“The "Star Friends" were amazing!!!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Monkton, MD
“The "Star Friends" were amazing!!!”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Just returned from a ten day stay at the Iberostar. I can't say enough about this place. From front desk upon arrival to the bellhop at departure, the staff was off the charts. The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. The resort is long and narrow, and depending on where you are situated, the walk can be long. But being on vacation, a casual stroll was nice. We did four specialty restaurants, and they all were very good. The buffet was adequate. There was never a time where we couldn't find something that we liked. The pool was cold at the beginning of the week, but tolerable. By the end of the week, after as few hot days and warm nights, the pool temperature was very nice. they had two theme gatherings at the beach at lunchtime during our stay which were very nice and very entertaining. We participated in most activities, which were very well organized. The Star Friends did such a great job keeping eveyone who was willing to participate entertained. The nightly shows (we did three) were fun, with great guest participation. A HUGE thank you to all of the Star Friends. It is hard to pick a favorite, but I would have to say that Erica had the most energy and enthusiasm. Also, a big thanks to Lizbeth, Rigo, Luis, Angel, Francesco, Miguel and Franklin. Hats off to our favorite pool bartender Omar, and Lobby bartender Jose. I would not hesitate to return, although we do like to try different resorts.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mykidsinheritance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed here the first week of November. Weather was wonderful and the hotel was as well. We had an oceanview room and loved sitting on the balcony watching the water. So peaceful. The room was great and service was too. Everyone is very friendly. The property is large so there were trolleys to take you from one area to another. Our room was at the very back of the property so we allowed enough time to catch a trolley to go to the front for dinner. The beach was great and different lunch themes were served on the beach. We are going back in May we loved it so much!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Timonium, Maryland
Reviewed February 6, 2011

This was our second trip to this resort and I have to say it was wonderful once again. We had friends with us this time and the four of us all agreed that we would definitely go again. First off, I have to say that the staff is beyond fantastic. The "Star Friends" were so upbeat and fun that we got to know and really love them. Angel, Erica, Rigo, Luis, and Miguel were so full of energy and excitement, it was hard to keep up. They played and laughed and danced morning til night every single day. Their energy and talent kept us going. From the bartenders, to the gardeners to the maids, everyone smiled and said "Hola". I found the food to be very good for an all inclusive, especially in the Japanese and Steak House Restaurants. If you go expecting home-cooking - that's not what you will get - but it is very very good food...and plenty of it. It was very hard to leave on our last day. We exchanged email addresses with many of the staff and guests because we really felt a great connection with them. I just have one thing to say to anyone who wants to go to this resort - if you don't have a good time - it's your own fault. The pool is so huge that if you don't like the noise and excitement, you can walk around the gardens and get into the "quiet pool" and not hear a noise. It's truly a fun place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TomandLois
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 4, 2011

This was the first trip to Mexico for my wife and I and we had a fabulous time. We arrived to the Del Mar at 11 AM and check in was at 3 and they had our room ready by 1. As soon as we stepped off the shuttle we were impressed with the beauty of the lobby and grounds in general. The hotel allows you to start enjoying the all inclusive as soon as you get there so you will want to bring your suit/shorts in your carry on.

The thing that impressed us the most with the hotel are the workers. We were greeted at every turn by smiling faces. They are very hard working and bend over backwards to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

We stayed for 4 nights and were allowed to make 2 reservations, but we went on the waiting list for a third night which was granted. The French restaurant was very good (steak and lobster), the steakhouse was also very good. We tried the Mexican restaurant which was ok, but we have a Taco Bell palate so my OK should be taken with a grain of salt. The buffets and beach grill were also very good; you don't go hungry at this place. There is a mall on site and you can get food there as well.

The room was very clean and the maid adjusted what she stocked in the refrigerator to what we drank the first night. We spent a lot of time in the pool area which was also very clean and very refreshing. The bartenders in the lobby were very good (Jorge and Dimitrio), the pool bartenders were also very good but by the time we left the pool we couldn't remember their names (my bad) and they remembered ours.

Overall we had a great time and plan on returning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Seven Hills, Ohio
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We took a family trip (my husband and I and my mother) at the end of November 2009. I have been meaning to write a review for a while now because we just had such a great time.

Property: We arrived to the airport and from there we were lead to the shuttle that was so conveniently waiting for us. When we arrived at the resort we were blow away by all of the colorful flowers and tile work and all of the animals roaming freely (peacocks, flamingos, parrots, kudamundi, helmeted guinea fowl, etc.).. they were so beautiful (no they did not attack, they kept to themselves). Our room was ready right away. As we were lead to our rooms we couldnt stop but admire the beauty of the landscape and the paths that were filled with flowers/plants. Little paths lead you from the entrance to the rooms, pools, and beach area. It was so romantic. The rooms were cleaned everyday and we never had an issue with anything breaking/not working. Then again we didnt spend much time in the rooms.. why would you when it was so beautiful outside. The property was well maintained. The yards were cleaned up daily the pools were spotless.

Food/Drinks: The buffets were mexican style. My husband absolutely loved it. For dinner we went to the reserved restaurants that we had picked earlier in the week. We had no problems picking the restaurants of our choice. The food was great in all of the restaurants. The lobby bar offered the best quality liquor. Pool bars: I picked a drink that I liked (Bahama Mama) and stuck w/ that the whole time. My husband and mother enjoyed others.

