“Third visit - can't wait to return!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was my third visit to the Iberostar Playa Paraiso/Paraiso del Mar resort and reminded me of the reason I keep coming back - amazing amenities, incredible bartenders, servers, and housekeepers, and unbeatable scenery. Not to mention the bartenders always remember me (you're awesome Victor and Lionel!). Can't wait to return!

1  Thank ceiseman
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar again for your vacations and for taking the time to share your exceptional review.

We are truly happy to know that our services, facilities and Staff keep offering you an amazing time and you enjoyed once again a nice vacation at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar. We have forwarded your feedback to all the people you mention since it provides great motivation to keep offering the great service we are proud of.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again our service, facilities and the paradisiacal beach we have in the Mayan Riviera!

There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar

Reviewed January 16, 2014

First of all, let me say I this is not my first time staying in an Iberostar resort. It is a very beautiful resort. I'll try to cover all bases of the resort

Hotel: The resort is huge and very nice. The only downside is that at night it is very poorly lit. During the day the walk from the rooms to the beach or the lobby area is nice but at night it is a little uncomfortable. If you are not up for a walk there are shuttles that make trips back and forth. There are people constantly cleaning and working on the upkeep. The wifi is a little expensive at the resort but it is absolutely free at the Shopping Center. So take the walk.

Rooms: I would definitely recommend staying in between the beach and the lobby area. I would suggest buildings 15 or 16. The rooms are basic but clean. The beds are ok, the fridge is restocked everyday with different sodas, water and 2 kinds of beer.

Restaurants: The buffets are ok, nothing spectacular. Honestly I am a bit disappointed in breakfast, I really look forward to oatmeal. I have had some great oatmeal at these kind of resorts. Needless to say this was a let down. I also really appreciate freshly squeezed juices in the morning and the fruit is always so good in the islands. But the only time I was able to get a freshly squeezed juice was at the spa. My only other complaint was that there was a lot of pork at the buffet and that was an issue for my family. There are 6 al a carte restaurants between the Paraiso Beach and the Del Mar. We got 3 dinner reservations for a 7 night stay. We tried the Brazilian, now if you are an avid pork eater then there are nice selections of meat for you to try. My family however does not eat pork at all, so for us there were just 2 kinds of meat and a chicken option. We also had a nice dinner at the steakhouse, which I would definitely recommend. The steaks were nicely cooked. The last night we had dinner at the gourmet restaurant which was recommended to us by the concierge that made the reservations. We had the lobster tail and it was very delicious, and for the appetizer I would recommend the grilled veggie plate. With dessert you can't really go wrong, each one of us got something different and it was all very delicious. Oh, and for lunch going to the taco place at the Shopping Center is highly recommended. We had lunch there 2 days in a row. The ice cream at this resort is also worth mentioning, I really enjoyed trying all the flavors.

Tour: We went on 1 trip and it was to Xcaret. I would suggest getting the tickets at the airport, it was cheaper than the resort. The best way to describe the park is water activities and the zoo rolled into one. And if you are getting tickets to Xcaret, then make sure it is an Xcaret plus ticket. That includes and locker rental, roundtrip transportation and a lunch buffet. There are 5 restaurants included in the ticket and you can pick which one you can eat in. The actual park is very big. The first thing I would suggest is doing the river swim to the top of the park. I think that is by far one of the best parts other park. It is an underground river that goes to the top, you get a lifejacket, flippers and snorkeling equipment. And you swim your way up. It was really nice and you can watch all the fish as you are swimming up. There are also other activities you can reserve and are additional cost, such as swimming with the dolphins, scuba diving, stingray experience and other things I can't really recall. You should definitely stay for the show at night. It is 2 hours and is really interesting. A show about how Mexico came to be.

Nightlife: The shows are Ok, Nothing spectacular. One of the shows was the movie show, out of all the little skits Chicago was by far the best. The Star team did there best to keep you entertained. After the show, they got a few of the guests including myself to dance. After the show, there was an option to go to the club Galaxy, located at the Shopping Center. The club was good, a lot of dance music. I was hoping for some authentic Latin music. Otherwise it was a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Beach/pool: The pool is absolutely massive and very nice. The beach is my preferred swimming location. Although there were a lot of waves and that made it quite difficult to actually swim. Regarding the old notion of getting up really early to reserve lounge chairs by the pool and the beach, is absolutely not necessary here. You can get a lounge chair at any time really. There are also quite a few places to relax, by the beach there is a hammock area. At the pool there is a quiet area with beds that will rock you right to sleep, literally.

