“Great family vacation!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We had a great time. We made reservations immediately and got into the Mediterranean, Brazilian, and Japanese. All were very good. We also had a dinner on the beach because we booked through Apple vacations. Overall we thought the food was good and our party of 7 never left hungry. We were never too hot in any of the outdoor buffets even in the August heat.

My 10 year old twins enjoyed soccer, beach volleyball and the pool games. The beach was beautiful, a couple of days some seaweed did come in and the water was a little less clear. The resort worked hard to rake it up and by mid afternoon the beach was back to the beautiful blue color.

We liked the Boogie Nights show the best out of the shows that we saw.

The staff kept the resort amazingly clean and were very friendly. The bartenders were great with my 10 year old boys who constantly wanted another strawberry daiquiri. The star friends worked hard to provide entertainment all day.

We did an excursion to Xcarat and Chichen Itza through the apple rep at the resort and both were great!

We had an amazing time at Iberostar and can't wait to return some day.

Room Tip: We were in building 14 and it was a great location. You can call the front desk and have them lower...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank micheleinohio
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar to spend your latest holidays.

We appreciate your review describing your wonderful experience. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our specialty restaurants; especially the Mediterranean, Japanese & Brazilian, and that your children enjoyed our activities at the beach and pool directed by our Animation staff.

We love these comments since they encourage us to work harder to keep offering the outstanding service that IBEROSTAR' guests have always been used to.

We are happy to read that you plan to come back, and as such, we are looking forward to it!

Best regards,
IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (4,933)

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Our family vacation got off to a bad start as our flight do Mexico was delayed for over 10 hours at O’Hare airport. After arriving at the airport at 6:30 am we finally departed at 5:30pm. Our Apple rep said they had contacted the hotel to inform them we would be arriving late and that there should not be any problems. We finally go to the hotel at 11:00pm and the person at the desk welcomed us and told us they were expecting us. He quickly checked us into our rooms and had a porter waiting with a golf cart to bring us to our rooms. The process probably took less than 10 minutes which was greatly appreciated. He also said the buffet was re-opened for late night dining so we could get dinner. We didn’t know they did that so the information was welcome.

When we got to our rooms, there was a problem in that both rooms had king sized beds. For my wife and I that wasn’t an issue, but not the best arrangements for our 2 sons (20 and 23). The rooms were also not in the building we requested, but that was not as important. The porter called the front desk and explained the situation immediately. After a discussion, he told us there were not any rooms available that night as the resort was totally booked, but they would put us in different rooms the next day. All we had to do was leave our packed cases in the room when we left and they would take care of everything. I went to the desk in the morning to make sure everything was still on track and talked to Carla. After giving her my name, she said she heard all about our trip and told me that she was sorry it had gotten off to a bad start. She then gave me our new room numbers and asked that I check back with her after lunch and she would let me know the status. She said to feel free to use the rooms as long as our suitcases were still there and the room hadn’t been cleaned. By 1:00pm the next day, our cases were in different rooms (1 king and 1 with 2 queens) and in the building we originally requested. Other than turning in our old keys and getting new keys, I didn’t have to do anything. What a relief, I was really expecting that I was going to have to explain the situation all over.

By the end of the day we were in full vacation mode and most thoughts of the previous day were gone with a few boat drinks. We met so many fabulous employees during our stay. One of our favorites was Lionel at the beach bar. He was not only fast, but always happy to see everyone. All the bartenders, desk staff, porters and restaurant workers were more than friendly and definitely helpful. I wish I had written down their names so I could mention them here.

The rooms are very nice. Everything was always cleaned well with folded towel animals on the bed every afternoon. The pool area is huge although since it winds around, you may not even realize how big it is. The restaurants are good although I prefer the ones that are air-conditioned. We ate at the shopping area one night, the taco bar and margarita stops are a must.

This was our 4th trip to the Paraiso del Mar (5th overall to the Playa del Mar complex, we also stayed at the Lindo once) and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The higher building numbers are closer to the lobby, most restaurants and shopping. Lower numbers a...
1  Thank Bill_DCPF
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear client,

We would like to thank you for your loyalty towards IBEROSTAR. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your opinion on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to have delivered you a fabulous vacation; despite the inconvenience that you experienced at the beginning with your flight.

It is lovely to know that you were able to get the rooms that you requested. We will congratulate Carla for having assisted you with this and for making it as easy as possible for you.

