Message from TripAdvisor:

TripAdvisor has been made aware of recent media reports or events concerning this property which may not be reflected in reviews found on this listing. Accordingly, you may wish to perform additional research for information about this property when making your travel plans.

“I WANT TO GO BACK NOW”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I loved this resort. I traveled with my Mom who is in her 80's. Yes, it is a lot of walking, but you can call the bell boy for a golf cart and they will come and get you. We did give them tips at times, and they were always happy to get us. There was a great variety of food at the buffet, even for picky eaters. I don't understand all the negative complaints (those people must be very fussy and spoiled). There was one day the maid left us only 1 washcloth, but we got by. The Japanese restaurant was the best and then the Italian. I will admit that I believe the alcohol was watered down, but the drinks were still good.

The best parts of the vacation were the Star Friends. They were all a hoot and good with both young and old. In fact, Eduardo was the best and sweetest person I ever met--he treated my Mom so well and would always greet us with a huge hug. Thanks Eduardo for going above and beyond. I've never seen such a large pool -- it went on forever. I will definitely come back to the Iberostar, although next year I want to try the best one of the complex -- the Grand.

Room Tip: Building 13 (half way between beach and lobby).
  • Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed June 14, 2011

We visited for 7 days (june 4-11) and had a really great time. the rooms were nice and the bed was way more comfortable than other places i have stayed in the past. we were in bulding 12 so pretty close to the pools and breakfast/lunch area. the maid service was of questionable quality in 1 of our 3 rooms. the food was really good at the restaurants (steakhouse, japanese, brazilian) and the buffet had a pretty good selection as well. on a couple of occasions, we were offered reservations, but there was 7 of us and they didnt have room for that many. i loved that ice cream was available pretty much anytime. the coconut was my favorite...it had real coconut in it. YUM!! i think the drinks were very good. i never felt like they were "watered" down at all.

the resort itself, is pretty large and very beautiful. make sure that you bring shoes that you can walk in. i only had flops with me and i wish i had brought my running shoes. however, we traveled with my elderly aunt, and called for a cart to take us to the restaurants and they always came to pick us up. just be sure to give yourself enough time if you have reservations. a few times, it took them a while to get to us.
i have read several other reviews that said there was free wi-fi in the lobby, but i never found it. i paid one time for 15 minutes to check email and facebook on my iPod, the cost was $3.50. many of the TV channels were in spanish. BUT, i was here on vacation, to get AWAY from all the electronic addictions. personally, i dont understand why people get so upset about that stuff.

The pools were nice, but salt water. Im pretty sure that my niece had a reaction to something in the water as she had what looked like a rash when she got out of the pool. there are PLENTY of lounge chairs with shade all around the pool. there are a handful of "cabanas" but you have to get up and down to the pool pretty early (around 6am) to snag one. when it was my turn to get up early, i took my towel with me to the cabana and just slept... you will get a towel card to exchange for a towel to use. i just kept a towel with me instead of getting a card back each nite, so that I would have my towel in the morning. the towel hut doesnt open until 8 or 9 am. i traded in my towel for the card the night before i left. i figured too that a towel was easier to keep tabs on than a towel card that is the size of a credit card.

i thought it was really cool that there were animals that roamed the resort. the flamingos, coati, swans, peacocks, even the cats made the atmosphere really unique.
the thing that really made this trip for us, though, was the "star friends" (entertainment team). Eduardo and his staff were awesome. i really feel like they went out of the way to make the trip special for my niece and nephew. My niece and nephew were always excited to see the star friends, and it always felt like they were genuinely happy to see them as well. i enjoyed either participating or watching the pool games. there was a variety of pool games, everyone around seemed to either be cheering others or participating. the staff really pushed for positive cheering for participants, and even cut off people that started to boo....no one deserves that.

overall, i had a really good time and would go back. if you have any questions, you can email me at rahra21@gmail.com

Room Tip: Building 10 is closest to beach, 12 is a good spot
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank RAH_RAHx2
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from four nights at the Iberostar Playa Paraiso complex. We had a wonderful time and recommend the resort to anyone. The first two nights was return visit to the Paraiso Del Mar hotel. We stayed in the same ocean front building three and a half year ago and we both agreed that the place has held up remarkably well. The grounds are lush and tropical and very well-maintained. Other reviews mentions the "wild animals" which are coati mundis, a kind of badger. It is somewhat off-putting to come across a band of 20 cat-sized critters as you walk around your resort. The coatis are not afraid of you, but they're not the least bit aggressive either. If you are an animal lover, it's kind of cool.

