New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

Paradise. I wanted sand and sun and found both all week long. I travelled alone and the property was perfect because I didn't have to leave for anything unless I wanted to. I enjoyed the shopping plaza and the beautifully landscaped grounds. I liked the opportunity to walk the grounds when the temps cooled or on the shaded paths when the temps were not so cool. I enjoyed four of the a la carte restaurants during my stay--the Japanese being my favorite. I enjoyed the buffets--my standards being if I didn't have to fix it, shop for it, serve it, etc.--it was glorious.

I booked several tours through the Apple rep on site. I would have appreciated knowing some of the small details like if I went horseback riding and needed a locker, I better bring an extra buck along. (I was told to bring money but I didn't have a dollar with me. Fortunately, another guest gave me one for my change.) Horseback riding in the ocean appeared to be risky given the picture I was shown in their book (woman on horse appeared to be alone in the middle of the ocean). No one rode alone into the ocean and the horses' feet never left the ground. We were well escorted at all times. A missed opportunity. A reason to return.

I got locked out of the safe in my room. A call to the front desk and security promptly came to the rescue. Thank you! (Written instructions in the room or on the safe would be helpful.)

I did venture into the spa, where I was ignored (my only negative experience while there). Three women were chatting at the front counter. They barely glanced in my direction. I was not greeted or spoken to while I was there. I looked at the price list posted at the front desk and left. I wouldn't bother with it. I work retail and we are trained to always greet the customer and offer assistance. Otherwise, I was greeted pleasantly with "Hola" by all staff whether trimming trees, pushing the laundry cart or answering the telephone.

• Liked — The grounds were breathtakingly beautiful.
  • Disliked — The noise from the Linda (I was not given a room near the noise center; otherwise, I would have been very unhappy).
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank suite1934

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chciago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the Del Mar for a week in Januray 2009. We booked our trip through Apple Vacations and it went very smoothly.

I have to admit that after I read some of the reviews I was afraid of what we may have to experience. I can not say enough good things about the Del Mar from the time we arrived until the moment we left we had a wonderful time. I can not imagine anyone having any complaints about the grounds or rooms. The property is beautiful.

I had heard many people complain about the size and mention that there was alot of walking. I actually enjoyed being able to have to walk from my room to the reasturants or the nearby mall. If you have difficulty walking then you may want to reconsider. I wanted a larger resort atmosphere where everything was not cramed into one location. The grounds are so beautiful and the weather was perfect even when we had the oppurtunity to take the bus we passed and walked instead.

The food could have been better but I had to remind myself that the resort needs to cater to every type of culture and not just provide what I am used to eating. I think the buffet offers a wide variety and actually enjoyed the buffet over the Brazilian Steakhouse which was horrible. The Mexican was pretty good but you could actually get the same food at the buffet.

The shows were very entertaining and well done.

The water in the ocen was warmer then the pool so we spent more time on the beach.

I do wish the bar made their mixed drinks alot stronger but if you requested them to do so they would. I also wish they served Corona at the bars, the only place they serve it are the main reasturants.

I am a cat lover so loved all the cats roaming the property I do not think everone would agree.

I could have easily stayed another week. I am confident that I will return.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ferlola
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

This was our second trip to the del Mar and our third at an Iberostar on the Riviera Maya. We were there in mid-January. We were a family of 4--traveling with a preschooler and a toddler. This year we stayed in building 11; very close to the pool, ocean, and lunch spot. I liked the location but there was a lot of noise while the kids were napping in the afternoon (I think we were right outside a laundry station with big carts coming and going). Most people aren't in their rooms in the afternoon, so it wouldn't bother most people. I should have switched rooms but was too lazy to repack again and my kids were so tired, they slept like logs anyhow! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beds were not as hard as last year, but still not like at home (I guess it gives you a reason to want to leave paradise!). Maids came daily and refilled water/drinks as needed. We never used the AC. We ordered a crib for our 18 month old daughter and it was sturdy but seemed a bit small for her--she had a hard time getting comfy in the middle of the night.

The pool was beautiful and refreshing. The kiddie area was loads of fun for our kids! The beach was amazing and both the kids loved the warm waves, though we had to hang on to them as all the days had red flags.

