“Great Place to Unwind "Wonderful"”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Great Place to Unwind "Wonderful"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is a great place to unwind, LOTs of places to walk / run. Free Yoga, water aerobics, dance lessons and many other sports things going on through the day…there is also a gym for an additional charge. The pool runs the length of the resort, which is huge. There are many reasonably priced activities to enjoy also on the resort. The beach is wonderful, clean, white sand with many chairs, only thing was the waves/current were really hard/rough. The rooms were a little dated but clean and nice. The restaurants that required a reservation were fantastic. The buffets were nice but the food seemed to be the same every day. The waiters /waitress, bartenders and house keepers were excellent.

Room Tip: If you have any problems walking, request a room in the middle of the resort, everywhere you go you...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Joel P
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations.

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know that the general impression of the Hotel and our service was great. It is important for us to know your feedback since provides us the best tool for our improvement.

We have forwarded your feedback about restaurants to our head Chef and his Staff for their consideration.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again a fantastic stay with us in the Riviera Maya.

Truly yours,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Buffalo Grove, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We've made many trips to many Iberostar resorts. This is one of our favorites. From Maria, our housekeeper, to Jacinto in the buffet (ask to be seated in his area if you go) to Victor and Luis at the pool bars, our thanks. The beach buffets could use a little changing it up; always the same food almost every day in both buffets, but that's my only complaint. Also, it would be nice if they made "real" guacamole--not pulverizing it in a food processor. They have also put padding on the beds to make them more "Americanized". I don't know, however, why more people don't tip these hard-working people. You would do it at home-why not here? Only thing that went wrong was I was not able to see the white peacock show her feathers before I left!! But our good friends sent me a wonderful picture because, of course, she did it after I left!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suejnml
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us once again for your vacations in Mexico.

We are truly glad to know that you had an amazing time with us and enjoyed the friendly service of our Staff. We will show all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention, as your compliments are very motivational.

Thanks to the feedback from our guests we have improved and keep improving services, we will inform the Head Chef your feedback regarding the guacamole and the variety at the buffets. He will take your comments into consideration.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again a fantastic stay with us.

Regards,

Saint Joseph, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Rooms were mostly clean. Lamp shades had cobwebs on them. Left $5 tip on lamp shade bar and they did not see it. King size bed was comfortable. Fridge in room was nice. Daniel was great at restaurant.

Room Tip: Room on bottom floor had mosquitoes. If you drink coffee, leave empty package on counter so they wil...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rob P
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations.

We are glad you took the time to share your comments and feedback with us online. It is nice to know you enjoyed your vacation with us.

We apologize for the inconveniences with the cleaning of the room; we have advised our Housekeeping Manager to take the necessary actions since this is not part of the Iberostar standards.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again the grounds, facilities and service of excellence we are proud to offer at Iberostar.

ottumwa, iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We normally shy away from large resort complexes but had a hunch we would love this hotel. Everything about the hotel is well maintained and clean. Buffet selections were varied enough that we ate in the buffets solely except one night we ate in the Brazillian restaurant. That was excellent! The manager of The Dorado, Yumahi Lozada has done very well running this specialty restaurant. The pool is very clean and has plenty of servers to keep you hydrated.
The grounds are beautiful with plenty of wildlife. I would visit this resort again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room somewhere in the middle halfway between the beach and the lobby
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mark_and_bev
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations.

We are truly glad to know you had an amazing experience and you enjoyed your vacations completely. We love to receive these comments since it keeps us motivated to keep offering the service we are proud of at Iberostar.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to Yumahi, our employees make our hotel stand out and at the end they are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future.

We hope to welcome you back again to our Iberostar and enjoy the Riviera Maya once again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Mexico and stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Oct 25-30 with my two brothers and my sister in law. My brother and his wife wanted to renew their vows on the beach, my other brother served as the officiant, and my husband and I were the "witnesses." They didn't do anything with the hotel for the renewal other than hire the hotel photographer - they wanted something simple, and if they would have used some of the services the hotel offered they would have paid a ton of money. So, we just did it ourselves and it was great.

