“Great Hotel, very rough beach”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We went on a family vacation with 2 kids age 5 and 7.
Initially we were supposed to be in the Iberostar Linda hotel, but when checking in, we asked about the upgrade cost to be in Maya. After negotiating the upgrade cost (remember, in Mexico everything is negotiable, never accept the first price offer from anyone!) we decided to go for it since Maya has mini suites as standard rooms and with 2 kids it was helpful to have a bigger room.

The hotel is amazingly beautiful, the grounds are extremely well kept. The whole property is HUGE. Linda and Maya hotels share the pools. There were a lot of people but since the property is so large you dont really notice it.

Pools pools and more pools! If you like the ocean, this is not the place for you. When we were there the ocean was very rough, huge waves, fun to jump in but no chance of swimming. The beach itself is gorgeous and its a shame that waters are so rough. I'm a diver and did 3 dives with Dresel Divers right on the beach. For scuba once again, look elsewhere.. only 1 dive site was open because of rough waters. So because of all of this, we hung out at the pool most of the time. Pools are gorgeous! There is no chlorine, i'm guessing they use salt water filters, so the water does not have a smell and its very soft. Staff takes great care of pools and cleans it throughout the day. Kids had a blast in the main pool, wave pool and in the waterpark. In the afternoon, kids spent time in kids-club and had fun there.
Overall, kids have lots of things to do, which is great for adults!

Food:
Being in Maya hotel you have access to better food then Linda. After trying specialty restaurants, we settled on Sea Food and dined there every day.
Note, men need to wear long pants for restaurants. Sea food restaurant has a buffet which you can go to even if you dont have a reservation. This buffet is more then enough for everyone's taste. Great sea food, meats, no complaints. The other restaurants are..so ..so.. (at least for our taste)

Bars:
Remember to tip if you want stronger drinks!

Room Tip: Tip your bartenders and waiters for better service! Not a highly advertised fact, but Maya lunch/br...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the hotel staff of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, we would like to thank you for not only choosing our lovely resort to spend your vacation, but also for taking the time to share with us, your opinion of your stay.

We are truly thrilled to learn from your kind comments that we have been successful in providing you with a great vacation and also certainly appreciate your special mention about our resorts, facilities and service delivered by our staff.

Regarding your comment about the ocean, we would like to inform you that this depends of the season; on the other hand we are glad to know that you enjoyed our pools and your kids were happy with our fun activities!

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to the Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to visit as we would consider it an absolute pleasure to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

After reading publicpersona31's review, I thought their experience was similar to ours. We went to the Maya, along with 33 other guests, on April 3, for my niece's wedding and stayed for nine days. Our room was very clean and we found the staff to be helpful and were so happy to see how they were always working on painting and trimming. The advantage of the Maya was the private pool which we enjoyed as we did not plan a vacation with children. The first two night we were disappointed as there were Spring Break groups up all night and the resort had advertised not being a Spring Break for students location. We bought the lazy river tubes, and left them there for others as there were not enough provides tubes. Like the towels, this should be addressed.

The food was fine, nothing extraordinary except in the French Restaurant. It was excellent. At a table for 10, everyone's steak was tough at the steak house and at the seafood restaurant be careful as not everything is fresh. The Japanese Restaurant was OK, but the fun of the chef was spoiled by the rudeness of the server. This was the only place where we experienced any wait staff issues. Most everyone was accommodating and eager to be of service.

The Spa services and mineral baths were very nice. They are available for use if you stay at the Maya. The hair stylists did my nieces' hair and watching the process, they really knew what they were doing! The result was they were perfectly coiffed for a wedding at the beach and not a hair moved out of place.

In that area is a taco restaurant with some of the best food! It is worth a lunch outing, along with some very simple shops and the location of the disco.

We went to an evening show at the Lindo and were quite surprised by the water on the floors around the fountains. One of our guests fell and bruised her knee quite badly. Be very careful of that area if the wind is blowing. It seems the wind is always blowing.

The rehearsal dinner was on the beach and absolutely beautiful! The food was lovely and the atmosphere set up with a harpist and mariachi band was great! However, as we were getting ready to eat, the maintenance people decided to coat the wooden walkway with a petroleum based product, It was very strong and smelled terrible. The groom's family finally got them, to stop, but even with the ocean breeze it lingered. Not good planning for an event that cost the family a great deal.

