“Very nice experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed with a group of 35 friends and families. We had a very nice time and the resort was full to capacity. The food was good, the rooms were clean, the service was good and the staff were friendly. This is a big resort and yes a lot of walking but with the eating and drinking you need it! We ate at the Japanese (best), Mediterranean (very good) and the Steakhouse (worst for me rare, rare, rare-sent steak back twice but still came back bloody). The beach is very nice and so is the pool. Yes, you do need to go down to the pool to reserve chairs at 5AM but that is the way it is at all big resorts especially during the holidays. Visit the Iberostar!

1 Thank jhanni
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear guests,

On behalf of our Management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your holidays and for sharing your experience.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and our clean grounds! We are so pleased to read you had such a wonderful time; it is really motivational.

The Chef would be glad to know that the Japanese and Mediterranean restaurants were good and you enjoyed the food. Our apologies for the issues at the Steakhouse restaurant; we will make sure to follow this up in order to avoid any similar situation in the future.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our pools, natural environment, amazing turquoise sea and the warm and friendly Staff. If this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us prior your arrival.

Iberostar México

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights over Easter weekend with our almost 16 year old son and his friend. The beach is gorgeous and the hotel is impeccably kept. It spotlessly clean, even every bathroom throughout the resort. The gardens are gorgeous with local wildlife and birds singing. They work constantly to keep it manicured. The hotel itself is also very well kept with very romantic public spaces with shiny marble walkways surrounded by water so it feels like you are walking on water. The staff were wonderful and friendly.

It was great for the boys to have so much freedom with the all-inclusive model. They loved the fun atmosphere around part of the pool with games and music. I loved the quiet part of the beach I found at the northern end of the property (the southern end of the beach was very populated with hotel guests). There was also a quiet section of the pool. Really something for every taste.

Cons: The main issue I had with the place was the tasteless and boring food. I have been to many of these types of resorts in Riviera Maya and in the Dominican Republic and this is the only time we were unhappy with the food. In fact, we we would not go back to this resort as a result. There are many other similar options along that beach. Breakfast was ok, but lunch and dinner were really not good. All four of us felt this way. The food was very cheap. For example, the last place I stayed in the D.R. had piles of shrimp and prosciutto, and the meats were delicious. Here there was no shrimp or fancy meat and any meat they served was tough. The pizza was not edible. I ended up mainly eating salad, which was also a very boring salad bar. It was healthy yes, but I was on vacation and wanted to be spoiled. They did make a huge effort to make the food beautiful. They displays were very fancy, but when you put it in your mouth, it didn't taste good.

Finally, I want to talk about lounge chairs. The hotel gives each person a towel card at the beginning of the stay. You must present it at the end of your visit or pay a fine ($10?). The problem with this policy is that people don't turn in their towels at the end of every day like at most hotels. No, they leave their towels over night, so when you come in the morning, no matter how early, you can't sit down. They are all spoken for. Other places clean up all the towels at 6pm. Here they can't because of the cards. They should forget the cards and let you take two towels if you want then clean it all up every eve.

2 Thank jp464
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for choosing us as an option for your vacation in Mexico and for the time you have taken to write this review for TripAdvisor, we appreciate our guests’ comments as they are an invaluable tool to see your perception of our service and facilities. We are committed to maintaining high quality standards for customer service so we will take your comments into consideration.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy all our services. We especially want to thank you for your positive comments regarding our clean and beautiful resort, extensive fauna ,nice atmosphere around the hotel and our friendly and wonderful staff.

Concerning the food, we are sorry you were not happy with the culinary offer. As you mentioned we have many choices at the main buffet restaurant, also a live cooking spot to prepare any special requests, plus the different options for dinner at the restaurants a la carte. We try to please an international clientele with different palates. However, we have sent your comment to our Executive Chef for consideration; we aim for your complete satisfaction and gastronomy is an essential part. Thanks for that feedback.

