“Great resort, Great price, Great location, Great vacation!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Great resort, Great price, Great location, Great vacation!”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I chose the Iberostar Del Mar based on recommendation from Apple Vacations. This was my first time to the Riviera Maya and to any Iberostar resort. In short, I would recommend and consider another Iberostar for a future vacation, as well as Riviera Maya (although Playa del Carmen and Cancun would be top 1 and 2 choices over Riviera Maya for the next go-round.) I met several friendly staff, visitors and had a 7 out of 10 level experience.

What I was looking for:
Superior beach access, beach relaxation, all-inclusive, safety/security, mild to moderate level of on-site partying. I went with a travel buddy.

*** PROS: ***
* Very friendly, helpful staff. The Iberostar entertainment staff, dubbed “Star friends” go out of their way to check up on you, invite you to games, performances, and be part of the nightly entertainment.
* There are always activities going on – on the beach as well as the many pools on site – you won't be bored unless you actively seek to avoid all contact with hotel staff. I played beach sand volleyball, danced meringue lessons etc – the variety, frequency and type of activities exceeded my expectations. This easily competes with a ClubMed like experience.
* The people/visitors are friendly = I met several international travelers, and the atmosphere is definitely singles-friendly.
* The beach is beautiful. There is always seating available, whether beach-side or pool-side. Crystal clear bright sand. You have to watch out for some corrals so you don't step on them and get scratched up (like I did, the first night.)
* The 9:45PM nightly shows are average. If nightly cruise ship shows are a 6 and Vegas shows are a 10, this experience was a 3. They make a decent effort to involve the audience. Pina coladas, daiquiris, and other alcohol being proffered by the waitresses walking around at opportune times, helps. It sure was nice being greeted as soon as I walked into the hotel lobby, with a mimosa.
* There were not as many children as I had expected to find, in this family-oriented resort. Someone reported the resort was only 30% full during my stay.
* The grounds are stunningly beautiful, there are cute, harmless anteater/antelope like animals and peahen running around everywhere.
* The grounds are massive – lots of walking – good exercise
* I booked this trip via Apple Vacations – they have their own desk onsite for booking excursions, etc
* Although I did not, I learned that you can take a free Iberostar operated shutte to a neighboring Iberostar in Playa Del Carmen or Cancun, etc.
* I experienced only minor rainy weather – I enjoyed hot, sunny weather 80% of the time, despite having traveled during hurricane season.
* The atmosphere definitely did not prove to be a wild, party scene.
* I met lots of Texans – wearing cowboy hats, Dallas Cowboys fans, etc. The many pools and swim up bars are a lot of fun and there is plenty of socializing and mixing going on to not get bored.
* Daily room service, cute towel animals left by room maids.
* The standard room I booked looked nice and was plenty spacious enough for me (rooming just by myself.)
* The in-room Minibar was always stocked with Dos Equis bottles and soft drinks and water. You must always drink bottled water, the tap water is not potable.
* The voltage is 110v, I plugged in my iphone 4 and it charged up just fine. I used it to take all my pictures.