The wedding was lovely, once they got it ready. We were to be at the beach location at 4:30. However, when we got there it was not set up. We ere ushered to the beach bar by the wedding planner's assistant and finally, at 4:55, it was set up for a 5:00 wedding. The planner left by golf cart at 5:00 to pick up the bride and her parents. The family had already started walking because the planner ran so late, having been told they would be picked up at 4:45.

The wedding was beautiful, but unlike another destination wedding we attended in Saint Lucia, the planner did not do a good job of keeping guests from standing around and becoming a part of the wedding pictures. People will watch, but not right behind the bride and groom.

The reception was at the Mediterranean Restaurant and we were surprised the next day when we went back to the location for lunch. We hadn't eaten there before and they had done a great job the night before of creating a very nice atmosphere in the room and the food was definitely upgraded.

On our last day, we walked up the pool ramp to take pictures and enjoy an ice cream cone. As we were walking down the other side, my brother walked behind me as it was exceptionally slippery and he didn't want me to get hurt. We were hanging on to the wall. Suddenly, my brother slipped and hit his head on the concrete wall on one side and his knee on the other. He could not get up. His head had a bad abrasion, but the worse was that his knee was not where it should be. They finally got the doctor for the resort and he wanted him to try and stand. He had nothing to immobilize his knee and took his blood pressure. He did not have a cuff that fit his arm and he took it on the left side. He told him that he must have blacked out from his blood pressure. Not true. He said didn't you see the slippery/wet sign again not true. That was brought out by the maintenance people when he was lying there. In fact, one of the other wedding guests took pictures of it because of what was happening. Finally, my brother said, he felt the doctor was more concerned about liability for the resort than his well being. At that point the doctor got a golf cart with a pallet and we headed to the infirmary. All the doctor would say was that he would need to spend the night in the hospital to bring down his blood pressure. What was that about? We had no idea. But we did know that something was really wrong with his leg and we needed to get to a hospital and seek medical care. From there, we took an ambulance to the hospital in Cancun - which is about 30 minutes away. The ambulance attendants were excellent and monitored him carefully.

The hospital was clean, efficient and very helpful. The trauma doctor was also an orthopedic specialist, took x-rays and explained that my brother had snapped his patella tendon and would need surgery. Because we were leaving the next morning, he opted to have an immobilizer put on it and get home. He had surgery in the States and is now on a long road to recovery.

The doctor at the hospital checked his eyes and head right away and took his blood pressure. His blood pressure was very normal - especially for such a trauma and he just looked at me as I told him about the other doctor's assessment and did he need to be on some kind of an overnight drip.
After the assessment and immobilizer, the hospital called a cab for us and we made our way back to the resort.

Through all of this one of the family members went right to the Apple representative and told him what happened. He was having an Apple Rep meet us at the hospital. The hospital told us that she called, but in the two hours that we were there, she never showed up or was any help. The Apple Rep at the hotel gave us no help the next day regarding the travel arrangements to the airport. The private vehicle to take us direct was the same group vehicle other had taken and it was crowded and his was in a great deal of pain. Other than to want to book additional tours during the week, the Apple Rep was of no help when we really needed him. My sister made several calls to the Apple all night number and then the concierge even tried to help us - but no one ever answered for either of them. We had hoped to get some direction from them regarding the trip the next day back to the states.

The resort doctor had told me to bring the report from the hospital to him the next morning. When I asked him what time he finally said, 8:30. So I was there, but he wasn't and the clinic was locked up and dark. I slid the hospital's report under the door and left, hoping not to see this gentleman again.

Accidents happen, but when medical care is advertised on site, then it should be quality concern about the victim and not protection of the resort.

We learned that family is wonderfully supportive, the hospitals and medical personnel were great, but the resort really fell down when we needed them the most!!!! Our advice - don't get hurt!

Room Tip: We were right across from the elevator - which was great for our 86 year old mom. But the compromis...
3  Thank Marme_13
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed April 22-27. Single mom with a nine-year-old girl in 11-year-old boy. Stayed in building 62 which was a great location. Once you figured out all the great nooks and crannies, it just got better and better. See all prior reviews for all the tips and tricks.

The ocean was safe enough for my nine-year-old to go by herself. Yellow flag and red flags the whole time we were there. Safe during yellow flags.

I have been to Barcelo tropical, Valentin Imperial Maya, Akumal beach resort. This place definitely had the most activities by far. However I think overall we just preferred Barcelo last time. Little less overwhelming.

Thank you, Iberostar, for your very hard-working employees. You roll out the red carpet.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank MollyIsaacSophia

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

We appreciate you taking time to write a review for Trip advisor about your stay with Iberostar, it gives us a great deal of satisfaction hearing that we have been successful in providing you with an outstanding vacation and are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our facilities the excellent service delivered by our staff.

