“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I wouldnt go back to this hotel if it was free. Upon check out during our stay for a wedding in May, I left personal financial documents in a folder in our room. I called the concierge from the airport, and she found the documents in the room, and said she would secure them for safe keeping, and send them to me. They ran me in circles until I finally gave them a scanned copy of my credit card and license to ship these documents back to Boston, and then POOF all the sudden no knew where my documents were and they told me to take a hike. I had to contact our family lawyer, so he is aware that when my identify gets stolen we know where is stemmed from. Disgusting excuse for a resort. Overall, the food was terrible, room was not clean, and after pre-paying for our king size room, they gave us two twin beds instead. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jenna T
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear client,

First of all we would like to offer you our sincere apologies for your distress due to a very important matter like your documents.

We know that we cannot go back in time and change the situation, but we would like to clarify that the papers were accidentally destroyed, so nobody can use your information. We are REALLY sorry about what happened.

We reiterate our commitment to help in anything you need, as we have stated in the private emails we have exchanged.

As per your comments about the hotel, rooms and restaurants, these have also been referred to our Management to review our standards and work on improving our services.

Once again, we are truly sorry that your experience was spoiled and hope you let us know by e mail how we can help you.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Polish first
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Lindo for the last 4 years. This time we stayed at the Maya. I think the extra room and extras is worth the difference in rates. There were 8 of us and we had 3 rooms. 6 adults and 2 children. Once again everyone had a good time. We ate at the Japaneese , Mexican, and Steakhouse restaurants. The help could not do enough . The shows are ok and the magic show is a must. We stayed in building #61 on the second floor. If you are looking for an honest professional travel agent try Tami Pruitt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Billyboy044
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear friend,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacation destination and for choosing Iberostar repeatedly! We are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation and that you were able to take advantage of the activities as well as the other facilities offered by our resort.

We are truly thrilled to understand from your gracious remarks that you enjoyed your room, our restaurants (Mexican, Steakhouse and Japanese), and our staff; we will certainly congratulate all the staff for contributing to making your holiday special.

We are confident that you will be staying again at Iberostar and as such sincerely look forward to your next visit. It will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I travel at least 1 week every 3 months and have stayed at many 5 star resorts. The Maya is right at the top. I booked the Paraiso Lindo June 22 thru June 29 2013. I was upgraded to the Maya. From the hotel staff to restaurants to rooms activities and pools it was fantastic. The entire staff goes above and beyond to make sure you have a wonderful stay. Many of the staff learn your name and what you like and are serving you your tea or drinks before you even ask for them.The grounds are very well kept, the pools are sparkling, the staff is in the pool every day scrubbing the walls. Every staff member is pleasant and smiling all the time. I have stayed at many Dreams Resorts some good some very poor but I must say every Iberostar I have every stayed has been wonderful. The shows are fresh and entertaining the specialty restaurants are great. There was never a problem getting chairs or huts at the beach or pool. I am already planning my next family vacation and right now it looks like we will be heading back to the Maya.

Room Tip: If you can get your request room 6314 is perfect, close to pool, bar, lazy river. Easy walk cross ov...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pam O
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear customer,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacation destination. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that you were able to take advantage of the activities as well as the other facilities offered by our resort.

We are truly thrilled to understand from your gracious remarks that not only did you have a memorable experience at our hotel but you were also extremely impressed with our staff and facilities. We will certainly congratulate all the staff for contributing to making your holiday special.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

this is a list of my suggestions if you are planning on staying at the Iberostar Paraso Maya.

1. Be prepared to walk, resort is spread out. the resort has no beach front rooms. Pool area is very large and is shared with the "lindo" iberostar resort. This is not a problem. I would suggest staying in building 61, closer to the beach and close to the pool. Walking will be cut down.

2. We had to move rooms because of the air-conditioning in the room was not to our satisfaction. My suggestion is don't unpack for a couple of hours and see how the room cools. This will save you time packing and have to unpack in a new room.

3. If you need to exchange dollars for peso's. You will have to show your passport at the front desk. We used dollars the entire week, so exchanging is not necessary.

4. If you want cold bottled water in your room, place on the bottom of the refrigerator.

5. The beds are rock hard. You can have the concierge, there is one for each building to have a foam pad put on your bed. I have heard that there are several rooms that have pillow top beds. If you need a soft bed I would request one of those bed when you arrive.

6. Sign up for the restaurants, right away. They fill up quick. We went with another couple and both of us had good and bad dinners, so its hit or miss on the quality. I would go to the seafood and Japanese restaurants. Family did not care for the French restaurant, this is our first time eating french, will be our last.

Room Tip: building 61, great central location. ask for a room on top floor, we were on the second and heard...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Greg H
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear guest,

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback like yours, and on behalf of the entire team here at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation. We appreciate the fact that you took such care in detailing your vacation experience for all the readers on this medium.