Overall, it was a lovely vacation. I'm not sure I would come back because a resort really has to be an amazing place to warrant a second trip.

5  Thank Dina226
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

Thank you for your nice comments, shared on Trip Advisor. These are the comments we love to read from our guests since they keep us motivated to keep offering the most amazing experiences and unforgettable memories.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We have shared your comments with our department managers to review your points with their teams so that no other guests will leave dissatisfied. We regret to know that the food was not up to your expectations, especially with breakfast and the meat offerings; the Head Chef will take your feedback into consideration for our service.

We sincerely hope to have the chance again to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy another great experience along with our Staff.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Paraiso del Mar. It is a HUGE resort complex with 4 resorts on site. We upgraded to stay near the beach. That meant walking 10 minutes to the main lobby or taking a free trolley. Since we had a 5 yr. old grand-daughter with us, we took the trolley most of the time. It would have been nice if the trolleys ran on a schedule and stuck to one area. They have quite a few trolleys, but the drivers will take people to all 4 resorts if asked to. So the wait in between can take a while and there is no regularity.

The children's club was FABULOUS. Alexandra was so friendly. Our grand-daughter spent most of her time at kid's club where each day there were different activities. It felt very safe and we were a little leery about leaving our grand-daughter there at first, but after the first day---no worries.

Rooms were very nice and roomy. We had 4 in our room and never felt crowded. The service was also very good. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

We made restaurant reservations before we arrived at the resort--be sure to do that, don't wait until after you arrive!! We enjoyed Brazilian, Japanese, & one other specialty restaurant. The buffets were fine with lots of choices.

There were 3 swim up bars. Friendly staff but the drinks weren't top of the line. Didn't enjoy the Margaritas the first day. So we tried lots of different cocktails until we found one we liked. Apparently the lounge bar has the better brands of alcohol.

All in all, we had a very nice stay. Just be prepared to do a lot of walking to get around the grounds.

We were a 20 minute drive to Playa del Carmen. When booking a tour, we had to take a taxi to Playa early in the morning and that added $25.00 each way. The resort has a free shuttle but it doesn't run that early. So if you plan to leave the resort, be aware of the travel options.

6  Thank smartinlps
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We are more than glad to know that you had an amazing stay with us and that you enjoyed the food, grounds, beach, activities and the great service from our Staff.

We have shared your comments on the internal transportation with management for their consideration. Thank you for your suggestions.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy another great stay with us.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This trip was just another vacation. We live in Wisconsin so we needed to escape the cold! And we did...the temp was over 100 degrees difference! And my fabulous boyfriend asked me to marry him! He asked my at the Wedding Chapel area! Pretty cool area!
Anyways, we had a great experience besides the cooler weather and 3 out of us getting sick. Not sure why or how people got sick. I was the only one who didn't get sick, but once. I think it has to do with our bodies not use to other countries. I guess just take precautions and bring pepto-bismol.
Drinks are for sure watered down, which isn't so bad if you plan to drink all day.
Food is buffet style and is decent. They have a shopping center that had a taco place...Delicious!!! The burger place...nasty! The crepe & ice cream...tasty good!
We ate dinner at The Mediterranean restaurant, which was fantastic as well as the Gourmet restaurant. The Brazilian was not good...the meat was under cooked and of course freaked us out, since we had already started having upset stomachs.
The maid service was fabulous and typically in and out during the mornings!
The landscaping is amazing and really makes for walking around pleasurable.
The beach and pool were fabulous also.
WiFi is only available in the shopping center for FREE, otherwise you need to pay for it.
The staff was very helpful which helps make a stay that much better!!
Iberostar was a great place and I hope to stay again, but maybe in a different area so I can see more of the land!

3  Thank mariposa7581

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us and to know this vacation became such a special experience. We are happy to know that you enjoyed several restaurants and buffets. We regret to know that not all the food was great; the Executive Chef will share this feedback with his Head Chefs and team, to take it into consideration for our service.