We hope that if ever returning to our beautiful Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to return as we would consider it a privilege to host you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked a family suite (2 connecting rooms) for me and my husband and 3 teenage daughters through the online travel agent Visit Us Inc. These rooms are sold at a premium. When we arrived to the resort around noon, we were told that there was a "plumbing problem" and they did not have a family suite at the Maya. Then then tried to move us to a family suite at the resort next door, the Lindo. We requested to see that room and then to see a room at the Maya so we could compare. The Maya is MUCH nicer and we preferred to stay there. They offered us a $3,000 refund to stay at the Lindo but we declined. After a 2.5 hour negotiation, they finally offered us 2 rooms at the Maya (4 doors apart) for the first night, then agreed to move us to 2 rooms next door to each other for the remaining 6 nights and give us a $1,000 refund. We ultimately were fine with the refund in exchange for rooms next door to each other, but were VERY disappointed that we had to spend so much time negotiating this deal. The travel agent Visit Us Inc was no help and basically insisted that the resort solve the problem since the resort couldn't honor the initial reservation. We found the food to be average at best. Pool areas and beach very crowded. On the plus side, the place was very clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. However, we aren't returning to this resort .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We genuinely regret hearing about the issue with the rooms; we will pass your comments on to our manager in order to take the necessary measures to avoid these incidents in the future that can definitely shadow your experience.

We hope however that we will once again have the pleasure of serving you in order to prove to you, our dedication to customer service and satisfaction. Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I and our three daughters, aged 18, 17 and 10 arrived at our first ever all inclusive. The reception was warm, nothing great. We stayed in the 60 complex closest to the pools, beach and restaurants.
When we arrived at our room they were still cleaning it at 3:30 in the afternoon. We went to eat at the lunch buffet (as we were starving) while our rooms were getting cleaned. The food by that time of day was out a while, but not bad. The breakfast and lunch buffets has a great variety to choose from the food was good.
We then retreated back to our rooms which were large and spotless. I will say that they spent almost an hour eveyday cleaning our rooms and we are neat people. The mattresses however were old, springy and not very comfortable. In fact, when my youngest and I headed back to our room to go to sleep (everyone else was still out at a late dinner), I smelled urine. Once I smelled the mattress, it was clear that someone had an accident and never told. I called, and I will say that they immediately brought up a brand new mattress (still in its plastic) and changed it. They did not however change the sheets. My other biggest complaint of the rooms were the smell. It had a strong hotel odor (almost like a dirty vacuum smell) although there were no carpets, it bothered me a lot.
The pool was fun, very clean as was the beach area, however, if you did not put a towel on the chairs at either place by 9 am, you were in the hot sun all day!!!
The food was average---nothing great, nothing bad.
My biggest pet peeve was that you spend all this money, and they tried to up sell you on everything! Nothing is included as it with many of the others. From the tequila and cigars, to a spa treatment.
In any event, my kids thought it was great and had a great time! I did too--don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't return.

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar to spend your vacation. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your experience at our hotel.

We really appreciate your comments. About the room, we would like to inform you that every concern presented by our guest is very important to us. We are really sorry about the mattress situation, and the odor you mentioned. Maids are always refreshing rooms in order to avoid such incidents, so our deepest apologies for that. We will forward your comments to the Manager in order to take the necessary measures to correct the situation.

We genuinely hope to serve you again at Iberostar and therefore look forward to seeing you again at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I visited the Paraiso Maya for 9 days in April with my wife and two kids, age 10. This was our third time at this resort, the last time being about 3 years ago. Overall, the resort has held up quite well: grounds, food, and services are at the higher end for a beach resort. While it may not be “five stars” when compared to say, a hotel in a large metropolitan area, I don’t believe you will be disappointed.

Location:
The hotel is about 30 minutes south of Cancun airport. It is part of a large Iberostar complex consisting of five hotels. From north to south they are: the Del Mar, the Beach, the Lindo, the Maya, and the Grand. Roughly speaking, the Del Mar/Beach are one hotel, sharing all facilities, while the Lindo/Maya are another, sharing most, but not all facilities. The Lindo/Maya offer better facilities, room, services, than the Del Mar/Beach, while the Grand is in a class by itself, with really high-end luxury, but only for adults. I have never stayed at the Lindo, but my impression is that the rooms are a bit smaller, and that they do not necessarily have access to all the restaurants and bars on the Maya side, or their access is limited.