We regret any dissatisfaction regarding our services and the layout of our resort. Some guests love the long walk around our beautiful grounds and other guests prefer to take a ride. We have a train going back and forth and we also have golf carts with our bell boys. We are happy to tell you that we have just bought new golf carts for our guests comfort. You can also pre-program a ride with the concierge and wait comfortably in your room until it arrives.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele and it is so gratifying to know that enjoyed this.

We apologize about the situation you had in your room. Our hotel tries to set an example in environmental friendliness by participating in a sustainability project which aims at saving energy, reducing waste and protecting our planet to show we care about future generations. This is the reason why we maintain the temperature of the air conditioner at 23 degrees and why the air conditioner automatically turns off when the balcony door is not shut properly. However, as our guests’ satisfaction comes first, we lower the temperature limit if our guests do not feel comfortable. They can feel free to talk to the Concierge about their concern and we will be more than glad to adapt the temperature to your personal needs.

In regard to your comment about our French restaurant, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, so he will be thankful to learn about your perception so that he is sure to go on the right direction.

We sincerely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit our resort as we would consider an honor to be able to serve you again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Iberostar México
NYC, NY
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Before we left, I read a lot of reviews on the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and was surprised by how bad they were. This was our 8th time to the Riviera Maya and a lot of those stays have been at an Iberostar. We love the chain and were really surprised by all the negative comments on this resort. Well, we just came back from a family vacation (10 people in total from ages 4 to 48) and we all had a great time! Such a great time that my sister is thinking of doing a "girls only" vacation at the Maya this Fall.

The biggest complaints I saw from past reviews were: (1) food and (2) size of resort. While the buffet could use a little variety from day to day, it is, however, not the inedible food that some reviewers have made it seem. Love the fresh juices and you can't really complain when there are caviar and crab claws at the buffet every day! As for size of the resort, yes, it's large, but we've stayed at some small resorts and got bored after a few days. With this resort, after 7 days, you still don't get bored since there's so much to see and do.

In all, a great resort with some minor faults and we'd gladly go back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank alice
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your kind feedback on our services. We are pleased to hear that you had a special holiday.

It was a pleasure to have been given the chance to serve you, and very encouraging hearing that our service, food and various staff members served to make your trip even more memorable. It certainly motivates us to continue improving learning that you had a great time and also will recommend our hotel to others.

We are quite confident that you will be returning to our beautiful resort in the future and as such, we look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
Bedford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently returned home from our second trip to an Iberostar Paraiso resort. We had stayed at the Lindo 2 years ago, but went to the Maya this time. The Jr Suite was well organized and spacious, even with 2 teenage daughters. Our housekeeper kept it very clean and restocked with towels, drinks, etc. The grounds, including the beach and pools, were immaculate. They are expansive so there is a lot of walking. We thought that was great because we could walk off some of what we ate! Unlike other commenters, we did not have any trouble finding chairs at 9 am at either the beach or the pool. Our favorite restaurants were the Japanese and the French which were both very excellent. The buffet offered a wide a wide variety and the offerings changed daily. If you can't find something there you like, you must be very picky!! If you like fruity drinks, try the banana daiquiri - they were amazing! We thought the entire staff was great - helpful and very friendly. If you're looking for something to do away from the resort, see Eric at Olympus Tours in the Maya lobby and book a trip to Xel-Ha. Overall, this was a wonderful, relaxing vacation. I just wish we could have stayed longer. We will definitely try another Iberostar resort!!

Room Tip: Our room was in building 63. It was a great location in the middle of everything - about halfway be...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Murdoch83
Dear guest,

Let us begin by saying thank you not only for choosing to vacation at our lovely resort, but also for taking time to send us your comments about your experience with us.

We are extremely proud to know that you and your family had a memorable experience at our hotel and are pleased to know that you were amazed with our new facilities and services.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to the Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to visit as we would consider it an absolute pleasure to serve you in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We've been to all-inclusive's at least once a year for the past 10 years and this is by far our favourite. As someone who suffers from celiac, it can be quite worrisome going to places like Mexico. Upon arriving we casually mentioned this, as we began talking with our concierge he gave us a letter to show at each restaurant we were at explaining to the staff (probably the cooks) that my food could not come in contact with gluten. Turns out I had a chef show up at each restaurant to ensure my needs were met. They even made me gluten free pancakes in the morning and gluten free pasta at the Italian restaurant. Ingrid, a blonde, (surprisingly Mexican) woman, was the one who spent the week with me, so I hope you're lucky enough to have her too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Gabe B
Dear Client,

It is a cause of satisfaction to know that as a team we were able to meet your expectations during your vacation in Mexico.

We will give the comments to the staff so that they can know that they were able to have another guest leave satisfied so much so they plan to return.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you and your family back for another great vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!