“Wonderful resort!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a five-day stay at the Maya and we loved it! We were there for a wedding without our kids but decided to stay at the Maya (instead of the adult-only Grand) so that we could scope it out in case we ever did return with our kids. Our room was in block 63, which was less than a 5 minute walk to the pool and lobby, and less than 10 minutes to the beach. From the minute we arrived, the staff was very accommodating. We were driven by golf cart to our room, which included an impromptu tour of the grounds by Freddie, one of the bell hops. There is a concierge for every block of rooms who can take care of dinner reservations and answer any questions about the hotel, entertainment, etc. The grounds were immaculate. I was especially impressed with how clean the common area restrooms were! I definitely didn't expect the restrooms near the pool area to be as clean as they were! Rooms were beautiful and we had more than enough space. We had dinner at the steak house, the Japanese restaurant and the French restaurant. All had very good food. We ate most of our breakfasts and lunches at the poolside buffet, the buffet at Lindo, or the seafood restaurant (buffet and a la carte at breakfast). Lindo and seafood buffets had a bit more to offer and a nicer atmosphere. Their burgers left much to be desired, and room service menu wasn't extensive, but enough for a midnight snack. Room service is available 24 hiurs, but expect to wait at least 30-45 minutes. The beach was beautiful, and also offered bars and snack areas. You could also take advantage of free kayaking and mini catamaran. Jet ski rental was also available for $65/hr. The shopping plaza across the street offered enough shops for me to buy a few souvenirs for our kids. There was also a great little taco place there and a crepe and ice cream shop (also part of all-inclusive). My biggest treat was the spa which was also at the shopping plaza. If you are a guest of the Maya or the Grand, you can use some of the spa facilities at no cost (adults only). This included a "wet" area that had a sauna, steam room, hot tub, Roman baths, and jetted massage beds. There is also a salt water pool that has various massaging jetted areas. Other spa services and salon are offered for an extra charge. A bit pricey (I did a 50-min massage plus 30-min body scrub for $150), but a great experience. Definitely take advantage of the free use of the wet areas! Wi-fi available in the lobby, but I think you could also get it in your room for $15/day. The shows at the Lindo theater were typical "cruiseship" type shows, but kept us entertained. We did go to the Galaxy nightclub for a couple of hours. Star Wars theme which was a bit cheesy, but it was a very nice club...it was good people watching for us! My only "con" about this resort is how big it is, which might be tough if you are traveling with a group of people. I would suggest either bringing some sort of walkie-talkie or getting an international texting plan during your stay. It's very hard to get in touch with anyone if you get separated, and you could easily spend a couple of hours just looking for them! Overall, we had a fabulous stay and will definitely be bringing our kids back with us next time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank njmom75
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay at Iberostar. We are grateful for the constructive comment as they motivate us to continue the hard work.

It gives us a great deal of satisfaction to hear that you have had an good holiday and enjoyed several aspects of our resorts offerings including our, food, rooms, entertainment and most importantly, our friendly staff.
We look forward to see you again at our resort.
Best regards
Quality manager
Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was our first all inclusive experience and we LOVED it here! The grounds were absolutely immaculate and the staff was so friendly. You are first welcomed at check-in with a tasty drink waiting for you and then taken to your room by a very friendly staff member on a golf cart. The food was average and we would not recommend the Mexican restaurant. The steak house was delicious and the french restaurant is lovely for a romantic night out. The beach was so clean and you are very well taken care of by waitresses on the beach as well. The grounds were beautiful and we took advantage of them everynight by walking back to our room after the nightly entertainment. Our only information of this hotel was what we read on tripadvisor prior to booking it. To address some of the complaints,our air conditioner worked great in the room and we always had hot water. We would definately recommend this hotel and have already booked our trip this year to go back!

