“Been there twice -overall a great resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Massachusetts
“Been there twice -overall a great resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Let me first say that overall, we absolutely love the Iberostar Resorts as a whole. I have yet to have a bad experience with their employees and their grounds are absolutely beautiful.
I rely on Trip Advisor reviews for all of my travel so I wanted to make sure I extended the favor to others.

I surprised my husband with a ten day trip down to Mexico and picked this hotel because I had stayed there back in 2004 (right around the time it first opened). Two of our friends joined us on the trip which really made it a blast. We traveled during the second week in September, one of the resort's most quiet weeks of the year and therefore got a superb rate. For what we paid, we could not have asked for more.

Location: Paraiso del Mar is about thirty minutes from the airport which means it is far enough away from the general craziness of Cancun without feeling like it takes forever to get there. It is also a very easy drive from Playa del Carmen for the shopping and other touristy adventures.

Staff: I do not have any complaints about the staff at Iberostar although I will say that the front desk is the least friendly. The presence of the managers and maintenance personnel is abundant. I promise that you cannot go more than five minutes sitting by the pool or on your patio without seeing an employee walk by. They are constantly cleaning, entertaining, or answering questions. Whether you are lounging by the pool, standing at the bar, or enjoying your dinner - if there is an empty glass or plate you better believe it will be taken care of within seconds! This is one reason we always tipped the waitstaff and bartenders. George is the best bartender there (he works at the swim-up bar). He is funny and always seems to be smiling - in fact I specifically remembered him from my first trip back in 2004 when he worked at the main lobby airport. We tipped him at the end of the trip because we were at that bar frequently! The star friends are GREAT! It is their job to get everyone involved and keep them entertained which they certainly do. Through there poolside games our beach activities we were able to meet many other people which made the vacation that much better. These guys are super hard workers and are literally always smiling or cracking jokes even though they work ten plus hours a day. We made friends with a few of them and they were able to tell us the ins and outs of what to do and how to shop in Playa del Carmen.

Rooms: When I stayed here back in 2004 everything was brand new and while it certainly is not brand new anymore it is still maintained very well. The beds are firm but still comfortable enough. There is ample closet/drawer space and there is an in room safe. The TV is old - but seriously who goes to Mexico to watch telemundo?! We had a room with a walk in double shower, water was always hot with great water pressure. Every room has a patio and this is a nice place to hang out while you are getting ready to go to dinner because you will see some beautiful animals. One word of caution: the tile floor in the rooms and hallways get VERY slippery. Be careful when you are coming back from the beach/pool or getting out of the shower.

Pool: This is where I saw most of the aging on the property. Their pool is huge, one side (by the waterfall/jacuzzi) stayed pretty much empty the entire time we were there. I would venture to guess that a pool this big is great during school vacation so that it doesn't get overcrowded but as I said, we were there at an off season. While the pool was always clean it is starting to show its age and wear around the jacuzzi areas and built in loungers. The pool bar was great fun - and right next to it is where most of the daily games are held. I'm sure I noticed the wear and tear a bit more than others because Iw was comparing it to the year they opened. The cabanas could use more comfortable cushions but were plentiful and easy to acquire.

Beach: We honestly did not spend a ton of time at the beach as it was pretty windy most of the time we were there and I am pretty sure there was a Red flag for seven of the ten days. But the beach area is very nice with its hammocks, lounge chairs, volleyball areas, etc. You will also meet people staying at the other Iberostar resorts in the complex (except the Grand who has a private beach). They also have daily activities at the beach - but be wary of the wandering salesmen who will come up with cigars, rugs, jewelry or anything else they can get you to buy!

Food: This is the area of the resort that needs the most improvement, in my opinion. The buffets were actually better than most of the "specialty" restaurants that you would have to make a reservation at. The Brazilian place was virtually inedible for me. We did enjoy Mediterranean and our favorite by far was Japanese. The Mexican restaurant basically mimicked the buffet (gee, wonder why) with the exception that your waiter will bring a cart of tequila to your table and get you to take a few shots. So, while the food is generally good we would chose to stick with the buffet.

Entertainment: Okay, so the shows were corny just like at every other resort but also slightly hysterical on most nights and the star friends do a good job of keeping you involved.

