“3rd consecutive year- different experience”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We traveled March 16-23 through Liberty Travel and Olympus tours. Everything going there was smooth and we managed to make it out of Cancun Airport without stopping :) One true difference is the way they split the Lindo/Maya this year. In the past years, the Lindo and Maya shared just about everything, but this year, we noticed the restaurants were exclusive. Not that it made a BIG deal, but it was nice to go to the Maya buffet and restaurants. The Lindo Staekhouse was very poor. The appetizers were leftovers from lunch and the steak was hard to chew. Last year the Steakhouse in the Maya was terrific and we went twice. However, the Brazillian restaurant in the Del Mar section was the highlight of the trip in regards to food! Amazing food, atmosphere, and service!
Our 7 year old spent a lot of time at the Kids Club which is still the main reason that we keep returning! LETTY at the kids club is spectacular, caring, attentive, and very hard working! She even remembered my daughter from last year. What a tremendous asset to your resort! We had some rain and cloudy weather (which never happened in past years) so it was great to have our daughter entertained. The shows the kids club put on were the highlight of our daughter's trip(Fashion Show, Cats) If you are worried about sending your child to kids club, don't be. Many new friends are made and they do sooooo much!
The beach was amazing and the water was so warm. Stay clear of the rocks. Paella on the beach was great along with the beach party on Wednesdays 12 noon. Don't miss it! This year, the pools were a little on the cold side due to the weather but we managed to get a little time in.
The taco place at the "Mall" was really great- had lunch there one day. Make sure you go!
Spa was once again superb. People complain how expensive it is but I think it's pretty reasonable, maybe slightly higher than home but so worth it! My husband had a massage by the pool and it was good.
We didn't make it to any shows except the kids show at 8pm because we are up early 6am every day, heading to the gym.
Yes, you still have to reserve your chairs but be careful with your "Blue towel". We came back one day and had one of our towels stolen! What is wrong with people?? They're not that great of towels!!! I went to lobby and explained what happened and they gave me a towel card, no problem.
We had trouble with our safe twice and had to call security to come open it, that was a big pain! They said it was beacause we used a 0 in our code(???) We were upgraded to a junior suite right by the beach. You couldn't see it, but it was nice to hear the waves and the location was totally different then past years. Room was pretty good, flat screen tv, a few channels but how much tv do you really watch?
Bought wifi in theLindo lobby for $3 for 15 minutes and that is all we used. No problem connecting....but they seriously need to get that wifi in the whole resort.
Went to Playa one day- took shuttle $5 each and then took a taxi back for $22. It is safe, don't worry :) Playa is good for shopping a hair braiding. it was $20 for half a head...on the resort its at least $60 so go to Playa to do your hair.
Book your restaurants before you come on line. Message me if you need the email.
Bring your floats and inflate them in the shop by the pool. Bring enough sunscreen, etc... because they'll rob you in the resort store for any toiletries or stuff like that.
We didn't do any excursions because there's just so much to do but we did do the Dolphins in years past and it was awesome!
Bring singles to tip the staff. We left a couple of bucks here and there and gave a$20 to the pool bartenders and kids club because we appreciate them...but if we were at a restaurant and received no attention, not even for drinks, we didn't leave anything. They work hard and are so nice.... we usuually just tipped everyone!
The day it rained we resort "bar hopped" and after 3 years, it was cool to discover new places. The whole resort is well laid out and HUGE!
Special thanks you's go out to LETTY at the Kids Club!! We miss you and appreciate all you do!! And our 2 favorite Pool bartenders FILIBERTO and PABLO. Even though it was COLD, we managed to get there each day :) For those of you that complain of the drinks being watered down, just ask for more and they will give it to you. This year was alittle more eventful in the past and the weather didn't always cooperate,but we had another amazing trip and would definately recommend this resort and HAVE to families. The price is reasonable but the workers are what makes the place so worth coming back to. We have been back 3 times because we keep looking for a place in comparison of all The Lido/Maya can offer, and we haven't found one. With that said, if anyone can recommend a place similar to Iberostar with families in mind and similar amenities, please let me know.
I feel like I have great knowledge on this resort so feel free to ask me anything you need to know and I will try to help. We are trying to find a "new" resort to go to next spring, but I am having a hard time comparing this resort!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank jcheskay
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear friend,

On behalf of all our staff members we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. We would also like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community, your opinion of your stay at our resort.

