“Beware of Timeshare & Great Vacations Club High Pressure Sales”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beware of Timeshare & Great Vacations Club High Pressure Sales”
Reviewed July 21, 2005

We arrived at the Mayan Palace in the Riviera Maya on March 26th, 2005 through an RCI exchange. We were offered an upgrade to the Grand Mayan if we attended a 90 minute timeshare sales presentation. The following day we were subjected to a 6 hour high pressure marathon sales event scripted to befuddle ones senses and strip down ones resolve.

1. We were repeatedly told that the offer was only good for the time of the presentation and that once we left the offer could not be extended due to Mexican Law. We find no evidence of such a law.

2. We were not made aware of the 5 day cooling off period provided by Mexican Law. Had we know, we would have cancelled our membership during our stay.

3. We were promised 14 weeks of 2 bedroom accommodations at RCI Gold Crown resorts for only $349 per week. What was glossed over when we signed was that the wording on the document changed. We signed thinking our accomodations were going to be 2 weeks for $349.00 when we got our package, it was from $349.00. I have tried searching your site and not only have I not been able to find any accommodations for quoted $349, I have not been able to find any accommodation for locations that we wish to travel for the time periods for which we can travel.

4. We were promised 14 weeks of last minute (within 30-days) 2 bedroom accommodations at RCI Gold Crown resorts for only $199 per week. What was glossed over when we signed was that the wording on the document changed, instead of for $199 it was changed to from $199. I have tried searching your site and not only have I not been able to find any accommodations for less than double the $199 all of the availability that I can find is for common hotel rooms, these we can get cheaper online.

5. The sales price for the Mayan Palace timeshare started at $45,000 to purchase 2 weeks of a 2 bedroom unit and fell to $8,000 for 1 week of a 1 bedroom unit every other year 6 hours later. After we finally got away from that pressure cooker, we were asked to fill out a survey. We thought we were free. It was then that the Vacation Package was pitched to us. We said we just wanted to go sit at the pool and have margaritas. We were served Margaritas and coerced into buying the vacation package just so we could leave. We even came back the next day to try to discuss the package as we did not want to continue this. We were unable to talk to anyone about it as they were all tied up.

This was suppose to be a fun vacation for our family, not spent being pressured. We have since discovered many recent complaints about the groups sales tactics. The outright fraudulent lie about the cancellation period, other lies, half truths and omissions - their sales practices reflect poorly on the entire chain as being "questionable".

• Stayed March 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 18, 2005

Ok where to start with this trip….! My friends step dad has a time share and he and his girlfriend were going to the Mayan Palace in Cancun for the week of July 9 – 16. They arrived Sunday 9th and checked in, he informed them that 2 other guests would be staying with them and he needed to schedule a shuttle to pick us up at the airport. The informed him that he could not have guests stay with him, is showed them that the reservation was for 4 people. The proceeded to tell him that it is for 2 adults and 2 children and since we were not children we are not allowed to sleep in the other double bed. After 3 hours of fighting with the people they finally agreed to let us stay for an extra $80 a night. They said that the extra money was because they would have to do extra laundry……ok so kids don’t use towels and sheets!?!?, and 80 dollars a DAY!? What kind of BS is that!!! So since we had no choice he paid the money. We arrive on Sunday and all seems ok, except for the $15 a person for a shuttle from the airport but that is another story! We proceed to the pool and immediately notice a lovely smell of what appears to be sewage water. I am not saying that the “mote” around the “Boutique” was sewage water but it sure smelled like it. We make it to the pool and only after being bit 6 times by crows…well we would call them crows, at the Mayan Palace they call them mosquitoes. We get into the pool and find out that it is happy hour, from 11 am to noon. Drinks are buy one get one free, so we enjoy a few drinks during happy hour and then continue on for a few hours after. Life is good….until we get the bill and see that the drinks start at roughly $7 us a piece and some went as high as $12!!! That is insane, we are in Mexico people drinks should not cost that much in Mexico. So we realize that we will be broke if we keep drinking $7 dollar drinks all day, so we had to go to Playa del Carman to stock up one alcohol. After the pool we went back to the room to get cleaned up for dinner, while there we were approached by a employee who offered to get us what ever we wanted…”Blow, weed….” All we had to do is ask. Well being a police officer we didn’t ask! We get dressed to go to dinner walked out into a cloud of toxic gas! They were fumigating for crows and we were forced back into our room until the all clear sign was given. While in our room we did enjoy a great view of…. Well a view of scrub brush and what appeared to be a pump house. Although you could see a lovely view of the other building under construction and if you looked WAY off in the distance you could see the ocean over the tree tops. We proceeded to dinner and my wife ordered the shrimp, when the food arrived she was given a plate of 6 shrimp, a table spoon of under cooked rice and a table spoon of potatoes, all for the cheap price $22 dollars! After leaving dinner we decided to hang out buy the pool and have some drinks and talk….here come the crows and inside we went! Our room was nice…if we were hobbits! The living area was roughly 10ft by 18ft, and with 2 double beds made for very tight quarters. We ended up just going to bed and calling it a day.

