“Just go here.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Danbury, Connecticut
“Just go here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I went to a travel agent after searching the internet and not finding anything. Joanna suggested Iberostar Paraiso Maya when I told her I wanted somewhere that would not be boring for me, but where my husband, two daughters (ages 20 &18) and I could also relax. This was perfect!
The resort is large, so there's lots to do. There are actually five properties and we enjoyed visiting the others. The beach is beautiful.. soft, white sand and aqua blue water. There are plenty of lounge chairs. We could either relax with a pina colado (all alcohol is included) or do any of the fun things available right there...pottery paining, volleyball, zumba, yoga, going to a food festival (every other day), massages, bocci, etc.
We had a junior suite for all four of us. The room we had was right by the beach, just as we requested, however, in the future I would ask for a room with a nice view. Ours was inhibited by the high mangroves that grow everywhere. We had a balcony, sitting room, bedroom, and large bath with a jucuzzi. It, as well as the whole resort, was decorated in a Mayan theme which proved to be beautiful and interesting. Many of the lighting fixtures were enormous and we had drinks in the bar that was situated inside a faux pyramid. You have to see it! The food was beautifully presented, plentiful, interesting and delicious. (I missed my American coffee and tea, though. It was very close, but just a little "off." I learned to use two black tea bags which made it almost perfect.) There were so many restaurants to choose from, and we argued over which evening dining we liked best: Hibachi, French, or Mediteranean. We all liked the ambiance...such nice decorating...
The pool was huge and different at every turn, from bridges to waterfalls to a pool bar to lazy river with animals peeking here and there. Kudos to the architect who came up with it all -- we couldn't stop taking pictures to show family back at home.
I didn't even mention the spa, shopping plaza, and shows. It's all wonderful. Everything is taken care of, literally. There was even Mass on Sunday night (6:00 pm) right at the facility and the priest was so kind -- he spoke in English and Spanish, even though there weren't that many English speakers there. (He asked for a show of hands.)
The two best parts? The employees. I've never encountered a more cheeful, helpful, kind, competent group of people. They all deserve a bonus!! And the VALUE.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

8 Thank Terry33753
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback on our services. We are pleased to hear that you had a special holiday.

We are extremely proud to understand from your comments that you had a memorable experience at our hotel and truly appreciate your special mention about our rooms, food, pool, beach and our wonderful staff. We are certainly aware that it is through our staff efforts that we are able to achieve our goal of complete guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you again at our lovely hotel.

Warm regards,
Iberostar México

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our 5yr old son, and it was a perfect choice for families.
Check in: went smoothly, no lines when we arrived (10 am). Unfortunately we were not able to get into our room until 3pm, but the staff kept all our luggage-we locked valuables up and we hit the pools.

Service issues: once in our room we noticed a sink not draining, toilet not flushing well, and TV remote not working. Called and concierge had two service people there in less than 5 minutes. We also had no trouble making restaurant reservations (even for the night of our arrival). If you need an extra bed make sure you let them know when to deliver. We waited for a while and when we called to inquire the concierge told us they usually deliver the beds at night and she was sorry for the misunderstanding-we had a bed with fresh linens less than 10 min after our call.

Housekeeping: Great service-if you want extra linens you will have to ask as they do not leave many extra in the rooms.

Food: we have stayed at many all inclusives and I would say the food here is average or slightly better-lots of variety. Try the coconut ice cream it's delicious. We ate at the Cajun, Japanese, and Brazilian-they were all pretty average for an all inclusive. My five year old had no problem finding food he liked.
Kids club: this was our first experience with a kids club and we were initially hesitant, but our 5 year old loved it and asked to go back. We checked in on him several times and the staff seemed attentive and children happy. The water park area is great for kids, but just be warned there is no drink service nearby, so if you are gonna be there awhile take a soft pack cooler fill it with beverages and ice and enjoy-that's what we did. There are loungers there that are always available.
Pools: our favorite was the wave pool. Yes if you want a lounge chair you need to get up early and reserve one with a towel/book etc. beware, however, some people do not mind infringing and we actually ended up with an extra beach towel as my husband was gathering up our things and took the towel of someone apparently 'using' the same chair. The lazy river was nice, but there are limited floats so go early or bring your own cheap blow up tube. The main pool is shared with the Lindo (I guess, we never could really tell where one ended and the other began). It's amazingly big and beautiful. Always activities going on.
Shows: we watched a couple, the entertainers are pretty good.
Overall a great all inclusive, bar staff attentive and service was good. Great choice for families with young children.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Trentsmom07
Dear customer,

On behalf of the management team and all the staff of the Iberostar Paraiso Maya, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacation in Mexico and also for taking the time to send us your comments about your experience at our lovely hotel.