Grounds/Buildings/Communication:
The main architectural feature of the Maya is a reproduction of the pyramid at Chichen Itza, which hosts the main bar and several restaurants. Leading from the pyramid are a series of buildings, 3 stories, roughly perpendicular to the beach and aligned along the south end of the pool complex. There are gardens everywhere, and the grounds are impeccably maintained.
The Lindo/Maya complex is centered around the main pool area, with the Lindo to the north, the Maya to the south. Restaurants are located near the pyramid, as well as near the beach. Between the rooms and the beach, there is a small stretch of jungle, which you cross on one of two boardwalks.
The resort is HUGE. It easily takes you 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other. They have shuttle buses, but the frequency is not that great. I would definitely not suggest this place to anyone with any mobility problems.
Free WiFi is available in the lobby. I think they have wired internet in the rooms, but I never used it. TV’s get the usual assortment of Spanish/English channels.

Rooms:
The rooms are in the junior suite category. They have something called “family suites”, which I think may be a bit bigger, but I do not believe they have any two room suites. You get one king size or two full size beds, a sitting area, a balcony (some with hammocks), a large bathroom with Jacuzzi tub, plus the usual other hotel amenities. Rooms are clean, with air conditioning, and a fridge with drinks and beer that is restocked every day, or whenever you ask. I don’t think there is a “best” room. Rooms in the 60 block are closest to the beach, but because of the little jungle area, they are not quite “on” the beach. Rooms in higher number blocks are closer to the pyramid, restaurants, etc. So no matter where you go, you will be close to some things, and far from others.

Pool/Beach:
The center pool complex consists of several pools: a lazy river, where you can float and go slowly around a little “island”. A sports pool. A wave pool, with artificial waves every hour, and a large main pool with waterfalls, fountains, and a swim up bar. Pool is huge, and when we were there, quite warm. Lots of chairs with umbrellas. Good spots are usually taken early, but we never had any problem finding something with an umbrella when we showed up in the early afternoon.
Beach has fine sand, with lots of chairs with umbrellas available. Again, never a problem finding some, but the first row ones are “reserved” early in the morning (more on that later). The surf is rough, with a good breeze blowing on most days. Lots of fun, but this is windward facing so you’ll rarely get a very flat ocean. There are some rocks in the water, though the area right in front of the main lifeguard tower is rock-free pretty much as far out as you’d care to go. FYI, there will be a few to many topless women sunbathing, though not too many walking around. So if this matters to you, stay at the pool.

Food:
I’ve read a lot of reviews on this site, and I can’t understand how some folks post that the food was inedible. The food may not be Michelin Five Star, but it is very, very, good, and sometimes quite excellent. Here’s what you do: when you get to the hotel, go down and see your concierge. There is one right at the base of the stairs for each building. Ask him/her to make you reservations at the a la carte restaurants during your stay. There are many to choose from, both in the Lindo/Maya as well as in the Del Mar/Beach complex. Be flexible on which ones and time, and you can get reservations for each day of your stay. They’re all good. Our favorite was the seafood and the Mexican. We also enjoyed the French one, but that one is just for adults.
For breakfast, go up to the pyramid to the La Marina restaurant, which in the evening is seafood, but in the morning serves breakfast, both a la carte and buffet. It’s much better than going to the larger buffet restaurant that is on the Lindo side. Much quieter, and much better service. Buffet choices are extensive, ranging from omelet stations, to fresh fruit, to cereal, to traditional Mexican. The waiters will bring you coffee, juice, cappuccino, or pretty much anything you ask for.
Lunch is the weakest of the meals. They have a buffet available at the beach restaurants as well as up near the pyramid, but unless they were serving some Mexican specialties, the rest was pretty standard stuff. Not bad, but nothing earth shattering. We usually ended up having lunch at the beach buffet, which offered a small selection of somewhat lighter food, and you could stay in your wet bathing suit. BTW, during the day, you should plan on a beach cover up for the restaurants in the resort. In the evening, the a la carte restaurants require long pants for men.
Two more things: you have room service (limited menu, but pretty tasty), and you have an ice cream parlor right at the end of the pool area, above the swim up bar.