Regarding your comments about the towel and towel cards, we have exchange service during the entire day from 8:00am to 7:00pm by the pool area so guests can switch their towels or cards daily or as often as needed and switch cards for towels or vice versa since we have a large supply with no problem for a continuous replacement even with full occupancy. Our sincere apologies for any misunderstanding in this matter, in any case we will be passing your comments on to the management of the hotel to consider, so that our guests do not feel uncomfortable with the procedures.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Calgary
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I travelled with a friend and stayed for one week. I think this resort has something to offer to anyone. We had a great time - here is a breakdown of my opinion of the resort.

Beach: Really fantastic. It's quite large - you can walk for quite a ways in either direction. There are no rocks in the roped off swimming area. Sand is lovely. There are some cigarette butts (and straws) here and there in the lounging area - sad that people who smoke can't discard their butts responsibly. Water was warm and awesome! Lounge chairs were always available and there were quite a few huts for shade. There is a snack shack and a bar on the beach - food was good. There was a good selection of food – everything from hamburgers and hot dogs with fries to fresh fruit, salads, cooked fish and seafood and vegetables. Also guacamole, salsa and chips! Ice cream was great! Drinks were very good. Banana daiquiri was a fave or ours. There is also non-alcoholic beverages available (ice tea, juice and pop). Lineups were not very long and went quickly, and there was also a server providing chair service. Massage was available on the beach (for an added cost). There are vendors who travel the beach too – just don't make eye contact if you are not interested in being solicited. Otherwise, they don't linger and leave you alone.

Pool: Very large - cooler, but I would not say cold. It's fine once you get in. They were nice, but we preferred the beach. Lots of people did the "towel saver" and held spots around the beach. Keep that in mind if you desire a certain area. But there seemed to be a lot of seating. There were scheduled activities and games, but we didn't partake - looked fun though.

Rooms: Very clean and comfortable. They say "queen" size beds but they are double. Very comfy though. We didn't spend a lot of time in our room! There were a few English channels with movies and sitcoms for those wanting some t.v. time. Drinks were well stocked in the rooms. We had no problem with hot water and the air conditioning worked fine in our room – but we didn't really use it or need it. The rooms are fairly cool and it does cool off at night.

Restaurants: The Japanese was amazing! It is also quite entertaining to watch the cook – fun for everyone. Very good food. The Seafood/Mediteranean was also very, very good. We had fish and it was cooked very well - not dry at all. The desserts were very good also. Lots to choose from on the salad/appetizer tables. The buffets were great. There were always lots of choices! I can't imagine anyone would go hungry, I think there was something for everyone here. Fresh fruit, salads, veggies - amazing fish and chicken. Desserts were incredible. There may seem to be a lot of repeats - but in fact, we found that there was something different every night. Breakfast and lunch were also great. The only restaurant that we didn't care for was the Italian - it was very salty. I had a shrimp risotto (and I'm not that picky). Everything else was very good.

Service: Amazing staff on hand. Everyone was helpful and extremely friendly. Daniel at the front desk started us off right! Very, very friendly and helpful. He granted our request for a room close to the beach. They have a courtesy suite (as we travelled overnight on a red eye and the room wasn't available for us to check in at 7:00 am) where we could shower and change. Servers at buffets were so kind and friendly. Everyone really works hard here with a big smile on their faces. The entertainment staff was lots of fun also!
Wifi is not available in rooms, which was a little disappointing in today's day and age. However, you can purchase wifi packages and they are reasonable. We bought 24 "log in-log out" hours for $16 US. You can log in and out for the week. Will allow you loads of time to check email, facebook, browse internet etc.

Grounds: Very beautiful grounds. Amazing lush vegetation and wildlife. They have resident peacocks, flamingos, swans…and those creepy things that look like raccoons – some people seem to enjoy feeding them. The grounds are very large – so be prepared to walk. Not a problem at all for us – we enjoyed every minute of it. There was also some kind of shuttle (we didn't use it so I 'm not sure how often it came and where it went).
There is a little mall area and shopping is available on the grounds. Souvenirs, clothes etc. Also ice cream and tacos were available there (included)

Spa: Was nice and the employees were all very professional. I thought it was a little expensive, 80 min massage was $150 and that included use of the spa (hot pools, salt water pools, sauna and steam room).