We are delighted to have provided you with an outstanding holiday and are also pleased to hear that you were happy with our staff, delicious food, services and our beautiful well-maintained grounds.

Thanks to our guests’ comments, we would like to announce that we will be introducing wifi in the rooms as well this year.

With your most recent trip to Iberostar being so pleasurable, we are quite confident that you will be staying again at our hotel and therefore we sincerely look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Myself and my wife recently stayed at the Lindo part of the Iberostar Paraiso in Mexico on the 2nd Feb until the 12th Feb 2013 and after a long flight from the UK we got to our room at approx. 18.00hrs in block 51 but by then it was dark so we could not get a proper view from our hotel balcony. The following morning on opening the curtains we were both amazed at the amount of trees and shrubs in front of our balcony which by the way was on the 3rd floor which really restricted our view of the hotel complex. Undeterred we strolled around the hotel to get our bearings and it was apparent that the other blocks of rooms had far better views from there rooms than we did but we decided to stay were we were and just got on with the rest of the holiday.
The weather while we were there was brilliant it was sunny everyday but I think we were lucky because in talking to other guests that had been there longer the weather had not been so good up till then.
The food at the Hotel was ok ish sometimes it was hit and miss with the temperature of the meals being rather lukewarm rather than hot but it was acceptable, We were not overimpressed with the A La Cartes that were available we thought the meals in the main restaurants were much better.
The complex is huge and it does take you rather a long time to get used to where everything is but if you like walking it is really nice just to stroll around the different parts of the hotel complex.
Not happy with the wild animals that were around mainly the Coytes as some people call them not sure if that is there proper name but they are scavengers always looking for food and sometimes we saw them near the pool areas trying to get into bags that had been left near the sunbeds but they were easily frightened off if you shouted at them!
All in all this hotel is quite good very clean and tidy but I don,t think we will be going again mainly because of the distance from the UK probably settle next winter in the Caribbean!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigPhil187069

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you so much for choosing Iberostar. Our main goal is to offer the best vacational experiences to our guests, and reading this kind of reviews make us feel extremely happy. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We are glad to hear that you found the distances from the different buildings to the various installations of the hotel manageable. Here, we would like to point out once more that our guests can order a ride with our golf carts at any time and to any place within the hotel complex – either directly and very comfortably from their room by phone or with any Concierge of any building.

With respect to Coatis, they are wild animals and part of the environment. They are inoffensive; only advisable not to feed them. However we have a special program in order to accommodate them in other areas. With respect to the room request, we try to accommodate all our guests’ requests, however we cannot guarantee any building, room, location or type of bed in advance because this is subject to availability at the time of the arrival, and with high occupancy sometimes it is not possible. Apologies for not being able to offer the room of your preference this time.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments; we hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed at the Lindo from March 31 to April 6 and was recommended to me by a neighbor on our street. All in all this was a great stay and we had fun. We stayed in Building 54 which was in the center of the resort; however, after reading the reviews on which Building to stay, our requests at the front desk were to no avail. It seemed like they had your room assigned prior to arrival and there was no changing whatsoever. We tried with two different front desk staff and got the same answer. My recommendation is to make the request prior to arrival and perhaps you may have a better chance.

Food was fine in the buffet and service is just as good as the specialty restaurants. We ate at most of the restaurants on site and they all provided outstanding service. None of the restaurants were spectacular. (Steakhouse - ok; Cajun - interesting but definitely not what Americans expect in cajun; French - ok; Japanese - good; Mediterranean - did not try; Beach bar - ok; Buffet - good with many choices). I would definitely stay at the Iberostar Paraiso resort in the future but not sure I would pay more for restaurant choices.