Day 2
We rise fresh and hungry. We head off to the breakfast buffet. After getting an omelet, some juice and coffee, my wife canned pears and some juice our bill was roughly $30. Are you kidding me!?!? After breakfast we head back to the pool and enjoy a few more happy hour drinks. We then look for other stuff to do at the resort….very little shopping, can’t swim on the beach because of the reef and all the trash! Everything else cost an ungodly amount of money…so back to the pool. We ordered lunch from the pool grill and it was pretty good, still a little pricey but not bad. We ended up lying by the pool all day because to be honest there just wasn’t much else to do their. Dinner was at the Italian restaurant, it was good but as usual expensive. They had some shows in the evenings but we never made it to them, so I cannot comment on how they were.

Day 3
We sat through the time share presentation, to be honest our sales person knew of our problems up front so he never really expected us to buy a time share. So that experience with him was not bad but of course his supervisor had to come over to save the day and ended up getting a ear full from my wife. He said that the resort actually did us a favor for letting us stay with our friends and ONLY charging us $80 a day. That was it my wife had heard enough! I will quote the best I can “a favor…a favor you call this a favor!? It costs $80 dollars a day because of the extra laundry!? Like kids don’t use laundry!? You should be paying us to stay at this ----! Because kids don’t go to the bar and spend hundreds of dollars on over priced drinks and kids don’t go to the expensive restaurants and order overpriced bottles of wine. And kids aren’t going to sit through your precious time share presentation that as we were informed 4 out of 10 people buy a time share. So you should be paying us to stay here!” Well that pretty much ended the sales presentation! He also tried to tell us that the all inclusive really wasn’t such a great deal, the only difference is with an all inclusive you pay up front and without you pay after. Well let me break the math down, all inclusive at one of the resorts was roughly an extra 40 dollars a day. Well lets look at this:
•Breakfast $15
•Lunch $10 if you eat cheap
•Dinner $25
oSo for food alone that is $50
•Drinks roughly $7 a drink if you drink from noon to 12am which is Very realistic on my vacation! Lol If you average 1.5 drinks an hour that will be 18 drinks * $7 = $126 + 50 for food and you end up spending $176 per day per person! So between me and my wife we end up saving $176 dollars per day and over 7 days we save $1,204! I am not the best at math but I can do that!!!

Well I could continue but that would take way to much time so below I listed the problems we had with the resort:

