“mayo iberostar”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 26, 2008

the mayo is very nice the grounds are very big. the room is nice but they never made up the room up untill 3:00 pm every day. Go to room to take a rest and the bed was not made up yet. the food is the worst a hambuger is not a hambuger you do not no what you are eating. the place it self is beautiful but the food sucks I would never go back again

2  Thank kkelsk

Reviewed February 25, 2008

My family has been to the Iberostar Paraiso Maya for three years 2004-2006 for 2 weeks each time and had an absolutely flawless stay each time. The Maya is paradise and is located on an amazing beach and is perfect for families with teens or small children the resort is teeming with kids. The food was phenomenal with many restaurants to choose from.
Over the 3 years we did many off resort excursions and I would highly recommend taking a few snorkelling trips and visiting the nearest town of Playa del Carmen, which is nice at night and has some really good restaurants. Staying at this Iberostar has started a huge trend for my entire family, these resorts are really worth it. Not only did we all enjoy it enough to go for three years in a row, I am to this day still friends with people I have met there.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank CanadianBaby
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I found this site very useful when researching where to go for our vacation so I thought I should write this review to assist others in making their plans. We spent Feb 13-20 at the Maya (my wife, me and out two sons, ages 4 and 7). We all had an awesome time. For comparison sake, we've stayed at Beaches and FDR Pebbles in Jamaica previously. I've also been to Hedonism II in Jamaica (obviously not a family resort, but it is all inclusive). The property at the Maya (and the adjoining Iberostar properties) are really beautiful, and its close to the airport (about 30-35 minutes, a big plus over Negril). The room was great, the best by far of the all inclusives I've seen. The king bed was still uncomfortably hard, as they were at the other family resorts I've been to, but everything else about the room was great; super clean and very nice and spacious enough for our two kids to sleep in the living room area (pullout and a rollaway which was actually probably the most comfortable of the 3 beds). We were in building 61 in a Superior Suite (I'm not sure how different it was from a normal suite; maybe slightly bigger). It was close to the beach and the pool where the bar is, but far from the lobby where most of the restaurants are. Its definitely a big place so you have to walk a lot, but it wasn't so far that we ever had a problem; we actually enjoyed the walking. We only had a cart pick us up one time and that was to take us to dinner at the Brazilian because it was two hotels over and we didn't think the kids could walk it in time. The staff was all great. We had friendly and helpful service throughout. Very efficient, much more so than in Jamaica, even though we loved our trips there as well. We tried to tip the bartenders, waiters, bellhops, etc. each time and we left a couple of dollars a day for the maids (they did an amazing job always giving us extra water and towels as we asked). We also tipped the kids club counselors $20 each. In all, we tipped about $240 for the week. We noticed some people tipping well and others not at all. However, I did not notice those not tipping getting any worse service (as some have complained on this site). The one towel card per person is annoying; I sort of understand why they do it, but when paying this much for a vacation, they could at least give you two towels per person. We kept all valuables locked in the safe when we didn't have them with us. We never had a problem getting chairs by the pool or ocean, although what some people may consider "premium" locations did go pretty early (people reserve by putting a towel and book down, just like every resort I've been to). No pool "beds" at the Maya/Lindo, even though they have them at the Beach/Mar properties (we walked over there one day to check it out). Much of those lower priced properties looked as nice or nicer than the Maya/Lindo, but I suspect the rooms are smaller and not nearly as new and nice.

I was nervous about the food after reading many of the reviews. We did have one really bad dinner at the buffet at the Lindo, but other than that the food was average to very good (nothing was gourmet spectacular, but what do you expect at an all inclusive resort for under $8,000 for a week's stay for a family of 4?). For dinner, the Cajun restaurant was actually very good. The French was not very good and I wouldn't recommend it. Japanese was fair. Mexican restaurant had some decent food at the salad/app bar, but the entrees weren't very good. The Brazilian was above average. We didn't try the steak house or seafood restaurants. On the other hand, the buffet near the theater at the Lindo were really great (at night I think they are the Italian and Chinese restaurants, neither of which did we try for dinner). There was a huge selection of food for breakfast and lunch and a lot of it was really good. We were disappointed overall with the fish and seafood; not much of it tasted fresh, but we tried it each day and occassionally had a good piece. Also, we thought the shopping area with the ice cream/crepe place, burger joint, taco shop and tapas place was great. We didn't try the tapas, but we had ice cream almost every night (very good), tried the burgers (decent, much better than the ones at the beach) and tacos (pretty good; better than at the buffet dinner). Overall, the food at Beaches was maybe a little better for dinner (fresh fish and good seafood) but breakfast and lunch were better here and there were lots of choices for dinner. There was a carousel that was on at night for the kids and the disco was also there (as well as the spa and a bunch of stores). There was usually live music in the early evening in the outdoor area in the center. All the food was part of the all inclusive. A really nice touch to an all inclusive resort. There's also an ice cream place above the pool bar during the day which our kids loved. The beach grill was pretty bad (Jamaica definitely does beach grills much better with great burgers and jerk chicken). We never once had a problem getting a reservation for dinner; our concierge was always great. Language was never a problem (I'm not sure why some have complained about the staff not speaking English). Only some of the maintenance staff, cooks, etc. didn't speak English; all of the waiters, concierges, etc. spoke perfectly good English.