Room Tip: choose a room on the second floor so you get a better view of the beach/ grounds.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank J A
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Guest:

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us as our main goal is making your vacations unforgettable.
Your comments regarding the restaurants, grounds and staff are much appreciated and we are already looking forward to your return trip next year and assure you that it will be our goal to exceed your expectations even further.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

First this review is way overdue, especially since we benefitted so much from Trip Advisors when we were planning so I apologize.

I took my family of 5 (wife, 17, 14 & 12) to the Maya for a week in late August (18-25) and loved it. Although it was extremely hot and humid, expected the hot just did not plan on that high of humidity. So keep that in mind if you are planning around this time.
Went through Liberty travel in Nashua NH and will never use again. Nice lady but did nothing but book the trip. We did all the home work so why give them a commission. Things that they should have tipped us off too we found out on our own, mostly from right here on trip advisors. So don’t bother with travel agent do it on your own. Ditto for Olympus tours, nice lady but all about the sale make no doubt about that. I will review them separately.

Resort itself is beautiful including the rooms and all amenities. Staff is very anxious to please, especially if you tip. Do not bother with getting pesos as they prefer the American $, just get small bills. We started in building 66 next to Kiddy Park and asked to be moved closer to pool and beach due to the ages of our kids. They moved us the second day to building 61 which was great. Close to pool and beach but further from restaurants.
The walking is an issue and we are not a lazy family, quite the contrary. But when the humidity is 100% and you are dressed for dinner it can be a little uncomfortable.

We all loved the pool and beach. As for the whole towel thing, it is true, big pain in the neck and I think it is ridiculous that chairs go unused all day because someone put there towel down ‘in case’ they want to us the chair later. I am totally against this but after the 3rd day of BS I said hey what am I going to do fight it? It isn’t going to change, so we jumped in the game and glad we did!!! Had to get up early but ‘we were in the front row’ (Bob Yuker) at both pool and beach for the rest of the week! One thing we found late in the week was the health drink bar at the wave pool. The bartenders had trays of fresh fruit and would make you up anything you want or choose from their drink menu. Really wish we had found that earlier and you could add booze if you chose too.

Truth be told…food and drinks are fair but there are plenty of both. Steak House, Gourmet and Japanese steak house were the best. Stayed away from Mexican due to recommendations of others and Seafood place was ok at best. Breakfast for us was worth going to sit down restaurant (Seafood Place).

All in all very nice resort, if I went back I would try the Lindo. I liked their common area with the fountains and all. This is a great place for a family photo. You can get a drink sit outside, have a nice hand rolled cigar and watch people go by before or after dinner. Then it is a short walk to the show at the outdoor pavilion. The shows are fair and under utilized in my opinion. They could really do some nice things with that venue, very nice.

Hope this helps. If you doing research make sure you go to Trip Advisors forums for this hotel, very helpful!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Scott237
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our first trip, and we were so impressed by all the attention that the staff were giving us.From the moment we got there to the last minute before leaving everything was absolutely perfect.The food was really great,always fresh and so many different choices even for the picky eater,there always something you can find.We ve tried 4 restaurants:steak house,meditanerian,the Italian and the japanese and we had very good time and awesome dinner at each of them.The service was more than expected.Of course the main language is spanish but 90% of them are speaking quite fluently in english and even a couple of them tried some words in french and sounded funny,but very appreciated.
The gang of Star friends were doing a very good job without putting any pressure,the were very funny and taking the time to talk to everybody and make sure that you were having good time.Special thanks to Arno and Sandy for the good time.For the night shows don t look for Vegas show but were OK.
If you like to walk it s the place to go cause the resort is so huge I ve used my map for the first two days overthere.There are so much thing to see and pictures to take.And watch out for sleepery floor after rain, saw a couple of persons doing back flip...
Overall this was a great experience and we had great vacation and surely gonna be back and bring to whole familly.Highly recommanded.