In my opinion, the beach in front of the Paraiso Del Mar is nicer than that of the Lindo and the Maya, but not as nice as that of the Grand. I'll write a separate review of the Grand which we upgraded to when we learned that the hotel was offering a "deal."

As to the Paraiso Del Mar hotel, some highlights:
The gym is great for a resort hotel gym and in better condition than it was three and half years ago. It's centrally located outside of the four hotels that all have access.

We stayed in the only beach front building, which is the farthest from the lobby/buffet/restaurants. My husband tracked the walk with GPS and it's about a quarter of a mile from the beach to the lobby. If that's too far for you, as some other reviewers have complained, you may want to choose another hotel.

The buffet is really quite good and they're very accommodating and helpful to vegetarians, of which I am one.

The drinks are lame, but that's a fact of AI life (unless you upgrade to the Grand !) The bartenders are all pleasant and happy to let you try new things.

The shows are silly but the Star Friends are hardworking and very sweet.

The pillows are the thick poly-fill type; beds are kind of hard.

Excellent, huge pool with an active and quiet area.

PLEASE disregard the reviews that complain about TV in Spanish; Mexico is a Spanish-speaking country. Embrace the fact that you're in a foreign land and get over the expectation of 100% American comforts.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank eakNYC
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I thought the landscaping was pretty here, my room was better than I thought it would be, and I absolutely loved the huge bathtub. If you want the bathtub you have to get the room with two doubles, but it was worth it. I could stretch out in the tub.

I thought the pool was one of the nicest ones I've been to, with lots of little nooks in the jungle part with chairs for two, and quite a few palapas with beds by the pool you could snag if you got up early. I got one one day when it was rainy and it was really romantic. The rain came down all around us but didn't leak into the palapa and we read and snuggled up together and dashed to the snack bar when it cleared up, and I swam some in the rain, very nice day. However CAUTION, do not cross that bridge between one side of pool and other unless you are really steady on your feet. I slipped right down it and fell flat on my back, but fortunately didn't injure myself. Literally couldn't stand up on it without falling. This nice spanish lady helped me down it. Course it had been raining but I suspect it is always slippery.
I liked the hammocks by the beach, but didn't get in the ocean much as it was too rough. Would knock you down on the days I went to it. The beach at the Tucan was much better. The landscaping was better at the Tucan too. MOre compact, but the way they fit that resort in the jungle was amazing. You could see a bit of the jungle at the del mar too, but you had to seek it out. And it wasn't landscaped quite as nicely. Tucan really was landscaped the best, but had similar food and just smaller pool and more crowded beach/snack bar /pool area. Tucan was more lush.

It was a bit of a walk to the buffet or restaurants but not too bad. Just need to make sure you wear tennis shoes so you won't get blisters like I did in my sandals. It was very easy to get a ride back to your room, just alert the bellboy in the lobby and they always came through with a ride after a few minutes. Thought the buffet breakfast was good, nice egg and Mexican choices, good oatmeal with cinamon and the hot chocolate was excellent. Lunch was so so, liked simple wings and salsa and chips on the beach snack bar better for lunch. Really enjoyed the steak restaurant. Very nice buffet, strange sauce with onion petals, more like a sweet sour sauce but good. Highly recommedn the tenderloin, perfectly cooked, medium rare, very good. Nice experience. Food overall fairly good, not as good as Sandos playacar or Royal Tulum.