Thank you for highlighting the different areas and services of our resort. We are glad to know that your son enjoyed our Kids Club, our staff always try to do their best effort in order to make our guests feel happy.

We genuinely hope to serve you again at Iberostar and therefore look forward to seeing you again at our hotel in the near future.

Barkhamsted, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed with our 2 kids and another family. Both families emailed before our arrival requesting rooms close to each other and our request was honored without a problem. The staff was helpful and spoke English as well as Spanish. The food was good, but don't expect anything super wonderful. We ate at all the sit down restaurants in the Maya and tried the buffets as well. Always had plenty to eat and was full, just not anything amazingly good. We brought a lot of singles and fives to leave as tips and were thankful we did. The pools were nice, clean, and warm. They were too deep for my 7 year olds to touch, except the wave pool. That was fine since they can swim and we also had round blow up tubes we brought that we floated on. The beach was beautiful and clean. The buffet for lunch right on the beach was nice and convenient. We had no problems finding chairs at either the pools or beach. Great trip and can't wait for our next trip!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank Dylan136
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

We appreciate your taking time to write a review for Trip advisor about your stay with Iberostar; it gives us a great deal of satisfaction hearing that we have been successful in providing you with an outstanding vacation and are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the excellent service delivered by our staff.

With respect to the food, we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is constantly working on creating different menus and new recipes, and he always welcomes our guests’ feedbacks, as they guide him to plan the best possible options.

We hope that if ever returning to our beautiful Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to return as we would consider it a privilege to host you again.

Kind regards,

Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

All right, let me start by stating that I originally booked to Paraiso Lindo and ended up in Paraiso Maya via upgrade. Travelled with the wife and a 10 y/o daughter from Jul/5 to Jul/12.

This is our 2nd time at Iberostar Paraiso resort, 3rd time in the Riviera Maya in the last 4 years says how much my family enjoys the area in general. Our 1st time was at the Paraiso Beach in 2011 and you can find that review here in TripAdvisor as well…

Keep in mind, I already knew this resort and how it functions, from the reservations to restaurants, to mosquitoes, to walking distances, etc.; so I have a really good baseline to compare.

Main reason to book on the Lindo hotel was the knowledge of restaurants and buffets being in closed A/C areas. We started off with the right foot, arrived to the Lobby of Paraiso Lindo, and promptly greeted by Daniel who asked us the typical set of questions, is this the 1st time visiting, etc… so I mentioned the above situation plus the fact that I could not see much value-difference to justify the upgrade to the Maya, all this while he was doing the check-in. That was like hitting the jackpot key, Daniel immediately said, "you should experience the Maya resort, in fact I'm going to talk to my manager and see if we can upgrade you so you can feel the difference, you won't regret it (if someone asks you, say is your anniversary) [wink]"… Say what?, so a few minutes later, he comes back and says, "well, I can offer you an upgrade but the room has a King size bed and a sofa for the kid, I can request an individual bed if she doesn't feel comfortable"… LET's DO IT! we replied. (Best decision EVER)

Off we went to building 66; short distance walk to the lobby, right next to the kids pool and lazy river.. Is perhaps the longest walk to the beach, but who cares?, we had the whole week and most importantly NOT in a rush for anything.

Each building has its own concierge that basically is always there, that translates in NO extra lines or losing a lot of time to get a reservation to a restaurant or an answer for that matter. I hope I remember her name right… Rossana (a very attentive and gorgeous girl) was most of the time at this building.

Our room was right next to the stairs and the buildings tend to have echo which does not play well if you're trying to sleep in or go early to bed (see a tip below to avoid this).

ROOM: BIG & Comfortable period; much more comfortable than the ones at the Beach hotel; you have a Jacuzzi and a big bathroom, a mini foyer where the closets are with His & Hers sides; nice view of the garden and walk path to the lobby, no complaints there. Room was made very well every day and mini fridge re-stocked constantly. Fantastic job.

SERVICE: Top notch, all the way, from the bartenders, to bell-boys, Hostess, Star Friends, Waitress, Cooks… one of the elements that keep bringing me back to this resort is the attention to customer service. Make sure you tip them, not because you should, just for personal appreciation of a hard work well made.

FOOD/DRINKS: The first 2 days of my stay, we were walking to the Lindo buffets for breakfast by the kids pool, we quickly realized that one side is used for the people at Lindo, the other side is used for the people at Maya, even though they share the same food area, but the attention and quietness is noticeable. Then we realized that the Marina restaurant on the Maya lobby is open for breakfast and is not crowded at all (priceless), food is fresh as always and tasty. Lunch and/or snacks we had usually closest to the beach, on one side you have the Mexican restaurant which is open until 2:30pm, the one used by Lindo on the other side of the pool, opens until 3:30pm or 4:00pm; if not, on the beach there is always food around (burgers and hot-dogs for the most part), for sure you won't be hungry. We found the one on the Lindo side to be more kid friendly and have very tasty tacos.