Furthermore, we appreciate your highlight about how efficient and helpful our staff is, especially Lionel. Be sure that we will congratulate him for a job well done.

Once again, thank you for your important feedback. We truly hope to welcome you back to IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar again.

Truly yours,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

One of the cleanest, most beautiful resorts I have visited. The staff was amazing, friendly and always looking to help. My only complaint is the restaurant reservations. We were told they were full but upon checking the place ourselves they were empty. But that is such a small thing. The pool, the rooms, the beach, the service, the food, the drinks, everything was amazing. I can't wait to go back!!! Thank you!!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank kennyb88
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Distinguished guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us by choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar for your vacation.

We are pleased to have delivered what is required for you to have a fabulous vacation; this is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they make us feel confident we are on the right track, and motivate us to improve our service daily.

It is great to read that you enjoyed the pools, the beach, the food and our different facilities.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you once again our warm hospitality.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just got back from a week stay, 2 couples with 2 children, ages 8 & 9. I consider myself fairly well traveled, but this was my first stay at an Iberostar. Muy Excellente! What stands out here is the customer service, beautifully manicured grounds, huge swimming pool, wonderful wildlife everywhere, entertainment for all ages, lovely & clean beach and wonderful food!

Best Service: A huge thank you to Concierge Israel who made our stay most enjoyable! You can tell he enjoys his job and went out of his way to make us feel very well taken care of. He is a wealth of knowledge and goes the extra mile to make you feel really welcomed and important. This is a great place because of people like him!

Grounds: The place is spotless, from the landscapers out at 6am trimming the coconut trees to the guy scrubbing the pool tiles with a small brush one morning- they work very hard. Smiles and greetings from everyone you encounter. The only thing that bugged me on cleanliness (not the hotel’s fault) were smokers putting out their cigarettes wherever they wanted and smoking in the pool. YES, walking in the pool with cigarettes dangling...I found that rude and obnoxious and wished there were a rule for that. Fortunately not many smokers here.

Pool activities every day - should you choose to participate. Water Aerobics, football, basketball competitions, dancing...you name it. The same staff work the theatre shows at night and put a lot of energy and time into making it fun for kids and adults. Laura and all the guys who work the entertainment are wonderful. Children are made to feel welcomed everywhere, including the swim up bar where my 2 spent a lot of time asking for virgin drinks! Kudos to the bar staff and restaurant servers & bussers who work so hard. TIP: Even tho this is all inclusive, be a kind traveler and tip these people please. Leave money for the girl who cleans your room - the towel animals are a treat and your fridge will be filled with whatever you ask. The restaurant staff wear jackets or long sleeves in this heat, they deserve a little extra something.

Restaurant: Buffets are great - there really is something for everyone. I don’t get the complaints about the food. We loved breakfast options the most. You will find more of a selection at the buffet in the lobby than by the beach, yes. Plentiful and nicely displayed. Reservation restaurants are amazing! Everything here is open air with the exception of a few that are air conditioned - Brazilian, Japanese, Mexican, Mediterranean, Gourmet have A/C. Mexican & Brazilian were our faves!

Size: I've read it was HUGE. If you’ve been to the Principe Coba, this place is tiny to compare. It is one of the smallest resorts of all the places in Riviera Maya in the Apple vacation guide, with not quite 400 rooms. Even tho the Del Mar and Beach share the same public areas/restaurants it never felt crowded. Well, the swim up bar area was to be expected. You could also find a quiet spot of pool to lounge in. We never needed carts to drive us around here…the kids also did just fine walking. We took golf carts from the shopping plaza back to the Del Mar lobby just because the kids liked them.

I research my vacations and read tripadvisor religiously before choosing. The few mediocre reviews I read did not pan out on my trip. You can't please everyone, but how you could not enjoy this Iberostar is beyond me. I look forward to returning to the Del Mar & will look for Israel upon my return!

Room Tip: Building 15, ground floor, perfect location. Pool and swim up bar right there and short walk thru go...
5  Thank DianeM1110

Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your vacations at our complex with us on TripAdvisor.

We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us so much. We truly appreciate your mention of our beautiful grounds, beach and pool.

Your recognition for Israel from Guest Services is very much appreciated, and it is gratifying to know that he made your stay so enjoyable. We will congratulate him for that.

