We have returned from a fabulous 2 weeks at the Mayan Palace resort. We were fortunate in being able to enjoy a suite with two bedrooms plus sleeping accommodation in the lounge area so the suite can accommodate at least 6 adults with ease. Visitors should note that there two main resorts on the site - the other one (The Grande Mayan) is newer and offers slightly higher grade rooms and is also being expanded with some luxury rooms as well. Both resorts share facilities like restaurants and some of the swimming pools and golf courses.
Overall, the standard of accommodation and facilities is very high and we were very impressed and pleased. Some points to note:-
1. Our rooms were out overlooking the golf course and thus a few minutes walk from Reception and about 5-10 minutes from the main pool area which has most restaurants and the shop. If you don't feel up to the walk, the hotel offers a fairly frequent shuttle service operated by electric carts.
2. Check your bill - we had two items on our bill which belonged to others. Reception soon remedied the errors but their cash-less system is not fool-proof!
3. Don’t use the credit card phones in the room. We had to ring our bank and was landed with a GBP60 bill for a 15 minute call back to the UK. If your bank does not accept return charges – use your mobile, its much cheaper!
4. The sales pitch for the new resort units is stated to be "about an hour" and currently includes a free breakfast and a cash rebate on you bill as inducement to attend. The benefits were worth the time but our session easily went to 3 hours before we called a halt.
5. The resort is about 15minutes north of Playa del Carmen and there is a mini-bus service linking the two. We used this several times to visit the Wal-Mart and local supermarket as well as Playa itself - its just much easier than trying to find parking and is reasonably priced.
6. We hired a car for a few days from the on-site car rental (Alamo) which worked well and allowed us to self-drive to Chichen Itza and take two days. We stayed locally to the site which allowed us to walk in to the ruins first thing in the morning when it is both cooler and far less crowded. Highly recommended. We also used the car to visit the ruins at Coba and swim in the cenotes (underground caves/rivers) again at times when they were virtually empty.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Riviera
- Mayan Palace Cancun
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya
- Cancun Grand Mayan
- Grand Maya Mayan Riviera
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Mayan Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Mayan Palace Riviera Maya Mexico
- Mayan Palace Riviera Maya Playa Paraiso, Mexico