“The Truth about Iberostar Lindo/Maya after Wilma”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Truth about Iberostar Lindo/Maya after Wilma”
Reviewed December 6, 2005

I wanted to write a review, because this was so helpful for me as I was deciding where to take my family on vacation. I hope it is helpful for you as well. We arrived at the Iberostar on Sunday Nov. 27th to find that the Lindo was still closed, so they upgraded us to the Maya. The Lindo did open on Thursday, and it is beautiful. The Iberostar is a large complex with 4 sections. The Del Mar and Parasio Beach are across from each other, and share facilities and a beautiful pool area (I thought it was better than the Lindo/Maya Pool). The Lindo and the Maya are across from each other and share facilties and pool area. There is little difference between the Lindo and the Maya. The Lindo lobby is beautiful, and the rooms are nice. The Lindo sceneary is simple, but nice. The Maya lobby is nice, the huge bar in the center is lovely, and the walk between buildings is spectacular. So, if sceneary is important to you, pay the extra $ and stay at the Maya, if not stay at the Lindo.
The Rooms:
We had booked the Jr. Suite and the room was very nice. Great bathroom w/oversized whirpool tub, huge shower, and great water pressure. Be prepared though, it is one big room. This was a family vacation, our kids (13 & 12) were right next to us, so if romance is in the picture, get your kids their own room.We were in building 61, pool view. It was great. I would have been disappointed with buildings 64-66, or backside of 60-62, because your view is construction, and smells bad at times because of the decaying trees and plants. At check-in, make sure you are happy with your room, if not get what you want, even if you switch to the Lindo. I do not think there is a bad room view there, because the backside is lush garden.
The Pools:
The pools are awsome. But again, be prepared, they are salt pools. They are cool, but if they were any warmer, they would not be refreshing, and it just takes a few seconds to get used to it. The salt pools are much cleaner and do not have the chemical problems, so enjoy. We loved the pools. (The wave pool is fun, but only goes on the hour, so watch your time). Take your own rafts!
The Activities:
The Star Friends (activity directors) are great. The only complaint that we had was that they schedule too many events at the same time, and have dead time in between. My 12 yr old son is an athlete, and is not real interested in the pools, unless their are games going on. Beach Volleyball, soccer, air guns, achery, etc. were scheduled at the same time instead of scattered thru the day, so you have to pick and choose what you want to do. It would be better if they would spread them out. But my son had a good time and enjoyed lots of activities. My 13 year old daughter had a great time. Did all the dance lessons and pool games and met great girls she had a blast with. The Star Friend Dancers are so great (tell Marcello we miss him). He danced with my daugter almost every day and at the shows at night and made her trip. Secondly, if you plan on snorkeling, you will be PAYING for it. They have the equipment for you, but Wilma has changed things, and you cannot just walk out the beach and snorkle. We were so disappointed with this, because we love to snokle. So we took the Dive Shop excursion ($27 a person) to go about 1 mile in a boat to the reef, and it was cold and not that great. If you love to snorkle, pay the extra money and go on the 3 hour excursion to the caves and make a day of it. The Dive shop excursion is a waste of money. My son and husband played Golf and loved it. It is a beautiful course. They gave us the Twilight $ even though it was morning, and we put on our credit card and the exchange rate was so good it was only $157 for 2 of us.
The Food:
Breakfast - go to the indoor Seafood restaurant (Maya Lobby). Since Wilma, there is a fly problem, and the outside buffet is covered with them. The food is much better indoors. Good omlets
Lunch - the food is ok. Not great, but you are not going to go hungry.
Dinner - Very Good. Make your reservations when you first get there, you can change them if you need to. Japanese- Great, Steak - Very Good, Cajun - Very Good, Mexican - Good, Buffet- OK. Italian - Closed, Oriental - Closed, Meditrraneo - Closed. Gourmet and Seafood we did not eat at. Don't expect alot and be pleasently surprised.
The Service:
The Best. I have never had this good of service. We have been on cruises, Jamaica, other Mexico destinations, and this far exceeds any of them. The staff, from housekeeping to the Chefs, want you to have the best vacation ever. We loved it. Tip if you want to. We did.
The Shows:
They are fun. They work very hard at them so appreciate what you are getting. They are a little Cheesy, but participate and have fun.
The Truth:
The Lindo/Maya is running about 85%. They are painting, replacing roof tops and plants and trees. It is not perfect yet, but in a few weeks, it will be. They are having to adjust to what is now availale after Wilma. The beach has changed and the current has as well. Much bigger waves now, so body surfing is an option. Bring your own board. Snorkling not.
We had a great trip. We would go back today if we could, but if you are planning on going in the next month, see if you can get a discount, because not everything is available. But if you cannot, go anyway. It is paradise. Feel free to e-mail me with other questions. I would be happy to help.