Room Tip: We have the room in the block 62,and the room we had was facing the Grand hotel so it was very quiet...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sonia T
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear friends,
On behalf of all the staff and the entire management team at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, thank you very much for choosing to be valued guests of our resort. In addition, we would like to say thank you for dedicating the time to share with other travelers, your honest opinion of your stay with us.
We feel honored to have contributed to making your holiday paradisiacal and are extremely thankful that you expressed your sincere satisfaction with the service from our staff. We will sure pass your comments to Arno and the activities staff, they will be thrilled.
Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you again at our lovely hotel.
Warm regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Let me start out by saying THIS PLACE IS HUGE!!!! If you have a tough time walking a long distance, this is not the place for you! We went on vacation with 10 family members for a 50th wedding anniversary event. The rooms were larger than what we expected, however, some of the furniture was a bit dated. Our hot tub did not work and I was really looking forward to using it. They could not get it working for us either. The air conditioner would shut off each day and the room would get a bit musty smelling by the day's end. The beach is much farther than we expected it to be and unfortunately, we were there the week they got a hurricane! (August 4-11). The beach was not usuable after that since they don't have the equipment to clean the beaches like back in the USA. It's true what they say about the hardness of the beds....my back is still recovering! The cleaning staff was wonderful and thorough! The food was very good at all the restaurants and the selection is great, too. Beause we had so much rain over a few days, everyone was falling on the floors! One woman was injured so bad, they ended up taking her to Cancun for surgery! We found the employees very kind and helpful. Pools are over-crowded and not enough chairs for everyone around the pool. Don't get me wrong, the place is very nice, especially for families. It was not the best vacation that we've had due to the timing of the hurricane.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the locations closer to the beach since the walk is very long if you don't!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sherri P

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the General Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, please allow us to express our genuine gratitude for not only choosing our resort for your caribbean experience, but also for the time you have taken to write a review for Tripadvisor about your opinion of your holiday at our resort. It was our pleasure to have hosted the ten families for such a special occasion as a fiftieth wedding anniversary.
The Paraiso Maya is located in a 5 hotels complex. It is a big place but our guests find the walks very enjoyable throughout our beautiful well maintained gardens.
Regarding your comments about the lack of lounge chairs we would like to highlight that the hotel has enough chairs for all guests. They are placed all over the pool, wave pool, activities pool, beach and private pools around the buildings. Sometimes guests tend to gather at the same spot making some areas as the beach completely crowded.
We are sorry to hear you were with us the week that tropical storm Ernesto passed near the Mayan Riviera. We got some seaweed on our beach but our staff kept cleaning it for days. Unfortunately it was the turtle spawning season, so in order to protect the nests we were not able to use our machines and we did it manually. It took some more days but the turtles were kept safe.
Regarding the beds, please feel free to ask for a bed softener, we have plenty.
We feel extremely proud to understand from your comments that you have had a memorable experience at our hotel and truly appreciate your special mention about our staff. We are certainly aware that it is through their efforts that we are able to achieve our goal of complete guest satisfaction.
We are thankful that you will recommend our hotel to others and are quite confident that you will be staying again at our lovely hotel.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

So we had the pleasure of staying at the Maya Sept 11-15. My husband and 2-year-old daughter traveled with me, my only information on this hotel were the reviews I'd read on Tripadvisor...and to be honest, about 10% of me was concerned because of some of the negative reviews (which sometimes tend to stick).

The room:
It was bigger than I'd expected, we were able to get internet and the rooms were kept clean, there was a DVD player (took bad I didn't bring anywith me), and the cleaning staff did a great job with the room. The first night the A/C went out, it was apparently an outtage out of the hotel's control...so I turned on the fan and went back to sleep, it was fixed over night and the fan got the job done.

Restaurants:
I went to the Marina, the Geisha and the Steakhouse.....all were really good. I feel the food at the hotel, as a whole, had something for every one. There is so much variety, that it is difficult not to find something. I can be a picky eater, I work with a nutritionist and watch my diet constantly, since I was on vacation I was not as strict, but I was still able to eat tasty food and still feel good.

