“Beautiful hotel, friendly people”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Hotel grounds are beautiful. The grounds and rooms are kept very clean, which is our primary requirement. The beds are rock hard and were tough on my back, would have liked to see better mattresses. The food was ok, we weren't too impressed, but it was about what we expect from an all inclusive so we weren't surprised (and didn't go for the food). The concierge wasn't always around and almost never answered the guest services button (but I found if you dial zero and tell them they connect you to another line that always answered). Everything else was great. The pool is massive and you can get lost in them (we played hide and seek and it is great for it). The staff have a lot of activities for the kids and they loved it. They have a different show every night. We went to three of them and my kids enjoyed it, that was a nice bonus. The beach was beautiful, it was very windy our week so there were waves, but we enjoyed them. And the water is not very deep so it was great for playing in. We used the free snorkel gear (free an hour a day) to practice in the pool and that was nice and I did scuba diving for the first time after a free try in the hotel pool. It was a great base for all our activities and we definitely recommend the hotel. There is a lot of walking as others say, but the scenery was beautiful and I didn't think it was that much. We actually like the large setting, makes us feel like we our in our own little world.

Room Tip: We were in building 63, which was pretty central to the beach and restaurants/lobby. We would proba...
Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank pedz55
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. It is very encouraging to hear that our service, cleanliness, and dining options had exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit, and will also endeavor to treat you to an even more enjoyable vacation.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We had a fabulous time at this hotel - had researched a lot of hotels and settled on this one. Great for families, especially with younger kids - lazy river, wave pool, water park area, kids club and fun entertainment during the day and night show for the family! Walking was not an issue at all - especially once you learn your way around the hotel - also there are shuttles/trolleys, golf cart rides. Beach was beautiful blue Cancun water - plenty of chairs, didn't experience any issue with seaweed or rocks. Food was plentiful - enjoyed different restaurants - probably wouldn't be good enough for a true foodie, but perfectly good for an all inclusive - no one in our party got sick and we ate and drank everything. Trip to Playa del Carmen is fun and something different as you're isolated on the Iberostar properties - nothing else around. We did a day trip to Tulum and X-Hela - loved X-hela - ziplining, tubing, snorkeling - kids had a great time! Shows at night were also good, much better than expected! Rooms were spacious, plenty of space to put clothes away - a little outdated in terms of decor but no big issue - we had a fabulous time at the Maya -which is basically connected with all the same access to the Lindo.

2  Thank travelingmom-dm

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. It was our great pleasure to have had the opportunity to host you. We recognize that there are a myriad of other properties in Riviera Maya that you could have stayed, but the fact that you chose our property makes us feel that we have a duty to ensure you have a memorable stay. From your review, it is obvious that we were able to do just that. Please come again soon and we invite you to allow us to host you on your next vacation!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Spent five days at Paraiso Beach and yes, there's a lot of walking involved. This could be due to the "low-rise" hotel design..which is fine by us since we needed to burn off all those calories from the all-inclusive eating and drinking.
I found the service to be pretty good. Staff was courteous albeit a few exceptions of indifference by the concierge in our building and the shuttle folks. The restaurant and bar workers are the standouts making the dining experience memorable...specially the people at La Marina (Fabian) and La Geisha (Hooray for the chef Abelardo show).
Our room had a broken/loose bathroom mirror, the jacuzzi tub had it's days (so we didn't use it). Our phone wasn't working but was fixed the next day. Still, I found the room cleaners to do an excellent job of constantly stocking our fridge and leaving a cute animal towel on the bed. I just have a pet peeve of hotels not supplying hair conditioners...specially when it's a beachside hotel.
I also thought it was ridiculous to go out and lay your towels early on to "reserve" your beachside and poolside lounge chairs. I know the Europeans do this a lot in Spain--I have seen the Brits and Germans going at it along the beach hotels of the Costa Del Sol. I just wish they would implement a rule (like the Hawaiian hotels do) that if there's no one at a certain lounge chair for 45 mins., the towel's taken off.
And lastly, The Spa across was great!!! Loved the Wet Rooms (free-all-inclusive).

Room Tip: Didn't need mattress topper as we liked our beds a little firm..still slept like a log from bein...
2  Thank trvlcrzy