Night club: It was fun. Played good tunes – and people of all ages were there.

Location: The resort is about 30 min drive from the airport. We were the first to be dropped off on our way to start our vacation, and the last to be picked up when it was time to go home– which was an incentive over other resorts since we didn't want to add more travel time.
The resort is about a 20-30 min drive by resort shuttle bus Playa del Carmen. Check at the concierge for departure/pick up times – cost was $5 each way. Lots of shopping and restaurants etc. in town. Be prepared to barter!!

On another note, I would recommend bring some $1 bills. We tipped our house-cleaning person daily, as well as servers at the restaurants – even the buffets. It was our opinion that the people who went out of their way (and didn't expect anything in return) deserved a few bucks. They really do work hard to serve – and to make your experience a great one.

We had a really wonderful vacation at this resort – and I believe that it offers something for everyone. There were families with young children, couples, singles, and college students on spring break. I would recommend it to others for sure – and I would go back myself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

4 Thank BatchicaCalgary
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our Iberostar.

We appreciate you took the time to share your feedback with us and all these wonderful comments from your stay. We are thrilled to know that everything was amazing and that you enjoyed every single day of your vacation.

We have already forwarded your comments to the people in charge of every department; this will encourage them to keep working on the same track to accomplish our main goal, which is the complete satisfaction of our guests. The best reward for us is you’re appreciation of our work.

We cannot thank you enough for all this valuable information and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future with your family and friends. Be sure that we will do our best to offer even a better experience!

Kind regards,
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have just returned from the Del Mar. There are things to love and a few things not to love.

The Good: The people who work here are wonderful. They try very hard to please. At dinner and breakfast, we were asked by staff how are stay was, and what we needed. I did tell a hostess we needed sheets for our son's couch bed, and she wrote it down. When we got back to our room, I called housekeeping. They told me the hostess had already called, and the sheets were already en route! I have never, and we are palace resort members, had service like that. When I lost my key card, and went to the front desk for another, Christian at the desk remembered my name

The grounds are beautiful. There are winding paths in a jungle setting, and the paths light up at night by Chinese lanterns. It is breathtaking. My son loved the peacocks, the swans, the pink flamingos, and the curious Lemur like creatures that run loose. The pool is sparkling clean, as are the grounds. People were always cleaning and working on something.

The rooms are fine, but could be updated a little. We upgraded from a junior suite to a beach front for just $20 extra dollars per day. Well worth it! None of the other resorts, besides the Grand, have beach front. Even the Paraiso Beach does not have unobstructed views of the gorgeous water. Also, it is less crowded at the beach at this part of the massive Iberostar Resorts.

Yes, you must reserve your chair early....7AM. It is like that at all resorts I have ever been to in Mexico or the Caribbean.

Also, be careful to understand that the Del Mar guests are not permitted to go to the Del Maya or the Lindo, where the Lazy river is and the Wave Pool...

I thought the firm mattresses were wonderful, but I understand they may not be everyone's preference

The Bad: The food here is horrible. There is really no excuse for food this bad, at these prices. The food was cold, and there was no seafood. And, it tasted bad...we are not foodies, and I thought the negative food reviews were by finicky eaters. Not true... Everyone we spoke with at the Del Mar, who was staying, agreed the food was substandard. We had friends at the Maya who said the food there was wonderful.

Tip: Eat at the Paraiso Beach, which is attached to the Del Mar. The Beach Paraiso has seafood, and the food is much better. At Paraiso Beach we ate a delicious lunch of gumbo, stuffed crab, salad, and paella.

We could not get into the restaurants, they were full the entire vacation. I did hear that the food was better, and the Japanese was the most popular.

Overall, if you stay here, eat at the Paraiso Beach, and upgrade to beach front (its worth it). I do recommend the resort, based on everything but the food.

Final tip: Bring a small noise machine to any of these resorts in Mexico. Thhhey are cheap, small, and you can get them online.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank courtsidesports
Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay and our facilities.