Kids water park/pool:
My daughter is 2 and LOVED the kids water park. The first things out of her mouth in the morning were "water park". The lazy river is just ok, you go around quickly, no big deal. The beach is gorgeous, but we did mostly spend our time by the pool. There are lots of activities also at the main pool, it is so ginormous too, since we were there during 'hurricane' season, we did not deal with the huge crowds and fighting over pool chairs anywhere. But I did hear that the hotel can get booked to the point of it being cumbersome, however, that was not our experience. I don't think this would be the place for me during high season though, that would get on my nerves.

Gym-
I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious the gym was, I expected something much smaller, typically hotels don't pay that much attention to their gyms. But it had a decent set of weights and machines, awesome music too BTW. It definitely got the job done for me.

This hotel is enormous, it is literally like a cruise on land. There is even a medical facility there and a shopping center with a carrusel. You don't have to go anywhere if you don't want (although we did).....yes, the floors can sometimes be slippery, my daughter fell and I told her to quit running! We can't blame the hotel for everything, and it is not the US...if you fall, you have to deal with it.
Yes, it is so huge that you do a lot of walking (you get to walk off all the food and drink).....yes, the shows can be cheesy (this isn't Vegas)......BUT since my last vacation was spent watching rain morning, noon and night in Grand Cayman, I was just thankful that I was at a nice and clean hotel in Mexico, enjoying a fun vacation with my husband and daughter with no rain!!!!

I'd love go to back to this hotel next September, I think I would have a great time again!!!!

Oh-the bed was a bit hard, so I ordered a foam!
And my only disappointment was that buildings there are so tall that you cannot see the ocean unless you walk to it and spend your day there, but that certainly didn't ruin my trip.

All in all, we were VERY impressed with the magnitude of this hotel and what a great job they do! We had a great time and I would definitely go again!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Luisa B
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for not only choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya but also for taking the time to send us your comments on your experience at our resort. We are thankful for your constructive feedback which helps a lot in keep working on our weaknesses and strength.
We are very pleased to hear you enjoy our rooms, restaurants, pool area (including the Aquatic park), gym as well the surroundings. It is true that September for us is a low season, so the hotel is not as busy as the rest of the year, but our goal is to have as many satisfied guests as you no matter the time of the year.

We sincerely hope that we will once again have the pleasure of hosting you at our resort and as such, look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was my fifth trip to this wonderful complex, over the last 3 years. The first three visits were to the sister resort of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo with the fourth being the Maya. These two resorts are 90% similar. As a result, the Maya is worth upgrading but only for a small amount.

When writing a review it’s always important to know a person’s experience and background. Personally, I travel 5-7 times a year to the Caribbean and Mexico (both coasts) usually to 4.5 and 5 star resorts. Higher end chains like Iberostar, RIU, Barceló, Gran Bahia, Melia and Sandals to name a few.

Below are a few comments on all areas of the resort.

ROOM
Even though we spent little time in the room itself, it was wonderful. Rooms are very large with all the comforts of home. Not only was the room and the sitting area large but they were very well decorated and maintained. In addition the bar fridge was full upon arrival and refilled with beverages on a daily basis. It contained a wide selection of beverages.

The room also had a decent size flatscreen tv (dvd player attached) with a decent selection of channels. In addition, we also had a clock radio with a built in cd player.

The room had very large closets, with plenty of hangers and a nice size safe. Closet also contained an umbrella and a iron.

The bathroom was very large with a nice size walk-in shower and a very large tub with a built-in whirlpool.

Towels were plentiful and replaced daily.

Each building has its own concierge desk which is mainly used for booking dinners but they can and will assist you with any questions and concerns.

In addition each building has a unique outdoor lobby that you simply can`t walk through without staring in amazement.

Unlike the Lindo, the Maya has elevators in each building.

LOBBIES/BARS
Perhaps the most famous bar in the Mayan Riviera, the famous snake bar.
This famous bar is inside a replica of the Mayan Pyramid of Kukulkan, the pyramid that`s found at Chichen Itza.

The entire lobby area is nothing short of amazing. It`s basically like walking thru a museum.

