“Can't beat it for the price. However...”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Lakewood, Ohio
“Can't beat it for the price. However...”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed at the Del Mar from May 11-18 with 5 friends in the age range of late 20s/early 30s.

The grounds:

Immaculate and breathtaking. Definitely worth taking as many pictures as possible of the wildlife and scenic views. Very very clean. Do not feed the animals. And bring some OFF to avoid late night bugs....because they def. bite.

The rooms:

A friend and I stayed in 1526 which was close to the pool on the second floor. Two "queen" beds, a descent sized patio, etc. The room was clean and the maid(s) did a great job daily of restocking the mini fridge, making a few cool towel animals, providing an ample amount of towels, and cleaning the floor which was usually covered in sand. The shower however was a shower/tub combo. There is not a shower head but rather a hose that shoots out the water. Also, there was not a curtain of door so descent chance you could get water on the bathroom floor. This may have to do with having queen beds. The other two rooms reserved had king beds with a shower and no tub.

The pool:

We hung out mostly by the pool bars which was clean and always attended to. Never saw plastic cups or cigarette butts hanging around. If you swim towards the water falls, the pool does get dirtier at there are most trees and bushes and the leaves commonly fall or blow into the water. Water was very warm and relaxing as well as huge. Never had a problem finding a group of beach chairs.

The beach:

Again, very clean and clear and pristine. Had drink service the one day on the beach which was really nice. Just tip...and they will keep coming back over and over. It was easy to find beach chairs as well.

Star Friends:

This is what I liked best about the resort. The Star Friends are the ones who plan and put on the daily activities. They are goofy, social, and make sure that everyone is having a good time. Between out group, some of us did archery, rifle shooting, soccer, volleyball, beach games, biking, yoga, boccie, etc. They men/women who put on the games are hilarious and I recommend trying at least one game or two so they learn your name. Many of the same people who do the beach/pool activities also perform in the shows as night. These people work and sweat their butts off. Special shout out to Edu and Ishmael who provided the best entertainment and jokes. Also saw the Magic show the one night which was not bad at all. It serves its purpose.

The Drinks:

The best booze is at the lobby bars which is where we ended up every night. I actually liked the drinks at the pool. The bartenders will make whatever you want. If they don't put enough liquor in your drinks, then you ask them to "top it off" and they will pour more on top of the drink. No reason to complain about that. The mojitos are fabulous as they have tons of fresh mint available. I also liked how the restaurants and lobby bars had espressos....some times you need a pep at night or in the AM. The only beer we can find on draft was Dos Equis which we soon nicknamed to Dos Sickeees. Pool bar tequila is bottom shelf so just drink more of it. A lot of people also brought their own drinking mugs and tumblers and the bartenders filled them willingly.

The food:

This is the only reason I rated the resort a 4 instead of a 5. The breakfast buffets were the best out of all the buffets although how can you screw . I guess I was just sick of buffets 2-3 times a day for 4 days. I had the lunch buffet once which was a smaller version of the dinner buffet. Most of my mid day food came from the beach buffet which was good enough to coat my stomach to allow more alcohol. The dinner buffets were not that extravagant plus food was hardly labeled. A lot of the meats were also really tough on the buffets. Room service was plentiful but it is the same quality of what sits under the heat lamps at the buffet.

The specialty restaurants were pretty good however many of the meats at the Brazilian were flavorless. Id rate it a 5/6 out of a 10. The Japanese and Steakhouses were the best so I gave them a 7/8 out of a 010. My favorite was the Japanese. It is mostly for show however the sushi, miso soup, and stir fry of shrimp, chicken, and beef had lots of flavor. At the Steakhouse I had a tenderloin which was very good. The steakhouse also has a small salad bar with leaf lettuce, not really any veggies, some salads, and cheeses.

Shopping:

I did not buy anything on this trip. The resort has small gift shops in the lobby where a friend proceeded to pay $15 US dollars for a can of OFF...so make sure you bring your own. Also cigarettes are $9 a pack so if you smoke, bring enough to last you. One day we went to 5th Ave in downtown Playa Del Carmen. It was nice to get away from the resort however it was nothing special. Just lots of Mexicans yelling for your business and selling things you can get at the dollar store in America. My one friend bought a wooden penguin wearing a sombrero which the guy wanted $30 which we bartered for $15. The same one was then located at the shops for $4.....laugh! Cigarettes were $4 a pack so much cheaper then at the resort.