1.Small rooms
7.Beach was un-swim able because of the reef
8.Food was WAY overpriced for what you got
9.Drinks were WAY overpriced for what you got
10.Charged $80 dollars extra a day for 2 adults to stay in the room
11.Were told that since we had so much trouble at the resort we could get 40% off of any trip we wanted…They lied! The would only give us 15% off.
12.Told our friends that there was no all inclusive package to the Ex Carta or how ever you spell it. So the went and found out after that there was a all inclusive package. The ended up spending $800 us on the trip for 4 people after food and drinks!!!
13.Friends went to a restaurant to order 3 “Crazy Monkys” the bill was $35. This was because according to the bar tender “We had to use Gray Goose Vodka” Well I ordered them all day at the swim up bar and the didn’t have to use Gray Goose Vodka!!! Bar tender trying to rip us off!
14.Crows(Mosquitoes) were BAD!
15.Fumigation was bad!
16.Shuttle from and to the airport was $15 a piece.
17.Smell of stagnate water was bad!
18.NO ALL INCLUSIVE!!!! So they charge what they want and you have to pay or get on a bus at the main gate and go to Playa del Carman. Which didn’t help us being as there was NO refrigerator in our room!
19.They screwed up our shuttle as we were trying to leave, our ticket said 7am and they put in the computer 7pm.
20.Our TV did not work in the room, took 2 days to fix.
21.Every night house keeping would come into the room and take one and only one of the comforters off the bed roll it up and hide it! The would then place 2 Hershey kisses on the bed. It became a running joke to see who could find the comforter! Still don’t know why they did that! Lol
22.Beds were HARD as rocks, didn’t bother me to much but my wife could not sleep at all!
23.Pillows were the same way
24.Staff could care less about your complaints!

Let me just say that if you have never been anywhere better then you might like the place is ok, but we stayed at the Moon Palace only 15 minutes up the road for our honey moon and it was absolutely wonderful! EVERYTHING about the Moon Palace was better including the pool! All inclusive is the ONLY way to go, that way you don’t spend the entire trip worrying about how much you are spending on food and drinks. After this trip I was so upset that I came home and wanted to buy the domain name “MayanPalace-----” to post my complaint, but apparently somebody else had the same idea and bought the domain before I could! Don’t get me wrong I am not one that complains about everything, I never complain and from the last trip to Mexico have NO complaints!! So if you want to have a good time in Cancun this is not the place for you!

84 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
springfield, pa
Reviewed July 17, 2005

My husband and I and another couple spent the week of July 9 thru the 16 at the Mayan Palace. First of all the resort and grounds are lovely and huge. Our condos were 1 bedroom with a kitchenette. Living area, bedroom and bathroom were beautiful. The kitchen had a coffe maker, toaster, blender, microwave, two burner stove, service for 10 of dishes, and silverware, plus all the pots you could ever want. The maid service was outstanding, especially Rosa, she was a doll! Supplied everything we asked for quickly and always had a smile. The resort staff were great and always pleasant.

The pool was amazing. It was warm and we never had a problem finding chaises in the shade. Securing the beds however, were a different story as most of those were taken early in the morning. Honestly, I think the people got up at 4AM to stake their claim on one. The pool service was good and happy hour was from 11 to 12 and 7-8 at the bar in Tramonto.

Husband played golf twice and the course was in great shape. Price was $55 for all you can play including cart and clubs. In season, its $150 to play eighteen.

Beach was as everyone mentioned not really swimable, but still lovely with hammocks and lounges. The rentals for jet skis, and sail boats were quite reasonable. Think it was 75 for jet skis, and 45 for sail boats. It costs more at the Jersey shore.

The only observations not really complaints we had were the restaurants prices, the lack of direct free transportation from the resort to Playa del Carmen or Cancun, and the lack of adult activities in the evening.

The restaurant prices were okay if you were a couple, but there were many families at this resort, with very young children who did not expect the incredibly high prices, also the resort is a distance from the nearest town, Playa del Carmen, which has grocery stores but the resort supplied no FREE. (the key is Free) transportation for them to travel on in order to purchase the groceries. We really felt that it would benefit the resort if they offered a free shuttle from the lobby to Playa for these services. Also, it would be great if they had a club for us night owls who like to dance and have a good time after 11PM. Yes, they had shows, bingo, a casino night, but everything was over around 11, and again getting to and from Playa or Cancun at 1AM can be a hassle. It would have been great if they had a shuttle running until then, we would have paid the 5 bucks for the ride.