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS: Maya guest can go to the restaurants every night, is not hard to find reservations. French restaurant was our favorite (I had a really good Tenderloin, comparable to the ones I had in Las Vegas, see my other reviews); Champagne non-stop.. The Japanese restaurant was really good but not much different than the quality of a Bennihana, so it was good. The Steakhouse and its Ribs was my daughter's favorite place. My wife loved the Marina restaurant. We actually ventured for dinner to Playa del Carmen one evening; we ate at Karen's in the 5th ave and had a feast, really good food for the equivalent of a visit to a Red Robin.

ENTERTAINMENT: I can't forget how much of a good time was spent. Kudos to a fantastic staff. Edwin, William, Dorian and Alejandra not only are hard-working individuals, I think they bring a lot of energy to what they do. (TIP HERE: Take the time to get to know them, each person has a story behind and a reason to be there, they are humans as well). Don't miss the activities, I played Ping-pong, Archery, Bocce, Volleyball, etc. Maya guest have 1h free a day of kayak or wind-surfing, if you know it, don't miss it. I did try the wind-surf (have done it before) and made me realize that I'm not 20 anymore. Some of the activities they'll do tournaments for which the winners are recognized at night during the shows; 5 minutes of embarrassment goes a long way with your kids, trust me.

NIGHT SHOWS: Much better that I can remember any other time before, and different hotels. The magician show I found very entertaining.

LOBBY: Wi-Fi is free for Maya guests in the lobby, there is not a lot of people, but you're fighting for connection, be happy if you get 11mbps; the lobby has A/C so is fresh not cold because of its size, and bring your mosquitoes repellent.

GOLF COURSE: all right, I was curious because I know that Golf's Channel "Big Break Mexico" show was shot there. I'm not a golfer, I've really never done it before, and I went for the drive range. A bucket of 80 balls for $10, I think is a deal and very similar to any range at least here in Chicago. $45 for the 18 hole including the cart. Not crowded, we asked for a golf cart to tour the golf course and in my opinion is a narrow VERY big and challenging course, absolutely beautiful scene. I had a chance to see the Iberostar Villas, which are really nice as well.

SPA: one of the hidden gems and perks is the SPA, as a guest of the Maya hotel, you can go every day to the spa and have access to the "wet" areas… We are still regretting that only went for it the last day. No kids allowed, so right there is your 1st relaxation aspect, no drunken people either. Let me break this down. The facilities are HUGE, very well appointed, some areas show some aging, but not a deal breaker. The wet areas include:
- the Foot and Leg relaxation (walking over river rocks narrow path while jets shoot warm water to your legs, as you progress it turns colder).. Do this circuit 3 times and you will feel like walking on clouds.
- Salt water pool is the bread and butter of this facility, is a very large pool with all sorts of jets and waterfalls to massage your neck and back
- Hot/Cold/Jacuzzi: there are 4 areas (about 15ft x 15ft) of pools of hot water with available jets and one "Russian" bath which is cold… cycle from hot to cold a few times and it'll make you feel super relaxed. One of the areas has water beds with bubble jets underneath, try it, not my favorite.
- Saunas: there are 2 big saunas, the typical Hot-Dry sauna and my favorite a Hot-Humid-Menthol sauna, that thing will decongest not only your sinuses, but your whole body. My wife had to drag me out of that one.

OTHER ACTIVITIES: As mentioned by other reviews; twice a year the Dallas Cowboys will do a camp for kids there, all free. Boys will do some training with former and rookie players and coaches; girls will go with a group of the cheerleaders; forget about this being an overcrowded, step on my face for a picture scene; all relaxed, all smiles; you want a picture with anybody, just ask for it; want to chat, go to the free dinners with them, they'll seat on your table; it was not very much promoted internally, but it was there. I think is a good PR, and they're just people, like you and me (with much better wages).

XEL-HA: Is the most beautiful place I've visited. I love Xcaret and the night show is an experience not to be missed, Xplor is all fun for 10+ but you feel the man-made stuff all around; Xel-Ha is cheaper, natural, big and fun; my only grip is going with a tour, is just a hassle and slow process. My recommendation is to purchase the tickets directly on the Internet (10% cheaper) and arrange your own taxi (or rent a car at the airport, if you use taxi, grab its business card and return with the same person, he/she might give you a break on the price and will be there by the time you decide)

If you're reading up to this point you can have a feeling that we'll be returning to the Maya hotel in our next trip.

10 Thank Talyvan
Dear client,

Let us begin by thanking you not only for choosing to vacation at our lovely resort, but also for taking the time to send us your comments about your experience with us.