We booked through Apple Vacations at at $999 for a week with nonstop flights which is very very hard to beat. I would return because the pros outweighs the cons however I might also want to explore different resorts in the area. All in all, it was a very fun and stress free trip. The staff is amazingly friendly. I do recommend tipping here and there esp. at the bars because they definitely remember you. Again, there is also pool/beach games all day and the nightly entertainment is not bad either.

4 Thank mdm4sfest
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear guests,

On behalf of the Management and all the staff at Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. Your fabulous experience may encourage other travelers to choose us for their holiday destination.

Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will also go far in encouraging our team. Our main goal is to offer the best vacational experiences to our guests, and reading this kind of reviews make us feel extremely happy. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

Regarding our buffet, we are sorry you were not happy with the variety. We always try hard to cater to different palates and vary the menu. However we will forward your constructive comments to our Executive Chef to take into consideration.

Again, thank you for your review and kind words about our Starfriends team, definitely they will feel encouraged and motivated by these.

We hope to see you again at our resort and therefore look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
McLeansboro, IL
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful properties I have ever been to. I loved the white & black swans, flamingos, coatis and the beautiful, beautiful greenery around property. It was a gorgeous stroll walking to the lobby or the theater. The groundskeepers were super friendly.

The swim-up pool bars were always busy & a ton of fun. The bartenders work so hard, and do such a great job keeping up with everyone's orders.

Also great...the Star Friends. They had fun activities going on all day & night.

I highly recommend the massage on the beach. Wonderful spa facilities at Plaza Paraiso, too.

I did not give it a 5 star because the food was lacking. We were there for 3 nights. Only 1 day had good food at the beach BBQ. Every night at the buffet was a challenge. There were so many people darting in and out of the lines, and the food wasn't that great when you got it. Also, the wait staff were non-existent at some points. Most of the time, I got my own refills.

Also on the negative side, our rooms were just okay. Think bedspreads and linens about the quality of what you would find at a Red Roof Inn or Motel 6. However, our rooms were very clean & I loved our little mini-bar.

In summary, for a 3 night trip...it was very good. My husband & I & my parents all had a fabulous time and thought that the property & the beach were positively gorgeous!!! If we had been staying for a longer time, the food issues may have become a a real downer for us. But for a short stay...I say give this resort a try.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations, also for taking the time to post your comments about your stay.

We highly appreciate your positive comments regarding our clean rooms, our flora and fauna and our services that make our hotel stand out.

Regarding variety, we would like to clarify that our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte Restaurants, however, we already shared your feedback with him and the departments involved in order to look for improvement.

We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar resort from 5/07-05/14. We loved the resort, the open lobby, bars and restaurants, and the diversified wildlife. The buffet service was very good. There was almost no need to make Restaurant reservations. The entertainment was excellent. We loved the interactive night shows and the latin music. We had yoga and zumba on the beach. Our instructor-Gama-was very personable and a lot of fun.
The beach is wide, with beautiful white sand. The water is a beautiful turquoise.
When we arrived to Cancun, at the airport, it was a bit confusing what shuttle to take to the resort, in spite of the fact that the GOGO representative was there. The process was a bit too complicated and chaotic and it should be simplified. When we arrived at the resort, our room was ready for us, which was very nice. On the other hand, we were not excited at all to find out that we had to pay for Internet access. And yes, one needs to bring mosquito repellant spray.
To summarize, we had a very enjoyable stay and would like to go back.

Room Tip: High number rooms are closer to the main area-Lobby. Lower numbers are closer to the beach. We staye...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

It is always great to receive comments and feedback like yours since it shows us your perception of our facilities and services.

All your positive comments also motivates our Staff to keep up with the excellent job and carry on making guests feeling like home. We have already forwarded your feedback to the staff because it is always very encouraging to see that a guest appreciates your job!

Taking care of our facilities is not an easy task but we do try to keep all the areas well cleaned and maintain all our green areas suitable for our guests and wildlife.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, the Public Relations office would be more than glad to assist you.

Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Went through Apple.... If you do your research - and read before you go - you will NOT be disappointed...
This is not the Ritz - that is why you are not paying the "Ritz" price. AND yes - I have stayed at the Ritz Cancun....
There were 13 of us ages 20-54!
Transportation, Welcome, registration, room, pool, beach AND STAR EMPLOYEES ARE FANTASTIC....! Service was great - the entertainment at the pool and beach kept us belly laughing all week. If you want fun, games, music - it finds you - you will never be bored... if you want a quiet pool to read/sleep - you can EASILY find it.
Seriously - I have never met harder working employees.... every single one gave us EXCELLENT attention and service.... NEVER had to wait for a ride to our room (building 15) or to the lobby.
The START entertainment was above excellent... these folks are so much fun from morning until late at night.... loved loved loved them.
Ishmual kept us laughing all week - and the gal - was beautiful - funny and so very sweet....
I forget the other names - but EACH deserves a HUGE shout out.
Food was average - again you get what you pay for.
Drinks were average - but you tell them exactly how you want it - we got double shots - and LOVED our drinks.. the beer was good too.
Lionel - our pool bartender was there to serve - and he did great - love him.
Our Apple Rep was great - Carlos.
The front desk, special dinners, night time fun - was all perfect for good fun.
Yes - there are mosquitos - that is what bug spray is for... you are in the jungle... read read read and learn all you can - so you will LOVE your vacation here - it is beautiful and a blast.
Did I say the STAR employees were great - I cannot say it enough.

Room Tip: Building 15 - good for us... we are pool/beach people.... it was perfect. We ALWAYS got a ride to t...
1 Thank 1960keca
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and for choosing us to host you for this vacation.

We are more than glad to know that everything was amazing during your stay and you enjoyed an incredible time with us and your family. The Staff would be delighted to read your comments since it is our best reward to know that our efforts and hard work made this trip memorable.

The Star Friends and his manager have been notified of your comments and the Food and Beverage department as well, thank you for your compliments!

We hope that you give us the chance to welcome you back next time you come to Riviera Maya!

Rockledge, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Arriving at the airport was complete chaos. We searched in vain for the taxis other reviewers mentioned but could never find them. Most of the taxi drivers wanted around $100 US dollars to take me and my wife to the hotel. We finally found one for around $50 after a half hour of arguing. Arriving at the hotel. we were amazed by the breadth and beauty of the hotel. Immaculate grounds, friendly staff, very clean and inviting room. We stayed six days and each day our opinion of the hotel went lower and lower. Making reservations for the specialty restaurants and the concierge kept writing our room number down wrong, creating confusing when we got to the restaurants. Mind you, we conveyed our room numbers to them in both Spanish and English. My wife is fluent in Spanish. This was to be a reoccurring theme as the staff did not seem to speak Spanish nor English. Often I would ask questions of the staff and they would look at me as if I had seven heads. My wife spoke them to in Spanish and they were just as confused. I inquired to the concierge about the bike tours and daily yoga sessions mentioned on the activity board. Her response was yes they are there on the board. My wife asked the question in Spanish and the concierge was still confused. We found this among most of the staff and chalked it down to possible lower education of the staff. But shouldn't the concierge and front staff understand English at least in a passable manner. The pools were gorgeous with swim up bars. The drinks were terrible, terrible, terrible. I guess they have never heard of alcohol. What are these drinks for kindergartens? Finally, we stumbled across a small Cantina, bar, at the local shopping on site. With a few tips to the bartender, we finally got real drinks! Highly recommend the Zombi and Planter Punch drinks. Also there is a taco shop and small crepe and ice cream shop that was good as well. Overall the food, dear lord it was bland cafeteria food. Even in the specialty restaurants. One night we ate in their Gourmet restaurant and I ordered a steak. Lol it was a Salisbury steak, for real. Another night we ate at the Steak house and I gave up trying to eat my steak as it was hurting my hands to try and cut it. One tip, they try and steer you to buy Wine from the Vino list. Ask for the house wine which is included. The buffet food, well it was the same, bland and the same over and over again. Highly let down by the food. We also took a local van into Cancun which you catch right outside the entrance to the right near the bus stop. It's 50 pesos for a couple to travel there. But be forewarned, downtown Cancun is not for the faint of heart. Police with machine guns and body armor every where. I was continually offered women and drugs. Definitely did not feel safe there. The hotel is about 40 minutes from Cancun and costs about $50 to $60 by taxi.

Positive: Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, beautiful and warm pools.

Negatives: Horrible food and drinks, clueless staff, no internet. Little to no air conditioning. We paid for the internet and then the receptionist told us we had to walk around the hotel to try and get a signal. I kid you not. We had a signal for maybe 2 minutes top and looked like idiots walking around and holding our tablets up everywhere. The nightly entertainment, don't bother - bad, very bad. Nothing around to do aside from the pool and beach. By the end was very bored and restless. And finally one big negative: The hotel does not accept American dollars. We found this by way of a sign at the front desk. Would have been nice if we would have known before we got to the hotel. Oh and the hot tubs are cold water which was puzzling.