The food was fine but got old after a few days. We ate at the Mexican and the Steak House a la carte and liked both--the Mexican had great appetizers (the tamales were especially good) and we loved the blooming onion and steak (duh!) at the Steak House. The buffet always had lots of choices, but here are some of my favorites for breakfast: pancakes, enchiladas verde, doughnuts, my son liked the chocolate muffins when they were there, and the orange juice was so good! Lunch and dinner: soups, guac, and the Mexican specials. My kids are pretty picky so we brought lots of their favorite snacks with. They did get ice cream everyday too!

The grounds were huge and immaculate--I never minded all the walking. We all enjoyed looking at the plants and animals. I wish I was back there right now...

The service was wonderful, as usual! Very friendly and helpful waiters and servers. They put in long days, so we always left tips.

Here are a few tips for your trip:

Bring a sweater and a pair of pants in case it gets cool at night.

We brought $100 for tips for 5 days and we wish we brought more (though we did have a problem with our credit card at one point, which made us use some of our tip cash).

The shopping center is close enough to walk to. It's a different place to get lunch or dessert. They have a merry-go-round that they run at 8:30 a few times a week.

Enjoy your trip!

• Liked — The beatiful grounds
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank la-la-limon
Lansing, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

We had a great Honeymoon at this place. The staff was wonderful and always there for us night or day. We had a very clean room and lots of variety of dinner choices. The buffets were OK but dinner were the best. I suggest booking these when you arrive because they fill up quickly. The pool wrapped around the place for miles and the beach was great. This is a great place to meet new people and learn the culture.

• Liked — No kids around
  • Disliked — reservations for dinner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank runfargirl10
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

I stayed at the Iberostar del Mar from January 23-28, 2009 and couldn't have been more pleased. I surprised my husband with a trip for his 30th birthday - and his parents, my two sisters and 3 of their kids joined us. We all had a wonderful time and are considering returning next year with even more family!

The rooms were clean and spacious. I recommend trying to stay in lower-numbered buildings toward the pool and beach. If you can get into building 10, do it! My sister managed to get a suite there and her patio overlooked the ocean...beautiful! The ocean was great during our stay - a little rough, but clear and fun!

The pool was very chilly while we were there - but it IS January! And, you do get used to it. The weather overall was amazing - it rained the morning of our last day, which was a bit of a bummer, but you can't complain after the fun we had!

The best thing about the resort???? THE SERVICE!!!!!!! Everyone on staff was so sweet and quick to help - we were really impressed. With all of the people coming through that property (one staffer estimated 2,000 people per week), I was shocked that several remembered me!!!!

The food wasn't amazing - but I wasn't expecting that much. As most mention, the Japanese definitely was the best we tried. I thought the Mexican was okay, and the best thing about that restaurant is the appetizer buffet. The Brazilian was pretty good! I'm not very picky about food, so I was pleased, but my husband was definitely sick of eating there after 5 days.

If you have any questions about this resort, don't hesitate to contact me!!!!!!!

• Liked — The staff - the beach - the pool - the VALUE!
  • Disliked — Coming home... :(
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank molliemoleo
Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

This resort is huge. I've had a total knee replacement and asked for a ground floor room and to be in the center of the hotel. I was granted both. Building 14 is a great location. Too much walking if you ask me though. Beautiful grounds very well kept. Lots of wildlife and stray cats which wait under for you to drop food. Unsanitary if you ask me. Food is ok not great. Staff was friendly. Beach and pool was overcrowded. People actually would get up extra early or late and leave towels on chairs just to secure a spot. We never got a spot on the beach. Water was too rough anyhow, red or yellow flags each day. Not rec. for the kiddos or weak swimmers. I do recommend the all day snorkle adventure to the open senotes and inlets.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

We booked our trip 8 days in advance (traveled January 19-26)through a travel agent, through Signature Vacations. We were offered StarClass and we took it. The seats are at the front of the plane and while the leg room is limited, it's way better than the other seats. We were offered a hot 'towelette' which was kind of nice, free alcohol (hubby had three drinks, I did not as I was doped up on gravol), free headsets (if you bring your own, your prong will work in the bottom hole) for the movie. We also had our own check-in line with no waiting (took two minutes). The only negative thing that happened was our flight was delayed two hours because some insensitive passengers did not get on the previous flight to Punta Cana and the airport WAITED for them to show up, two hours later. Happily, they were denied getting on.