We stayed during Spring break week and getting a chair at the pool or beach was a job. I woke up one morning at 9 am and by the time I was out of the room, virtually every chair was reserved by a towel, book, flip flop, snorkel gear or shirt. If you did not get up at 6:30 am, you would not find a chair. The disconcerting part is at 9 am, all the chairs were gone but hardly anyone was at the pool or beach. I think everyone went back to bed after reserving their chairs for the day. Many showed up for the first time at around11 am. One kid I spoke with said his mom woke up at 5:15 am every morning to reserve a chair. Once the Spring Breakers left for the week, you didn't have a problem, but this is definitely a towel/chair game resort.

One excursion on site that I would definitely recommend is the Segway tour of the 5-hotel complex (450 MEX pesos - about $40 per person which you can charge to your room). Our group had 5 kids, the youngest about 8 years old and everyone got on the first time. This is a must do on the complex as they take you around all five hotels. Leo, our guide, was AWESOME. Most places in the US will not allow children under 16 on a Segway, so this was a treat for our 12 year old daughter. Took a two-site snorkel to Cozumel with the on-site dive operator and I would recommend that folks forgo this trip. It took 4 hours just to get to the boat on Cozumel and they put you with divers and it was a very long day for $102 pp. You snorkeled at two sites, but the day started at 9 am and returned at 7 pm. There are better and shorter choices.

The hotel offers complimentary equipment like ocean kayaks, snorkel equipment, wind surf, and hobie cats. In the six days I was there, only one mid-morning was allowed for hobies because of wind conditions. I sort of got the feeling that they didn't really want you on them to prevent accidents. Some days I felt the conditions were mild and they still didn't let folks out. I understood given that others may not be great sailors but others were really pissed and I couldn't really blame them for being upset.

All in all, it was a good stay and I would come back in a heartbeat. The last two days we were there, the sea was calm and the weather was great. Take a walk on the beach heading south and you will be treated to a great beach at the Maroma resorts. The sand, water and beach can't get much better than that.

Room Tip: Request building with travel agent prior to leaving. We tried at the front desk and the front desk...
5  Thank AndresfromHawaii

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambiance which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele and it is so gratifying to know that you enjoyed that.

With regard to our beach we would like to inform you that we provide enough sun beds for all of our guests both in the beach and at the pool areas. What occasionally happens is that guests want to go back to the same area every time they go to the beach or pool and unfortunately, this is not always possible. However, if you see that somebody occupies a sun bed for hours without even being there please inform any of our staff in the beach and they will pass on the information to the persons in charge.

Thank you for your compliments to our staff, we will make sure they get them.

We hope to welcome you again in a near future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Have been to about 5 different resorts in the Mayan riviera region as well as other all inclusives in the Caribbean. Will keep this short and sweet. The Lindo was okay. We are not a family that's hard to please- but the food was disappointing and we did not enjoy the rowdy college aged crew that were partying their brains out- (one day we watched as an extremely drunk guy needed to be escorted out of pool by buddy because he was too drunk to walk independently- really?? Not what I want to see or what I want my 4 kids to witness,)
The buffet was alright- not nearly the fresh , a la minute, food that we've had elsewhere- way too much prepared food under lights :( ! Small things like rock hard hot dog buns kinda bug me- it speaks to an overall lack of attention to details. The Japanese was ok- but again, veggies totally undercooked , so not too tasty at teppanyaki- the Cajun- it was terrible. My mantra is keep it

simple, but fresh and tasty- it was sorely lacking in this area,
As a resort I did not enjoy the lack of outdoor eating areas - I don't enjoy being cooped up in air conditioned rooms- too sterile- I , personally, like to be outdoors when I'm south. But that's just a personal thing.
The rooms were clean, and well maintained by staff, we had a pipe burst with an ensuing flood in our room one day and the maintenance crew were quick and attentive to clean it up. The bathroom toilet had a gross smell all week - despite us always "flushing".
The beach is nice- again though, not my favourite, lots of rows of chairs, but not pretty or landscaped like some other resorts where you don't feel like you're just sitting one on top of another.
On a positive note, the kids area is very nice- and the theatre is nice- we don't do the shows much but we went twice and they were quite good.

All in all , we had a good holiday - but, we will not go back here - nor would I personally recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if that's important to you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Beachmum43

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the Hotel Staff and the Management, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your opinion of your holiday at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.