Entertainment: AMAZING staff!!!!! they did all they could to keep everyone happy and entertained throughout the day. There were activities by the main pool at all times and on the beach including a community paella, music, volleyball, pool games, etc.... If you wanted some quite time however, there were pools that were more quite and the beach area had relaxing massages (not included in the price... however well worth the money..Francisco was amazing!) Nightly entertainment was fantastic. We looked forward to the nightly shows after dinner and if that wasnt enough you could always join the staff at the Galaxy night club.

I could write pages of great review for this resort. Overall we had a wonderful time. There was stuff to do without having to leave the resort, and there were areas where you could relax.. Perfect layout of the property!!! Can't say enough about the place and the people. I would go back there anytime!! In fact we are currently planning our next stay here.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank MelaniaB
Pardeeville, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This was our first time at this resort.
Having been to other area hotels over the last 20 years, I will rate this a 7 on a scale of 1-10.
While we were there, I found out the hotel was at 30% occupancy. A far cry from the usual 90% plus.
Food in the buffet was better than average, with a large selection for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Al a Carte restuarants were about average with none outstanding in their field.
Beach bar grilled food was great. Both burgers & hot dogs were available every day.
Entertainment was a bit better than normal.
Rooms were typical Mexican room.
Drinks were good, a lot of top shelf liquor.
Would I go back?
Yes, but only if the other places I know were more money.
If you are a first-timer, this is an excellent choice.
For the rest of us, it's simply a "good" resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Don J
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This was my 15th time in Mexico, so I do have previous guidlines to go by.
We happened to arrive earlier than planned to the hotel, so our rooms were not yet ready, but they did the best they could to get us our rooms on time. We requested rooms closer to the beach, which is why they did not have an open room for us right on the spot. We had booked two rooms, and one was ready within 15 mins, so we dropped our stuff off there and ventured around the hotel until the 2nd room was ready, which unfortunately took an hour, but fortunately, it's a big hotel and there was alot of exploring to do.
In my room, the button to switch to the shower head wasn't working properly, and we called maintenance, and they came within half an hour and helped us fix it, and after that it worked fine.
The maids did an excellent job cleaning, and I did not find anything left dirty (granted we left a small tip everyday- everyone should!)
Dinner was also good at the buffet, but sometimes the waiters took a while with the drink orders. The restaurants with reservations we also went to. This year we went to Steakhouse, Brazilian, and Italian. The Steakhouse and Brazilian were pretty much the same, but still good. Italian was also good, but appeared to be more French! Nonetheless, the service was good, and if you asked for anything, someone was always willing to help.
Our room was a decent size, bathroom was also a good size for a regular room. We were on the first floor, which we also requested because there are no elevators in our building apparently? One thing that I didn't like (not because I'd be lazy, but for luggage and carrying things).
The staff for entertainment was always found around the pool and the beach during the day, and then performances at night, and then afterwards some came to the club, Galaxy. The entertainers were always helpful and made sure everyone was happy, and encouraged everyone to join in on activities but were never too pushy if you said no. The atmosphere was always happy and music was constantly playing. I saw the kids club walking around with their kids, and it was nice to see they didnt keep the kids locked up in a hut just coloring. One of the days, 6 of us (not all of us came together), decided to just play pool volleyball, so the staff easily gave us a beach ball to play with in the pool, and we ended up near the pool bar playing for 3 hours straight! It was a great time.
Location of the hotel was also good. We went shopping at Playa del Carmen one day, and it was only about a 15-20 minute drive. Same with the airport- about 30 minutes to get to (and we have gone to hotels 2 hours away).
There are trolleys and golf carts to drive people going around, which I would recommend people to walk anyways, but it was nice for elders or people who cannot easily walk.
The Club Galaxy was far away from the hotel rooms - which I consider great so music isn't bumping into rooms with children and elders. I stayed out til 4-5 am every night, and woke up around 10 am every morning, and I did not feel tired at all! The club is all about how many people are there and who you're with, but I had a great time with my group and people we met our age (20-25 years old). I actually got to know the DJ, and usually if you request a song he would play it, and played great songs to dance to, as well as switching up genres and years throughout those genres for everyone.
The club is located in a shopping plaza and spa, which is rather an expensive spa, I skipped it. But the shopping center is nice, and I bought an amazing ring at the jewelry store which they resized for free. Great service.
The beach could have been a little bigger for the swimming area, but they also offer parasailing, banana boating, snorkeling, etc, in a separate area on the beach.
I worked out at the fitness center, as well. It was the typical all-inclusive center, with cardio, weights and a stretching area. Had a water cooler and cups, which was nice, as well as towels, which was great. There was a bathroom, jacuzzi, and sauna, which were all clean and nice. It would only be better if they werent separated men and women in the saunas/jacuzzis, because one night all of us wanted to go into the jacuzzi together. There is also a basketball/tennis court, and golf course.
Overall, there were minimal problems with the hotel and I can tell they redid the way their staff operates...but all the small details were overshadowed by the fun atmosphere the hotel had overall.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!