“Would definately go again”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 29, 2003

My partner and I stayed at this wonderful resort from May 10 - 17. I stayed at the Riu Palace on my last visit to Playa Del Carmen and the Iberostar resort stands head and shoulders above it. The grounds are immaculate. The pool is enormous. The pool was segregated into 3 different areas. There was an area where music was always playing and most activities took place and represented the largest portion of the pool. The second area was reserved for water volleyball and polo. The third area was more reserved and no music was played at all during the day. Music from the other portion of the pool could be heard but it was never annoying. We stayed at different areas of the pool each day based on what we felt like doing. There were always chairs available at each area of the pool whether in or out of the shade. The rooms were incredible and the staff was unbelievable. We were always greeted with a warm greeting and everything we asked for we got. The only drawback I could give to the resort would be the beach. The water was very rough and is not conducive to a relaxing swim. However, it was fun for us to bodysurf the waves. Based on my two stays at Playa the beach south of the city is more calm. I had a friend return from a resort south of the city 5 days after we returned and the water was extremely calm. So I can't really attribute the roughness to the time of year. All in all our stay was fantastic and we are planning a return trip with a large group of friends towards the end of the year.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,886)

Denver, CO
Reviewed May 28, 2003

We stayed at the Iberstar Paraiso del Mar from May 21 to May 28 and had a fabulous time. It is very hot and humid this time of year, but it doesn't really matter when you have the ocean and pools to jump into whenever you want. The grounds are very lovely with tropical vegetation and many different forms of wildlife. It is a very large place, but the walks are enjoyable. We read all the reviews for this resort before booking our package and most are on target. The restaurants are all very good, but the buffet does get a little repetitive, as others indicated. But hey, it is better food than I normally eat, so I'm not about to complain! One thing we liked is that it is fairly casual. You can wear a t-shirt and shorts to the buffet if you wish and men can wear a pair of khakis to the specialty restaurants. The rooms are nice, very clean with large bathrooms and they all have balconies. The maids will decorate your room with flowers and towel swans, which is a nice touch. The pool is beautiful. There are several sections for different activities (watersports, lounging, drinking, etc). The beach is nice, but you really do have to be down there by 8:30 to secure a chair with shade. If you don't want shade, you can find a spot any time of day. There is some fairly good snorkeling on the south end of the beach, outside of the fenced swim area. The people at the dive shop are very nice, but it is a little expensive. We, however, found it worth it because it was more hassel taking our equipment into town only to get accosted by everyone wishing to get your business. The reefs are great with a ton of diversity. Be sure to cash in on your one free dive if you stay 7 nights. The entertainers are wonderful people who work very hard at what they do. They lead activities all day and are on stage all night. Some reviews said it was cheesy, but we thought they did a great job. Overall, I have no real complaints about this resort. The people work very hard to please you and are fun to get to know. I would recommend

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed May 27, 2003

This resort was awesome! This was my husband and I's honeymoon. We have never been out of the United States on a trip and were very cautious. We had no problems with anything. Everyone was very helpful if we were unsure of anything. The resort was magnificent. We have no complaints except that we had to leave. I would recommend this for anyone including children. We saw many families and older couples. It was truely a delight for everyone no matter who you are. We met so many people from all over the world. What an experience. When we travel back to Mexico we will be staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar. I am so glad that it was our honeymoon spot. Thanks to our travel agent who was most helpful and for whom we will always do business with.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mississauga, ON
Reviewed May 25, 2003

