“Beware; a place to keep away from.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Reviewed February 7, 2004

We visited the resort after an invitation to "see a new hotel under construction" - I asked if it was a time-share presentation and was told definitely not. After a cab ride out there, we had the breakfast buffet - the food was very poor indeed, and the service was worse (I asked a waiter for a spoon, and was told to get it myself - and then there weren't any!). Then we had 2 hours of exposure to high-pressure sales and not very good at that - just loud and offensive. However, during this presentation they said their best source of selling time-shares is to guests who are staying there - thank goodness we weren't, or you'd never escape from them! Definitely a place to keep away from.

6  Thank ChrisOntario.Canada
There are newer reviews for Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

Warrenton, VA.
Reviewed February 7, 2004

I can't believe all of these bad reviews! We stayed at the Mayan Palace in August of 2003 (not exactly the best time to go to Cancun, very hot then), but we were aware of the fact that it was still under construction and that didn't bother us at all. We were a little surprised at the location of the hotel (kind of out by itself), but in a way we kind of liked that in the long run, because we didn't have to deal with the throngs of people that are in the Cancun hotel strip either. We had been to Cancun about 5 years ago and stayed on that strip of hotels, and we did have a good time then, but I thoroughly liked the quietness of this area much better. If you want to go to a good beach area, I would suggest that you take the bus, only $1.00 per person, into Playa de Carmen and spend the day at the beach there. You can also buy all of your souvenirs there in any of the many stores to chose from. You can also take a ferry into Cozumel for the day for only $5.00 a person from Playa de Carmen. The bus station is located right in the middle of town and is easy enough to find for the trip back to the hotel. We found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant at all times. In fact, when we first arrived after our long flight there, it was very hot, and we were greeted with a very nice glass of cold orange juice while we were checking in. Which I found to be most helpful! The restaurants on site were all good and the prices were extremely good.
We usually buy our own food at our time share condos, but this time since our frig was rather small, we decided to eat out more. The breakfast buffet is to die for!! All you can eat for about $8.00, and well worth it. The fruit was absolutely beautiful and tasty, and the fresh juices were fantastic. Get any type of eggs fixed for you right there by their chef, the choice is yours! Also many, many other side dishes to add to your breakfast. Hubby and I went on a couple of excursions while we were there, and had a marvelous time.
Unfortunately, hubby got sick on our third night there, due to eating some shrimp at an outdoor restaurant at one of the excursion areas, and was mostly room bound after that. I decided to order our meals to our room for the remainder of the time we were there, and the restaurant was fast with the meals, delivered them directly to our room, and they were delicious too. All all that we ate while we were there for the week, our meals only cost us about $170.00 for the entire week. Not bad considering. The pool was absolutely beautiful. The biggest one that I have ever seen at any resort. It is 4 ft. deep through out the entire pool, and in August if you didn't get to the pool early in the morning, the water became warm by 1:00PM. So go early and then take a nice siesta at noon! The pool area, in August, was never crowded at all, and they have the most fabulous covered beds, pillows and mattresses with sheets on them, right by the pool area to lounge under. It was great!
Being that the area was till under construction, they still had a lot to offer in the way of entertainment. Nightly entertainment was free, and very good. Plenty of activities for children and adults to participate in. Yes, the beach area had some work still to be done on it, but it was still nice to just sit on. As far as the bugs went, we didn't encounter any, and we saw that they sprayed the area daily for that type of problem. The rooms were clean and spacious, but I found that the bed was a little hard for my liking. Did let them know about that upon checking out. They will let you know about your flight times and if they are on time upon check out. They also prefer that you use their currancy instead of US dollars, but you can still use US dollars if need be. There is a small grocery shop on the property if you need to fix lunches or breakfasts in your own room. We did go to the sales pitch (and I have been to many of them in the past), and I just let them know that they have no more than 90 minutes to show us everything they have to offer. Our sale person was right on the money where the time was concerned, and we really liked what we saw, so we did invest in a time share there with the Grand Mayan time shares. They are very nice and brand new! We look forward to going back to either Cancun, or one of their many other time shares that they have, in the near future.
I would highly recommend to anyone thinking about getting away to a tropical area, for a week or more, and having a nice relaxing vacation, to check this place out. We had a wonderful time there, except for hubby getting sick, that is.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2004

