“What a great vacation!!!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Me, my husband, 23 yr old daughter and 20 yr old son had a wonderful vacation at the Del Mar. The grounds are beautiful, the beach was great, our room was clean, and the food was good. All of the hotel staff were kind and courteous. We had no trouble getting reservations at 3 of the specialty restaurants. We ate at the Japanese restaurant and the Steakhouse. We went on an excursion and didn't get back in time for our third restaurant reservation. But the buffet was always good.

The pool is huge and clean and if you want a quiet place you can find one and if you want to be where the action is you can be there as well. Lyle took care of us at the one swim up bar. Nice guy. Never had any problem finding a lounge chair at the pool or the beach. The ocean water was pretty and not very many rocks. We ate paella on the beach our last day. Yum!

The "Iberostar Friends" were just great. The entertainment was a lot of fun. Everybody was friendly and helpful. Franklin keeps things lively.

Lots of wildlife around too. Coaties, peacocks, iguanas, frogs, pretty birds, and flamingos.

We went to Playa Del Carmen one evening via the resort shuttle. It was fun and interesting. Ate at a restaurant on the opposite corner from Burger King. Food was really good and the waiter was helpful and very nice.

We did the Tulum Extreme excursion. I am basically a chicken at heart but did the rapelling, ziplining, and snorkeling in the cenote. Joaquin was our guide and he was the best. Tulum is absolutely amazing. Just beautiful.

My daughter and I also did a dolphin excursion where we got to swim with the dolphins. It was so much fun. Again, I was a little afraid but was glad that I had the experience. The trainers were so helpful. I think it was called Dolphin Adventures in Puerto Adventuras.

I would go back to this resort in a New York minute. No complaints at all. Just a beautiful place. We had a great vacation.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank purpleluva
There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar

Reviewed June 30, 2010

This was our family's first trip to Iberostar Parisio Del Mar and everyone had a great time! The resort is beautifully landscaped and the rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff members were always friendly and helpful and the Star Friends worked very hard to make sure everyone had an enjoyable time. The pool was really nice too. Unfortunately, the weather was not good while we were there so we were unable to spend much time on the beach due to the wind and high waves, The beach was very nice and I wish we could have spent more time there. Now for the food, the Japanese and Steakhouse Restaurants were our favorites. The buffet near the pool was great for lunch and the breakfast at the main buffet near the lobby was wonderful. The buffet for dinner did get a little old after a few days but there was a large variety of food to choose from and you could always find something to eat. It is definately not gourmet food. The drinks were a little watered down and the frozen drinks they made all tasted the same no matter what you ordered. All that said, we would definately return, it is a beautiful resort and we all had a great time - just hope next time the weather is a little more cooperative.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenny9090
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The hotel does not entertain any cancellations whatsoever due to weather delays. They charged us the entire 5 day stay even though we informed them regularly of our flight delays. Watch out ebfore you book. US based chain hotels have better policy,

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Familyvacationers_10
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Upon arriving at the resort we were greeted with welcome drinks! There was a group of us and they accommodated us and were able to put us all in the same building on the 1st floor. We needed 6 rooms total. I requested a room with a bathtub and a crib and they accommodated us with both.
First off start with the Pros
• Grounds are gorgeous
• Beach is beautiful
• Pool is beautiful
• Dr. on resort property. That was nice had to make a visit with my infant who got bit by some unknown thing.
• Staff is very friendly and helpful. Make you feel welcome!

Cons
• Rooms are a bit dated, no dresser to put your clothes in
• Everything is spread out, and Resort is HUGE
• Food was not so good. It was edible. My favorite place was the Japanese, it was fresh and hot food! However temperature wise the Japanese was very HOT!!! They need better AC in there. Taco Place in the shopping plaza is AWESOME too!!!
• Drinks are watered down
• Not much seafood while we were there, been at other all inclusive where seafood is on the buffets. Seafood was hard to come by at this resort on the buffets at least.
Being my 5th time to Cancun/Riviera Maya, this was my least favorite resort. Having stayed at the Cancun Palace, Riu, Flamingo, and Grand Bahia Principe Coba. The food and drinks have got to change before I make a return trip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kt1980_98
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This is my 8th time in Riviera Maya section of Mexico. This is the 2nd time at the Del Mar and by far our favorite resort. The building we actually wanted (1400) was being renovated so we ended up in the 1200. Nice change. Close to the pool and beach. The rooms were very clean. The weather cooperated. The beach is the reason I go and it is very clean and the water was perfect. Although I am a beach person, the pool is incredible. It just goes on and on. Just wonderful. The food is good. You must try the Japanese and Steakhouse restaurants. Very good. If you like Italian food, stay away from that restaurant. There is a lot to see and do but this trip was just catching up on relaxing.... We are planning a big birthday bash next June and we will be there again. On Mondays on the beach they have a huge wok and make paella and fresh sangria. Yum.
For the price you can't beat it. Do bring singles as 2.00 per day per person for the maid, busboy or bartenders goes a long way, although they say trips are included in your vacation package. Do bring incest repellent, those little buggers bite. Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2010

