“Iberostar is just that a star”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg
“Iberostar is just that a star”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I went with my 19 yr old daughter. The service was very good, minor exeptions. Even though we called the night before our departure for a bellboy as directed by the resort, he never showed up, so we had to lug our luggage. Not really a big deal, didn't want to be late and enjoyed the last few minutes of sunshine. The room was nice, beds weren't the best (very firm) but I've travelled to resorts alot and all the beds are the same. The cleaning staff was great everyday.
The locations was good, as I've stated, I've travelled there alot and some resorts are a far drive about 2 hours for some. This time I made sure to book a hotel closer to Cancun airport and the drive was only half hour which also made the excursion closer.
We went to Xel-Ha and it was a fabulous day, it was a good price $100 for the park and if you wanted to interact with the dolphins for 1 hour that was and extra $70 but very well worth it. The park was full of fun activities like zip lining, rope climbing, cliff jumping circuits (kind of like the on the show Survivor, challenges. Many places to rest and good food. The water was warm.
We also went to Coba included: 4 ziplines, then short drive to 2nd place, repelling and swimming in a natural cenote (deep sink hole), then another short drive to the ruins. That was neat to see because it's been added as one of the seven wonders, but not to interesting if your not into that.
The resort was very well layed out and easy to find your way around (others I've been at were very confusing. The buffet was good, but not as big of variety as other resorts, still very good food. You never go hungry because something is always open, snack bars.
There were alot of different pools, kids, adult only quiet pools and the main pool that included activities like, dance lessons, aqua excersise.
The weather, well no one can control, I looked at the forecast before I left and it said rain for the whole week which was a bummer. But pleasant sureprise, it rained the day we got there which was late anyway and beautiful hot sunny skies the rest of our stay. So don't believe the weather forecasts (they are usually wrong where I live too).
The beach was very windy but water was warm and there were peddlers (people bothering you, trying to sell you stuff). So we mainly stayed at the pools (no wind).
Bars were good service, staff was great, drinks were good. This is the good place for family (lots for kids) and adults.1st time I've been that I'd return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank mauiisheaven
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management of the Hotel Iberostar Paraiso del Mar we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your vacation.

We appreciate your sharing your opinion with other travelers. This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily. We apologize for the inconvenience at the time of your check out; we have shared your comments with the Front Desk manager.

We are happy to know that you would return to our Hotel, if this is the case, we would be looking forward to your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We went in Sept. 2013 for our 4th trip to this resort. We keep coming back due to the total care we get. The staff, the food, the pool, the beach, its all fantastic, plus being an all inclusive. The lobby is absolutely beautiful. There are 5 hotels in this one resort and the higher in price you go up the less Mexican it feels. So we stay at Pariso del Mar for everything great. All I can finish with is we will return for our 5th visit.

Room Tip: The buildings are listed by number from the beach back to the lobby. This last trip was in building...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank papa44
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar again for your vacations in Riviera Maya.

We are glad to know you enjoyed once again your stay with us. It is important for us your highlight of the services, food and grounds we have to offer and that you prefer the Mexican environment of our resort.

It is lovely to know you are already thinking of returning for the 5th time, we will be more than glad to pamper you again in your next trip to Mexico.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed Dec. 14-21. The resort was stunning. I loved how the animals, especially the peacocks. Beautiful grounds, and great beach. The pools could have been cleaner but it is probably hard to keep clean since the pools are so big. I would recommend waking up early and setting up your towel and shirts on the spot you want because passed 9am all the good spots are taken, especially in the "quiet area" which has the comfortable chairs. I stayed in the 1300 building. We were on the first floor and it rained a ton while we were there but had no problems with water coming in, or mold, or anything. The room was a very good size. After reading reviews before I left I was worried about how far the lobby would be, but come on people, it is not a bad walk at all. After all-you-can eat and drink I wouldn't have minded if it were even further. The food was ok, nothing special. I would recommend eating at the taco bar in the shopping center instead of the buffet for lunch, at least once. I would also recommend whenever you order a drink to ask for the brand of liquor you have heard of, in my case Bacardi. I would say my biggest complaint was the night life. The shows were really boring, and the disco only played repetitive techno music. Never went back to the disco after the first night. I would have liked the here some 80s, 90s, hip-hop, anything but techno!! The only other thing I would warn people is that the closest city, Playa del Carmen is at least 30 minutes drive. That means excursions were even further for the most part. Also, the beach had jetskis but the owners decided every day they weren't going to rent them out. What the heck was the point of him sitting there every day? It was beyond annoying and I wish the resort would not let them get our hopes up for jetskiing. Overall, great resort and great people. I probably would not return to this resort based on the location but I would certainly book another Iberostar resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations.