• Stayed November 2005
71 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,048)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sherwood, AR
Reviewed November 29, 2005

My husband and I arrived at the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and upon telling the receptionist we were on our honeymoon, he immediately upgraded us to the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo at no cost. It was truly an upgrade. The Lindo was gorgeous. The fountains, the pools, and the trees were just breathtaking. The architecture was truly a work of art.

After a long hard afternoon of relaxing by the beach and pools, we decided to take a break for lunch. We proceeded to the buffet restaurant. The restaurant was very pretty and the spread they put on looked extrememly appetizing. I loaded my plate and we set down to eat. After tasting everything on my plate, I became discouraged. The food that had "appeared" delicious was only a dissapointment. So, I went to the buffet to try more in hopes to find something that was more appealing. STILL, everything I tried was "blah". I won't say that the food wasn't edible, but it was not as great as you had hoped it to be for such a luxurious resort. It just seemed that every bite I took, I was anxious for something that was mouthwatering, but each time I took a bite, I was dissapointed.

To sum it all up, the Lindo is a gorgeous resort, the architecture and the scenery is absolutely BREATHTAKING and the service is very friendly and helpful. If I could change ANYTHING at the Lindo, it would only be the food. That's my only complaint.

Stayed October 2005
19 Thank Laurenmc05
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed November 15, 2005

I was supposed to get married on Oct. 22nd at the Lindo and was expected to have 54 guest join our group for the celebration. 18 made it down, before WILMA struck. I just wanted to write a quick review to encourage anyone who is thinking of going to that area, to stay at the Iberostar resorts. I can't say enough about them. Even though we were unable to get "offically" married, they saved our lives. The resort was extremely prepared for the storm and keep us calm and smiling the entire time. It was one of the most disappointing experiences of my life, but I owe most of my sanity to the Lindo. They allowed us to make wonderful memories, and for that I am grateful. I wish I could have invited the entire staff (and other shelter friends) back to the states for one big party. They deserved it! GO TO THIS RESORT....it was amazing, even in a category 5 hurricane!

13 Thank Lindsay T
Hewitt, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2005

My husband and I spent our 30th wedding anniversary with our 24-year-old daughter at the Paraiso Lindo in June of '05. The accommodations were beautiful, clean and comfortable. The service staff were very attentive and friendly, and seemed to do whatever it took to make our stay a pleasant one. This is a very large resort with many individual buildings. Our room was located in a building right in the middle of the resort, halfway between the beach and the restaurants. The beach is beautiful with an adequate number of plapas and lounge chairs for everyone. Our only complaint about the beach is that there was only one day out of the 5 that we were able to swim. The water was incredibly rough and a red-flag warning was posted almost every day. The entertainment at the resort was mediocre, certainly not of Las Vegas quality. Unfortunately, the evening entertainment usually did not start until 9:30 or 10:00, and after a long day of swimming and sunbathing at the beach, we were usually in bed by then. There is not much in the way of daytime activities, and what is offered is usually centered around pool activities. The only shopping trip provided was to Playa del Carmen by air-conditioned bus (about a 30-minute ride). The food at the Lindo was very good with a variety at every restaurant. If you are looking for a place to go and get some serious relaxation, then the Lindo is right for you.