*** CONS: ***
* I woke up in the middle of the night – one of the 6 nights I was there – and saw a 1.5inch dark cockroach scurry merrily from across the floor to under my bed
* Alarm clock theft must be a problem, b/c the way it was set up – the outlet/plug was built into the wall itself, preventing you from being able to unplug it. I struggled at 2am with a broken alarm on/off switch, and resorted to moving the clock forward by 6 hours to shut the darn alarm off.
* I used the in-room Domitech electronic safe deposit box every day. After 6 nights (the night before my departure) it stopped working, displayed ERROR2 on the screen. After a nerve-wracking 1.5hrs of a 3-man security team in my room trying everything they could to open the box, one man finally succeeded by slamming into the box very hard with his fist and that got it to finally open. Not very comforting…
* The restaurants felt more like 3.5 star than 5 star.
* The restaurant reservation system is antiquidated and artificially rigid. Their policy is to let you reserve up to 2 restaurants (2 nights) based on my 6-night stay. If I stayed longer, I could make more reservations. It took 45mins to make 2 reservations. It took another 20 minutes to make standby waiting list reservations for the other nights (none of them panned out/came through.) The restaurants each had several open seats and it was ridiculous that I couldn’t reserve more than just 2 restaurants. I chose the Italian restaurant (my experience was 1 out of 5) and the Mexican restaurant (I’d rate it 4 out of 5).
* All the alcohol was low to mid shelf liquor, at best. Dos Equis it is, stay thirsty my friends…
* The onsite night club disco was a joke. It was 80% men smoking up a cancer fest every night…
* The resort was mostly couples, I observed/met extremely fewer singles than I initially thought I would.
* The Iberostar del Mar side felt cheaper (less wood paneling, older/cheaper feeling lobby) than the immediately adjacent/connecting Paraiso side.
* I stayed for 6 nights = next time I might opt for 4 nights – that would be plenty

Overall, I would recommend this resort to a friend and would consider staying there again, but I would definitely try a different chain altogether or a different Iberostar.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maximize_me

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The service was GREAT! Waiters and staff were really attentive and took care of you. Plates were cleared and drinks topped off without requesting whether it was in the buffet restaurants or the specialty restaurants. We did the room service once and it was quick but the food was not great. The maids did an AMAZING job cleaning every day however they did not restock the mini fridge with coke as often as we requested. The room was very clean and we always had either fresh flowers or an 'origami' towel on our bed.

The room was very clean and spacious. The sitting area was nice with a couch and chair and a small glass table. The TV was a little small, but not bad. The bed was HUGE but hard as a rock. We were exhausted every day though so it didn't much matter. I loved the bathroom. It was complete tile with a very neutral color. There was plenty of hot water and towels were replenished every day.

The location was perfect! Directly between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. We took the taxi into Playa Del Carmen for a day of shopping and site seeing. The shuttle ran every few hours so the timing was perfect. As far as the actual resort, it was MASSIVE! There was a lot of walking from our room to the pool to the beach to the lobby. I liked it because it gave me a bit of exercise but at times it could be exhausting. The grounds were beautiful. It felt like you were walking through the jungle. We visited the shopping area once and it was nice. Felt like a shopping mall but it was very quiet. There were not many bugs but lots of lizards, peacocks, swans, and these cute furry creatures walking around the grounds. One evening we were out on the beach and saw a TON of baby sea turtles crawling all over!!!

I would love to stay here again, and I would love to check out other Iberostar's all over the world!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dani43
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Having just spent 2 great weeks at this hotel and it was fabulous. This was our 6th time to Cancun/Riviera Maya and this hotel is definitely one worth returning. The villas are nestled around lots of trees so lots of shade when walking around. Hotel services are shared with Paraiso Beach but I prefer Del Mar side. As for Food,,,the food at the buffet was very good, lots of selection to satisfy all tastes. The restaurants are also quite good. Most people rave over the Japanese, yes it's good but the setup is not conducive when dining with young children. We preferred the Brazilian and Mediterranean. I would ignore most bad reviews, Great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Dorina_Diego
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 31, 2010

It amazes me to even see a single negative on this board. I just returned from a 5-Day stay at this resort and this was way more than I could have ever imagined. The Location and grounds are fantastic. Sure there is a lot of walking but it is beautiful. This hotel is part of a string of 4 Iberostar hotels which make the resort even larger. The Del Mar and the Paraiso Beach share everything and I am still puzzled why they have 2 different names. The pool is huge and goes on forever. You can party in the adult pool or find a bit of solstice in another area. Honestly this pool has something for everyone.

The grounds are fantastic. It feels like you are walking though the jungle in some far off land just seconds away from the pool. The Lobby and walkways surrounded by water and fountains is breathtaking. The Flamingos, Swans and peacocks really top it off. There are flower beds everywhere and the occasional mini and large lizards.

