“Best eesort I have ever stayed at”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am so happy with the service, food, location, the condition and cleanliness of the room and all the activities. The resort is like a mini city with small shopping mall and everything. We only left the resort once to go snorkeling in Cozumel. This was our second time there and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank marie123j
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dearest Guest,

First of all, thank you so much for choosing Iberostar. Our main goal is to offer the best vacational experiences to our guests, and reading this kind of reviews make us feel extremely happy. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We really appreciate the time you took in writing this excellent review. We feel honored to have contributed to make your stay unforgettable.
We are already looking forward to your return trip next year.

Best regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,148)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was my first time at an all inclusive. I went as part of a large group for a 4 day weekend. It was very convenient not to have to sign for drinks and food. Food was okay but I missed not having many menu options to choose from at dinner. This place was packed with things to do from daily activities (water aerobics, archery, beach volleyball, etc) to hanging at the pool to laying at the beach which I have to say was the best parts of this resort. At night there is a Star Wars themed disco (one for adults and one for kids). A theater that has live entertainment each night. The pool has a small lazy river and wave pool which was perfect for small kids. There are alot of water sports options right on the property. Overall if you like an action packed, no worries, no hotel bills at checkout vacation then this is a great place and great value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sharkmom62

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar Paraiso

It is a cause of satisfaction to have contributed to making your holiday wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us and the rest of the online community your opinion of your stay at our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Dining choices were few that were available, buffet below average, room cleaning sub par, kids running around out of control. Drinks VERY watered down. Could not get a reservation for dinner before 9pm. Stayed at the Maya where they charged me $200US to look at their hot tub and spa, which was NOT very impressive.

Room Tip: get close to the pool or beach, whatever you might enjoy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Parnellitx

Dear customer,

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding our culinary offer. We have many options for our guests: 7 options of restaurants a la carte: Mexican, Cajun, steakhouse, seafood, gourmet, Japanese, Mediterranean and one main buffet with different themes each night: international, oriental, Spanish, Caribbean, Italian, etc. For breakfast and lunch, we have two restaurants with many options for our guests and also we have a snack bar on the beach. In addition, you can use restaurants at our sister resorts Mar & Beach.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your standards. We already shared it with the departments involved in order to look for improvement and enhance the quality.

This hotel is family oriented that is why you could find many kids in our resort, however we will take in consideration your constructive comments because it is for you that we can and must improve our services.

Once again, thank you for this feedback; we really appreciate your recognition of our service. We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We are seasoned travellers, and frequent the RM Area yearly. We spent 4 years at the Grand Palladium, and 2 at the Barcelo Palace. This resort is no where near a 5 star, and I will not return. There where however some nice elements of this place which I will list below.

Check In:
Extremly organized and quick. Problably the fastest I have ever seen. We were in and out and on our way to our room's in 10 minutes. We had 2 Room's, Myself with my friend, and my parents.

Room:
Parent's room looked like it has never been properly maintained ever. Paint peeling off the walls, door's broken and just glued back together. Room was just overly dirty. Tub's in both room's had black mold in all the Jet fittings, the showers had a large gap allowing water to go all over the floor during all showers, and yes, as mentioned in previous reports, black mold almost everywhere. The King bed in my parent's room was harder than the marble floor, even after they put a matress topper on it, however the bed's in my room (We had 2 double's) where as soft as soft could be, Almost as soft as my bed at home. My room was not in as bad as shape, however there was mold in all the little corners in the bathrom.

Food:
This was a huge dissapointment. The breakfest buffet was the same old every day. I always found something I liked, as I am not a picky eater, however the same thing for 7 day's get's old, and tiring. The supper buffet was a little better, but not what you expect from a 5 star.
The specialty restaurants, what a JOKE!! Steakhouse was disgusting. I filled up on appetizers as there was lot's (Including pizza). And we had to get our own dessert from the salad bar area. Cajun was ok. The main course was good, appetizers cold, and once again had to get our own dessert. French was a joke! Nothing for french food here, and the food itself was horrible. I ordered an esspresso after dinner and it came thicker than chocolate sauce. The japanese however was the only good one, minus the dessert. It was a complete waste of our time to go to any of these restaurants.