One last thing regarding the layout of the hotel. We had absolutely NO problem walking to get to dinner, shops, etc. On vacation we eat a lot and enjoyed the extra bit of exercise and honestly it is not that much walking! If you are concerned about this - ask for a room closer to the lobby. I find it interesting that people complain about a leisurely stroll on a nice warm evening - but understand that for some people it is more difficult. I will also say that if you are staying there in July you would not want to spend too much time walking just because of the humidity alone! They do have a trolley which runs more frequently in the summer months. Also, you can call down to the lobby and tell them you need to have a trolley at the stop and they will always accomodate you.

I hope this lengthy review helps make your decision. If you are looking for a five star resort across the board look at one of their more expensive hotels. With Iberostar Resorts you will get what you pay for which is why they have different price points. If you can't already tell - I will always look for an Iberostar Resort when we take our yearly vacation. I honestly feel like you can't go wrong with them. The Paraiso del Mar is going to get you the best bang for your buck out of the complex.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank akitchen756

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for four nights and then we were upgraded to the Lindo for our final three nights. This is an Iberostar campus that has five resorts. The Paraiso Del Mar and Paraiso Beach are sister resorts, as are the Lindo and the Mayan. What this means is that the Del Mar and the Beach share a pool, a theater, and guests of either resort and can eat at the restaurants of the other. The guests of the Lindo and the Mayan share the same privileges, but they can also eat at the restaurants of the Del Mar and the Beach. The Del Mar is the least expensive of the five, then it is the Beach, the Lindo, the Mayan, and finally the Grand Hotel. The Grand Hotel is the most elegant, and is the only one of the resorts that is Adults only.

All of the resorts are extremely well maintained. They are lush, and beautiful. The beach is spectacular. I've read a number of complaints about the amount of walking that is necessary, particularly with the Del Mar and the Beach. I've have to say that they are right. It is a very long way from the beach to the lobby. So either you are closer to the restaurants and the lobby, with a long walk to the beach, or you are close to the beach with a long walk to the lobby. Because of the lay out of the resorts there is no getting around that. It didn't bother us at all, but I can see it being a problem for some people.

I have nothing but praise for the staff. From check in and the bellmen, to the waiters, bartenders, and housekeeping, I thought everyone was accommodating, friendly, and very helpful. I've heard complaints from guests at all-inclusives that couldn't get drinks. That never seemed to be the case here. And there was a good supply of top shelf liquor to choose from.

The entertainment was hit or miss. We saw two very good shows, and two very mediocre shows. The odd thing is that this is run like summer camp. They have the Star Friends. These are staff who run the various events they have everyday. They run the dart tournament, the volleyball tournament, the ping pong tournament, and all these activities. Then at night they are performers in the show. But during two of the shows they had professional dancers who were not Star Friends, and they were terrific. But two of the other shows were primarily the Star Friends, and they were not so good. It really has the feel of camp counselors during the day putting on a show at night. But why, when you have professional entertainers at your disposal do you choose to primarily rely on the camp counselors?

Upgrading from the Del Mar to the Lindo meant we got the perks of the better resort. That means 24 hour room service instead of room service that ends at 11PM. At the Lindo you are allowed to make a reservation at a specialty restaurant for each night of your stay. That is versus the Del Mar which allowed us to make three reservations for the week. The Lindo has a concierge for each building to make your restaurant reservations, and deal with any of your problems. But the primary difference was the food. The food at the Del Mar/Beach ranged from mediocre to awful. I thought the specialty restaurants would be better than the buffet. That was not the case. We ate at the Mexican restaurant, the Steakhouse, and the Italian. Both the Mexican place and the Steakhouse were mediocre. The Italian place was awful. It was very disappointing. For Americans, to understand a comparison, you could get a better meal at any Old Country Buffet than what they served at Del Mar/Beach.

The Lindo was a major improvement as far as the food was concerned. The buffets were much better. They had a much wider selection of food, and everything tasted fresher. The restaurants were better too, although they were still disappointing to a degree. The Steakhouse at the Mayan was the best restaurant we ate at. That was a good meal, but it should be the standard, not the exception.

On the whole I thought the Del Mar is a really gorgeous resort hamstrung by poor food. Despite all the Del Mar has going for it I couldn't recommend it because of the food. If you are considering the Iberostar resorts I would strongly recommend you consider spending the extra money to stay at the Lindo or the Mayan. The extra perks are nice, but the improvement of the food is worth every penny.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BCork
Reston, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I just arrived home from Mexico and my 4 Night/5 Day Stay at the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Hotel located not far from Playa del Carmen. My check-in date was February 10th, 2011 (Room 1228).

