“SO-SO”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Ramon, California
“SO-SO”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed 2 weeks from July 6 - 20. We are a family of 4 kids age 6 and 7.

The positives: The entertainment staff was the best ever ! I have been to many AI and they were the best entertainment staff we have ever encountered. Ismael, Monze, Lester and the main announcer from Dominica Republic worked so hard to keep all the guests entertained and happy. Without the Star Friends I would have given this hotel 1 star. Lilly in the kids club was excellent also. She really cares about the well-being of your kids. My kids adored her ! We picked this hotel because of all the activities that they had to offer and they definitely kept us busy all day and night! We never had a dull moment ! We played Bocce ball, volleyball, soccer, water polo, zumba , yoga , archery and even fired guns ! The beach is beautiful and we always found empty chairs to relax !

The negatives: We all had stomach issues ! My son didnt want to eat for 2 weeks and he basically only ate bread and butter. I woke up every morning with diarrhea ! I have been to Mexico so many times and this is a first for me to get sick basically every time I ate ! Sorry to be so graphic but it was IN AND OUT for me ! We asked the concierge how do we get to Playa Del Carmen from the hotel and her reply was " I don't know !" We then asked her for a map and she said they dont have any maps ! So not sure what the concierge are they for but they dont know how to get to the town that is only 15 minutes down the road. We had to get up everyday at 630 am in order to get a spot at the pool ! We then had our towels stolen almost everyday and they wont give you any new towels at the pool you have to go to the lobby and sign a sheet saying why you need new towels. The lobby is very far away and it is very annoying to have to walk so far in a wet bathing suit . I guess they charge $10 for every lost towel but luckily they never charged us. Had very bad service in the Mediterranean and Brazilian ala carte resturants. I dont understand why we had to wait so long for our food to arrive and I noticed other guests that got there about 20 minutes after we did getting their food before us and even finishing their food while we were still waiting for our food . I talked to another guest and they had the same complaints in the Ala carte resturants. I was really disappointed with the service we recieved we were really treated badly in these two resturants ! I thought maybe because we are Americans and we saw the Europeans getting better treatment. Hate to say it but I really think this hotel caters to Europeans and they really treat people with color differently ! I really started to think that this hotel is prejuidice againist people with color. We went to Playa Del Carmen and had the best service ever so it isnt Mexico its this hotel. Almost forgot to mention that our shower had mold on every side and I had to clean it myself and it came off very easily which makes you question the cleanliness of your room.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel and won't be returning. It's sad that the Star Friends work so hard to keep everyone happy but just a lot of little annoying things that make this resort a 3 star. To be sick from the food just makes your vacation unenjoyable also.

1 Thank JoJo88_13
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us since it is a great tool for us to identify areas of concern and improve our service day after day.

We have already forwarded your feedback to the Star Friends and their manager highlighting their great attitude, we are sure this will keep them motivated to offer the amazing service they are used to.

We are sorry that you had stomach issues. We would like to clarify that Iberostar Hotels and Resorts work very strictly according to the internal and external hygiene regulations. Our hotel has a specific Health & Safety department which works in association with consultancy of an independent company who is in charge of verifying our hygiene procedures. According to all the test results, all procedures were done efficiently and no anomalies have been found. Doctors say that a variety of causes could be associated with their ailment such as change of climate, consumption of alcohol, or even the change of food and water type. Every human organism might react differently under the circumstances explained above.

We have already taken all your comments into consideration and forwarded them to our Staff and the people in charge of every department, including Executive Chef and Food & Beverages, to bear them in mind and take corrective actions where necessary.

Please note that at Iberostar we do not make any distinction among our guests, for us every guest is important and unique. No matter their nationality, age, sex, race or religion; it is thanks to you that we exist.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case do not hesitate to contact us in advance.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just returned from an anniversary trip with my husband. We had a great time! The resort was very clean from the rooms to the well maintained landscaping.However, one thing we noticed is that the fountains near the lobby and dining areas need to be cleaned and filtered because they were really full of algae. The staff here is very friendly and will try to help you in any way. They work very hard and long hours so make sure you tip them. That is how they make their living. The pools and beach were very clean, but make sure that you get to the pool kind of early or there won't be any seats. The food was okay. There were so many choices to choose from at the buffets. They labeled the food but sometimes it was hard to tell which label went with what dish. The buffets are open air so be prepared. The italian restaurant is also open air. If you want air conditioning while eating, you need to go to the specialty restaurants. The Mediterranean and Italian restaurant were very good. Make your reservations for these restaurants as soon as you arrive at the resort or you won't get any. Bring your bug spray if you are sensitive to bugs because there are so many plants and trees. I didn't think it was bad but my husband had to have spray on every evening. The shows at night are pretty good. The resort is very big, but we didn't mind walking. We stayed in the first building near the lobby and it took us about 10 minutes to walk to the pool and beach. Overall we had a great time and would go again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We appreciate you sharing this special occasion with us. Your review provides us with important information regarding our service and facilities. Thank you for remarking the cleanliness of the rooms and the maintenance of our grounds and areas.

We have already forwarded your comments to the Staff and the people in charge of every department to inform them your feedback, the maintenance manager will take your comments into consideration.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again in the near future for another great vacation; if this is the case please do not hesitate to contact us.

Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have stayed in another Iberostar hotel in Cuba, I think Iberostar knows what they are doing, both hotels were kept clean and service was excellent. Our stay in Mexico was great, the service at the hotel, the food, the pool, the beach, it was excellent. My kids (10 and 12) really enjoyed themselves. It felt safe. I would recommend this hotel this hotel to anyone with kids or without. The ONLY thing that was a minus was the large amounts of Mosquitos, but if you can have OFF!! as your cologne or perfume for the week you are gonna be ok.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Clients,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is always fantastic to receive comments like yours since they are the best tool to identify areas of concern, improve our services and to motivate our Staff to keep offering an excellent service to all our guests.