The beach was great. There were some rocks (more like boulders) in the water in the swimming area, so I do suggest wearing sandals, but it was otherwise really nice. The pools were great. The water is a little cold, but not so cold that we stayed out of the water. The kids loved the wave pool. The lazy river was a big disappointment (it barely moved so we had to push our way along); the one at Beaches was a million times better. The Kids Club was great; at least, our kids loved it and had a great time each day there and then doing the kids show at 8pm most nights with the counselors.

I do not understand why people complain about the lack of selection for alcohol. Yes, the pool bar does not stock premium brands, but just about every other bar we ordered from did (the lobby bars, most of the bars in the restaurants, etc.). They didn't have Grey Goose, or super premium tequilas, but they did have Absolut, Jose Cuervo, Don Julio, Jack Daniels, Tanqueray, etc. We were able to do just fine. Also, it is true that they only serve Dos Equis on tap; no other beers, but I like XX so it was fine with me.

We enjoyed the tennis courts; although the pro didn't show up 3 of the 6 days we went out there. The spa was very nice, but we didn't use any of the services there (just spent an hour or so in the pool there and a little while in the sauna, jacuzzi, etc. in the locker rooms), so I can't comment on the quality of the services. The shows at night were definitely cheesy and not great, but some of it was mildly entertaining and I've yet to see really good shows at a resort. If they added a video game room, my kids would have been in heaven, but even without it, they didn't complain once about not watching tv (they watched Cartoon Network in the room for about 30 minutes each day as we got ready for dinner) or playing video games. We got a babysitter 3 of the nights so we could go to dinner without the kids and have a few drinks. Lily was great (she was also our concierge for the first few days we were there).

Overall, we loved our stay and would like to go back with friends. We'll probably try the Club Med in Punta Cana first as we've heard from a couple of people that its a little nicer. Bottom line, if you enjoy all inclusives and want to take your family, this is a great place to go. If you want 4-5 star room, amenities and food, stay at a Four Seasons, Ritz, etc. someplace else and spend double the money.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank MB1969Traveler
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We booked the iberostar lindo, but when we arrived I asked for an upgrade and was upgrade to the maya! gave the gentleman a $ 20 dollar bill, the room was great, the cleaning person was great. gave$10 to start $2 dollars every day, I cant say enough about clean the grounds and beach are. The rave i have for this place is the service, it just does not get any better than this. the food was very good. We just got back from the palladium colonial because we thought we would try somewhere new!!! well that was a mistake. although we did like that one pool and the beach bar and grill stayed open until midnight, but that cant make up for the lack of service we received! ibeostar made us feel like king and queen. a special shout out to Fredrico at the beach bar " we so missed you soooo much" we hope to be at iberostar again in September of this year!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mexicoluvur
Reviewed February 18, 2008

My husband and I just returned yesterday (Feb. 17) from a 7 day stay at the Iberostar Maya. This was our 2nd time at the resort (stayed at the Lindo 2 times previously).

We selected the Maya over the Lindo this time because we enjoyed the private pool area allocated to Maya guests in each of the resort buildings, the 2 extra restaurants choices and use of the spa facilities (treatments extra).

As with previous visits our room was ready for us & check-in took less than 10 minutes.

The resort seemed to be at about half capacity - seemed at times more staff than guests. Saw hardly any lounge chairs being reserved with towels on them. (We must have timed it right - night before we left there were a huge number of guests checking in.)

Food & Drink: We had no problems (!) with the lobster & phesant salad, asparagus & truffle soup, steak and lobster tail entree with champagne to drink for dinner at L'Etoile restrauant. Also enjoyed the seafood and Mexican restaurants. For lunches we mostly skipped the buffets and went for lighter fare: tacos, tappas bar or a hamburger (all at the plaza across from the Lindo). Note: Several people we spoke to did not realize that the food here is part of the package - they thought you had to pay.
We are not really drinkers, but every mixed drink I received was really topped up with alcohol - to the point were I could not drink it sometimes or needed extra mix. Mostly drank coffee, expressos, fruit shakes and pop.