So we didn't get into Cancun until midnight. We found our rep immediately and he put us on the bus right away. We were not harassed by bag boys (maybe because it was so late?) or taxi drivers. We left immediately and after stopping at three resorts, we arrived at our hotel at 1:30ish. I jumped off the bus and went straight to check in (however there were only three families on our bus) and asked for a king size bed. We got it. A bellboy took our four bags, threw them on a trolley and off we went to Room 1421.

NOTE: the hotel area is massive. Imagine two resorts, side by side, running the length of a very, very long pool. The long pool has a beach at one end, and the lobby at the other. Prepare to do a lot of walking. There is a trolley which runs by every fifteen minutes, and it's up to you if you want to wait. I didn't mind waiting because the exercise was nice and the paths are gorgeous.

Our room was perfect. Sure the balcony faced the road, but you couldn't see it, and you'd only hear a car once in awhile. Our balcony did not face the sun, so it stayed cool. The rooms are marble and tile, our bathroom had a huuuge shower (room for both of us with extra room), very clean floors, grout, corners. Our bed was kingsize and hard, but I like a hard bed. The t.v got a ton of channels (sadly, we missed Lost) and the mini fridge is under the cabinet. On our first day, we left a 20$ bill inside an envelope, on top of the pillow for the housekeeper. I wrote: 4 waters, 2 diet coke every day. And she did it. She kept our room immaculate, did the funny towel animals, gave us waaay too many towels (there are extra under the cabinet) and never harassed us. They will not take any money from your room, unless it's on or under the pillow.

We spent the mornings playing tennis (they have three courts, and you sign up for one hour intervals at the 'gym') or working out. The cardio machines are top of the line and it does get busy, but the waiting time is only a half hour. There are weights and fitness classes, such as step class, yoga/pilates and tai chi. We dropped our towels onto beach chairs around the 'quiet area' of the pool by the waterfall at 9 and then went to breakfast.

Breakfast is amazing. They have two egg stations with bacon, sausage, fish, stuffed tomatoes etc. They have a french toast/pancake/belgian waffle station. They have 8 different kinds of homemade yogurt (loved the apple), a ton of fruit, 8 different kinds of homemade juices, salads, deli meats, 5 different kinds of breads. Amazing! And the coffee is out of this world. They also serve soy milk so I was able to have a cappucino!

Then off to the pool for a sleep. There are chaises in the sun, and there are some in the shade. The pool is only about 2.5' for most of it, but there are areas where it's deeper, but no deeper then 5'. The water is cold, but once you're in, it's perfect. The 'loud' section has the 'star friends' which are loud and play silly games and whatnot. We didn't participate, and they didn't harass us. There is a pool bar in the quiet area, and there is quite a variety! The waterfall is very cool and many people had pics taken under it. And baby, the weather was freakin' hot!

The beach is beautiful. The sand is not as soft as Cayo Coco, but you can walk on it barefoot. There is a PADI dive center, and hubby took advantage of the diving. He enjoyed it and saw eels, lobsters, flying fish etc. The beach goes very far and you are able to walk the whole length BUT when you get near the GRAND hotel, you need to stick close to the water, because it's extremely private and they will shoo you away. The ocean was the perfect temperature and there is one section of rocks but if you move a bit further down, it's sandy and perfect. The waves were awesome, and it is sectionned off so you don't go too far out. There is a beach bar which is quiet busy, and the grill right beside it has burgers, dogs and sausages from 11-5. There is also a buffet about 200' in which serves chicken, fish, pork chops, salads, desserts, guacamole, salsa etc from 12:30-3.

The lunch buffet in the lobby is open 1-3 (strange hours as breakfast is over at 10, so if you're hungry, go to the beach) and it was pretty good. The dinner buffet was good but we managed to only eat there twice.