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent vacation. We are glad to know you have found a good service overall.
As well, we have taken due note of your negative issues about some details in the room. We will be sure to pass along your remarks to the room division manager so they may look into your concerns. We sincerely wish to once again be given the opportunity to prove to you our dedication to excellent customer service and satisfaction.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I just want to start off by saying we had a fabulous time here!! My family and another family stayed for one week and the weather was fantastic and the property was beautiful..The beach was great, very little seaweed, and the water was just beautiful. We ate at many of the resteraunts, including the Seafood, Italian, Steakhouse and Mexican. All were amazing except the Mexican, which we were very disappointed in...we actually ate there the first night and we were very disappointed...as for the rest they were excellent for an all inclusive..the Lindo buffet by far was the BEST for breakfast, lunch and dinner...food was always outstanding..the people at the resort could not be more helpful...they went out of their way to make you happy..We went on a few excursions that we booked through Olympus Tours right in the lobby, and Milos was outstanding!! We did a snorkeling trip that was by far our most favorite on the trip and also swam with the Dolphins at Dolphin Discovery and the kids had a blast..we also took a trip into Playa del Carmen the last night and had a great meal at Mi Pueblo that was excellent. The lunch on the beach everyday was great, especially the day they cooked a HUGE pan of Paella on the beach...The entertainment staff was above and beyond my expectations...The girls favorite was CARLOS!!! He was the best, always trying to get the kids to join in on the activities and we loved watching him in the shows!!! WE will absolutely be back and recommend this trip to families...

4  Thank Bridget S

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. Your review was motivating to our team of dedicated staff who work tirelessly to ensure our guests’ satisfaction. On behalf of our Management and Staff we would also like to invite you to come again soon as it would be a pleasure to serve you again.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Have stayed at the Lindo twice with our granddaughter loved it ,absolutely beautiful grounds animals great to watch.This year we stayed in the maya just with husband,love the maya bar but it could do with a bit more entertainment in there.I find the beach bar not very comfortable , not my favourite place.The courtyards are lovely all have different architecture,nice to walk around.We usually go in spring so that may make a difference not as hot walking around, but the amount of people complaining about having to walk is hilarious .the grounds are worth walking around and exercise is good for the amount of food eaten.Weare going to the grand next spring I hope we are not disappointed our expectations are fairly high,it is also a very long journey from England and my husband needed a bit of persuading to make the trip again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nana N

Dear Guest:

Thank you for our kind review. We were proud to have been able to play a part in your recent vacation. It was a great privilege to have been your hosts.

It is hoped that you will convince your husband to come back, because we are sure you are going to enjoy so much at the Grand.

Thank you for being part of our big family!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I reviewed this property favorably in 4/2010. This was my family's 3rd trip to the Maya and unfortunately, it will be the last! Although I agree with a number of the comments made by the other travelers on this page and, although we agreed with them previously, this trip was a grave disappointment. We were there 4/17 - 4/24, 2012. The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders were there that week too. I had much correspondence beforehand about the fact that due to recent surgery my husband needed 1st floor and that we had a 1 year old baby - we were put on the 2nd floor (OVER THE CHEERLEADERS DRESSING ROOMS!!!) They would begin makeup/hair etc at about 4:00 AM - music and chairs being dragged over tile floors. There's not enough space here to cover all the other issues we had. I sent a letter with copies of emails to the President of the company in Spain VIA UPS at a cost of over $40 it was so important to me that HE receive it - I have never received the courtesy of a response. :( MAYA!

Room Tip: Don't bother - they don't listen, read emails, respond to emails or seem to care one bit abo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank pkrippendorf

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your concerns in your review. We are always happy to hear from our guests, as comments such as yours help us determine whether or not we are on the right path. To this extent, we were very disappointed to learn that your stay fell below expectations, and even worst, had failed to create the desire to return.
Once the cheerleaders where here, we receive one feedback about the noise the girls were doing in the morning. We asked this group to avoid making noise and we had a person watching over this matter. Next days we spoke with the guests who reported the situaton and they told us that they were not hearing noise anymore. That is why we would have loved to hear from you as the well being of our guests is our top priority and we take action to ensure it.

