My wife and I just got back after staying from Dec 14-21. Stayed in a room in the 1400 building. Room was nice, clean, and the cleaning staff did an excellent job of keeping it that way and stocking what was needed. We typed the cleaning staff daily. The only complaint about our room would be thaticewe were on the second floor and close to the ice machine which I believe is the only machine in the building meaning every time someone got, we heard it at all hours of the night. The grounds are well kept and they were grooming the grounds daily to keep it nice. Found most of the staff to be very pleasant and attentive, however a few could work towards some improvement in hospitality. The pools are amazing, clean and very refreshing. Only complaint here is that the whirlpool was not heated, (at least the one under the waterfall area) so that was disappointing. The food, like others have said is basically the same every day, but there are plenty of choices and most of the food was fairly good.
We had the Mexican, steakhouse, and Japanese specialty dining and the first two were very good. The Japanese was a huge disappointment. Our chef was a young female who I don't think was a chef. One of the two grills was not ready, (there were only six people at our table for our 9 pm reservation) so or chef basically prepared or food with her back to us the while time. No show of flipping knives, food, the typical things you conversation after she introduced herself. She never even asked anyone how they wanted their steak prepared. No shrimp sauce or steak sauce like in the US hibachi places I have been. The other tables chefs were doing the typical show and the guests were clapping and having a great time. Angel was our server and he was great and even had another chef come over after ours had left the table, to put on a little show for us.
The only other downside I found was in one of the excursions we did, Xichen Itza. Thus is not fault of the resort, but we booked this through or Apple rep and when the day came, we hopped on the bus. Problem here is that the tour is all day, because you will spend about 6-7 hours on the bus. The tour itself is decent with stop at the ruins, a lunch at a nice local restaurant, and a stop at a cenote. Just too much time traveling on a bus for the length of the actual tour.
It amazes me how many people do not tip even a little something to the drivers, servers, bartenders, etc. Maybe these are the people who felt they got bad service. Every order of drinks, and yes even poolside, we tipped usually $1 or so and it was obviously greatly appreciated by the staff. Geraldo at the poolside bar kept the drinks coming, many times without us even having to ask.
The beach is very well groomed, with nice white sand and plenty of chairs and activities. The waves coming in were fairly big so you get a workout if you stay out for a while. You do get the beach vendors but they were not overly pushy and didn't bother us if you were napping.
I would also recommend getting down to 5th Avenue area of Playa Del Carmen for shopping and some good eating.
Overall, I would rate this a 4 out 5. We would stay again, just would request a room, away from the ice machine, get more info about travel time on excursions, and would expect better at the Japanese restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Directly on the beach of "Playa Paraíso" (Mexico). High standard of comfort. Wide gastronomic variety. 18-hole golf course. PAD/SSI – diving school, massage at the beach and the pool. Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Visit Us Inc., Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar Hotel Playa Paraiso
- Iberostar Playa Paraiso
- Iberostar Hotel Playa Paraiso
- Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar Mexico
- IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico