Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$277
$240
$848
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
$327
$682
$466
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Beach(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$320
$264
  • Breakfast included
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$408
$222
$347
$305
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
4,314 results
All reviewshavana moonplaya del carmentimeshare presentationrented a carfront gatetime share presentationplaya expresssmall kitchenhappy hour isminute walk to the poolhigh pressuretimeshare salesone bedroom suiteno cash policymexican fiestaresort feevidanta resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed for 2 weeks as we do ever year in Mexico, this was our first time at this resort and we are owners through RCI. First week in a master suite at Mayan Palace and second week at the Grand Mayan. We called several months in advance to request a lower number building to be closer to most things as we had an 8 month pregnant women and a individual with a handicap and was assured we would be in building 5 or lower. Upon check in we were assigned in a much higher building and it took several hours to straighten this issue out and we then waited several more hours for the new room to be ready, finally getting keys to our room at 8pm. Rooms were always very clean, turn down service did not come every night. Maid service often removed dirty towels but forgot to replace with clean ones, or removed the clean pool towels from our room one day when we went into town. Our room keys stopped working every day and after much time spent in the lobby and 2 main fence visits they finally realized the door looks were not properly working. We were told the manager would follow up with us regarding this inconvenience but that did not happen. Pools at the Mayan are very busy and difficult to get a good spot by the pool, in order to get a Palapa you need to be in line by 6 am to reserve. Service around the Mayan pool and beach was very slow for food and beverage however very clean. When we moved to the Grand Mayan we had to call the bellhop 3 times and wait 1.5 hrs for them to finally arrive, they even said they forgot to send someone up. The rooms at the Grand Mayan are much larger and nice but still a distance from the pool or or restaurants but the shuttle service was easy to use. Unfortunately one day at the pool an intoxicated older person fell when getting out of the pool and proceeded to vomit and she'd blood from the head wound into the pool for awhile until any staff arrived to assist. After questionable medical attention ( I'm a nurse and was asked to leave when holding the pt in c spin due to head injury) they poured water on the pool deck to remove the blood, when asked about the blood in pool( my concern was for infectious disease/blood borne pathogens) they explained they will monitor the PH level but had no way to offer sanitization and didn't feel that was necessary. Needless to say we did not swim in that pool again, which was disappointing considering we were paying extra to be in a more luxiourious part of the resort and which included the wonderful pool. The overal quality of the food was just so so and inconsistent service with inflated prices ( coming from CA that's saying a lot) the one bright spot was the guest french chef who was present for our last week and provided us with a wonderful experience! The location of the resort requires a $50 round trip taxi ride to Playa which is very easy to use through the resort but adds up if you do a few times. Overall we were disappointed with our experience especially in comparison to the other resorts we have visited in Mexico. We will not be returning under any circumstances as we feel our money can be better spent on a more quality experience overall.

Room Tip: Demand a room closer to the pools and ocean but no good views anywhere on the resort.
1  Thank Carrie F
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was VEY impressed with this hotel, and think the negative reviews were way overblown. I have been traveling the Caribbean and around the world for many years, this was my third time to Mexico (Cancun once and second time to Mayan Riviera).

We were in building 11 and walked to and from the pool just about every day without a problem. I was traveling with a 2, 4, and 6 year old as well as their Grandmother. NONE of us had a problem with the walk. Would it have been better to be in building 2 - yeah sure but it was not as big a deal as many have made it out to be. We rented a car so building 11 was closer to the lobby and parking which helped out on grocery day.

The staff was great. You could not walk 20 feet without somebody saying hello or asking how you were - Hola and Buenso Dias actually.

The pool(s) were incredible and HUGE. Definitely rent a Palapa, as you can apply the cost towards food or drink, including Happy Hour. The beach was rocky as many mentioned, but not as bad as many said. Also that problem should be a thing of the past as they were actively dredging and covering the rocks with sand while we were there - should be done soon.

We had a 2 bedroom room unit which included a living room and kitchenette, the fridge could have been bigger, but aside from that the room was great. PLENTY of space for the 6 of us and 3 flat screen TV's to keep kids happy. We ate breakfast in the room every day packed a cool with drinks every day and lunch some days. Ate dinner both at the resort and off property. While we were there the "Italian Steak House Restaurant" was converted to a French Menu for 2 weeks with special guest Chef Pierre. He and it was incredible. I am usually not big on French Food but we were ALL licking our plates. it was so good we went back a second night. The Chef was great came out to the table talked to us and the kids and even sent us a receipt we had asked him about by email. Very Impressed!

The timeshare "presentation" was longer then they said, but isn't always?

I am sure I forgot some stuff, but all in all it was great trip. I would go back &/or try some of their other properties, once again very Impressed!