Pool:
Pool was ok. Was a nice size however for the amount of chairs around the pool, it deffinetly get's way too crowded. Towel game is in full effect here, and unless you are up around 5am you get pretty much nothing near the pool. Such a shame since we seen 4 chairs with towel's, and no one even came to claim them until 5pm. I was tempted to swap their chair's with our's. The swim up bar was huge and nice, however only ever 2 ppl working here, and was always filled with loud drunk adult's lingering there from about 1-5. Made it extremly difficult to even get in to get a drink. And when I mean drunk people, they were standing on the bar and walking all over it. What ever happened to security?? I know we are on vacation, however be respectfull of others!! The staff at the swim up bar however were amazing, and they always remembered my drink. There was poolside service as well, and for the most part, if you tipped them here and there, they would always come back pretty quick, however sometimes they would not come around. They where great people and were deffinetly working very hard!!

Beach:
A very nice beach with crappy beach chair's. I can not complain about the beach at all as it was very well kept, and always a chair to be found.

Entertainment:
The activity staff where second to none. They where always out and about making sure people of all ages where having a good time. The show's at night where always entertaining and the staff themselves where simply outstanding.

Grounds:
The buildings and ground's of this property where stunning, and well kept. The pyramid bar was a nice place to grab a drink, the lobby's where nicely decorated, and the shopping centre was nice as well. Our building even had it's own private pool with waiter service in the afternoon!!

Staff:
The staff where simply outstanding!! They where always saying hello, and willing to bed over backwards to ensure your visit was the best it could be. The concierge in our building was very friendly and always very helpfull. A tip for all, you can get your towel's from your concierge!! On more than one occasion, our door lock would not work. Sometimes it took us standing there trying to get in for at least a minute before it would open. The concierge had MTC there in under 10 minutes to install new door locks. This however did not solve the problem. Again our safe would not work (Dead Batteries), she had MTC there in under 10 minutes again. I can not tell you enouph how amazing the staff at this place was!!

Overall:
I could right forever, however you get the basic picture. It is truly shamefull that I had to give such a nice looking resort, with awesome staff a 3 star. I had a great time, dont get me wrong, however for the price I paid to stay at a 5 star, you expect a 5 star. I should have only paid for 3 star and saved some money. Would I ever return to this resort, I can not say I never will, I would ONLY if the price was right. I have stayed at much nicer properties than this for the money I paid.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Friend,

Let us begin by thanking you for choosing to vacation at our resort and for taking the time to write your comments about your stay.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food and beverage quality. We already shared it with the departments involved in order to look for improvement and enhance the quality. The food variation in our buffets are part of our quality standards and under no circumstances will our Chef and our Health and Security department place the same food from previous services at any of our restaurants. We will inform our Executive Chef who is always making an effort to offer a varied and quality menu, as he is always open to hearing feedback to adapt to our clients’ needs.

Regarding our rooms, please note that their style is being done accordingly to the hotel structure and decoration is to be matched with our tropical/ jungle style. However we do believe that renovations and improvements can be done and even though they are carried out throughout the year, they are done by areas since the hotel never closes and we need to ensure that there are no inconveniences to our guests during their stay at our resort. Regarding our beds, we have, upon our guests’ request, toppers to soften and make beds more comfortable for those who find them too firm. We also have the option of leaving extra pillows and extra blankets in the rooms.

Concerning your comment about the chairs, what occasionally happens is that guests want to go back to the same area every time they go to the beach or pool. Unfortunately, this is not always possible. However, if you see that somebody occupies a sun bed for hours without even being there please inform any of our staff in the beach and they will pass on the information to the people in charge.

We really appreciate your feedback with your different point of view; these constructive comments help us in order to improve the service in our hotel.