Regarding the delivery with UPS we invite you to express your concerns first directly with the management of the hotel or send an email to us.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon as it would be an honor to be able to host you and ensure your total satisfaction.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed with family in mid-August.
Facilities:
The layout of the hotel is the lobby at one end, the beach at the opposite side, with the rooms in between.
As it has been mentioned before, the Paraiso complex is very large facility where some decent walking is required. But if one stays out of the scenic routes, meaning the walk and pathways through the buildings it not that bad. One route I always used was the walkway/driveway between the Grand and the Maya. It parallels the hotel almost all the way to the beach without the unnecessary turns and twists found by walking inside the buildings or following the pool.
The outside of the hotel is well-maintained and spotless. The landscape crew does an excellent job considering the lush surroundings. Remarkable is how the architects blended the hotel into the surrounding mangrove instead of chopping it down.
I’ve seen better beaches. It’s not the kind of beach one dwells on years after. It’s just a run- of the -mill tropical beach. Nothing Iberostar can do about it.
Room:
Stayed in building 62, which is more or less in the middle of the hotel. It's approximately 5 minutes to the either to the lobby or the beach.
The room itself was very spacious with a double sink bathroom, Jacuzzi, and a shower enclosed in glass. As other reviewers have noticed, given its design flush with the floor, some water can leak out the shower. I always kept that in mind, and made sure the door rubber seal was as parallel as possible to the frame. Still I got little leaks but a washcloth right in front of the shower was enough to contain it.
Since the rooms are suites, there's a sunk-in small living area with a couch, chair, and desk. A balcony, with a couple of chairs, table, and a hammock completes the scenario.
The A/C worked alright. I could have been cooler but the ceiling fan helped.
Everything in the room worked as expected. TV, safe, lights, doors, etc...Only in one occasion, I had to return to the lobby to get the card key reprogrammed I think it happened because I accidentally stuck it to the wrong room. No the hotels fault.
The cleaning staff made an excellent job. There were always plenty of toiletries and towels. In a couple of occasions we came back to the room to find a doll or a frog figure made with the towels plus a few petals around. Nice detail in particular for my daughter.
Location:
The hotel is approximately 30 minutes from Cancun airport. We successfully cleared the gauntlet outside Customs. Credit must be given to all reviews who warned about the official-looking types vying for ones attention in that area. I know someone who fell for it and time was wasted in a time-share solicitation. Based on those reviews I just kept on going until got to the outside. Then planted my family in one spot and went looking for my transportation without divulging who I was looking for, or the hotel were going to anyone who approached me. Once I spotted my transportation agent, I, verified my name in his list, and after a 10 minutes wait due to congestion, we were in our way to the hotel.
Food and drinks:
As all AI, the quality of liquor depends on the location. In the swim-up bar and beach areas definitively the drinks are watered down. The lobby bar has top shelf liquor and competent bartenders. Of the “house wines”, the white one is manageable. The red one is forgettable.
We used only specialty restaurants for dinner during our stay. The best was the seafood, the less likeable, was ironically the Mexican, which doubles are quick-bite buffet for lunch. The steakhouse was good and Cajun decent. All specialty restaurants have very good pre-meal buffet with good dishes and variety.
We never went to the buffet for lunch. Only used the quick-lunch options by either the pool or beach. Selection was very limited and repetitive but I’m the type who always has lunch in the run. A couple of morsels here and there normally do it.
My particular take is that I don’t go to an AI to splurge in gourmet foods or drinks. I have my places for that. Yet Paraiso Maya provides decent meals that taken with the right frame of mind can be enjoyable. Plus there are plenty of options for someone to go hungry.
Entertainment and Staff:
There are nightly shows in the theatre on the Lindo side. The presentations are from decent to good depending on the theme and one’s particular interests. It’s an open area which gets mighty hot once it gets crowded and the lights start burning.
During the day there are constant activities around the pool and beach areas with the Star Friends. They go around inviting guests to participate. They try to encourage you but if don’t want to participate that’s good enough for them.
Still they are always around to chit chat, spend a few minutes interchanging impressions, or listen to one crazy stories. I would like to remember everyone’s name but Carlos, aka Speedy Gonzalez, Francisco, Andrea, Tracy, Leonardo, Marylyn, are the first ones to come to mind. The time our family spent with those guys were priceless.
The same level of caring was also demonstrated by all of the wait staff in the restaurants and the reception area. Hever in the Mexican is a real asset to Paraiso Maya. Likewise Kristin, Guillermo, and Ricardo, in the lobby/reception area really understand the hospitality industry.
In reality the human component in Paraiso Maya made our vacations memorable and it’s without any doubt the biggest asset this hotel has. They really take this hotel to a different level.

Pros:
Facilities, warmth staff, entertainment.
A tip here or there goes a long way. Yet always received outstanding service without anyone sticking out a hand. In fact, some of the staff was taken aback when handed out a tip. Nevertheless, we always tipped after dinner, occasionally at the bars and the room, and as customary to the bellhops. Did it change the quality of service? Doubtful and that was the most impressive thing about Paraiso Maya. The staff going out their way to pamper us without expecting a tip.
Cons:
Towel game is alive and well. Folks set up one spot by the pool another one by the beach despite signs against it. I overheard a discussion involving a gentleman, a lady, and a hotel employee, about an unoccupied palapa by the beach, which the man was trying to take over. The lady claimed that the spot was already taken by 6AM when she first got hers. Daylight was around 6:30AM. The conversation was going on around 1PM. Simply ridiculous.
The same happens around the pool. One day I just laugh at the fact that I’m sitting on the Lindo side because all the palapas in the Maya half were overran by Lindo’s guests. Talk about being “smart”.
Overall I can see myself returning to the Maya. Compared to other resorts in the Caribbean basin, they are up there regarding facilities and dining but their staff makes it exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank indians_forever
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review.. We are ecstatic to hear that we had exceeded your expectations on your recent stay. Your review highlighted the genuine warmth of our staff and personalized service which are the hallmarks of the Iberostar Paraiso Maya experience. It was an honor to be your hosts for your last vacation. We are already looking forward to the opportunity of serving you again and invite you to come back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!