Room Tip: Like every one says try for lower number, but we were in building 11 on first floor and had no complaints. Fully renovated room near Lobby/ Parking and the walking was not bad at all. We ranged from 2 to 65 years old and no body complained about the walking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank andrew d
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Mayan Palace and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. All the buildings and the grounds were immaculate. Cleaning service in our unit was provided every day with fresh sheets and towels, plus turn-down service in the evenings with Hershey's kisses and rose petals waiting for us !!! Everyone from the wait staff to the receptionists to the people working in the gift shop were all extremely friendly, sending an "hola" our way whenever our paths crossed. I'm also very glad that we followed the advice of other reviewers in terms of renting a car. The resort is barely 30 minutes due south from the Cancun airport and we enjoyed having the freedom to come and go as we wished rather than take a shuttle or taxi. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon only to find out that they had put us in Bldg. 20 (after I had requested Bldg. 1-8 by phone before we left home). You don't want to be that far away from the pool, etc. and have to constantly rely on their shuttle service. We managed to change to Bldg. 7 which was a pleasant walk back and forth to the pool . For our first night we had dinner at Havana Moon . For the $90 we paid for our mediocre dinners (with one beer and one water), we bought groceries at Wal-Mart (Playa del Carmen) to last us the entire week. Everything at the resort is VERY EXPENSIVE which is why I'm giving only 4 stars -- unless of course you don't mind paying $7.50 for one scoop of ice cream. So we had breakfast in the room, had a picnic on the beach for lunch, then headed out to Puerto Morelos every night for dinner. It's a cute little beach town about 10 minutes from the resort with loads of great restaurants. Nothing fancy but good food and great prices. We went to several different places all in the vicinity of the town square and weren't disappointed with any of them. All in all we did enjoy our stay and will no doubt return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Elaine F
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was our second time at the resort. First was at the Grand Mayan section and this time at the Mayan Palace. We had requested a 2 BR, handicap equipped suite, but only a 1 BR handicap unit was available. We accepted that and it was of "U.S. quality": walk-in shower, shower seat, grab bars were nedded, etc.

As other reviewers pointed out, the grounds are expansive and you could be in for a long walk if you are in an outer bldg. and cannot utilize the shuttle. (We had a wheelchair.) The grounds also are very well maintained. Rooms are clean and fairly well equipped.

Caveats:
1. TV stations are very limited. No IUS networks except for CNN and Fox News.

2. Internet access is expensive. $16 per day PER DEVICE.

3. Food & beverages are pricey.

4, The infamous Mayan Palace vacation presentations are still infamous. A couple we met said their "presentation" took over 4 hours the last half hour of which was spent with a "closer" who was rude and insulting. We learned years ago the hard way, so we were adament in our refusal to attend However, that did not stop them from using an obvious (to me) ploy when we checked in. We were told that our room needed a "final inspection" before it would be available, and that this would take no more than ten additional minutes. We were told to spend thoise ten minutes with one of the "vacation reps". So, knowing what was going on, the first thing I did when we sat down with the rep was place my watch on the table and tell him his ten minutes had begun. At the 10 minute mark, I took my watvh, stood and said "adios" to him.

So, this can be a great [place for a vacation. Just be aware of my "caveats".

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a building no higher than #8
3  Thank Greg S
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This resort was wonderful! Tips from reviews I had read were a great help. Traveling with my husband and I were another couple that travels with us frequently. They also agreed it was one of the best vacations we have had. We had asked for a room close to the pool. We had a two bedroom two bathroom suite on the 1st floor in building 5. It was perfect, close to everything. We made a trip to the Mega store and picked up some supplies for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks. Had breakfast in the room all but 2 days when we had the breakfast buffet. Had a fantastic meal at the Italian restaurant Tramonto on Valentine’s Day. We also ate at Balche/Frida’s for supper and for service around the pool and beach for lunches. We went to 5th avenue 2 evenings and had dinner there. The beach was at a coral reef but because of reading reviews we brought water shoes. We had no problems with the beach but if you wanted coral free water you just needed to walk a little ways down the beach. The pool was unbelievable and the pictures do not do it justice. To rent one of the covered beds around the pool you need to do it the day before early in the morning. Since I am an earlier riser I did that for one of the days but for the others I just went down and put towels on the chairs either at the beach or the pool. If you rent one of the covered beds it is $30.00 but you get a $30.00 credit towards drinks and food. Happy Hour at the pool was every day from 11:30 until 1. We had picked up beer when we were in town and I had purchased some collapsible coolers so we just took those to the beach and pool. We met some wonderful people from Minnesota and spent much of the week with them. We are going to keep in touch and try to meet up again. I would recommend this resort to anyone. In fact we are going to try to stay at one of their resorts in Cabo San Lucas next.

5  Thank bmddmb