“Already planning my way back...”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I told myself I would be brutally honest in writing my review so I will not leave out the bad parts, however, I must say up front that this hotel is the best and I can't wait to go back! Every time we climbed on a tour bus we listened to people from different hotels bemoan the fact that they didn't stay at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. The place is magnificent!

I'll start with my complaints. Whatever you do, purchase your sunscreen at home or at the airport. My husband and I decided to carry on our bags and travel light since we had read the hotel had shops with sunscreen and other personal items for sale. So we were quite shocked and felt cheated and scammed when we waltzed into the hotel gift shop as soon as we arrived and were forced to pay $28 for a small bottle of sunscreen. This blew my mind.

We of course protested and were given every excuse as to why the hotel was forced to inflate the price so criminally. The guy behind the counter even argued the sunscreen had to be imported from Austrailia unitl my husband pointed out the label: Made in the USA. We grudgingly bought the bottle since our only other option was to pay $20 for a round trip for 2 to Playa Del Carmen in the hopes that someone might charge less than $8 for sunscreen. This experience was awful and really ruined my first day at the hotel. I still can't understand why a hotel who goes to such lengths to roll out the red carpet for its guests would risk its reputation over sunscreen, but the ordeal would soon fade away (along with my temper) as I got to know Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.

The grounds are enormous--lush, pristine, colorful and exotic. Everywhere you look there is something to feast your eyes on. Bubbling pools of aqua blue water swirl beneath your feet as you walk along wooden bridges. Fountains cascade and palms wave and bright flowers peak out from the landscape. There are two enormous pool areas that are so huge you feel alone as you swim along. You can swim through waterfalls to sit on stools at the bar, lay on tiled loungers sunk into the water, post up below bridges in the quiet shade, sit on tanning ledges to soak up the sunshine, or play one of the many sport games with the hotel employees who dance, jump, and inspire you to party-along.

And oh the beach! I had read others post on this site about the beach being rocky and less-than other beaches in the area. It wasn't until the last day when my husband and I took a long hour to stroll the length of the beach that we found a sliver of water with rocks on the bottom. I am in love with that beach. The sand was cool and velvet-soft and so clean and white. The water was clear and pristine without seaweed and jelly fish and it was wonderful to walk along or gaze upon from under the shade of palapa tops. We enjoyed dipping in the ocean to cool off and then sprawling across wicker beds to watch the sheer white curtains float in the breeze while listening to the rushing sounds of the sea.

The things that really made this resort stand out were the giant wave pool, the lazy river, the shopping mall, and the enormous selections of restaurants.

I'm not sure why I enjoyed the wave pool so much--bobbing up and down--but I felt like a child as I squealed with delight with every crest and fall of the wave. The lazy river was the ultimate relaxation experience. Many times my husband and I were all alone on the river dozing off and on as we held hands on the tubes. The river was surrounded in marvelous landscaping so it was spotted with sunlight and shaded by mangroves, palm trees, and oleanders. We floated past rock water falls and they splashed us awake when we were about to fall asleep.

The shopping mall was a delightful surprise. It was very large and the grounds were fabulous. A velvet and painted horse carousel spun at the entrance. The center of the mall was a beautiful iron gazebo surrounded by tables and chairs--the perfect spot for a mariachi band and dancing. We followed the shaded route around the central courtyard, walking over pools of water with bubbling fountains. We stopped for ice cream and if we were hungry there was a hamburger cafe. We stopped in several souvenir stores, a children's toy and candy store, a leather shop, many clothing stores, a sunglasses hut, a shoe shop, and sauntered past the spa and the Galaxy night club set up with giant star wars and space themed sculptures. We happened to talk to others who went to playa del carmen and despite our sunscreen fiasco we found out that the prices were on the mark with the prices downtown.

The food was fantastic. The selection was never ending. My favorite part of the hotel was the enormous dessert buffets. I was determined to try every single dessert and found it impossible even though every lunch and dinner was ended with a huge plate covered in six or eight little desserts which I nibbled on to taste. I loved the seared tuna and the cold soups--pineapple and avocado were my favorites. Above the pool was an ice cream bar and it served iced cappuccinos. The beach features several buffets with grilled foods and drink bars. I don't drink alcohol but even I enjoyed the free pina coladas (virgin, of course).

We ate at a different restaurant every night. My favorite by far was the Japanese restaurant. I really enjoyed the lobster at the Mexican and Seafood restaurants. The room service was limited by the option to order whatever you want, anytime, was nice.

Every night the hotel put on a big show under their outdoor theater. We only made it to one of them and it so happened to be the night they put on a show for the kids. We watched it anyway and I really had a blast. Every popular cartoon was represented: Lion King, the Little Mermaid, Incredibles, Scooby Doo, Jungle Book, Alladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Rio, Tarzan, Finding Nemo, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and more. They would play a bit of the movie while they did a quick scene change and then a cast of costumed characters would come out to put on a show and dance to the famous songs. Even as an adult I enjoyed it. Staff came around to serve drinks. It was nice.