We sincerely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit our resort as we would consider an honor to be able to serve you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Iberostar México

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel was simply perfect, and we feel that we got excellet value for our dollar. We have stayed at other comparable priced hotels and find them to have moldy smell to them. This hotel not only took cleanliness to another level, the quality of the food and beverages was superb. Another huge plus is that we were able to get reservations to the ala cart restaurants every single night we wanted one. I will stay at this hotel or another under the Iberostar family for years to come

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear friend,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Lindo for your vacation in Mexico. We would like to express our genuine appreciation for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community, your opinion of your experience with us.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele, so it is so gratifying to know that enjoyed all of it!

We look forward to seeing you again in our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Warm regards,

Iberostar Mexico.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

What an enormous disappointment this Iberostar resort turned out to be. My family and I have just returned from 3 nights at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya, following a lovely 4 days at Dreams Riviera Cancun. There was no comparison between these two resorts, which were priced comparably. Dreams was great and I'll post a separate review there. But the Iberostar Paraiso Maya was an enormous let down (particularly for the price) with a shabby and uncomfortable room, terrible food, terrible service and even a disappointing beach -- a beach you can't see from the resort without first walking through the short "jungle path", and which you can't swim on because it's so rough.

Let me begin by saying that I love Mexico and have had positive experiences at other resorts in the Riviera Maya and Cancun areas, both all-inclusive and not.

First, the few pros:
Staff was warm and friendly, even if not exactly helpful (see below).
Entertainment team made a genuine effort to be welcoming and to engage us and our kids.
The nightly kids show for the younger kids was something they enjoyed.
The kids also enjoyed the small lazy river and "water park", as well as the large pools with waterfalls and wave pool.
I had a brief visit to the medical clinic for an injury and found that to be clean and efficient.
You can get a good skim milk latte, cappuccino or espresso at breakfast if you ask.

The cons:
Terribly ineffective (but overly-friendly) concierge staff: We spent most of our first afternoon stuck in the room waiting for new room keys because one of the ones given at check-in stopped working the first time we left the room. Our concierge let us back in, took both keys to get us new ones with some explanation that she couldn't just replace one... and never returned. My husband and I took turns going to the concierge desk to inquire, before one of the staff members finally handed us an envelope with two keys from her pocket. As was the case before this two and a half hour wait: one "new" key worked, one didn't. We suspect they never went anywhere. Similarly, I asked her to call for a cart to take a family member to another area of the resort complex. It never arrived. We asked to have a maintenance worker look at a very active insect hive on our balcony (swarm of bee-ish bugs out there one afternoon). She offered to send a fumigator as if this is a normal complaint. However, none ever arrived.

The dinner reservations I made through Amex travel before arrival were apparently not sufficient and I was told by the same concierge that she had to "re-enter them" all in their systems in order for them to be valid. So I gave her the dates and times and was asked to sit and wait by her desk for her to do this (I thought at the time: why can't they just drop them off so I could go to the beach with my kids?). I complied, and was glad that I had waited because when I looked at the little slips she handed me at the end, two were for the same day and time and we had no reservations for the third night. Really nothing we asked the concierge to help with was done properly the first time. Not. One.Thing.

The food: Breakfast buffet (especially the fresh omelette bar) and the afternoon ice cream by the pool were the sole saving graces of the food at this resort. I have never had such terrible lunches and dinners. The lunch buffets were identical all three days so we did our best to try a variety of items and literally never found a single dish among all four family members that we could say was "good". For dinner, the Mexican restaurant meal and the French restaurant (despite our lovely waiter Carlos) were the absolute worst. The lobster was frightening. The steak had a metallic flavor barely masked by the sauce which tasted like soy sauce and looked like the gravy that comes on cat food. It was served with a single asparagus spear, in a puddle of liquid something which might have been pureed potato... or might have been wallpaper paste. Really dreadful.