My husband & I went to Paraiso Beach for our honeymoon from May 11-17 - we could not have imagined a more perfect honeymoon! Our room was in the 35 block overlooking the waterfall & even though there was construction right next door, we didn't ever hear it unless we were outside - and even then, it was never an all-consuming noise. If our room had faced the other way, I could see how it might be annoying but the rooms were virtually sound-proof so I doubt it. The food was good - I'm not a picky-eater & I always found lots to eat. My husband is very "particular" about what he eats & found the selection at the buffet a little old after a while but he never complained about quality. FYI - not all of the a la carte restaurants are air-conditioned (I wished we'd known this!): the tropical & the steakhouse are open-air, and while they are very good, if you're looking to cool down & eat, try for the mediterranean & the japanese (both are absolutely AMAZING)...what else? the room was amazing & Vidalia our maid left us chocolates & re-stocked the fridge (if we left a note asking & 10 pesos) daily. we had our own little clothes-line on the balcony, marble throughout, the bed was nice & hard & the pillows were great. There was no alarm clock in the room but the wake-up call service always worked when we needed it!the pool was great... a couple of people have mentioned the water gets hot by 3 or 4 (although, really, think about it people - if it's 33C plus humidity, the pool is going to get hot!!) but we hung out at the beach most of the time (for the breeze!) & were only at the pool in the mornings (on our way down to the beach) and just before dinner (on our way back from the beach!)... and sometimes, we'd go for an after-dinner swim - the pool's deserted then except for the pool-boys & we got some funny looks but the temp was great. the beach was great too... we never had problems finding shade, but we may have just gotten lucky. a couple of dthat wasn't anything anyone could control. The boats were ok & sailing was fun - great view of the beach from the ocean. The beach was incredibly clean & there's a roped-off swimming area which is a good size. No jellyfish that we noticed but if you take a hotdog bun or something with you, you can either feed the fish off the dock, or go in waste deep & you'll get swarmed by angel fish, needle fish & baby barracudas (that aren't really but they look like them & that's what I call them). It's fun & they don't bite - as long as you let go of the bread!the staff was incredible - we tipped the first night in the buffet & got remembered & got great service the rest of the week... fyi - if you're rude & demanding, you'll get crappy service (one night, there were a group of people demanding refills, etc & the waiters ignored their curses & we got treated like royalty!!)... So, while the staff was incredible, we found the other tourists a little rude. They were overwhelmingly European & American (I think we were the only Canadians there!) & most of them were really pushy, rude & loud. Sorry, but it was true.Finally, if you go into Playa del Carmen, remember to bargain - you can get at least 50% off the marked prices (just don't pull out a full wallet before you start bargaining or you'll get no where). Hubby took awhile to get the hang of it, but be ruthless & be prepared to walk away - that's when you get the good prices!Have fun! We're already planning to go back for our anniversary!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2003

Recently we visited the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar during the second week of May/2003. Have to say right away that we had a great time. This resort has two names (Del Mar and Beach) to distinguish between the two sides of the resort. We stayed on the Del Mar side.Advantages to the Del Mar side are that it contains the 24 hour buffet restaurant, Disco, pool tables, internet cafe and photolab.Both sides of the resort contain a buffet restaurant (breakfast/lunch/diner), snack bar (late breakfast/afternoon lunch), and 3 a la cartes. Del Mar a la cartes are: Mediterranean, Brazilian, and Tropical. Beach a la cartes are: Japanese, Mexican, and Steakhouse. Regardless of which side of the resort that you stay on, you have full access to both sides.We arrived on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm. This was perfect timing for us as it gave us a chance to familize ourselves with the resort the first evening to get ready for the rest of the week. Of course the first thing that we had to check out were the pools (spectacular) and ocean. After doing a quick walk around, we were in the swimsuits and in the pool with a drink in hand. There are two swim-up bars, well technically three as one of the bars has two sides that cater to two different pools. The main pool enables you to swim all the way from the waterfalls, through the activity pool (water volleyball and water basketball), through the jazucci area and down to the main pool bar area. Then if you get out of the pool there and walk about 2 seconds you will be in the second pool which also contains a jazucci. The second pool is where the day activities are held, (aquasize and participation games).Individual Reviews:Food: We found that the quality of the food at the a la cartes was great, much much better than other resorts we have stayed at. We tried the Japanese, Mediterranean and Steakhouse....my favorite being the Steakhouse. The buffets were really good, but not enough variety for my liking. I ended up eating pretty much the same thing each time I went. The stur every need. Pretty much as soon as you are finished with your drink, they are offering you another. Or when you are finished with you plate they clear it away right away enabling you to go back for seconds without have a cluttered table. One thing that I particularly liked about the restaurants, whether it was buffet or a la carte, was that you were offered drinks from the bar if you wanted, where as other resorts I have been to, there isn't a full service bar in the buffet areas.....just beer and non-alcohol drinks. Another nice benefit of this resort is that they offer free room service until 11pm.Pools: All I can say is that these were out of this world. We spent every day at the pool with the exception of one day that we went to the beach. The pools had so much activity going on and it was just so nice to be laying beside the pool getting hot and then going for a dip to come back out again and lay back in the sun. Also the pools were convenient for restrooms. You will find that if you are looking for meeting up with other people and making new friends, you will do this in the pools at the swim-up bars.Beach: The beach was really nice, hearing the ocean waves while relaxing in the sun is something that I enjoy a lot. However the problem with the beach is that people get up at 6am to go down and reserve their spots for the day. I am serious, it was the most annoying thing. We went down one day just after 10am and everything was taken so we had to go back to the pools. The next morning I got up early determined to find a spot on the beach. I went down at 7am and layed there watching individuals come down with 5 or so beach towels reserving for other people and then leaving and not returning until after they had breakfast. Most people it seemed reserved their spot starting from 6am to 8:30am and then actually came back about 9:30am or so to use their spot.Entertainment: There is a nightly show in the main theatre which is in the center of the two sides of the resort. Participation games start around 8:30pm andd in the lobby areas that tells you the entertainment planed for the week. We went each night, it was a lot of fun...but I must admit that we left early a couple of evenings as a couple of the shows were boring. After the main show ends (around 11:30pm), most people head over to the Disco which closes at 3am. We went a couple of nights and had a good time.Grounds: Well I had read a lot of reviews before I went to this resort about the size. Yes it is very big and does involve a lot of walking to get from the very end (beach) to the top (lobbys). However I enjoyed the walks. It felt nice to get some excerise after doing pretty much nothing but relaxing all day. Not to mention after eating, it was nice to walk off some of those calories. However if you aren't into walks, you can take the shuttles that run up and down each outer edge of the resort. I saw a few people using these, but to me I couldn't be bothered to sit there waiting for a shuttle when it only would take approx. 10 mins to walk the full distance of the resort. Also walking gave you the chance to enjoy the gardens and wildlife living on the resort (turkeys, flamigos, swans, turtles, peacocks, cats, koi fish, parrots, and geckos).Room and Maid Service: The room was nice but not sound resistant. We stayed on the ground floor and could hear everything. Every morning I awoke to kids running and hollaring down the halls of our building. Maybe if we weren't on the ground floor, we might not have heard it as much, but oh well. I just wish that parents would have more control of their kids at 8am in the morning. We got use to the wildlife noise for the most part. The peacocks have a habit of screaming like cats all day and night when people are near them. Every room has a balcony, safe and mini bar. The mini bar for the most part is refilled each day, but they only garantee it every two days to be refilled. Our maid really did up our room one day (our second day, I think), we came back to flowers everywhere and a towel swan on the bed with the sheets done is because it doesn't happen. We were actually disappointed in how long it took for the room to get made up. We would go for out for the full day and return around 2-3pm and the room still wouldn't be done, so we would have to go out again....a little annoying if you want to take an afternoon nap.Well if you are still reading at this point (I know I am pretty drawn out), the resort overall was great. We had a really good time. Would we recommend it, of course!!! Just as long as you don't expect perfection, you will have a wonderful time. Like with everything, it has it ups and downs...but in the end the goods definately outweight the bads. Have a great time.....if you have any questions don't hestiate to email me......