We would like to inform you that every concern presented by our guest is very important to us. We appreciate the constructive comments from our guest because they help us provide a better service.

Every point will be forwarded to each Department Manager in order to take the necessary measures to improve the areas you are mentioning on your review. For example the Executive Chef is already aware about your comments and will be working on it.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked here because we were told this is the place to bring kids. Very true, the kids program was fantastic. Counselors were so great with our kids, especially April and Sandra. You could see they enjoyed their job. Leticia was the one in charge of kids program, and a little too business like, she could smile more. Pools were nice. Wave pool only runs about 20 minutes every hour. Lazy river does not have enough floats! Bring your own with you, or be prepared to overpay at the giftshop for a float. Rooms were alright, could use an update. beds were hard and only 2 double sized mattresses, which was difficult to sleep comfortably travelling as a family of 4. We had quite a few ants in our room, but maintenance came and sprayed our room rather quickly. Not impressed the room needed spraying, given how much we paid. The restaurants are a waste of time, as the food was not that great. Buffet was actually better. Don't bother witht he Mediterranean restaurant, it should be called Italian, and the food was very average. Only restaurant worth the trip was the Japanese. Entertainment staff were fabulous, Frederico was a super MC at night, and both my kids really took to Gaby, she was wonderful, always smiling. Roderigo also went out of his way for us. This resort is great if you have kids, but don't go if you are a couple looking for a getaway.

Room Tip: Building near theatre is noisy.
1  Thank MacFamily7777

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management of the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, we would like to thank you not only for choosing our resort to spend your vacation, but also for taking the time to share with us and other travelers, your opinion of your stay at our hotel.

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere regret for your dissatisfaction with some aspects of our services.

We would like to inform you that the hotel has a weekly fumigation program to keep ants away from rooms and patios. But in cases where guests report any additional problem, we assist them right away and follow up during the week to make sure ants stay away.

Apologies about your impression on our gastronomy. The Executive Chef has been informed of your comments to work on several areas.

Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will also go far in encouraging our team.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future; please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We traveled with another family and had 4 kids ranging in age from 6 to 1. All of them found something fascinating about the resort. The peacocks were a hit with the younger ones and the pool and beautiful beach was what the older ones loved. The rooms were fine and the food was reasonably good for an all inclusive. We eventually go used to the lack of internet availability in the hotel but were planning to update friends and family back home on a more consistent basis. The 11 year old could not comprehend why wireless connections were only available in the lobby for a hefty fee ( $3 per 5 minutes). Overall we enjoyed our stay, the beach, activities and the grounds of the resort are simply beautiful. The food is heavily influenced by local and European menu choices so that took a little getting used to.

Room Tip: Building 51 and 52 are closest to the beach and pool activities though it is a bit of a hike to the...
1  Thank Ron Y

Dear Friend,

It is always a pleasure to receive a feedback like yours; on behalf of the entire team here at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation. We appreciate the fact that you took such care in detailing your vacation experience for all the readers on this medium.

Concerning to your comment about internet, we have just opened our “Teenie´s Club for kids” from 13 to 17 years old. It is located near the Lindo lobby and there are different games as X-box, WI, table games, TV, internet with no extra charge. We created this place for the reunion of the teenagers and help them make friends during their stay. They are always accompanied by a Star Friends member.