My goal with this review is to be fair to prospective guests as well as the managers and owners of this Hotel. Please let me also state that I have a college degree in Hospitality Management with over 25 years of experience in many aspect of the industry. This was also my first stay at a Iberostar property.

This hotel is part of a very large Hotel complex that are all part of the Iberostar company. I believe that these hotels have been built over a 10+/- year time period and they apparently are at a variety of price points. It appears that the Paraiso del Mar may be the lower end property in the compound of very large resort hotels.

The Front Desk, managed by “Olga”, is poorly run. I was part of an 11 person group that checked in on a Thursday afternoon when the lobby and front desk were virtually empty. We had all traveled from early morning from the Washington DC region. There was no reason why it took 20 minutes to check-in 11 people into 9 rooms.

Upon our departure, the experience was similar. It took in excess of 20 minutes to check-out 9 rooms. In fact the Front Desk Clerk named Ramon was so incompetent that he would take people from the back of the line to his area instead of working with the next person in line. This was brought up to Olga and she was not at all concerned about this foolish practice.

The shining stars at the property were the Bell Staff (in particular Raul and Danny). They were very helpful to our group throughout our stay and they were motivated towards doing a good job.

I have stayed at Resorts throughout the world. Iberostar decided to build this resort far differently they any that I have ever experienced. If you do not want to spend a significant amount of your time walking ¼ mile from your room to the main area for dining and activities, do not stay at this resort. The transportation system is completely inadequate and very frustrating for all. If Iberostar wanted to correct this problem, they would need a dispatcher to remain on duty at a designated location on order to turn this around.

The food at the multitude of buffets was surprisingly good in variety, presentation and quality of ingredients. It could be fine tuned some but overall the kitchen staff did a good job. The servers were always friendly and helpful.

There are so called fine dining restaurants that are available on a limited basis through reservations. The reservation system is ineffective and not user friendly. It needs a complete overhaul. During our time we went to the Mexican, Japanese and Mediterranean Restaurants. All 3 were missing the mark on many levels. The staff was courteous however; this was not enough. I believe that the staff does not have a significant understanding of what the end result is supposed to be. The local staff simply does not know how these menu items are intended to look and taste and therefore it is a bit of a joke. Iberostar needs to bring in a caliber of culinary staff that is well versed in International Cuisine.

Housekeeping was inadequate in a few ways. On 2 days there were people in our group that did not receive any washcloths and the rooms with 2 guests that received one wash cloth. The phone systems is outdated and the buttons are not programmed to the departments, the TV’s are old/original and do not have remotes that work correctly.
Overall, this is a real shame. The company built a beautiful property with lovely maintained gardens. There is no doubt in my mind that the management is running this property solely by the numbers. They do not have adequate staff in certain areas, a lack of supplies (washcloths) and they have some really bad policies regarding extra charges. For example, if you would like to use a second towel at the pool, there is a $14/day charge. If you want to do a late check-out is it $10 per hour and the price of Spa treatments are a poor value.

Please keep in mind that whereas we did not expect this to be a high end vacation, we still spent about $180 per night and were all very frustrated by the inadequacies that all relate to the current management team. I would certainly recommend that the managers become far more visible and learn how to interact with the guests. They would learn a great deal about the frustrations that my friends experienced first-hand. We went to a lovely looking resort and could have had a much much finer experience. I therefore could not recommend this property to most people that I know.

Prospective guests are welcome to contact me as well as the Iberostar Company. I am certainly able to go into much further detail about these concerns and the solutions that are well overdue.

David

• Stayed February 2011
5 Thank GoldVa
Saskatoon SK Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

We just returned from 2 wonderful weeks at the Del Mar. This resort is beautiful. The grounds are immaculate. The wildlife is wonderful. I enjoyed the little racoon like animals, they were very entertaining.

The food was excellent at the specialty restaurants and the buffets always had a variety of food which was always good.

The hotel staff was always friendly and entertaining at the pool, beach and night theatre.

Our room was a little bit of a hike to the beach but we didn't mind and if we didn't want to walk anywhere there were always golf carts driving around and would pick you up.