17 Thank Bumamabear
Zimmerman, Minnesota
Reviewed November 8, 2005

My now husband and I brought a group of 29 family and friends to Iberostar Lindo Oct. 17th-24th for our wedding. Obviously, things didn't go as planned becuase of Hurricane Wilma. We got there Monday the 17th and everything was wonderful! The staff greeted you will a cold drink in the lobby and everyone got what room assignments they requested. We all went to our rooms and were absolutely thrilled with our accomodations! Just like the pictures...including the animals made from towels. We all went to dinner that night at the buffet restaurant because you have to have reservations for the "sit-down" specialty places. The buffet was nice...just not something you want to eat everyday. The beach was wonderful. The only problem was that by Tuesday, the under-current and waves were so strong, they were almost dangerous. It was a workout trying to keep your head above water. The beach was full of the palapas and there was plenty of places to lay. The beach-side grill and bar was nice because you didn't have to walk far to a restaurant if you were hungry. They served hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, chicken...it was nice. Since the wind was picking up because the hurricane was coming, all of the water sports were closed. We still managed to make the best of our days. Our wedding was supposed to be at Maroma Beach Club on Thursday, but late morning Wednesday, we got informed from the Lomas travel people that they wanted to have our wedding today instead of Thursday because of the weather. The hurricane was projected to get bad on Thursday night. So, we were given 2 hours to get ready for a wedding and be at the lobby for our transportation pick-up. As we were getting ready, we got a call saying that now all the beaches on the coast were closed and that we couldn't get married on the beach and that they wanted to have the wedding at Iberostar but they would bring all the supplies and set up and clean up everything. So, after long talks with Iberostar management, they finally agreed to let us have the wedding above the pool on top of the fountain. They could have easily said no but Iberostar knew how important this was and they made an exception. The wedding went on and was just beautiful! We had a nice dinner at the steak house after....wonderful steak by the way! Then at 8pm Thursday night, we were all shipped to the convention center where we spent 48 long and exhausting hours with 1,600 other people. Just like the other reviews said, they worked their butts of trying to keep us all happy, clean and fed. We were lucky enough to get a plate full of food at least 2 times a day. In talking with other people at the airport who spent 5-6 days in an awful shelter with no food or water and rats running around their feet...we quickly realized we had it really good! The staff worked day and night in 160+ MPH winds to keep us safe. If I ever had to go through that again, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world than with those people.

While we were down there, we also found out that my grandfather had passed away back home. My immediate family was devastated and felt totally helpless that we had no way to contact people because the landlines were of course down. They only way we found out was because my aunt's cell phone happened to work. The airports were shut down and there were no flights coming in or going out. We were helpless! Moses from Lomas Travel found out about the death in our family and stayed 8 hours past his scheduled shift to find a way for us to get a plane to go home to be with our family. He was such a wonderful person for helping our family get home and we are all very thankful for what he did for us. Of course our trip couldn't end that easy....long story short, we didn't get to the airport in time and missed our flight after driving 8 hours to Merida airport. We ended up sleeping in 4 different airports and spending 3 1/2 days trying to get home, but we finally made it home.

Even though our experience could be considered devastating or horrible....we all can't help but be thankful that we were with such wonderful people and at such a great hotel! The staff ALWAYS has a smile on their face and they even beging to know you by name. The bartenders know your favorite drinks....the maids know we like fresh flower pedals on our bed...Lomas travel called our room (thanks Isabell!) to make sure everything was going well for us....everything about this place is wonderful. The beautiful architecture and lush jungle atmosphere was refreshing. Not only are my husband and I going back, but all the 29 other people who came with us want to come back again! There is so much to do and see that we never got to experience. It's something to be said that we went through a disasterous hurricane and still want to come back. It is worth every penny we spent, even though we went through the worst Atlantic Hurricane in recorded history. We will be back someday soon and can't wait for that day to come!

P.S I have more pictures after the hurricane...if interested email me.

51 Thank Gina A
Reviewed November 2, 2005

Well we just arrived back from Cancun Mexico. We were lucky enough to see the hotel before, during, and after the hurricane. My boyfriend and I only got about 1 1/2 days of fun before the rest of the trip turned into a pretty bad time. I do want to say that the staff at the Iberostar could not be more friendly. We were one of the unlucky ones to be in the "convention center" during the hurricane. the workers were always friendly and tried harder than I have ever seen a person/s try to make us feel at ease. Our group helped to raise the $6000 in 25min for the workers to split. The roof coming down was very scary, but everyone made us as comfortable as possible. The one thing I would of asked for is some communication before, during, and after the hurricane. I know that during the storm they could only inform us as much as they found out. But all we got from staff before the storm was that we would get some rain and it wasn't a big deal. Well it turned out a lot worse. Also the other review raved about Lomus travel. I on the other hand would like to say they are the worst and I would never use them to travel again. They were there before the storm, but after they were impossible to find. They told me countless times to meet them up front at the lobby at a certain time and guarenteed to be there, then they weren't. They could of been around like Apple was there all the time, up until late at night. They may not of had a lot of info. but they tried. Lomus did nothing. They made me feel that much more helpless and scared. We actually got out of the country using a totally different travel company because they were willing to help. The Lindo theater was up and running after it was flooded 1 1/2 days later with shows being put on. Our group made up the "Wilma" drink. So if you ever go there ask for the bartender named Irving. Once you have him ask him to either make a "Wilma" or if you use the code word you can use your middle finger and scratch your cheek. That is the code word. He hated making them because they have a lot of alcohol in them and are time consuming. Tip him well and he will be fine. Just tell him the "Wilma" Crew- Chris,Brandi,Andrew,Shawna,etc..say HI, and we will be back for his drinks. He was wonderful along with the rest of the bartending team. They kept us sane.
I would love to go back to this beautiful hotel when it is back to normal, not during hurricane season. I only wish we had more time to enjoy it. We will be back.
I don't have my photos on this computer, but the destruction is only something that has bonded all of us with the IBEROSTAR.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 30, 2005