It is lovely to read that you enjoyed our activities at the pool as well as the night entertainment!

There is nothing that makes us happier than learning that a guest that intends to return to our hotel, so we are looking forward to your return!.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Our family of 11 stayed for 8 nights. The rooms were nice and clean, the resort is huge and the grounds are kept superbly. The pools and beach area are nice also. My disappointment came with the buffet and nightly entertainment. The specialty restaurants are a must, so book as many as you can. The buffet was just not at all what I expected. We kept comparing this resort with a Riu hotel in the Dominican Republic and they were like night and day. I was expecting the Iberostar to be so much more, but it wasn't. Prepare to walk - a lot. We had to rent a wheelchair for our grandmother to get from the room to the restaurants as the trams were hit or miss and even then, it was a good walk from the drop off points. Make sure to use the free wifi at the mall area.

Room Tip: No elevators for rooms, rooms near restaurants can hear nightly entertainment, rooms near pools and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your family vacation.

Thank you for highlighting the cleanliness of our room as well as the maintenance of the grounds, beach and pool.

We are sorry that our main buffet did not fulfill your expectations; our Executive Chef and his team of cooks are constantly working on new ideas and alternatives for our guests, so be sure that your comments will be passed onto them. Our Executive Chef is always open to receive feedback.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and offer you the excellent service that features IBEROSTAR

Reviewed August 5, 2014

For the price (including airfare), I wasn't sure about the quality of our recent stay at this all inclusive resort. It's not a 5-star Ritz Carlton style hotel by any stretch - so, don't come here with that type of expectation. However, if you have been on a cruise ship, that would be a reasonable comparison. If you like to drink alcohol, then this place is for you. Holy smokes. It was unlimited beer, wine and cocktails the entire time. Also, the food is not amazing, but it was very, very good with lots of selections and options for everyone. The service and people that worked there were VERY friendly and helpful. They all speak English and Spanish. Knowing first or 2nd year level Spanish helps. IMO, the value was an absolute 10+++ / but compared to a high end resort - I'd give it a 7.5-8 out of 10.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Paul S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the staff and Management of Paraíso del Mar, we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at IBEROSTAR.

We are glad to know that you found our food & drinks offerings varied and for all tastes. Thank you for highlighting the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff, it is very gratifying and motivational to hear nice words like yours. These comments are truly important to us, as our team’s main reward is the recognition of their hard work.

We hope that you will return to our resort IBEROSTAR Paraíso del Mar for your next vacations. We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our 6th trip to all-inclusive resort and 1st stay at Iberostar. Here is the list of pro's and con's at our opinion

Cons:
1. AC only available in your room and in al carte restaurants.
2. No free WiFi
3. No boogie boards
4. Golf carts are not frequently available
5. Men's restroom are not always clean
6. A little bit more of food variety would be nice

Pros:
1. Resort is big, but everything is within walking distance. The longest distance is between the beach and the lobby which is only about 10 minute walk.
2. Restaurant staff are generally helpful and friendly
3. Making a reservation for al carte restaurants was quite easy
4. Flora and fauna are vast
5. Maids are doing very good job of cleaning the room with only couple mistakes here and there
6. Food was fresh and good quality
7. Desert selection is great!
8. Night shows were diverse
9. A lot of fish to see when you go snorkeling
10. The entertainment team is amazing! Between games and parties at the pool and activities at the beach, there was always something to do. Staff are very friendly, funny and courteous. My 13 and 16 year old sons spent all day participating and enjoying different functions. Gabriel, Cesar, Laura, Valerio, Ivan, David, Edu, Javier, Raul, Ricki, Rita, Rico, Johanny - are all exCellent entertainers and are number one reason why my children want to come back next year!

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR IBEROSTAR!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Buildings 1100-1300 are closest to the beach. Buildings 1800-2000 are close to the lobby. It doesn...
1  Thank George S

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar to spend your vacation.

We truly appreciate each one of your comments, since they provide us with useful information in order to work on improvements and to reach our main goal which is the entire satisfaction of our guests.

It is lovely to read that you found our staff to be helpful, our food of good quality, and our activities at the pool and beach fun!

Thank you for your suggestions as well. We take note of all of them so keep improving our service for you and your future customers.

We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the near future at our resort or any IBEROSTAR worldwide.

Best regards,

#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#51 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!