Thank you for your mention about the great job the Staff does every day and also the quality of the food, pools, beach and our grounds.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your family in the near future; if this is the case do not hesitate to contact us.

New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just came back from a wonderful vacation stay with my family in Iberostar
in Riviera Maya. Staff were wonderful. Buffet was ok, restaurants were excellent!
Rooms were great, clean and good size (we stayed in junior suite bldg 11). Beach and pools were awesome. Staff cleaning premises 24x7 (even cleaning send of beach walk). The great part are all entertainment crew (Star Friends) and young lady who is in
charge of kids club. She is very good with kids and speaks many languages.. Over-all an excellent vacation stay for us. Thanks Iberostar and your staff !!

2 Thank Alv-NYC
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Clients,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay at Iberostar and for your lovely words about our resort and our staff.

We have already shared your comments with our Staff, especially from de Kids Club, so they can feel motivated by your kind words.

We are very happy to know that you had such a great time and were happy with our restaurants.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel on your next visit to Riviera Maya.

North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Awesome! The Bomb! I read all the reviews before going and was a little concerned about the negative ones. We stayed at Paraiso del Mar and my family had a terrific time! The food was outstanding and the service even better. We went during the July fourth Holiday for 8 full days and the resort was 100% full. I had no issues with lines or reservations at the specialty restaurants. The only thing that was negative is the booze, but this is generic in all inclusive resorts. The booze gets you buzzed to a certain point and that’s it! One night, I had 7 shots of tequila and was able to recite the alphabet backwards! They supposedly have premium liquor at the main lobby bar, but I didn’t really notice any enhanced potency. In hindsight, I think that if you gave everyone real alcohol, there be much barfing and fighting! If you are a discriminating alcoholic like me? Pack a flask and get duty free Scotch, Vodka and Rum to keep in your room. The pool was the best! I loved the swim up bars and the Tiki huts for your lounge chairs. The grounds were very beautiful and had Coatis, Iguanas, Swans and Peacocks freely walking about. Be prepared to walk! This place is huge and has many things going on every day. I barely saw my kid the entire vacation because he was so busy. The staff was so nice and work very hard. Bring plenty of singles to tip them, they really deserve it! If you can get a reasonable upgrade to Paraiso Lindo, take it! Nicer rooms and real nice swim up bar with a cave like canopy. I feeI I got great “bang for the buck!” The guests were a mix of Americans, Canadians, Eastern Europeans and Mexicans. The E. European middle aged men favor tight speedos (ugh!) What are these guys thinking? The management took customer feedback very serious and was insistent about us completing a survey. The people that complained about this place are unhappy souls that would do best by staying home! Some people you can never please and will always find something to complain about. HAPPY TRAVELS!

Room Tip: Request a room in the middle of the resort around the 1500s on the first floor. this will give yo be...
4 Thank Douglas L
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management team we would like to thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with us!

Your feedback provides a very important insight of your stay and helps us improve day after day our services and facilities.

We are very happy that you highlighted the outstanding service and the delicious food you had at the premises of our Hotel, we have shared your comments with our Staff and the people in charge of every department to inform them about your nice experience.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back to our resort so that you can enjoy again an amazing vacation; if this is the case, do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival with any requests you may have.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and the staff very helpful. They went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. Everything was all-inclusive, so family and I didn't have to worry about leaving the resort-though we could if we wanted.
The entertainment staff was very fun! Edu, Monce, Gama, Benito, Josh-all so much excitement! Couldn't help but get up and dance with them! There was always something going on to keep us entertained. Just wish I had more cash to tip everyone!
I do recommend LOTS of bug repellant and anti-itch creams. The mosquitoes were crazy! And the humidity was very high too. Had to shower at least twice a day! Luckily showers were nice.
All in all, a week was just not long enough. Family and I didn't want to leave! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf the Management and all the staff of the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar we would like to send you our warmest appreciations for choosing to be guests here.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out. We will forward all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention; the best reward that we can have is your compliments.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our resort sometime in the near future.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel was a great choice for our family. The rooms were comfortable. The grounds are beautifully maintained and expensive. The food is diverse and the staff is wonderful. Plus, there is always something to do! We loved that they post all the activities for the entire week in the front lobby and by the pools. This allowed us to pick and choose which ones we wanted to do and plan our day. We tried scuba diving, salsa dancing, pool boot camp, Zumba, volleyball, soccer, pool games, and a bike ride. And those are free activities. We also loved the nightly shows. Our first night there we saw a magician who was absolutely amazing. The following shows were full of music and dancing. One night was a 70's Disco Theme, another was a Vegas Theme, and then even a Disney Theme. And all of the shows were appropriate and entertaining for kids and grown ups alike. The beach was also one of our favourites about this hotel. We were always able to find some chairs no matter what time of day we went. And since they have a bar and grill right there on the beach, you can stay there all day of you wish. We had an absolutely wonderful time at this hotel and will certainly go back.

4 Thank Tortuga2412
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback and your incredible experience with us; it provides us with the best reward to our efforts and daily work.

Thank you for highlighting our services, facilities and most of all the service provided by our Staff, especially our Entertainment staff, who work tirelessly to make your holiday very special and fun.

We are all committed to delivering wonderful experiences to our guests and this motivates us to keep on the same track. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!