“Paradise, but beware of the timeshare promotion.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My fiance and used my Global Discovery membership to stay at this resort. I have to say it truly looked like paradise! The pool was enormous, surrounded by palm trees, and open 24hrs. My fiance had some trouble with mosquitos, in the evenings, but I never got a single bite. The pool water was the temperature of bath water. We went in mid september (last week), and the were only at 50% guest capacity. There were times (especially in the restaurants) where we seemed to be by ourselves. It was great! The food was good, but pricey. We had the best meals at Havanna Moon (fish) and Gong (sushi). (We never made it to the Italian restaurant or the buffet, but heard the Italian place was fantastice.) The Balche restaurant had some decent mexican food, though not the best I've had, and was really better to get snacks/light lunch by the pool. There were 2 swim up bars, which were nice, but after a couple days we realized that we could save a good bit of money by buying beer/alcohol at their convenient store, and even more by buying it in Playa del Carmen. Overall, the resort was so nice that we were content just laying around the pool all week. And I have never seen such committment from resort staff to keep things clean. They even swept the side walks and washed (scrubbed with soapy water) the chairs by the pool. And all the staff were super friendly!! The beach area is gorgous to lay by, and to walk along, but definately too rocky to swim. My fiance and I aren't big on swimming in the ocean, so it was fine for us. I highly recommend going into Playa Del Carmen, at least 1 day. (Note: We ate lunch at "100% Natural," along 5th, for lunch, and believe that this was the source of a food-born illness that my fiance got the last 2 days. He works for the Health Department, so is pretty familiar with the different types and sources of such illness). The shuttle is $5 (if you pay with pesos it's a little less), from the resort. And there are gorgous beaches there, for swimming.

My main word of caution, it that Riveria Maya is a time-share resort. We decided to "hear" the talk, since they offered us 1000 peso credit and %10 off our room charges. Overall, I believe we got about $100 credit. They told us it would take 90 min, but it was over 3 hrs. The sales person goes to breakfast with you (a free breakfast buffet, also given as an incentive), in order to befriend you, then afterwards, you they use 1 manipulate sales technique after another. The first price was $53,000, ($2,400 deposit/closing cost, and $600 monthly payments),for a 2-bedroom time-share, with lots of options to "turn in" weeks for credits. They act like they are fine with you saying "no," but keep coming back with lower offers. The last offer was for $9,900, $179 monthly payments,to "take over" a 1-bedroom, from another couple that reportedly could no longer afford thier payments (they even had a paper with the names on it). Seriously?! When we said no to that, they actually got mad, but still sent us on to one "manager" after another, to keep trying. I have never seen so many "managers." It wasn't until we got mad, that they let us leave. My fiance was furious, and even though I was happy to get the room credit, I will never do that again. Oh, they also offered us discounted prices on tours (eg., Xaceret, Explore, ruins, etc.), at 40-50% off, but if you go to Playa del Carmen, and tell the tours salesman along 5th, they will match it or go below that price.

Overall, I definitely plan to return!!

Room Tip: Looks like you can get good last minute deals through Travelocity, though you will probably have to...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
18  Thank JaimeG360

Reviewed September 24, 2011

My sister and I were approached by a man name Erik at the airport..He said he worked for Best Day transportation since that was who we booked with to shuttle us to the hotel. He told us that he can give us half off excursions if we visit a hotel called Mayan Palace which he claimed was 10 minutes from our hotel in Cancun. We just need to enjoy breakfast look at the rooms and that's it. He told me to pay him cash for the half off tickets and he will bring us the tickets when he picks us up for the hotel visit. He never showed so we took a cab to the Mayan Palace because the receipt said if the driver doesn't show up within 10 minutes to get a cab there and transportation will be paid. So after about 10 minutes in the cab, we asked how long does it take to get to the hotel and the cab driver said 40 minutes!!!!! We were furious and when we got to the Mayan Palace, the salesperson said the presentation is 90 minutes!!! After the tour, we told the guy we didn't want to buy anything, and another 4 salesman approached us..It was soooooo painful!!! They didn't let us leave so we wasted 2.5 hours there. So they gave up after we told them adamantly that we were tricked in coming there and will not buy anything from them. They got mad and finally let us go get our discount tickets. When we got home that night we did the research it found out we got ripped off because the tickets were not half off..only saved us 25% and half day of torture.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank leslien56003
Reviewed September 19, 2011

People heading to Mexico need to read and know what they are getting into. Timeshare sharks are everywhere. Just say no gracias and keep walking.
This place is not bad. It is too big for my taste but it is still a nice place. I rent a car so I am able to get around, as I know the area well. Car rental is the way to go if you want to get off the property and not get stuck with taxi fares. There are gas station scams and police scams to deal with when renting a car. We had some problems the last time there and were stopped by the Keystone cops. We paid the bribe. Gasoline attendants like to scam you too. All I can say is read, read, and read to prepare yourself for travel anywhere!
I am looking forward to my stay in February and only hoping I am not in a back building! It will be what it will be!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank DCorey
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We have visited this resort many times. It's first rate, with terrific amenities and a spectacular pool. It's in the middle of a long strip of other great resorts, but you are away from Cancun and big city life. However, Cancun to the north or Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel to the south are only a short trip, making this a great base of operations for a trip.