We are more than glad to know that your stay met your expectations in most aspects of the resort and that you were satisfied with the rooms, food, services, facilities and the paradisiacal environment we offer at Iberostar.

We regret to know that the evening Shows at the Theatre were not what you expected and that you found the Night Club’s music to be repetitive. We try to play different music that varies at different points of the evening, and at different days, however, we have forwarded your feedback to the Animation Manager to review this with the DJs.

We apologize if the jetskis were not available during your stay; as your safety is our main concern, and that of the external companies we work with, if the weather and specifically the ocean is rough, it is safer not to go out with them, to avoid accidents. Thank you for your feedback regarding this service and in any case this will be forwarded to them.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again another vacation with us.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We just got back from Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar and had a good time. I will provide brief feedback that I hope is helpful for others who will be staying here or thinking of staying at this resort. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay!

Positives: resort is beautiful and very well kept, pools were clean and very big, workers are all very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you, activities were fun and Star Friends made sure you got involved, rooms are nice and clean (room cleaners did a great job), most restaurants were good to very good, buffet was good, bar drinks were good at pools, with better (higher-end options) in lobby bar. Great for kids with plenty to do. Ice cream bar was a nice feature, both at the pool and beach bars!

Negatives: Hotel reservations were a pain...only 2 reservations available for our 6-night stay, but we were able to add 2 more nights through checking daily for cancellations and complaining. Towels were easy to get, but you had to make sure to not lose yours or have it taken or you lose your Towel Card which costs you $10 at end of the week (or so we were told). Pool chairs with sun availability throughout the day were limited and gone quickly (but we had a party of 13, so a smaller group would not have same issue). Beaches were packed and even though cleaned daily were still really dirty down by the water. Pool side bars were consistently out of higher end liquor and the difference between bacardi and ronrico rum is significant,

This seems like a lot of negatives, but really wasn't bad. We are not complainers and understand the value of the resort vs. what we paid was well worth it. I just wanted to let everyone know the good and bad of our trip, which will vary for everyone who goes. My recommendations: tip workers frequently and they will take care of you...nothing huge, but a $1 or so for a round of drinks is much appreciated and $5 for dinner seemed to be the norm. If you have a large group, get your towels early and try and grab a spot at the pool as they fill up fast. Resort is large and you will walk alot, but shuttles were readily available and we never had an issue if we didn't want to walk (I agree with other reviews that you want to stay in buildings 12-16 in the middle to lessen the amount of walking). I don't know recommendations I have for the reservations. We got our 2 nights when we first checked in and then were on the waiting list for other nights. Not a big deal for a couple or small group, but was for a group of 13 with kids ranging from 7 > 19. I realize this is status quo for all-inclusives, but we stayed at Now Saphire last year and reservations were available for every night and it was a nice option. As far as the restaurants, I would rate them as follows (for the 4 we were able to eat at): 1) Brazilian 2) Italian 3) Mexican 4) Mediterranean. I have read other reviews that the Mediterranean was the best, but my wife had a bad experience and it put a bad spin on the overall meal. As mentioned, the buffets (bfast, lunch and dinner) were good, not great. Some food was very fresh, others not as much. Variety was pretty good each night. We really enjoyed the grill buffet at the beach. The food was always fresh and cooked well.

Hopefully this helpful for others. Again, this is intended as an FYI only and by no means is to say this not a great resort or that you won't have a great time. Hopefully the feedback I have provided will help you with the decisions you make for your stay!

Room Tip: choose a building near the center of the resort. Buildings #12 > 16 seem to cover this best. 12...
3 Thank Mike V
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff from Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

It is great to know you had an amazing experience at our Hotel and that you highlight the different services, food and restaurants, facilities and also the warm service from our Staff.

We regret to know you experienced some downsides during your stay. As per the reservations we guarantee a limited number of reservations depending on the length of your stay, however as you rightly said, depending on availability we can offer some extra reservations. We are glad to know you had the opportunity to enjoy 4 different restaurants, your feedback of the buffets and Mediterranean restaurant will be forwarded to the Head Chef.