40  Thank GioOntario_Canada
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 18, 2003

I can truely say this hotel is the most beautiful I have ever seen. The floors were all marble and looked as if they had been polished every day. We never saw so much as a piece of trash on the ground. This place is immaculate! Our room was plenty big, we used the sofa as a 3rd bed. Not much to watch on the TV but they do have Nickelodeon for the kids. Everyone from the front desk to the grounds keepers were very polite and appreciative.(something that is forgotten in America) The food was great! I really liked the buffets. The bell boys (men) were great! We did take the trip to Coba not worth the $75.00 we paid. My sister swam with the dolpins and loved it. ALso great shopping in Playa Del Carmen. It was much hotter than I expected. This was an EXCELLENT place to stay. I truely felt like I was a Queen! The problem is when you get home and reality hits and you realize your not!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2003

I am lucky to have visited this resort twice in the last year. The first time was in July 2002 and i spent two weeks there, the first week i was a little shy so i wasn't having much fun, however due to my mom eating some meat(don't eat raw meat left out in the open air buffets by the beach) i was left to take up dance lessons. I quickly became friends with the starfriends, and spent the last week chilling, and partying with the group. I have to tell you the entertainment was excellent and the starfriends are very good dancers, not to mention that they took very good care of me when we went in to playa del carmen or cancun at night. The food in the buffets was often better then the food in the specialty restaurants. accomodations were good, nice furnishings in the rooms and the pillows were farely good for hotel pillows. The staff at iberostar are extremly friendly. Even the people working in the gardens or maitnance didn't hesitate to say "hola, como estas" overall this resort was excellent, even my mom who was sick for 4 days would go back. As long as your smart about what you eat and you don't drink tap water you will have an excellent vacation. If you pick this as your destination have lots of fun!

6  Thank kkpfrase
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#50 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!