Spa though was amazing. Had massage , it was so so, but what I loved was the wet areas. I went with a wrenched shoulder and was almost cured after about three days of hydrotherapy no joke. Totally worth it to me to pay the 30 dollars for it. First in the swimming pool at spa make sure you try all buttons and faucets. First button gives you a foot and leg massage. Really nice foot massage. Next button gives you a hip massage. Really nice if you have sciatica problems. You can't sit down, just lower yourself in water just beyond the seat in sitting position and the jets will hold you up. Good hip massage. Then try all different faucets fro shoulder massage. first one, good overall gentle shoulder massage. Second one really penetrating, almost like fingers giving you swedish massage. And finally big faucet gives you waterfall like massage, really nice for arms and shouldrs. Like I said cleared up my shoulder problem in three days. Then you can go and take different kinds of showers. i liked the swedish shower. It went from hot to cold on your legs and then up to shoulders, which sounds awful but was refreshing. Then you had all the various hottubs. First hot tub push the button and you got a stream of cold water on your back while you sat in the bubbling hot water. Kind of nice. The pool of resistance was amazing. I liked the hotter one although the cooler one was nice too. I would sink into the water almost in a sitting position and the pressure of the faucet would hold me up and give me a really really nice massage on my shoulders. I'm convinced it helped cure mine. Or could could stand and get it on your hips or lower back. Then the bubble chairs were also nice if you hit the buttons. I loved the vapour room but couldn't go far into it because there was no safety rail. Love the spa and went everyday even though I had to pay.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sswingfieldky
Reviewed June 13, 2011

All is fine in this hotel. Huge green territory. With swans, peacocks, herons in the channels around the main restaurant. All for sports. Tennis courts, the fitness center, sailing catamarans, beach volleyball.
Excellent meal. Italian is the best from restaurants.
Wi-fi in the reception zone is free of charge.
We recommend the hotel for all types tourists.
Thanks for the holiday!:)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Victor_1961_10
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Rooms and grounds very nice, pools fabulous and food very, very good. We got a great rate on the rooms, maybe because this is the rainy season, but we would definitely return.

Room Tip: midway between reception and beach
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ChicagoLikestotravel
Reviewed June 9, 2011

It was not cheap and it was rated on-line as 5 Golden Apple rating. I disagree. We have stayed at much nicer places for a lot less. A lot of walking even with the Tram, which was not what they tell you as runs every 15 minutes. The TV gets mainly Spanish channels if it works at all. The service people are of no help on that. Same with the room if you only get 2 washcloths for 3 people and try to tell them you need more. The help is mostly Spanish and do not understand what you are asking for. We tipped well, but it does not matter, the service is not that great. We waited a lot for someone to pick us up to go anywhere. The food was good, but not very food friendly to kids. Ours ate cheese pizza all week. The pools are large, but most of them are called quiet pools, so they have about 6 people there and a large area. The one by the swim up bar is for everyone including kids but it is like a hot tub for pool temp and lots of Wedding crowds drinking. We enjoyed the water with the kids anyway. The snorkel thing was $40 and my kids said it was worth it. The pool bar was where the lunch buffet was and it had lots of animals on the tabels eating scraps. Our hotel had the buffet closed for remodel, or probably just it was not the rush season, so we had to go each night to the other hotel for the buffet. The restaurants were reservations only and you had to go to the main entrance to reserve a time not on the phone. Our kids did that one night, it was just ok. Entertainment was ok. The shows started like at 9:30 pm which was late so after eating earlier you had a lot of time to kill before they started. There is a nice little Catholic church in the shopping mall on Sunday night at 6:30 pm. They did mass in Spanish and English for readings. The bar in the room was all inclusive which was nice. Some of the staff was friendly, but not all. It is not where I would go again. There are much nicer places in Cancun for better prices There were 7 of us and 2 were kids 4yrs. and 3 yrs. old. Not much for the kids other than swimming and a sandy playground near the pool area. We were there from May 20-May 25. Not what I would list as 5 Golden Apple. People must not have very high expectations. There were ants crawling in the bathroom which did not make you want to keep a toothbrush anywere near there. I expected a few bugs, but no reason the sink area should be crawling in little ants.

Room Tip: We asked for 1st floor.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#47 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!