We have a train and a trolley providing transportation to our guests around the premises, they work during the mornings and the afternoons. We apologize if you found this service to be slow; we will inform the management to take your feedback into consideration.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future or in your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I go to Mexico or Dominican Republic on vacations 2-3 times a year. This resort was definitely one of my favorite. Food was great for an all inclusive resort. Staff was good and entertainment team was AMAZING. Every day there were different fun games or activities to do on the beach or by the pool. Yeya and Cesar are great and definitely love and enjoy their job.
I am definitely coming back to this resort.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gelikman
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations.

We are truly glad to know that you had an amazing time with us and enjoyed the service of our Staff, our grounds, food and paradisiacal environment. We will show all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention, as your compliments are very motivational.

It is great to know that you would like to return! We are already looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Carver, Minnesota
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and I just got back after staying from Dec 14-21. Stayed in a room in the 1400 building. Room was nice, clean, and the cleaning staff did an excellent job of keeping it that way and stocking what was needed. We typed the cleaning staff daily. The only complaint about our room would be thaticewe were on the second floor and close to the ice machine which I believe is the only machine in the building meaning every time someone got, we heard it at all hours of the night. The grounds are well kept and they were grooming the grounds daily to keep it nice. Found most of the staff to be very pleasant and attentive, however a few could work towards some improvement in hospitality. The pools are amazing, clean and very refreshing. Only complaint here is that the whirlpool was not heated, (at least the one under the waterfall area) so that was disappointing. The food, like others have said is basically the same every day, but there are plenty of choices and most of the food was fairly good.

We had the Mexican, steakhouse, and Japanese specialty dining and the first two were very good. The Japanese was a huge disappointment. Our chef was a young female who I don't think was a chef. One of the two grills was not ready, (there were only six people at our table for our 9 pm reservation) so or chef basically prepared or food with her back to us the while time. No show of flipping knives, food, the typical things you conversation after she introduced herself. She never even asked anyone how they wanted their steak prepared. No shrimp sauce or steak sauce like in the US hibachi places I have been. The other tables chefs were doing the typical show and the guests were clapping and having a great time. Angel was our server and he was great and even had another chef come over after ours had left the table, to put on a little show for us.

The only other downside I found was in one of the excursions we did, Xichen Itza. Thus is not fault of the resort, but we booked this through or Apple rep and when the day came, we hopped on the bus. Problem here is that the tour is all day, because you will spend about 6-7 hours on the bus. The tour itself is decent with stop at the ruins, a lunch at a nice local restaurant, and a stop at a cenote. Just too much time traveling on a bus for the length of the actual tour.

It amazes me how many people do not tip even a little something to the drivers, servers, bartenders, etc. Maybe these are the people who felt they got bad service. Every order of drinks, and yes even poolside, we tipped usually $1 or so and it was obviously greatly appreciated by the staff. Geraldo at the poolside bar kept the drinks coming, many times without us even having to ask.

The beach is very well groomed, with nice white sand and plenty of chairs and activities. The waves coming in were fairly big so you get a workout if you stay out for a while. You do get the beach vendors but they were not overly pushy and didn't bother us if you were napping.

I would also recommend getting down to 5th Avenue area of Playa Del Carmen for shopping and some good eating.

Overall, I would rate this a 4 out 5. We would stay again, just would request a room, away from the ice machine, get more info about travel time on excursions, and would expect better at the Japanese restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank mnaintsocold
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your first visit to Mexico.

We truly appreciate your amazing comments from your recent vacation at our Iberostar Paraiso del Mar. It is our pleasure to know that our facilities, services and our Staff were able to offer you an unforgettable vacation.

The Executive Chef is now aware of the feedback from the Japanese restaurant; they will take the necessary measures to offer the quality our guests deserve. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again a great vacation.

Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is a great place to unwind, LOTs of places to walk / run. Free Yoga, water aerobics, dance lessons and many other sports things going on through the day…there is also a gym for an additional charge. The pool runs the length of the resort, which is huge. There are many reasonably priced activities to enjoy also on the resort. The beach is wonderful, clean, white sand with many chairs, only thing was the waves/current were really hard/rough. The rooms were a little dated but clean and nice. The restaurants that required a reservation were fantastic. The buffets were nice but the food seemed to be the same every day. The waiters /waitress, bartenders and house keepers were excellent.

Room Tip: If you have any problems walking, request a room in the middle of the resort, everywhere you go you...
2 Thank Joel P
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations.

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know that the general impression of the Hotel and our service was great. It is important for us to know your feedback since provides us the best tool for our improvement.

We have forwarded your feedback about restaurants to our head Chef and his Staff for their consideration.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again a fantastic stay with us in the Riviera Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#75 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#40 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!