It is really an honor for us to know that you and your family enjoyed our resort again. We are thrilled to receive this type of feedback from our repeat customers; this way we know we are on the right path, and of course we will keep improving to provide the best of services.

We are very pleased to know that you liked our new facilities and services.

We regret the situation with the internet connection, in that matter and thanks to our guests suggestions we would like to inform you that we are working on improving that point this year; we are also planning to provide connection service from the rooms at an extra fee. Thank you for your observation and comments.

Once more thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to serving you again in the near future; we hope you do not hesitate to visit as we would consider it an absolute pleasure to serve you.

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have just returned from a very good family holiday at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Initially, I had some intrepidation due to the 10 hour flight time guesstimated from the UK and the potential impacts this could of had on our two children (2 and 10 years old) BUT any concerns were quickly alleviated as we jetted across the Atlantic in Thomsons latest fleet addition, the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. I don't normally comment on mode of transport but anyone travelling from the UK needs to understand that the Dreamliner is a must not least because of the additional space you receive travelling in economy class.
The Iberostar Paraiso Maya itself has the basis for a great family holiday. Plenty of swimming pool environments to suit toddlers, teenagers and, of course, us adults. Given the scale of the complex, I was pleased with the variety of food options available and no-one should really have any difficulties finding something enjoyable to eat. We also experienced several themed restaurants and particularly enjoyed the stake-house although I think that the children preferred the buffet format as it allowed them to pick and mix at will, which they did with gusto and creativity, combining chips (fries), tomatoe (I'm English) sauce (ketchup) with all sorts of fish, meat and ice cream combinations. It may not sound wonderful but the memories certainly will be.
Of course, what truly makes a great holiday are the people around you and as mentioned elsewhere, the staff at the Iberostar are a credit to the hospitality industry. From the room cleaner who creates towel sculptures of animals every night, catering staff who provide the biggest warm welcome at every table sitting, to the epic acts of energy displayed by every member of the Star Entertainment Team, I can only say that collectively they were faultless.
We have stayed in more luxurious accommodation across the Caribbean and Europe but if you're primary aim is to see your children smile and laugh then you really don't need to look beyond the Iberostar Paraiso Maya.
My only other tip? The hotel has enough happening to meet most discerning needs but if you are English and/or travelled a long way then you should really take the opportunity to see what else is beyond the hotel boundary. We visited Chichen Itza, Cenote and Xel-Ha to gain a glimpse of Mayan culture.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that are close to the central swimming pool areas. They tend to be quite noisy du...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Coxley
Dear Customer,

Your kind comments are very much appreciated. They will be forwarded to our Management so that they know of your impression and experience of your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to post such a pleasant review of our resort for the online community and possible future guests.

Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will also go far way in encouraging our team. We will forward the comments to the staff so that they can know that they were able to have another guest leave satisfied so much so they plan to return.

Thank you very much for trusting us, and to the above, we are confident that will soon be with us again.

Best regards,
Ashland, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had stayed twice at Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana, DR. and had looked at this resort in Mexico. Iberostar does a Great Job I think no matter where you go.
Never had a problem finding something great to eat, the rooms where very nice and very clean, and the staff were as good as always!!
To start trying to pick this place apart would be a joke, they work hard to take care of you and the resort is beautiful, it is a big resort but you know that going in so don't complain about that!
Thank you to all the staff at the resort for making out stay Great!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kslush1
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear customer,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for the time you have taken to share your comments on how your holiday went at Iberostar.

It certainly motivates us to continue improving hearing that you have had an outstanding experience at our resort and were pleased with many aspects of our resort including our staff.

We are truly thrilled to understand from your gracious remarks that not only did you have a memorable experience at our hotel but were also extremely impressed with our staff and facilities. We will certainly congratulate all the staff for contributing to making your holiday special.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Best regards,
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just returned from a 7 night vacation at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, it was such a fantastic experience with so many options of excellent food, drinks and festive environment. The most impacting was their own entertainment team, they did absolutely everything right to keep all of us busy during the day and funny mini-shows at night. Special thanks to their coordinator, William, don't know where his energy comes from but it was such a pleasure spending the week there while he was leading the large crew of entertainers. Foods and drinks were beyond imagination!!

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms, make sure you ask for connecting rooms at time of reservations, same if look...
2 Thank Richard G
Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent family vacation.

It is a cause of satisfaction to have contributed to making your holiday wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us and the rest of the online community your opinion of your stay at our hotel.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our delicious food in our restaurants, our beach and our shows; of course we will pass on your comment to William.

Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service. One more time, we would like to thank you for your preference; we are quite confident that you will be returning to our beautiful resort in the future and as such, we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,277 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!