In the general area of the bar is a games room, a cigar room, an internet room and plenty of shops.

In addition, the lobby has free Wi-Fi.

BUFFETS
Even the pickiest eater can find something to eat.

The main indoor buffet is in the lobby area of the neighbouring Lindo. The buffet is split into two adjoining seating areas though one side is usually closed during off-season.

In addition to the main buffet, you have the option of the restaurant near the main pool area as well as the outdoor restaurant in the neighbouring Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

À LA CARTES
Even though the buffet would satisfy most people, it`s always nice to be pampered at one of the wonderful a la cartes. Be warned that seating is limited and not all restaurants are opened every night. Several seating’s are available each night.

The Steak House, Japanese and Brazilian were my favourite three restaurants though I really enjoyed all the selections available.

Unlike many resorts you can go every night to one of these specialty restaurants.

Book early at your concierge desk.

POOLS
The complex has a countless number of pools in the 4 resorts that you are allowed to visit and enjoy. All pools are very large with a unique design.

In addition, several pools have a swim up bar. Pool activities usually end around lunch time. This can be very loud so it`s always a good idea to visit the beach in the morning and one of the pools in the afternoon.

Pools are well maintained but are not heated.

Attached to the main Lindo pool is the wave action pool that is mainly for children. A short walk away is the lazy river that is very lazy, suited for younger children.

BEACH
Wow. A large and wide beach with plenty of shade. The water can be very rough with a red flag being the norm depending on season. This trip the water was calmer with a daily yellow flag.

The beach is well maintained with a life guard tower that isn`t always manned.

The water can be very refreshing with few, if any rocks.

In addition to the great sand and water and shade you also have a very convenient beach bar and small bbq area with burgers, fries, tacos, etc.

In this area is also some of the activities including archery. Walk along the beach and you`re quickly in the beach area of the Iberostar Beach and Del Mar which has its own bar and bbq area. Since it has a different selection of food, it`s worth the small walk.

GROUNDS
The grounds are nothing short of amazing. This complex is a combo between a museum and high end beach resort.

It is well maintained. Since this is a very large complex, it`s easy to get lost and confused but it will never be boring.

GYM
The complex has a well-stocked gym for burning off those excessive calories that can easily be consumed throughout the day. In addition, bicycle tours are available to enjoy and become familiar with this large complex.

STAFF
The resort is well staffed with plenty of people throughout. They are very fluent in English and very helpful and friendly.

ENTERTAINMENT
Year over year the entertainment hasn’t changed much but I always thought it was well done with a wide selection of performances. The theater is very large so even during peak season you should find seating.

INTERNET
Free to visitors of the Maya and Lindo resorts. Wi-Fi is in the lobby bar of the Maya. If the wi-fi is a little sluggish there’s a second router in the nearby lobby.

CLIENTELE
Mainly English speaking tourists from Canada and the United States.

SHOPPING
In addition to the shops that are within all lobbies, there is also a shopping complex that is shared by all resorts in this complex. It is across from the Lindo lobby.

In addition to shops, you also have more free food options which includes hamburger, taco and crêpes restaurants. All indoors.

Most nights local vendors will be near the lobbies of the Maya and Lindo.

CONCLUSION
Most people ask two major questions of any resort. Would you recommend it and would you go back. Easy answer is a big YES to both questions.

This is a very large complex and you have access to four resorts, all offer something to do during the day and night. Take advantage of the entire complex and not just your section of the complex.

Room Tip: Building 61, upper floor facing pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
19  Thank James_Burlington

Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel and your loyalty over the years.

On behalf of the Management and Staff we would like to thank you for sharing with other travelers your experience at our property. Your words have been inspiring and motivational and it makes us to continue working hard to exceed our guests expectations. For us It is important to know that you valued; food, accommodation, the grounds, activities and most important of all our staff.

It would be an absolute pleasure to be your hosts for future vacations and therefore we look forward to see you once more at our hotel.
Best regards

7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!