When we got there it was raining so we were bummed, but we loved the hotel. The staff was so nice to us and pretty accommodating. The second day it was still raining... it was such a bummer, but we decided to get ponchos and go to Tulum. Our Apple rep didn't really suggest we go to Tulum that day since it was raining, but we didn't care.. and I'm glad we went! We rented a car and drove ourselves to Tulum - honestly, it was so easy. You just get on the highway and go straight and you eventually reach Tulum. If you decide to take yourselves there, though, be careful when parking. Some guy wanted to park our car for us, and were like umm, no. So we kept driving towards Tulum and found where the big tour buses parked and thats where we parked - It wasn't too expensive. Then, we bought our tickets and walked ourselves around Tulum! It was so cool to see. And the best part about it was, it was perfect weather there - wasn't too hot and it wasn't raining!

The next day we were able to go to the beach and man it was nice. The water was rough from storms on the other side of Mexico and out in the sea, but that actually made it fun. There are some rocks in the ocean, so be careful, but you can see where they are and avoid them for the most part. The beach bar was great - one of the bartenders made AWESOME mojitos (we got doubles) and they were strong and delicious. Perfect beach drink. I'm an early bird when I'm on vacation -I like to spend as much time on the beach as possible, so I would always get up and go get our spot on the beach. I never had any issues, and even in the afternoon there were spots open.

The restaurant were good. The Hibachi chef we had was pretty much the best I've seen at any hibachi place. It was great. the buffets were good - what we liked about it was there was always mexican dishes that we enjoyed. The steak and lobster at the other restaurant was amazing. I think we went to the other steak house, too, and that was good. Hands down, though, the best place to get food is the Taco stand in the shopping area. So. Freakin. Good. If you go to this resort make sure you visit the taco place!!

The club was funny at first, but once you got in and there were more people in there, we had a good time dancing all night. It was nice to have the late night snack places open too. We also ordered room service a couple of times which was good.

The rooms were fine - nothing great, but hey, you're on vacation and does it really matter? you're never in your room if the weather is nice!! They were always clean, the fridge always restocked etc. It was great. We didnt have any problems with bugs or anything.

The resort itself is beautiful - so much wonderful landscaping and flowers and they really work hard to maintain it. Some people got annoyed at the coati's, but we thought they were awesome! They totally let you get close (if you're brave enough -- and after a few double mojitos, i definitely was!), and they're so cute. Also on the beach, check out the hammocks. Nice to relax and have fun! The only thing I didn't like was the walking.. holy mother of god the walking! It's a pretty big resort, and at first we didn't care, but after a while we got tired so we tried to catch the carts that go by and pick people up. Definitely suggest just bringing flats - it was hard to walk in heels!

I have to thank the staff at the resort for one night in particular. After being at the pool (which was fun, and HUGE), we left to go take a shower. My brother was right behind us and we all knew when our dinner reservations were, but he didn't show up. We called his room so many times and there was no answer, so we ate dinner and then tried again later to find him. We knocked on his door, and he wasn't answering. So after a while of looking for him and calling him, we were starting to worry. The staff was super helpful. after we showed them ID and told them what rooms we were all in and they saw that we came together, they called security and they escorted us to his room. They told us that he wouldnt be at the pool or on the beach because they walk along the resort after the sun goes down to make sure that no one is left there (sleeping/drunk/etc.) and take them back to their rooms to be safe. So, they were going to open the door for us if he didnt answer. we knocked in front of the security guy, and FINALLY my brother answered! but, he was going to let us in because we were concerned. It was great of the staff to do that... and then we wanted to kill my brother for making us worry!

Overall, we had such a great time. No problems at all, great food and yummy drinks, and awesome people! We didn't want it to end! We would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank melissa a
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We are more than glad to know that your recent experience was great and that you took the time to share your review with us on Trip Advisor. It is fantastic to know that this special occasion was great and you and your family enjoyed the different services, facilities and the service provided by our caring Staff.