Pools/Beach: We spent our mornings at the beach & afternoons at the private pool. The ocean was a little cool when you first went in but after that very comfortable. There also seemed to be a lot less rocks than in previous years. The pools are beautiful, temperature a little cool at first (but then it is "winter" in Mexico). Also enjoyed the wave pool.

Tipping: Just our personal thoughts: Although the resort is all inclusive, good service is good service and deserves a gratuity. Especially if you are a larger group and are running the waiter off his feet with your requests and making a mess. The staff is not earning the kind of salaries we are and really depend on our tips to get by. We tipped at breakfast, lunch and dinner ($5-10); plus maid & barman and conceirge.

Spa: On the one day it rained we both went for massages - really nice - had the clay massage, my husband had the relaxing massage. Guests at Maya can use the indoor pools, showers and heated lounge chairs at no extra charge.

Grand Hotel: Booked a tour of the resort through our conceirge. The second thing we noticed, after the amazing design, layout, pools and views of the resort, was the quiet and peacefulness - adult only. There are two check-ins here - regular one and the one in your room where they assign you your butler for the week. It was explained to us that this staff member will take care of your every need - pick up beach towels (no limit); book your diners; obtains reading materials (free), locate your favorite brand of beverage, etc. We've decided to "graduate" and book this hotel next year.

Misc.: There is now a bank machine onsite. It located in the shopping plaza - very handy.

If you are hesitating about booking the Maya or Lindo - you can't go wrong - the resorts are beautifully laid out and maintained, food is good and there are amazing day trips available (Xcaret, Tulum, Coba, Xel-ha, etc.) if you choose to explore the area.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2008
15  Thank PatriciaWB
Reviewed February 14, 2008

My husband and I wanted to plan a wedding on the beach and explored several other resorts before picking the Iberostar. Overall the trip was fantastic. We had 40 guests stay at this resort and everyone had a wonderful time. Here is an outline of our trip.

Location: The resort is 35 minutes from the Cancun airport and a 30 minute cab ride into Playa Del Carmen. This is the sister resort of the Paraiso Lindo so the two share the same amenities. The campus of these two resorts is quit large but because of all this space we never felt crowded and were always able to find an isolated spot at one of their many pools. We do not have younger children but for those traveling in our party they really enjoyed the waive pool. The beach was also well taken care of and compared to where we honeymooned, the beach was much larger and well manicured. Because it is a private resort we also enjoyed not being swarmed by the constant vendors trying to sell trinkets while we were relaxing.

Food: For an all inclusive these reports really give a lot of selection. They feature several different themed restaurants so the food never got redundant. There was such a great selection at each restaurant they offered something for everyone. We really enjoyed the shrimp tacos in the shopping plaza and went back more than once.

Wedding:
We chose to get married on the beach as opposed the church chapel. The nice thing about the resort is they only have one wedding a day so you are not having to coordinate around another wedding. Our only complaint was they allow resort guests to place their sun bathing chairs right next to the area where they set up chairs for the ceremony. Watch out for the “Cousin Eddies” who have been sipping coladas on the beach all day who become picture happy. One lady was trying to get the attention of the wedding party as we were preparing to walk down the isle and kept trying to take our picture. It would have been nice if the resort moved the chairs 10-20 feet away to allow a bit more privacy.

We then had a cocktail hour at the bar near the waive pool. We chose to have the mariachi band play during this time and all our guests raved about how the entertainment was perfect and enhanced the atmosphere. Everyone enjoyed the hors d’oeuvres as well. The resort did an excellent job making this an unforgettable ocasssion. We worked with the wedding coordinator Araceilla and she was great!!! Two months prior to the wedding date they emailed us to choose our flowers and the restaurant you wish to dine at. We chose the steak house and they did a good job setting up & transferring the floral arrangements from the beach to the dinner tables & then to the reception. We were nervous about the quality of the dinner but the food was fantastic.

I was also extremely impressed with the girls in the salon. Depending on the wedding package you select, some include a trial hair style as well as style the day of the wedding. Again I was nervous about how this would come out but the resort far exceeded my expectations. Not only was our wedding relaxing and fun for us but all our guests as well.

• Stayed: October 2007
7  Thank ColoradoSunNfun
Reviewed February 14, 2008

This is somewhat of a late review. We went to Maya with our 1.5 year old in December of 2006. The resort is awesome. It literally has everything you can think of. We thought the food was great, even baby liked it and we never had any issues--he had yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast, soop for lunch and chicken/fish with mashed potatoes for dinner. The room was great --very spacious+jacuzzi bath tub--you can't beat this!!!! We've stayed in bldg 62, top floor, facing swimming pool--loooooved that location: not too noisy, and close to both beach and lobby. It rained most of the time we were there, but there was so much to do it was not a problem:we played billiard, took rides in their shuttle-train, enjoyed crepes at their shopping plaza, went to Playa--it was awesome!!!! I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!