We did spend most of our time at the beach which is beautiful. We did some snorkling and just lazed in the sun with a few margaritas. A perfect holiday.

I would definately go back to this resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheMister17
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

My wife and I went to the del mar for our 20th wedding anniversary - our first time to Mexico and first time in an all inclusive. We were more than happy - to the surroundings, the layout (don't let the walking scare you), the service, the food and general overall beauty was outstanding. The beach area was great with a buffet served everyday, the specialty restaurants were wonderful and the buffets had great selection. We will for sure come back to the del mar and it won't take another 20 years! Try it out - you'll love it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gotboyz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

I travel quite a bit, both business and pleasure, and have stayed at
hundreds of hotels around the globe. I have never written a review
before, but I do feel compelled to do so after our recent stay at this
property. Nothing really dramatic happened, but there were just too
many small things which did not really ruin our vacation, but caused
our disappointment with this hotel, and maybe also with Iberostar
as a whole. We stayed at another Iberostar hotel (Punta Cana)
before and were extremely happy about it.

Onto the main complaint - room cleanliness and maintenance.
The first room in which we stayed had a malfunctioning door entry
system. We were locked out a number of times, and before we got
moved to another room, we had a total of about 4 sets of different
keys. Each time one of us had to walk all the way back to reception
area, which is a 15-20 minute walk (back and forth), as oddly
enough, there are no emergency phones anywhere in the building.
We would be promptly issued a new set of keys, which then worked
for exactly one opening. We were also reprimanded for having a
cell phone or similar device next to the key, which was not the case.
After two days, and several incidents, we asked to get a new room,
and we were moved the next day. Now, I should also point out that
in the old room, it was impossible to control the TV volume, and the
alarm clock did not work. The new room was ok as far as the entry
system, but had also had a number of maintenance issues. The
most annoying one was the foul, sewer-like odor in the bathroom.
Also, the hair dryer was not working, and it was impossible to place
outgoing calls. The minibar, which was supposed to be refilled
every two days, and which was not refilled for three days, was not
keeping the drinks cold either. Our room wasn't cleaned every day
either. We would usually have a 'Do Not Disturb' sign for about two
hours between 1pm and 3 pm. Still, you would expect at least a note
under your door saying an attempt to clean the room was made,
but that would not happen.

The other serious issue with this hotel, in addition to the room
maintenance, was the luggage delivery. I always prefer to carry my
own luggage, but given the distances, that wasn't feasible here.
On our arrival, we had to wait for our luggage for 2 (two!) hours.
On the departure day, we almost missed our transfer back. I
informed reception (again in person, since the phone did not
work) that we would need our luggage out front at such and such
time. But when the van came to pick us up, the luggage wasn't
there and we had to wait for another 25 minutes to get our
suitcases. The van driver was very upset, and (understandably)
threatened to leave as he had other passengers to pick up.
Not the best way to wrap up your stay, arguing with hotel staff,
Apple Vacation representative and worrying about missing your
flight.

We also did not like the fact that you couldn't swim after about
5 pm, and that there seemed to be an army of 'balcony cops' as
we got a number of warnings that our balcony door was open
while we were not in our room, (which was never the case).
We understand both of these as the liability issues, especially
given the size of the property and the number of guests, but still,
this was not exactly our idea of a relaxing beach vacation.

While, due to a number of incidents above, and some other
minor ones I'll skip, I wouldn't exactly recommend this hotel, I
don't want to be completely unfair and would like to list a number
of positives:

Each and every time we reported an issue, the staff was very
friendly and genuinely tried to help. The end result often wasn't
there (for example our repeated problems with the key), but we
appreciated their willingness to help. Also, the location is really
nice, and the beach, as well as the pool and other common
areas were kept immaculately clean. The food was very
satisfactory, and all the restaurants and food areas were also
kept extremely clean.

But again, this is a hotel, and even though it was an All Inclusive
property, with other aspects, like food and location being pretty
satisfactory, one does expect much more from a five star property
when it comes to room maintenance and cleanliness.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FormerIberostarFan
ILLINOIS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

This was our 2nd time to this resort and again found it to be everything we look for in an all inclusive vacation-- Very Friendly, Clean, and top Shelf drinks with good food !
We would not hesitate to go again and/or refer someone else there :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 20,375 reviews

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!