It is great to know that you will return to our Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we are looking forward to your next visit to pamper you again.

Truly yours,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We just came back from our vacation. We stayed in the hotel Dec.7- Dec. 14. The hotel is beautiful and has great service everywhere. We were in building 18 and had short walking distance everywhere. Everything is closed beach, pools, restaurants, walking distances are short and very refreshing. The hotel was always very clean with wonderful service from all the people working there. The restaurants had lots of tasty food. Everyone could find something good to eat and drink. Our kids enjoyed Kids club which had lots of great activities for kids. Thank you to Marilyn, Alejandra and all the other teachers. The kids’ musical "Grease" was fantastic. Beach is very clean and there are lots of different sport activities for everyone throughout the day. Each evening there was a different show. The shows were great. All the performances were very spectacular with great costumes. We had lots of fun playing Bingo and watching funny contests each evening prior to the show. Big thank you to Yeya, Dario, Edu and everyone else involved in creating such a great atmosphere in the resort.
We will definitely recommend this hotel to everyone and will come back in the future. Thank you for making our stay so memorable. Great Hotel !!!!! with fantastic people working in there :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Monika S
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your visit to Mexico.

It is great to know you had an amazing experience at our Hotel and that you highlight the facilities and also the outstanding service from these particular people you have mentioned.

We are sincerely happy to know we offered you a memorable experience and we truly hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again a great time with us.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just returned from a week-long trip to this resort - December 10-16th) and while the weather wasn't perfect, we had a great time. The rooms are a bit outdated but you really don't spend much time in there anyway. Also there are only 3 English speaking channels on TV so forget about any news about what is going on in the world. Internet is available - at a cost - which I paid $40 for 6 days so that I did not have to use my data plan. I thought that was a worthwhile fee to pay. Pool was lovely and lots of beautiful animals milling around. I would caution that the lemur (looks like an ant-eater) are not shy and to be careful if you have food. I was eating an ice cream cone while at the pool and reading on my Kindle - one snuck up behind me and I believe it was trying to steal my cone. We did watch as one jumped on to one of the pool beds while a woman was sleeping on it and stole a roll off of a plate she had next to her. There really is a reason they have signs to not take food outside of the restaurants.

I agree with the other review that the Europeans are quite obnoxious about 'their space' and are not going to move out of your way, will cut in front of you in the food line - or any other line, and are generally just not friendly. There were many more Europeans at this resort than at any other I have ever stayed at and I believe that is because Iberostar is a European company. Even when I mentioned what they were doing wrong they never seemed to care.

There is a lot of walking with this resort so make sure to bring some comfortable shoes. I really wish I had because my feet and legs are a bit sore - and I'm in pretty good shape!

Definitely take the shuttle in to Playa and go shopping on 5th Avenue. Stop at Zenzis on the beach for a drink or take your suits and spend the day. The beach there was much less wavy than what we had at the Del Mar resort. Don't ever take the first price that they offer you in any shop - cut in half and work from there. Do NOT fall for the "hey, I was your bartender last night" line either. They look at your bracelets and try to suck you in.

Eduardo, 'Big D' (Demetrio) and Jorge at the Lobby Bar are totally awesome. They will make sure you have a great time and be sure to have Big D make you a 'Tequila Slammer' shot - they are delish and an experience!

We had all the lights on around the resort for our trip and it was beautiful. However, the 'Santa Claus' decorations were a bit scary. ha ha

Overall, it was a great trip and I would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: If you like both the beach/pool and want to have drinks in the lobby bar or do many excursions then...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank BfloGirl32
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations.

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We are truly glad to know that you had an amazing time with us and enjoyed the service of our Staff. This is important to us since it provides us with a great tool for our improvement and plenty of motivation for our staff to keep offering the service we are proud of at Iberostar.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again an amazing vacation with us in the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,918 reviews

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!