To sum it up, we had a good time. Would we go back; probably not to Riviera Maya, another Mayan resort maybe. Our prayers and best wishes go to the staff as the day we left they were preparing for the arrival of hurricane Emily, we hope they are all fine and safe!

44 Thank bappo
North Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2005

I have never in my life experienced such a nightmare. From the moment I stepped off the airplane my girlfriend and our two guests were lied to, stolen from and mislead. We were offered "smoke" and "blow" (marijuana/cocaine) at the resort by one of the room service personnel. My girlfriend and one of our female guests were harassed by some of the construction workers while walking to the pool area. We paid over $50 for two chicken sandwiches, 3 alcohol drinks and ice water. Paid over $30 for breakfast each morning. The room we stayed in had no coffee maker, no refrigerator and the worst view. We left 4 days early and spent over $400 to have our airplane tickets changed...which actually saved us money because for the 3 1/2 days we were there cost us over $1000 charged to our room. On the way home we started a journal of our experience and so far have 3 pages of a legal pad full and that’s only through the 2nd day. PLEASEEEEEE if you ever decide to travel to Mexico feel free to contact me.

30 Thank Motor200
Reviewed July 13, 2005

Spent July 2-July 9 at the Grand Mayan. I have owned @ Mayan Resorts for over 5 years. It just gets better and better. 3 years ago when we visited this resort which was very much under construction, we were assured that we would love the finished product. It's still not finished, but it is impressive and beautiful. I can never say enough about the Mexican hospitality. I travel to Mexico 2-3 times a year to fish. This year we chartered a 53' Hatteras out of Puerto Adventuras, about 35 minutes south of the resort. Caught and released 2 sailfish, and caught 2 large Dorado, (Mahi-Mahi). Brought the fish back to the resort where we were staying in 3 grand Mayan suites with 19 other family members. Took the fish to the Tumtah resturant right on the beach, and for 12.00 usd a person they prepared the fish 3 different ways and served it with rice and vegetables.
Absolutley first class. I have traveled all over the world, and the Mayan Resorts are truly 5 star offerings. Great Food, priced reasonalbly for the quality and presentation, Clean, comfortable, stylish rooms with great kitchenettes. Hospitality is unsurpassed. For those who write in poor reviews of the resort based on getting a gift for going to a time share presentation.....you get what you pay for. If you just want the freebie and have no interest in buying....they are sharks and will devour you. If you truly are looking for a top notch time share holding, then look at this place real seriously. They are getting ready to open in Cabo San Lucas, Buenas Aires, and Costa Rica. We have been to their resorts in Nuevo Vallarta and Acapulco. Aa far as the mosquito spraying...welcome to the tropics folks. Believe me, the alternative is worse than a good case of the measles. I will be back in December for some more relaxation and great weather. By the way, the concierge and their staff are great. The pool is wonderful, and despite other reviews I have read, there is plenty of shade available around the pool and on the beach. The Spa and Gym are of the same quality I have been to in Beverly Hills and the famous Bacarra Resort in Santa Barbara. This is a far better place to stay then along hotel row in Cancun....Like Miami Beach on Steroids. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to e mail me.

41 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hartford, CT
Reviewed July 12, 2005

My group and I stayed at the Grand Mayan from June 20, 2005 - July 1, 2005. I would consider myself to be a well traveled indivisual considering I am living in a hotel 2-3 weeks a month for work. I generally always stay at Starwood Hotels (Westin, St. Regis, Shearton, etc.); however, for this trip we decided to take a chance with the Grand Mayan. As a point of reference, the hotel is a "dual" property, which mean the property houses the "Mayan Palace Hotel" & "Grand Mayan". The difference is the "Mayan Palace Hotel" is considered to be the "lower-end" hotel facility in comparison to the "Grand Mayan". Most of the folks who stay at the "Grand Mayan" are timeshare owners. However, one could also pay per night, like a hotel, to stay in the "Grand Mayan". Our group worked out a deal with a timeshare owner and purchased their week from them, which was very cost effective.