Activities/Sports/Tipping:
They have the “Star Friends” folks who are up and about throughout the day doing all sorts of activities, from sports, to dancing lessons, to crafts. They are very nice, and there’s never any pressure to participate. Dressel Divers runs the watersports. They can arrange for SCUBA, parasailing, etc. In the evenings, they have shows in the main theater, which range from very good (the Mexican folklore show), to your standard resort stuff, with silly contest and some audience participation. There is a great kids club, open from 10 to 4. My kids are getting a bit old for it, but in past trips, they have greatly enjoyed all the activities. The staff there is great, and they keep the kids entertained with sports, movies, and crafts. Tipping is not expected, but I think you’ll find that these folks work very hard, and any gesture will be greatly appreciated.

Complaints/Recommendations:
1) Either get rid of the signs asking people not to reserve beach and pool chairs, or start enforcing it. While we never had problems getting a chair, it is frustrating to see the best chairs go empty for hours at a time, while they’re nominally occupied by a magazine or flip flop left on them early in the morning. Recently, we stayed at a resort in Miami where the staff would walk around a couple of times a day, leaving a note on the chair which said, in effect, if this note is still on the chair in a couple of hours, we’ll store your stuff for you. I thought that was a good way to do it.
2) They need to control the animal population a bit more. In the jungle area near the beach, there are lots, and I mean LOTS, of coatis ( a raccoon type animal), as well as capybaras. Even though they shouldn’t, folks feed them, and it seems to me that their numbers have really grown since the last time, and they seem more aggressive. I think it’s going to soon get out of control.
3) The towel/card system is silly. When you check in, each guest gets a card, which you trade in for a towel at the pool. From the on, you can trade in your towels for fresh ones, as often as you like. The problem is that you always have to keep track of your towels, and if you loose one, there is a charge. And we’re not talking plush 1000 thread towels here. These are threadbare, overwashed, overused, beach towels which probably cost a couple of dollars wholesale. I don’t understand it. It’s not like anyone would want to steal them, and even if they do, given the price of the rooms, and the cheapness of the towels, you’d think they could just live with it. I’d happily pay an extra $20 a week just to not have to worry about where my towels are.

Summary:
If you want a great, stress free resort for your family, don’t hesitate, book now. You will not be disappointed. Be flexible with regards to your dinner reservations (all the restaurants are good), bring some small bills to tip the staff, and go enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank publicpersona31

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacation in Mexico. We would like to express our genuine appreciation for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community, your opinion of your experience with us.

It undeniably motivates us to continue improving when we hear that your vacation at our resort has been outstanding. Comments like this far motivate as to keep up the hard work.

Regarding coatis / mapaches, we discourage people to feed them with signs near the boardwalk but this practice is still done and this leads them to get confidence and get around guests without any fear. They are harmless, really, and we do work all year around to control population, but we are working right now with the Government on a program of further control and relocation. We will inform our guests when we have their reply.

Regarding reservation of chairs, it is a problem we are trying to solve, but solution is not easy as touching personal belongings can be seen as an invasion of privacy. We are looking into it to find a solution soon. Thanks for that recommendation!

Thank you so much for your positive comments about our food and other services.

Please be assured that we will do our best in order to improve constantly and make our guests feel as comfortable as in their own home.

In case of any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just came back from a week there with my family. It was a great family vacation. We stayed at the Paraiso Maya and was very happy with the resort. It is a large complex with a beautiful pool area with a lazy river and wave pool. The beach was gorgeous and there were plenty of chairs no matter what time you ventured out. There is plenty of entertainment all day long with fun activities at both areas. Our rooms were fine. They are not luxurious but they were what I would expect from these types of resorts. They were clean and spacious. We are never in our room except for sleeping anyway. The food was good for an all inclusive resort. There was always plenty of choices at the buffets so my picky eaters always found something to eat. We did go to all the restaurants and they were fine. The best meals we had wer at the seafood and steak restaurants. My sons ages 11 and 14 loved the tacos at the mexican restaurant. This is definitely one of the better all inclusive family resorts that we have been to. We used a travel agent to book this and she did a fabulous job. I would highly recommend using Jennifer Toren jennifer@TripGuy.com when book a vacation. She took care of everything for us from researching resorts for us to booking our dinner reservations. We did not have to do a thing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and staff we like to extend gratitude for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Paraiso Maya to spend your vacation.

It is most satisfactory to know that we have contributed to making your vacation a success. We are indeed happy to know that you have enjoyed our well kept grounds, the rooms, and our food in general but specially our wonderful seafood restaurant which is one of the jewels of our resort. At the Iberostar we try to provide an ambience that will fulfill guests’ satisfaction to the highest level.

We are extremely thankful that you expressed your sincere satisfaction with our impeccable service.

Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you again at our lovely hotel.

Iberostar México

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#23 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!