Your comments about our staff are much appreciated, definitely our most important asset! We will be forwarding your nice comments to them so that they can feel motivated.

Reading that you and your kids enjoyed the resort certainly motivates us to continue improving!

On the other hand, we regret you did not enjoy the food from our resort. We do have a large variety of restaurants and we are always working on improving our services and try to offer a variety of meals to please all our clients with different cultures and tastes. We also would like to mention that our food quality has been the same as previous years with some improvements and enhancements made to its variety considering our guests recommendations and we are sorry to hear this did not satisfy your expectations. However, all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the head Chef for consideration.

We would also like to mention that Paraiso del Mar and Beach share facilities, so the guests from one or the other have access to all the facilities between them.

The management at Iberostar is committed to providing services, facilities and an ambiance which satisfies our guests’ requirements and therefore we extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort.

Once again, thank you for your feedback which helps us in order to improve our service. We hope you can visit us again soon and we look forward to welcome you and your family back.

Toronto
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent March break 13-20 with two other families. 12 in total, 6 adults and 6 kids and we all had a relaxing and fun time. The grounds were beautiful, lots of mature trees and clean pathways to go for a stroll. The lobby was very welcoming with flamingos and swans in site. We were greeted with a waitress from the lobby bar asking if we would like pina colada's, a treat after the flight and bus ride. We requested that our rooms all be close together and we were pleased that they were all in the same building and floor next to each other. The Iberostar staff were great - Bonito and Cesar stood out for us as they were always making efforts to keep the young ones engaged inviting them to the various sports and activities. The buffet food was ok, we would have preferred more selection, but we had been warned that it would not be superb. Our dinner reservations were for the Mexican, Mediterreanian and the Steakhouse. The Mediterrenean was our favourite with the seafood selections and excellent staff. I would not recommend the Steakhouse. We were surprised that although they told all all the bookings were full for a group of 12, we found all 3 restaurants to be 1/2 empty. The pool was huge and we did take advantage and walked over to the LIndo to enjoy the Lazy river each day with the kids. The beach was clean, water was warm with lots of waves. We had a very relaxing time and enjoyed some of the shows, but the goal was to spend quality family time which we did. We found that there were many families with children and mature couples. We were relieved that this was not a "Spring Break Party" resort for this vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed closer to the main buffet and did not mind the walk to the beach through the paths, the ki...
2 Thank fishiana
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Iberostar for your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us since it provides important information of our services and facilities. We are happy to know that the vegetation was nice and you enjoyed a relaxing walk by the areas. The maintenance department and the gardeners would be delighted and honored to read your comments.

Our pre arrival coordination made it possible to welcome you with a cocktail and the Front Desk was able to fulfill your request, we are pleased that this detail made the beginning of your stay pleasant. The Head Chef has received your comments and will be working to offer more variety and our Cuisine Department will take into consideration your comments when changing the steak house menu; we do have a large variety of restaurants and we are always working on improving our services trying to offer a variety of meals to please all our clients.

It is great to know that the Mediterranean restaurant was the best for you and the service and food were outstanding.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case do not hesitate to contact the Public Relations office, they would be more than glad to assist you prior to your arrival.

Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel grounds are beautiful. Our room a/c didn't work consistently. Tried to get maintenance and he tried to fix the tv and didn't understand that it was our a/c. The beds are bricks and the pillows are flatter than a pancake.Our bathroom ceiling leaked in several spots and the ceiling was buckling. Very expensive and not worth the money sorry, there are much better resorts for the same price out there.

3 Thank irish2290
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your recent stay.

We appreciate you took the time to share your feedback since it provides us important information regarding our services and facilities. We apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. We have forwarded your comments to the Housekeeping and the Maintenance departments so they can verify the leak and make sure they repair what is needed.

We are thankful for your appreciation about the beautiful grounds; we try to offer a relaxing and inviting atmosphere for our guests. The gardeners work hard to make sure everything is looks beautiful for our guests.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and restore the confidence in Iberostar, if this is the case, do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar
March 24-31
Our family booked an all inclusive Spring Break vacation at the above resort. Our experience was as follows:

The resort itself was beautiful. The pool area(s) were clean and well-maintained. The beach was beautiful, clean, and well-maintained by the resort staff.