Hotel Review:
The Grand Mayan is fantasic, rooms are very large with all high-end fixtures including two hot tubs in the bathroom areas and a "cooling pool" on the balcony. All marble flooring and stone counter tops. The hotel sits on a large piece of land and there will be considerable walking involved to move between your building and the lobby, pool and dinning areas; however, the walking would not be any more to a 5-10 minute walk at most.

Pool:
If I had to put a number on it, I would say 95% of the people who ultimately choose to stay at the this resort are doing so for the pool. It is the largest pool in Mexico and Central America. Personnally, having traveled to many "water-themed hotels" (e.g. Atlantis, Disney World, etc.) this pool is considerably larger than any I have seen elsewhere.

Dinning:
The hotel had good food by the pool for lunch, reasonably priced ($7-10 USD) for burgers, wraps, hot dogs, etc. The other rest. are good too; however, we found the one "high-end" rest. in the main building to be the best for steaks and pasta dishes. The "high-end" rest. was on average $30 USD a plate. Similar food you'd find at a nice steakhouse in the states.

Timeshare:
To be honest, every third review people post on this website regarding this hotel have to do with a "horrible" experience they had when they were suckered into the Mayan time share presentations. The first point I'd like to make is that "ANY" timeshare presentation, regardless if it's in Mexico is going to be a high-stress sales pitch. If those folks who complain on this site haven't figured it out, it's the timeshare sales people's job to sell you a product, they did not intend for you to get your free tickets and walk-out without trying every means of selling you on the property. For those who were suckered into the presentation and walked away with a sour taste in their mouth for the Mayan properties, I understand your fustration; however, the treatment you received from the independent time share sales folks in NO WAY represents the vacation experience someone would have at the hotel. My group was never approached by anyone from the timeshare sales teams. This is probably because we didn't give those people the time of day during the hotel check-in process. If you're straight and upfront at the start of our holiday vacation to not sit through the presentation you'll have a wonderful vacation. However, if you're trying to "get something for nothing", like 95% of the people who went to the presentation and wrote up a bad review subsequently, then you probably had the hassle coming to you for the "free gift". Nothing in life is free and if you would expect to get "free tickets, upgrades, etc." without having to go through some pain first, then you're kidding yourself.

Summary:
All in all, the hotel property was great and I found the staff to be friendly and nice. Keep in mind that taxis are not cheap and can be bargained for.