The only downside is that, like many of the resorts along the coast, they are laid out in very long tracts of land that extend from the ocean toward the entrance. At this resort, you could have to walk past 10 buildings to get to the beach. We don't mind the walk, since it's along a paved, winding tropical trail. It's especially pretty at night. But if you're at the pool or beach and need to go the room for things, it's a hike.

If you're spending most of your time at the resort, ask for a unit closer to the pool/beach. If you'll be heading out for adventures most days, ask for one closer to the front/lobby so you will be closer to your car. We've asked to have our room changed, and they always accommodated us.

There is a shuttle that constantly loops around, but it could be a 15 minute wait.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank TravelTim88
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Ok, I am not a time share fan, however this place is different. Yes you will get approached to "Attend a presentation" but you are not required too. You will be offered discounts, drinks, etc.. Just kindly decline and continue on to enjoy your first class stay. Don't do the presentation, it will waste your day and the discounts are not worth losing a day here. They will call you once a day, just don't answer the phone.
Now our room was fantastic. Very roomy and very clean. The couches are very comfortable and you could easily have someone sleep on one. They do not pull out. You will have 2 sinks and 2 closets. The kitchen will have a small refrigerator, sink, dishes, silverware, small microwave, and a 2 burner stove with pots and pans. The maid service is impeccable. The employees are all about you so be ready to get spoiled. If you fly into Cancun you can arrange to have a shuttle pick you up. I highly recommend this. Also they take US dollars and Peso's here but I would go ahead and convert you US money to Peso's right at the airport at the money exchange, it is free. This will save you money. Now for the Hotel. You will have several restaurants to choose from. They are all quiet good and the service it top notch. I recommend the Green Break for breakfast for sure. Tramonto is a fabulous place to eat and you must eat here at least once during your stay. There are trams that run all over the property so you can get around without walking too much. The Pool! It is huge! absolutely huge! You will have plenty of space to relax. You can spend to whole day here. Plenty of food and drinks available. There are cabanas you can use for free during the off season, Sept through Nov. after that they run about $30 per day. These are the way to have a full pool day. The beach is full of palm trees so you can get sun and shade also. The breach is a little rocky but pretty. No real swimming in the gulf here. If want some beach swimming you can take the shuttle to Playa Del Carmen just down the road and you will find a very pretty beach to swim in. But with the size of the pool, you won't need the gulf to swim in. They do offer water sports, jet-skis etc. Since the rooms are equipped with small kitchens, on your first day take the shuttle to Playa Del Carmen to get some basic groceries. This will save you some money on snacks and drinks so you don't have to eat out everyday.I recommend Mega Mart over Wal-Mart. It is MUCH nicer and easier to shop in. If however you don't want to go downtown then you can shop in the Hotel at the small grocery they have on site. It is more expensive however. The shuttle picks up every 2 hrs and you can walk to Mega mart from the drop off. It is not that far. The shuttle cost is $5 per person each way or 50 pesos which is actually less than $5 US so you can see how converting to Pesos will save you money. If you want to explore more you can rent a car and go further south to Tulum and see some Mayan Ruins. I highly recommend this Hotel as a great place to relax and enjoy a laid back vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Building 1 through 5. This will get you closer to the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank jahancock2001
Reviewed September 12, 2011

There are so many reasons this resort is TOO much hassle. If you want to have to wait in line to take a shuttle to get to the pool, your room, the lobby, or anywhere this IS the place for you. If you want a relaxing, ease filled vacation, this IS NOT the place for you. It is clean, but everything is overpriced. The people are courteous, but not what I consider friendly. They see too many people come and go to put any extra effort into making your stay better. They are not mean, but they are definitely not personable.
Quality of food in the resort does not match the price. We had much better food away. Kitchen is very limited so don't count on cooking much.

We would not return or recommend this resort. We prefer better units, better equipped kitchens, personable staff--and we get all of this at several other places we usually go.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank lirioluna
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My wife & I bought into Mayan Palace back in 2003 at this location when it was brand new. This trip was our 1st time back to Yucatan since then. Mayan Palace did a great job on this site. We've been to several MPs but so far, this is our favorite. Great place to kick back and sight see if you wish to. We went to Xcaret and had a great time. For the most part, it was a family get together to relax. We upgraded to the grand luxxe and will be back.
Wayne
Silver Spring,MD

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank wayne s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Senses Riviera Maya by Artisan - All Inclusive - Adults Only
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#62 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!