Our room was tastefully decorated and very clean. The service provided by Miguel (our maid) was excellent – our room was spotless and we were provided with adequate towels, etc. He responded to any requests for our mini-bar (water, diet soda, beer) in a timely manner. He was friendly and courteous.

We visited Tulum (booking through Apple Vacations) and were pleased with the excursion. We also took a cab to Playa Del Carmen. The Apple Representatives, Pedro and Gloria, were extremely friendly and helpful. However, aside from Gloria and Pedro, we found the other Apple Reps who worked at the desk at the resort to be unhelpful, unfriendly, and rude.

For the most part the grounds keepers, waiters and waitresses, and other service personnel were friendly. Daniel, who worked at the Front Desk during the second half of our stay, was friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed the weather, the beach, and the sun. However, due to the below listed issues we will not return to this property or recommend it to family or friends.

1. Check –In
Our vacation was almost ruined before it started. The gentleman who checked us in was also checking in 3-4 other families. He was abrupt, unfriendly, and rude. Although we had requested adjoining rooms, we were told that the resort was totally booked and that only one room was available. Although it was not ideal (we were traveling with our 17 year old son and 14 year old daughter), we would make it work. We requested a cot, but were told that there were no cots available at this property. After numerous calls and trips to the front desk, we were told a bed would be brought from another resort – hours later. In addition, no attempt was made to direct us to our room. This is a VERY LARGE property.
2. The restaurant reservation system was ridiculous. We were told that guests are entitled to 3 reservations in the specialty restaurants. (Not mentioned on the website). However, when we made our reservations, we found that the only times available were after 8:30 pm. We found this especially interesting when we visited the restaurants as they were without exception 75% EMPTY. This would leave us to believe that the resort limits the reservations as a money saving measure – without any consideration to its guests.
3. In addition to the above issue, the food in the restaurants/buffets was marginal at best. The buffets were better than the restaurants – Mexican & Italian were awful. Our meals were almost inedible! The Japanese restaurant was decent, although we did not get what we ordered.
4. Although the beaches were well-maintained, there were only 2 restrooms (2 stalls) on the beach. This was totally inadequate considering that it was Easter Week/Spring Break.
5. There were 2 bartenders at 1 bar to service all the guests on the beach – again this seemed totally inadequate during the week that we were there. The wait was long and on many occasions the bartenders ran out of ice.
6. Although the restaurants/buffets were decorated tastefully, the stray cats, raccoon like creatures (Quanti), and other animals/birds that wandered through the restaurants made us question how sanitary the facilities were.
7. Vendors on the beach were tolerable, except for when they asked/demanded that we “get them a beer” – there seemed to be no security in place to deal with them.

4 Thank ASHTONMCCLOY
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We appreciate you took the time to share your recent experience with us since it provides the best feedback to help us improve our services and facilities at the Hotel.

It is great to know that you found the grounds and the vegetation always nice and neat; the Staff takes a lot of time to ensure everything is perfect for our guests and they find everything relaxing and amazing.

We appreciate our guests’ comments as they prove to be an invaluable tool to see your perception of our service and facilities. We are committed to maintaining high quality standards for customer service so we will take your observations into consideration.

We regret to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food. We already shared it with the departments involved in order to look for improvement and enhance the quality. The Chef and his staff have already reviewed the menus at the specialty restaurants and the main buffets and had made some changes to offer more selection, better quality and recipes to provide a different selection daily and at every seating.

Regarding the reservations we would like to inform you that our booking system is based on restaurant settings for our specialty restaurants at 18:30, 19:00, 20:30 and 21:00. We want our guests to enjoy a nice dinner, which is why we do not reserve all tables in each seating so we have room to manage the time while you enjoy dinner and avoid any eventual delays to other guests. We thank you for your understanding regarding this situation and we are sorry you felt uncomfortable with this system.

We hope to welcome you back in a near future and have the pleasure to host you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!