The beach is fantastic. There were plenty of chairs and the sand was raked every evening and morning to remove any seaweed. Since the beach expands across 4 resorts there is plenty of beach to find. The water was crystal clear but a little choppy due to an off shore hurricane.

The activities at the resort are plentiful. Snorkeling, Kayaking, Volleyball, Aerobics, Yoga, Archery, Gun Shooting, Bull Riding, Darts, Dancing, Sailing, Wind Surfing and many more that I can't even remember. The staff does a great job in getting people involved who want to be involved and leaving the others alone.

Speaking of the staff....Every single person on the staff did not walk by without a polite Hola! As soon as my meal or drink was finished it was taken away or refreshed. The star friends (activites staff) were great! They would have a meal with you and take some time to get to know you. It was like having a nice friend for a week. The Showtimes were also really quite good as you feel some nights you are in Vegas.

The restaurants were Excellent, however the buffet did have an off night. But nothing too disappointing. There is always food to be found and they had 2 beach parties while we were there. One with Paella and the other with tacos. mmmmmmmm!

My wife did attend the spa which she claimed to be really top notch. I can only go by here word here but she could not stop talking about it.

Iberostar has done a nice job with this resort and has won my vote to go back again. If I could go back tomorrow I would be on a plane. I guarantee you will not go wrong with this resort. Out of all the people we met nobody had anything negative to say. I highly recommend you give this a shot

1 Thank Cyberace
Medford, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2010

The Paraiso del Mar was an excellent resort. The food was great, the staff was friendly, and the atmosphere was wonderful. I would definitely recommend it.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Beautiful Hotel, lobby, pools, rooms, beach. Lots for the kids to do (Scuba lessons free in the pool, pool room, internet cafe, swim up bars).

Staff was friendly and professional. Food, although buffet was terrific. Reservations at one of the 5-6 restaurants (not the buffets) should be done the FIRST night because they fill up fast. They should tell you that when you arrive- My one complaint.

Everything was included except the excursions which were pricey but terrific- repelling, zip line, cave swimming, jet ski/snorkle trip. Exotic animals roam the grounds (flamingos, peacocks, etc.)

THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL WE EVER STAYED AT!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank adamhg72
O'Fallon, MO
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Del Mar and loved it. We could only get away for a long weekend so we couldn't experience everything we wanted. First off, the grounds are absolutely gorgeous. Be prepared to walk - we stayed in the 1800 building which was about half way between the beach & lobby. They do have a shuttle but it's kind of a hit & miss thing. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The small refrigerator is stocked with water, soda and beer. Plenty of hot water and toiletries. The staff goes out of their way to serve. True, the drinks are "better" at the lobby bar, however, Jorge at the swim-up bar can make some "mean" drinks. He took care of us continuously througout our stay. The entertainment staff are just that - entertaining! Lots of pool games, water aerobics and just plain fun. The beach was beautiful also. Yes there are rocks but nothing that you can't manuver around and nothing that stopped us from enjoying the water. I was kind of leary staying here because it doesn't get a lot of great reviews as the other resorts have. We walked to the Grand, and yes it is beautiful. Would I pay the extra dollars for an adult only atmosphere and more deluxe accomodations, absolutely not! To me, the place reminded me of a library. Very quiet and not much going on. But to each his own. We ate at the Mexican restaurant the first night - very good. Since we only stayed 3 nights, we could only get one dinner reservation. Tried stand-by for the other specialty restaurants, but they were filled. Buffet was okay. I'm not a big buffet person, but I could always find something to eat. I definately didn't starve. Another thing that has been brought up are mosquitos. I did bring bug spray as the mosquitos like eating me alive. BUT, I did not need it at all. We walked from the lobby down to the beach one evening through the pathways and no bugs!

3 Thank bhami
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!