best of services.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and offer you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have never traveled on an Apples vacation. When we selected a 6 Golden Apple vacation I was expecting luxury. I thought it would be upscale but it was not. I would consider it a nice resort but not exceptional. The food was fine. Something you would expect to find at chain restaurant but not a five star. This is a very large resort. Do not expect beach front views or to be able to walk out your room on to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear client,

Let us begin by extending our sincere appreciations to you for choosing our resort to spend your vacation and for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community, your honest opinion of your stay with us.

We regret any dissatisfaction regarding our services and the layout of our resort. Some guests love the long walk around our beautiful grounds and other guests prefer to take a ride. We have a train going back and forth and we also have golf carts with our bell boys. We are happy to tell you that we have just bought new golf carts for our guests comfort. You can also pre-program a ride with the Concierge and wait comfortably in your room until it arrives.

We apologize if the circumstances that you mentioned have affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel. Our resort is built within the jungle and it is one of its main features, which is very representative of our region. One suggestion to enjoy sea views in your room would be to try our Grand Paraiso Hotel, our Iberostar Tucan or Quetzal in Playa del Carmen, or Iberostar Cancun.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Warm regards,

7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!