Please rest assured however that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective department managers, including those about the food.
One more time, thank you for your preference; we hope to have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I traveled with my husband, three adult kids, and their small toddlers for a 7 day family vacation. Getting to the resort using one of the bus services that we had reserved online worked great (I think it was USA transportation?), however, upon arrival, I realized that we didn't really need to make a reservation because there were many shuttle services and I suspect that all the prices were similar and easy to obtain. Upon arrival at the resort, we were very pleasantly surprised! The grounds were very nice, and the overall resort was very nice. We have all stayed an many other resorts and have paid considerably more, so we were not sure what to expect but the prices were reasonable and the rating/reviews were overall good, so we selected the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo as the best deal for what we were looking for overall. We were in different bldgs. but close to each other. Our room was in bldg. 53 and the others may have been in bldg. 51 and all of our locations were nice with good views overlooking the pools and in the middle of the resort for the most part. The room decor and furniture was indeed older but it was very clean and nice. Only issue in our room was that the tub did have a crack in the plastic flooring but that was not really a big deal considering there was no mold or visible mildew which I was grateful for. I knew we weren't getting a 5 star resort so we didn't expect that everything would be perfect but when you get very clean and rather nice, overall, you can't ask for much more for the price. I agree with all of the good things that other reviewers have said about the pools, restaurants, activities, etc. We did make our restaurant reservations before arrival couple weeks prior, which I'd recommend and that worked out well. The bldg. concierge was helpful when we needed to make changes and rather pleasant and approachable. The toddlers really enjoyed the evening shows that were geared towards all kids and was quite interactive. Their music and entertainment for the kids/toddlers was appropriate and fun for the kids. Then, after the kids show, the adult show started and that was a nice touch too. The Japanese and Steakhouse were our favorites but we enjoyed all of the restaurants. The buffets were just ok but to be expected. The Starfriends were nice and stopped by to visit with us often to say hi to the kids. The kids club was closed when we were there in Oct. 2012 which was disappointing. Oh, it would have been nice if the front desk would have placed our rooms a bit closer together or in the same bldg. as requested, that that was fine. Our first room was on the backside overlooking the garden and I asked to move to another room which actually was nicer and overlooked the pools. The front desk was helpful and accommodating, overall. It would have been nice to have internet in Lindo but we did pay for a daily pass when needed which was not too expensive. My husband said the drinks were not very strong or good but ok. Here is the worst part for us that makes me rate this resort a 3 instead of a 4: My adult daughter ordered evening room service of hamburger and fries and found a live worm on top of the lettuce in the hamburger. There was absolutely no excuse for this and I can't imagine that it wasn't noticed when fixing the darn sandwich. Needless to say, none of us ordered any more room service and I probably will never order room service again. When my daughter told the front desk about it the next day, they were not very apologetic and did not make an honest effort to make it up to her. Shame on them! A kind gesture and authentic show of concern goes a long way but they missed this opportunity and it didn't sound like they were all that surprised to hear about it. Made me wonder if this happens often or if they just don't care! Overall, we had a great time and made the best of our vacation together as a family! We were not looking for things to complain about so we focused on all the good things that Lindo had to offer. Oh, we did have massages on the beach and at the spa and by far, the massage on the beach was much better! It seems that they work a bit harder for your business and are bit for eager to please than at the spa. They went out of their way to give a good massage on the beach so I'd recommend the beach massage over the spa. The price is the same and I wish I could remember the ladies who gave our massages on the beach - they were good! The spa was nice but the pool area was not as large as expected. The staff was nice though. They do need a restaurant that is specifically for children with a play area inside or on the grounds near the restaurant for toddlers and food that woo children would be nice. Overall, we were pleased and would consider returning but we would have to think twice though given the incident and response regarding the worm in the food!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FayeCincinnati

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers how your holiday went at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

Regarding our rooms, please note that their style is being done accordingly to the hotel structure and decoration is to be matched with our tropical/ jungle style. However we do believe that renovations and improvements can be done and even though they are carried out throughout the year, they are done by blocks/areas since the hotel never closes and we need to ensure that there are no inconveniences to our guests during their stay at our resort. We of course take into consideration your comments.

We would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working in areas to be improved. All our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. We apologize about the crack you mentioned; our Maintenance Manager has been informed.

We regret the situation with the internet connection, unfortunately the internet service at Lindo is not included into the all inclusive package. Internet is included only when booking into Paraiso Maya or Grand Paraiso (not at Paraiso Beach or Del Mar hotels). However, we will pass your comment on to the Management.

We really regret the incident happened with the food; it would have been a great help having your concierge alert of this incident so that they would have taken the necessary measures at the time. We apologize profusely about the front desk attitude; management has been informed of it.

We appreciate the constructive comments from our guests because they help us provide a better service. As mentioned, every point has been forwarded to each Department Manager in order to take the necessary correcting measures.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you back in the near future; we will be more than happy to have you back again.

Kind regards,

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!