Recommendations: Bring a lot of singles for tips and a lots of patience. There is a Dental clinic in the Cancun hotel zone that is incredible that we went too and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are nice but be forewarned that they are least a half mile walk to the restauran...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay W
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We appreciate your feedback since it is truly important for us in order to improve certain areas that need attention.

It is great to know that the Staff was friendly and you enjoyed our facilities overall. We really believe that our most important asset is our Staff, as they help us achieve our main goal, the complete satisfaction of our clients.

The Maintenance and Housekeeping departments would be more than glad to know that the areas and grounds were always looking fantastic and pretty; they work very hard to maintain it this way for all our guests and as part of our sustainability commitment.

We regret your comment about our food at the buffet and beverages in certain bars, we have taken note of your constructive comment and we will forward to it each department manager in order to improve the quality and service.

The management at Iberostar is committed to providing services, facilities and an ambiance which satisfies our guest's requirements and therefore we extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort. Please rest assured however that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective department managers.

Best regards,
North Royalton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Overall a good hotel, the negative part was the mosquitos. Of all the resorts I've been too, this one had a HUGE number of them, at the beach, pool, lobby, outside. Every minute you would see one on your body. Bring LOTS of mosquito spray. Trust me you'll need it.

• Stayed July 2012
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guests,

We appreciate you took the time to share your comments with us since it provides us with valuable information on your experience. Since we are on a tropical jungle it is difficult to avoid these insects, however, we have already forwarded your feedback to the maintenance department to reinforce the spray treatment we enforce daily at the areas to offer more protection against the mosquitoes.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, we would be more than glad to assist you before your check in.

Hickory, Ky
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our honeymoon in Mexico at Iberostar del Mar!
We enjoyed the open air lobby, bars and restaurants. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and managed. Wildlife (coati,iguana, peacocks, flamingos, swan...) adds to the charm. We enjoyed the walks to and fro, but there are also golf carts to shuttle you around if you desire. The room exceeded expectations, clean,private balcony with a great view, and well stocked fridge. Literally all staff we encountered was friendly, smiling, and helpful.
The beach was awesome; clear water, clean sand, plenty of chairs/tikis, cabanas, and hammocks, and a bar and lunch buffet right at the beach. There is also a larger buffet area open for breakfast then lunch close to the beach (trust me you will not go hungry or thirsty at this resort). Also, enjoyed the volleyball, air rifles, zumba, and yoga on the beach! There are Star friends everywhere that encourage you to have fun! The pool was enormous with lazy river, swim up bar, water falls and spa.
The specialty restaurants were fabulous (reservations required) as well as the international buffet (no reservation needed). I was pleasantly surprised how good the buffet food was, in fact enjoyed it more than some of the specialty restaurants :) There are also shows each night that are enjoyable as well.
Tips:
1. Book your vacation with Apple Vacations, their reps step you through the entire vacation, reps were at our departing airport, Cancun airport, shuttle buses, and the resort. They also have deals and tips on excursions.
2. Upon arrival make your dinner reservations for your stay with the concierge before you go the room, we did and got to eat at all the restaurants we desired.
3. Request a pool side room in block 13,14,or 15 close to the pool and halfway between the beach and restaurants/lobby.
4.Bring plenty of small bills for tips, no one demands it, but a smile and a couple US dollars go a long way.
5. No need to exchange dollars for pesos. Everywhere we went takes US dollars, you may get your change in pesos, no worries, you can spend it while your there or take some home as a souvenir. Also, negotiate every price for souvenirs, also you get a better deal if you buy more than one item from the same vendor.
6. Relax and remember your on vacation, be friendly, smile and enjoy your time in paradise!
We can't imagine having a better honeymoon and can't wait to make a return visit! Great beach, food, pool, service!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank jcbryant77
Dear Newlyweds Guests,

On behalf of the management and the entire Staff of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our premises and for giving us the opportunity to host you in this special vacation.

It is truly important for us to receive the feedback from our guests since it gives us the best tool to improve our services and facilities. The Staff is honored to know that their service and hard work made your vacation an incredible experience.

Thank you for highlighting our gardens, wild life, rooms, facilities and services. Since our main goal is the complete satisfaction of our guests the feedback provided will get us closer to offer the best service in Mayan Riviera.

We hope you give us the opportunity again to host you in the near future; if this is the case, the Staff and the management would be looking forward for your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!