We have a Health & Safety department that takes two temperature tests per platter and several measures are taken to keep the food in optimal conditions for our guests. We also have a medical center with a medic 24 hours. But as you rightly said, every person reacts differently to foreign food. We hope you all feel much better.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy an amazing stay again with us.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Iberostar generally does things right. This was our 8th trip to Riviera Maya and our 2nd stay at this Iberostar complex, first time we stayed at Paraiso Beach. It is kind of confusing but there are 5 resorts in one complex. The del Mar is the "low" end but that doesn't make it bad. I love the "beachy" feel at Iberostar. The Star Friends entertainment staff are awesome. Our biggest complaint about our room was the hair dryer (take your own) and the shower/bath tub combination was not good. We've stayed in better. This is a huge resort so plan on walking a lot, or waiting for the shuttle to drive you. The resort was very booked up.There were 9 of us. Our party did enjoy the wildlife at the resort; coatis, peacocks, flamingos and more. We did have to play the towel game most days, but we got chairs on the beach and at the pool every day. We won't go back in December or January because this was our 2nd December trip and the weather is just not good. It rained all day our last day there. The buffet food is average to above average. Our party especially enjoyed the french fries on the beach. We ate at the Gourmet and Carribean restaurants which the food was awesome. We were there for 6 nights tho and could only get restaurant reservations guaranteed for two nights. This was disappointing. The first time we stayed at Paraiso Beach we ate at restaurants most nights. Another reason to go back to the Valentin Imperial Maya, you eat at a restaurant every night. Overall Paraiso del Mar is nice, but we won't be going back to that one.

Room Tip: If the price is the same, stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach.
3  Thank AnnfromIowa

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and the nice comments regarding your recent stay. We are more than glad to know that you enjoyed the wildlife, the nice beach and the incredible service from our Staff.

We deeply regret to know that not everything was as you expected, we offer limited dinner reservations however depending on availability and the cancellations from our guests we are usually able to offer some extra dinners.

The Chef is now aware of your critics and they will take them into consideration for our improvement since our main goal is the complete satisfaction of our guests.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again our service, facilities and the great environment we have to offer.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family and I take a vacation every year and for the past three years we have traveled to the Iberostar Pariso del Mar. We continue to go back because it is very clean, the service is excellent and the food and drinks are delicious. All of the activities are very fun. We always go back to see our favorite bartenders at the amazing pool and beach, Victor and Lionel. They always remember us, even after a year of being away, and that makes us feel very special and makes it very fun. The Star Friends are also so friendly and go out of their way to talk to you and to make sure you are having a good time. Israel especially made a huge effort all week to come over and talk to us and make sure we have a good time. He was always smiling and a great person to see everyday. Teresa in the Japanese restaurant also has become a person who we always go back to see. She is very friendly and a very hard worker, she always takes the time to talk to us and get to know us. She has become a friend at our home away from home. All of the bartenders, servers, star friends and staff are extremely friendly and great here. This place is incredible and the reason we continue to go back year after year.

2  Thank Keiseman

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar once again for your recent vacation!

It is great to receive your incredible comments regarding our services, facilities, food, rooms and our Staff. Our team always does their best to offer a fantastic service and an unforgettable stay. We will pass your comments on to the staff mentioned, they will be thrilled.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future for another unforgettable vacation at your home away from home!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Beautiful, very clean resort. Never fighting for I a spot near the pool, as the pool is HUGH and plenty of room the beach front is also very long and we never had a problem finding a chair. The water at the beach was OK to go into within the swimming area, but I think this was the wrong time of the year to snorkel out. The current and riptides were very strong. The room was very roomy and VERY clean. The staff (room, bar, restaurant, etc....) were absolutely fabulous. Very helpful and also had a smile..... The only negative was the food. Very bland buffet, but they always had "American"staples of hot dogs hamburger and fries if you did not want to venture. The food could have been better, but other than that great holiday spot.......

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar once again and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are truly glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and you liked the rooms, the beach and the service provided by our Staff. We love to receive these kind of comments since provide a great motivational tool for out Staff, and of course they also help us identify weak areas.

The Chef and his Staff would like to thank you for your feedback and be sure that it will be taken into consideration for our service.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again our amazing service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!