We stayed in building number 53 at the Lindo in May 2005. Our experience was incredible.

Building number 53 is close as you can get to the beach which there is a strip of trees about 100 yards thick between the building and the beach. This was great for going to the beach; however, all the good restaurants, shows, tennis are at the other end of the complex. We ate like pigs but gained little to no weight because between the activites and the amount of walking we did we burned up the calories. There was a tram that runs between the Lindo and the Parisio del mar but we were not in-sync with it. We always seem to just miss it so we walked A LOT. There are pluses and minuses no matter which building you stay in. We were far from the pools so at night it was tranquil. If you stay at the other end of the complex then you have a far walk to the beach. I think if we had to do it again we would stay in one of the buildings in the center of the complex and be centrally located to everything.

It is a great place for a family vacation. We have a 2 children, both boys ages 2 and 10. They loved the kiddie area, wave pool, and all the activites not to mention the goodies at the restaurants. Between my eldest son and I, we were on the stage as much as the entertainers because we won most of the contests that the star friends conduct througout the day and every night you get to go onto the stage to celebrate your international victory over other drucken middle-aged men and sober non-competive women. One problem we had is our 2 year old likes to venture out on his own and because there was not a chain or other locking device on the door, he was easily able to escape. At night we had to pile our luggage in front of the door to prevent him from escaping while we were sleeping.

We ran into a few honeymooners and a few rowdy couples but only at the late hours. We mainly were up early (8AM) and went to bed after the nightly shows (10PM). The rowdiness typically started after the last show at night. I think they were more ticked off at us for the crying 2 year old than we were because of them being rowdy.

I was terribly sick the first day we arrived but do to good planning I was back on my feet the following day. We had our family physician prescribe antibiotics for our whole family to take with us. Kind of expensive, but a great insurance item.

The nightly shows were okay and that is as bad as you will hear me talk about the Lindo. The bands were great and there were a few of the star friends that have real talent. The star friends are young people that bust their humps. We went to breakfast one morning at 7AM and saw one of the star friends getting the pool ready for the day. That same star friend was hosting more than one of the daily contests throughout the day. Then we saw him performing in the nightly show. All the time with a smile on his face. Unbelievable ....

I loved the open architecture, the floral and the wildlife. I never did find out what those half raccoon - half monkey things were.

We went to Playa del Carmen twice. They have a shuttle that runs from the hotels to Playa del Carmen every couple of hours. If you like to shop there are a few bargains but the agressive shop owners can be a pain to deal with. They are incredibly friendly until they realize that you are looking for a bargain then they turn rude. There are shops there to get necessities too. The food looked great, but I was not willing to risk getting sick. I stuck to the Lindo food and did not have a problem all week.

If you like to play golf, I suggest finding a timeshare seminar to waste your life at for a few hours so they let you play on some of the courses in the area for free. Without the timeshare seminar it was $210 each to play 9 holes.

One of the reasons we stayed at the Lindo because it was in close proximity to X-caret. An ecological theme park that we stopped at during one of our previous cruises. It was a wonderful experience and we wanted to go back; however, there was so much to do at the Lindo and so relaxing we never ventured further than shopping at Playa del Carmen.

Personal suggestion; have a beer and paint a ceramic item in the hut on the beach. My life has not been that relaxing since I was a kid.

Here is the breakdown of what I liked and disliked.
Liked:
- Service
- 98% of the food
- Cleanliness
- Friendliness
- Beautiful floral and open architecture
- All inclusive
- 90% of the shows
- Everything

Disliked:
- Nothing

• Stayed May 2005
57 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,712 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!