• Stayed June 2005
50 Thank DiamondMember78
Reviewed July 9, 2005

Just got in from Mayan Palace and overall... GREAT VISIT! Quite honestly, I was a little concerned after reading some of the recent postings. After experiencing the resort for myself, my conclusion is that some people must complain about everything. Let me begin with this: Food, very good, and well presented. We had dinner several times in Tum Tah; steaks, seafood, with asian flare. Pricey.... we didn't think so. I had seared tuna steak - 18 usd, and my husband had rib-eye, 22usd. Honestly, that's what we would have spent here in Kansas City; as most of us will spend at least that much in our home cities for a nice seafood and steak dinner. So pricey... I don't think so. Drinks.... beer, approx. 3.50 us, cocktails... 5-7us. Again.... don't we spend that here in the states...(example: I spent 11 dollars for "knock-your-socks-off" martinis in Phoenix, gee, I spend 7.50 a drink on martinins here in Kansas City.) Most of the time, our drinks were quite tasty. I did have to send one drink back.... my waiter replaced it; free of charge. As far as "bar type" food, great burgers, pretty good pizza, and fantastic chips and guacomole (which by the way, burgers about 7 us, chips and salsa with gaucomole, around 5us - I may be off a few cents or so.) Also - wonderful bar located above the convenience store - happy hour each evening from 7-8; except for Wed. evening, it 8-9pm. Note: happy hour in this bar is limited to certain types of drinks..... they do have signature drinks that can cost in upwards of 10us each. However, great ambiance, tastefully decorated... great place to unwind if you need to. We used it as an hour getway from the kids.
As you've probably read.. it is a large resort, however, we didn't really feel it by the measurement of people. We stayed in bldg. 3 of the Mayan... short walk to pool, store, rest. and bars. The Grand Mayan is adjacent from the Mayan, and unless you're walking to the El Lago for breakfast, it is a little "jaunt" to other rest., the pool, etc. However, keep in mind, the Grand boasts a few more "comfort" amenities than the Mayan, ie., granite baths, a little more space, more upscale furnishings, and I believe there's a bathing pool on the balconies. They also have the lake and golf course views. Don't want to sugar coat, it's a large resort, so if you're looking for "quaint", this probably won't do. But if you're looking for resort type amenities.... good place to book.
Brio, the gym and spa.... Fantastic. If you're a Mayan member, no fee. If not, it may be 10 us or upward toward 20 us. (Once again... let's be fair... I stayed in the Luxor in Vegas this past June for business.... $18 to work out, and not near the facility. ) Although I didn't receive any spa services, I did check the prices and felt they were reasonable... especially if you've been to any Phoenix resorts lately. The beach... definitely needs some work. There is beach area and palapas for shade... entry into the ocean is another story. Lots of rock and coral. From my understanding, it's a work in progress. You can take a walk up the beach (toward Playa Del Carmen) approx. 10 minutes, and find a quiet inlet that allows for great swimming. There is also reef in the area... we were able to see lots of fish as we enjoyed the water and were able to get "upclose and personal" with reef that housed many urchins and other marine life. Not to say the walk wasn't a bit of a pain... but hey... it is what it is.
Other notes: this resort is not in Cancun... it's Playa Del Carmen. So, don't expect to be able to just hop in taxi and go down the street to Cancun. Its takes approx. 30-40 minutes to get to Cancun, and approx. 20 minutes to get to downtown Playa Del Carmen. Taxi fare to Playa Del Carmen, (we paid 15 us, arranged by our bell person at Mayan). You can take the bus for around 1 us - just depends on your preferred mode of transportation. (Again.. pricey.. maybe, but it "is what it is"... hate to keep bringing up past experiences, but.... been to Vegas lately? Took a cab from the Convention Center to Luxor maybe 8 miles... fare... $15.) Nice driver... we arranged for him to pick us up around 10pm at our drop off... he was there! I wanted to pick up a few grocery items while in town; he dropped me at a bank for the ATM, then to the grocery. I asked how much for the extra service, he said 5 us.... Extremely fair.. I tipped him well. Overall... very nice resort. Workers diligently work around the clock to be of service, and in keeping the resort clean. I honestly think they have a worker on hand at the beach bathrooms full-time. There was someone mopping, cleaning toilets, almost everytime I visited the restroom. With 700+ rooms at the resort, you've got to love that! Yes food and drink may be on the pricey side.. but it is a resort hotel. It's not any different than what most of us are use to paying here in the US. It bothers me that people expect that it has to be cheap because they're in Mexico. You can get cheap in Mexico... there are many inexpensive places to stay - just google and you'll find them. If 5 star comfort is not high on your priority list... find other places to stay.
Lastly... Mexico is a beatiful place to visit. We have visited many times in the last 10 years because of the beaches, water, and mostly its people. They are "5 star". My family and I will continue to visit for many years to come. Lastly... although we found the majority of workers at the resort able to speak and understand english well, don't be put off if someone has to work a little harder to understand you. Afterall, you're in their country. My husband and I thought to ourselves as we closed our trip "how impressed we were that the tourism industry in Mexico works extremely hard in the education of its workers regarding the english language". Yet most of us take little interest in learning their language, let alone their culture, when visting THEIR country.
In closing, if you chose Mayan, have a great time, enjoy the shows (9pm nightly, free of charge, except for Thursday evening, Fiesta nite - and it's around $46 us (adults) includes open bar, 1/2 price for kids, and $20 - no dinner, just drinks and the show), bask in the most beautiful pool I've seen yet, and get a chance to know your servers. You never know how you might enlighten the life of someone else; better yet, they just may enlighten yours. Best regards - RhondaE - Kansas City

98 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Family Club at Grand Riviera Princess
Family Club at Grand Riviera Pri...
#58 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!