The pools were large and generally clean, but the towel card process and having to reserve chairs by early in the morning was a pain. One of our towels disappeared early in our stay and we had to really debate with the staff why we shouldn't be charged for a towel and hassled before we got another. Finally they admitted that there was a large group leaving that day and many towels had been disappearing. Bartenders and wait staff at the pool were surly and unfriendly -- to the point of being a topic of conversation in a chat with other guests. Drinks were mostly overly sweet, with no fresh juices except for lime juice notable in anything. My kids wouldn't even drink the frozen virgin daiquiris or "tiger" drinks because they were too sweet and artificial-tasting.

The accommodations: our room was simply shabby. It had a badly stained, scruffy sofa with the torn lining hanging loose from under the frame. The shower leaked all over the bathroom with each shower and had moldy corners. One of two soap dispensers in the shower was missing the bolt to hold it on so was easily knocked off the wall. I took one look at the cover that fell off and was nearly sick as it was completely black with mold on the back side. This is soap for guests to wash with?? The bed was very firm, with few pillows and plastic-feeling linens. The A/C in the room was set not to go below 72 degrees, but I'd be shocked if it was ever cooler than 75 in the room. At night the AC shut off completely and we sweltered.

We also could not open the patio doors most of the time to try to cool off the room for two reasons. First: there was a very visible swarm of bee-like bugs going in and out of a crack in the stucco on the balcony above us (corner visible from our balcony). Hundreds. They came and went in a giant cloud. Unfortunately, so did the very pronounced odor of marijuana smoke, which we smelled off and on in the corridors of our building and on our balcony. Not exactly the wholesome family environment I had hoped for traveling with small children. Add this to the large group of young "adults" smoking and drinking nonstop in the pool and I wonder what market this resort really wants to serve.

In a nutshell, we just simply would never consider staying at this resort again. Ever. I wish I had seen the "Wouldn't go back even if they paid me!" review before I went. I agree with that reviewer's comments and experience wholeheartedly. In the end we had a fun time with our family anyway, but that was a deliberate choice choice that we're considering a triumph of attitude over environment. I recommend to others to avoid this place -- particularly with kids. You can do better at a similar price at other places.

5  Thank GeorgiaOnMyMind_2010
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Customer,

We really appreciate the time you took in writing this review.

We apologize about the bad impression you had of our hotel, please let us offer further information on certain areas, without trying to excurse ourselves about some aspects of our service that have room for improvement.

We are currently taking part in several initiatives for our employees to offer an excellent customer service. They do so throughout the year, but we are preparing a very personalized and thorough training program that will cover many different areas that can indeed affect service.

Regarding your comment about our food, our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte Restaurants, however we have shared your comments with him and the departments involved in order to look for improvement and enhance the quality. They are always open to receive feedback from our clients.

We would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved. All our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. With respect to the beds, we would like to mention that all the mattresses in our rooms comply with a standard; nevertheless, we have toppers to soften the beds upon our guests’ request.

With respect at air conditioning, let us explain you that we are a green hotel, we are certified members of the “Green Globe”program, and one of the energy measures is to maintain all our AC at the same temperature (23 degrees). However, please know that when our guests request a change in the temperature, we can accommodate that with no problems.

Concerning consumption of marihuana, we would like to highlight that it is an illegal product in our country, and therefore if someone is caught consuming it, they will be consigned to the appropriate authorities.

All the problems that may arise during your stay can be resolved by informing your concierge immediately.

We wish you might consider giving us another opportunity to host you in the near future to experience all the positive changes made based on our guests recommendations with the intention of enhancing our facilities and keeping the natural environment that represents our hotel.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've to this hotel on november 2011. It's a little bit a long time ago, but I forgot to write a review...
The service is very nice ! People friendly, the star friends enjoy their work and you can see it !

The food is very good, the guacamole.... soooo gooood !!! I just can't wait go back to taste it again ;) They make a huge paella on the beach, nice experience.

The room was very nice, eventhough we could'nt see the beach because of the three... that's nature, it's better not to destroy nature...

The pool is very nice and clean.

I think I'll go back there once again !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Lindo for your stay in Mexico.

We look forward to seeing you at our hotel very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!