June 3rd my Wife and I arrived at the Del Mar. I must say Hotel Lobby is beutiful. Upon check in we were shown a map of the grounds and Clerk asked us which building we would like to stay in. We chose one about half way between beach and Lobby(buliding 34). Beach was great. Pool was great. food at pool and beach was good. Italian restaurant and Japanese restaurant were excellent. Took Cancun Lover's Cruise it was the "Bomb" They fed us steak and Lobster plus we had an open bar with top shelf drinks. I must do for lovers. Temperature was 90 plus degrees everyday no rain.
Rooms were kept clean and mini bar kept full of your favorite drinks. Hamburgers and Fries were excellent for late night munchies.
Ventured out by Taxi to 5th avenue for shopping. Good bargains plus you get a chance to see some of the local neighborhoods. Police had check point set up. They were stopping random cars. Police carry Machine Guns. They look like they have been used too.
I will return I love this resort. I must have drank $1000.00 in Liquor and ate $2000.00 in food. They also have very talented entertainment nightly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lovers52
Reviewed June 6, 2010

My girlfriend and I went for five nights in February. We really enjoyed this resort and would definitely return.

The most striking feature is the grounds. Beautifully landscaped and manicured, tropical flowers and trees, swans and flamingos, a pool that weaves through the resort like a river -- just a pleasure to walk through. The other feature that struck us was the service. Everyone was so polite, nice, and helpful -- the staff truly made it seem like it was their pleasure to serve us.

(As others have noted in their reviews, a small tip goes a long way. These people work so hard and look happy to do it -- why not give a dollar to the person who serves your drinks and clears your table? As others recommended, we took a stack of singles and used them throughout the week. We left a couple of dollars in our room each day along with a note, and we had a fridge full of beer and water each afternoon.)

We really enjoyed the nice wide beach and warm blue water, and were able to find lounges without too much of a problem. Our room was nice as well -- plenty of space, adequate AC, a nice table and sitting area, and a private patio with a couple of chairs.

The food ranged from just OK to very good. Basically it was hit or miss. The meals we enjoyed the best were the breakfasts and lunches in the two dining areas between the beach and the pool. The food there seemed fresher and simpler in preparation (more grilled meats and sauteed veggies, fewer fried foods). I'd recommend eating there when possible. Dinners in the main dining room varied. But the good part is that it's an all-inclusive buffet, so if you don't like what you take, you can always try something else. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and she was always able to find something, but by the end of the stay, she was ready to take a break from carbs. We enjoyed the two restaurants we ate at (Mediterranean and Mexican); I thought the best parts were the appetizer buffets. We also enjoyed the snack bar at the beach when we felt like some not-so-healthy afternoon snacks after a few mojitos.

Speaking of the drinks . . . they are free-flowing and plentiful. After the second day, we decided we liked the mojitos and drank more than our share of these. All of the bars had a full liquor selection, though, so you can get whatever you want. And, if you are worried about your drink being weak, just ask the bartender to make it strong and tip him a dollar . . . trust me, you won't be disappointed.

We only found a couple of negatives. We wanted to use the hot tub under the waterfall at the pool after laying in the sun each day, but for some reason it was always shut off by 4:30 or 5:00. It would have been nice to chill out there for awhile before getting ready for dinner. Also, the evening entertainment varied from cheesy to fun; definitely worth checking out a couple of times, but not every night (though we were consistently impressed by the production value). The nightclub was really cheesy and bizarre -- what's with the Star Wars theme? -- and not very full. It seemed most people disappeared back to their rooms after dinner or the evening entertainment. We certainly weren't looking to stay out all night, but it would have been nice to have a place where people were gathering and hanging out at night.

Overall, the positives far outweighed the negatives, and we would definitely return to the Paraiso del Mar. While I'm sure some of the more expensive resorts may offer more, we found everything we were looking for here.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!