Just when you think you're going on a dream vacation we found otherwise as we drove up to the Mayan Palace Cancun. To be fair our room at the Grand Mayan was beautifully appointed and the food was great, however, we faced a construction site (Grand Mayan phases 3, 4, 5 etc...)and were disturbed by the noise throughout our one week stay. The beach is rocky and the pool is cold. Upon our arrival we were persuaded to attend a free breakfast the next day and a 90 minute presentation would follow. The hook was that if you did attend they would give you 15% off food and beverages for the duration of your stay. What they don't tell you is that you are automatically charged a 15% tipping fee for each hotel transaction which brings you right back to zero so don't bother.
This is the first scam we encountered. The next scam was the day of the presentation and thinking about it now I would say it was brilliantly executed. First they spend about an hour with you briefing you on the fabulousness of the Mayan Palace in a grand hall with roughly 200 other lambs. By the end of the brief you are so hungry and so desparate for a cup of java that you would do anything to stop these people from talking. Meanwhile the sun is shining and its the first day of our holidays and we are stuck inside. Next stop is the buffet breakfast in the palapa overlooking the construction site-nice! The jist here is for the lambs to pig out on the buffet so they are tired and prohibitive of clear thinking for the 90 minute presentation. Oh and if you're thinking it's 90 minutes, try 5 hours. This is typical of the time it takes to manipulate, pursuade and beat down all the little lambs before the eventual slaughter. Please read this and know that I am not being dramatic. The sales pitch system of this highly effective team is top notch scam artistry. Even after four hours of saying NO! our salesman was weakening so they have back-up sales managers or "shadows" as I found out they were called who come in a sweeten the deal. In our case the deal was sweetened by the Mayan Palace offering to buy our existing time share in Canada. Since we prefer a southern holiday each winter we agreed. This is where the be-ware comes in. After five hours of this you're attention span is at a low and these people are quite convincing and what they say to you is not exactly the same as what is written in the contract. We discovered after reading the contract and doing some research that our timeshare would have to be sold by an independent broker located in Florida of all places. We also discovered that Mayan Palace was owned by an American company in Houston, Texas while we were told it was a Mexican corporation. We spent our second week in Cancun proper and had a conversation with a local businessman who had previously worked for the Mayan Palace selling guess what...timeshares.
He informed us that we would never be able to book at the Mayan Palace when we wanted to and that they would never be able to sell our timeshare in Canada. In a nutshell we were snookered. Before we left the country we reported this matter to PROFECO in Cancun which aids foreign visitors with such problems. We are now working with the Mexican government in order to recover some if not all the monies we were robbed of. Please, if you find yourself in one of these timeshare presentation situations just believe the opposite of what they are telling you. All you have to do is just say no and walk away. It won't cost you a thing!

17  Thank jeffreysW2500EU
Reviewed February 4, 2004

My family and I returned a couple of weeks ago from a week vacation at the Mayan Palace. We had a wonderful time. Yes, there were some quirks, but it is a new place and I'm sure they are working on them. The pool is so beautiful words can't explain it. My kids, 5 & 8, had a wonderful time there! With the waterfalls and islands, they were kept very busy.
If not there, the beach was very playable, but a bit rough in spots.
The first 3 days of our visit, the pool was like bathtub warm, the next day, it was cold and stayed that way. I have a feeling it went from a heated pool to not a heated pool. The staff was nice, but occassionally, they could work on their customer service - it felt like you were being ignored sometimes when you went to the pool restaurant or bars. We ate at the restaurants and found the prices to be okay.
They even had a kids menu at one and the other they would allow the kids to share a meal, so very accommodating for them. We didn't mind the walk to the pools, not that it was that bad. We also didn't mind being out and away from everything. We very much enjoyed the quiet and laying by the pool. We were never bothered by "sales people" other than when we went into Playa del Carmen and there we ignored them. Our kids had a good time on Mexican buses! My son did step on a bee but other than that, we didn't have any trouble at all with bugs. A HBO TV guides would have been very helpful in the rooms. The only thing for the kids to watch was Cartoon Network in Spanish so it would have been nice to know when kid friendly movies were on for it did rain a couple of times while we were there! This vacation was to celebrate my parents 40th anniversary - we had wonderful accommodations for the 10 of us and we all had a very nice time.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2004

We just returned from our trip to the Mayan Palace and we had a wonderful time. We were NEVER even asked about the timeshare part of the Mayan Palace. We are already owners and did receive one phone call about upgrading but we did not answer the message that was left and were not called back. Our suite was very nice and accomodated our family very amply. There were five of us. One in a pull out in the living room and 2 in each of the bedrooms. We ate several of our "snack type" meals in the room and took a roll out cooler to the beach and pool area. They meals we did eat at the restaurants were very good and fairly priced. The salsa at the poolside restaurant was great! Always freshly made. At the poolside swim-up bar I heard several people discussing the timeshare presentation. Some were bitter but most were excited that they had bought and were thrilled with the deal they had made. All said it was easy to walk away if they had wanted to do that--and some did! If you have questions please feel free to email and I'll be happy to answer.

12  Thank sweetipie
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed February 2, 2004

I would have to agree with "neetee from new york", we just returned from the Mayan Palace 1/24/04 and we had a wonderful time. I was nervous after reading some of the reviews here and found out that most of the bad reviews must have been from whiners. We stayed as a guest of a timeshare member and were never approached by a sales person. We had kids & elderley with us and a good time was had by all. The staff was extremely friendly and the food was great. If you are worried about price of food you should probably not go on vacation or buy your own groceries and eat in your room, we found the price of one of the restaurants a little pricey but the food was great, we ate there 3 times. My answer to the sales people, either rent a room from a time share owner or don't go to the presentation, they aren't going to kick you out. We were on the beach, by the pool & walked around the grounds and never had a problem w/bugs. We did see a couple mosquitos but I wouldn' consider it a problem. The beach sand has some small rocks but they are working on cleaning that up and we played beach volley ball & my kids built sand castles and no one got hurt. The grounds are spread out but I love to walk. I will definetly go back again. The ocean was a little cool but the pool was beautiful and again the staff were extremely courteous. The girls that taught water aerobics were wonderful we had ages 20-85 in our group & everyone was having fun. We had great happy hours, saw a couple free shows at night & also partook in karoke. My family will definetly go back again. I feel bad for all that had a bad time, I guess it's like anything you do, it's all what you make it!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 1, 2004

The absolute worst location and staff I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Stay home, Time share is the worst experience you will ever endure, facilities are aparace at best. Overall a horrible experience.

5  Thank rusty2316
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#84 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
#3 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!