Restaurants: There are quite a few to choose from. The first morning we were there, we stood in line at 8:50am and were first to sign up. We chose the Mexican, the Japanese and the Mediterranean. She asked if we wanted to go on a waiting list, but we said no. The next night we stopped by and asked (before 6 o'clock) if there were any openings at the Mexican and we slipped right in.
Mexican: loved it. The salsa is unbelievable and the guacamole is amazing. They make their own tortilla chips and the spicy sauce is insane. I ordered the beef charusco (sp?) with guacamole and black beans both nights and it was fantastic. The beef is so tender and delicious and I adore the black bean mush which they also serve at the buffet (try it on your toast with egg and tomato. wow). Hubby ordered the special tacos with sausage and didn't like it. Then he ordered the beef kabob with tequila and while it was very cool when they brought it out because the sauce was on fire in a gravy boat and then poured on his meat and it was still on fire, it was just ok. The desserts are yummy.
Japanese: I think it was overrated. You sit with ten people around a square table and the chef cooks in the middle. He did a couple of tricks, but I think he was new or our table wasn't very drunk because no one cheered as loudly as the other tables. You start off with sushi, which was ok (we're not big sushi eaters) and we ordered the beef and chicken and it's a ton of food. I ate too much.
Mediterranean: Definitely the best. Everyone goes on about the gourmet, but I had to try this place as it serves a lot of seafood. The buffet part of calamari and guacamole and appetizers were very good. Order the grouper with saffron. It is unbelievable! It was served inside tinfoil (en papillote) with zucchini and it was so tender it fell apart while I ate it. Hubby ordered sea bass (that's good bass!) and it was ok. The dessert is unbelievable. Get the huge chocolate mousse tart. Wow.
Drinks: were amazing. Only one time did they put in too much rum. The mojitos are fantastic!
The lobby is enormous and there are plenty of places to sit and enjoy a drink before dinner. The lobby bar is lovely. In the lobby is also a gift shop and photo shop.

Past the lobby is a path that leads to the gym/tennis courts, a convention center and a shopping plaza. The plaza has three really good jewelry stores, two so-so ones, cowboy boot store, purse and luggage store, knick knacks, clothing, a quickie mart (excellent internet service, 3$ US for 15 minutes) a beautiful courtyard with a large horse merry-go-round, a teen disco with a starwars theme, an adult disco (from 11-3), a creperie (free), hamburg place (free), and taco bar (free). The ATM is there and our debit card didnt' work, but our visa did for withdrawls. This lobby is the place where you catch the 'bus' did Playa Del Carmen. A large taxi van picks up 8 people and for 4$US you are driven to the city. It leaves at 9, 11, 1 and takes half an hour. At 12,3,6 is the return taxi. You could take a personal taxi but it's 20$US. Playa Del Carmen is very cool. They drop you off outside of a small store (which for some reason, carries penicillin, viagara and amoxicillin to anyone who walks in) and when you go straight for 20 feet and turn right, you're in a cobblestone courtyard. These are the fancy shops and there is indeed a Starbucks. The stores are very cool and I did buy some clothes that were definitely not touristy. When you hit fifth avenue, you've hit the motherload. All tourist shops, with guys yelling at you to come in, but we just ignored who we didn't want to see and they didn't harass us. It leads to the ferry which takes people to Cozumel, and the beach. We didn't leave fifth avenue, even though there is a Walmart a few blocks over because apparently they are a bit more rough.

We didn't do any of the excursions because frankly, I thought they were too expensive. It was tempting to go see the Mayan ruins, but it's a three hour bus ride, you're there for two hours and then you leave. All for 90$US. We were bums and preferred to nap at the pool and on the beach instead.

We only had one bad encounter with loudness/drunkeness, and sadly it was the next room and the guy was passed out, in the hallway at 8pm. We manged to help security get him into his room. The next day he didn't remember anything.

I loved it there. It was classy, beautiful, gorgeous. Flamingos in the ponds, fish, koi, white storks, peacocks, lidos (I think that's what they're called), crazy black birds that insanely loud on the promenade at 5pm. We were treated well, everyone smiled and you never felt like you were a pain. I would go back, but I think I would prefer to try many different resorts as well.

• Liked — Beautiful scenery, good food, ocean, laziness of it all.
  • Disliked — No soy milk at all meals.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,408 reviews

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!