I suppose my biggest complaint was that the hotel advertised jacuzzis. They certainly had many vigorously bubbling jacuzzis--they were just cold. One looked so inviting surrounded by a giant rock waterfall. But it too was cold. We called the lobby to see if they had any heated jacuzzis on the property and found out they only offered heated jacuzzis through the spa or in upgraded rooms that feature a corner bathtub on the balcony. We puzzled over this. Why advertise jacuzzis as part of the all-inclusive package if they are cold? It seems the cost to heat them would be minimal in comparison to the costs incurred everywhere else throughout the hotel. Certainly their goal is to bring people back. So why the cold jacuzzis? This is the only reason my husband insists we diligently shop around before booking our next stay at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. If we can find an equally magnificent hotel with heated jacuzzis we just might make the switch. Might.

Anyway, the place was perfect. My only suggestions for the hotel would be not to risk your reputation on ripping people off who forgot to bring sunscreen, heat your jacuzzis or stop advertising them as part of the all-inclusive package, and a nook of hammocks in the shade of the beach would be divine (although the beds are a good option in their place).

Overall, this was a wonderful hotel. I didn't want to leave. I nearly cried when we had to climb on the bus to the airport. I'm already plotting my way back to Iberostar.

A note on tour recommendations: Skip Rio Secreto and spend the extra $25 a person to go to Xplor (your won't be sorry!), if you want to check out the ruins go to Coba since they still allow you to climb the pyramid (Chichen Itza no longer allows this) and if you are on vacation with younger children who won't enjoy zip lining in your lap go to Xcaret. Whatever you do, you will have a blast!

Room Tip: I wouldn't spend the extra money on upgrading. The standard rooms are just as nice and they have...
11  Thank Candace I
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday Mexico.
We are glad that your holiday has been paradisiacal and that you enjoyed your time with us.
With respect to your comments about the jacuzzis, we would like to inform that we do not provide or advertise this service. Our open-air pools have the same temperature. On the contrary, at our Spa you will be able to find the sauna, the steam room, different type and sizes of Jacuzzis, Sweden showers and an indoor pool with warm and salty water for thalasotherapy. Likewise, we recommend our guest bringing their own suitable sunscreen. At our shops guests will be able to find many different options from 20 to 30usd and I would like to note that the prices are not at all different from the ones you find in town.
Our main goal is our guest´s full satisfaction. We aim to impress our guests with our well kept grounds, beach and our beautiful pools. It was so rewarding to read your review.
Thank you for your comments about our Magic Land show, it is our new jewel and the kids really loved it.
We would also like to thank your suggestion about putting hammocks on the beach. We will pass the comment to the Management.
Thank you for your very complete and constructive feedback. It will for sure help us to improve our service.
We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

What can i say fantastic, dont know what people find to moan about on here. Room was great ,usual hotel room spotless, great view of the pools, top floor was a bit of a bind climbing stairs but we did request top floor for the view and were not dissapointed. Food was fab lots to choose from, really enjoyed the different restaurants every night made a great change. Loved the steak house, cajun and japenese visited these twice.Beach was beautiful, sea really warm but waves very strong you have to watch the kids whilst in the sea could easily sweep them away but you are warned of this with the red flags. Jet ski was great and quite cheap compared to europe which was a surprise. loved the pool bar with louis the bartender he was great, met loads of fantastic people from america, cheers guys for a great time. The staff are amazing from alan at check in who greeted us warmly to the housemaids who kept our fridge stocked for us, our concierge in block 53 was brill they acted really swifly when we had a problem only minor but still service was excellent. Waiters very attentive and helpfull . the star freinds leo tracey marilyn little carlos etc were great entertaining my daughter with bacci ball, bingo, beach party, pool games etc but our favourite staff member was rudolpho in the fish tank bar he kept us entertained for hours just watching him his great service and my lovely irish coffees in the evening met some great people and will definately return. got other reviews for xcaret dolphinaris and chichen itza

Room Tip: block 53 is pretty central and not noisy
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank brynsmll

Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the Manager we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience with us.
We are delighted to hear that you have had a wonderful holiday at Paraiso Lindo.
We will congratulate our staff that they have contributed to making your holiday special
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in a very near future.

Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I am so excited to be going back to iberostar! We stayed at the Maya this past May and booked our trip to the Lindo as soon as we got back, that's how much we loved it. We will be staying November 6th - 15th so look for my extended review when I return. But for now if your looking to plan a trip to Mexico look no further! Staff is great, star friends my son can't wait to see you again! Food is delicious, pools and beach are huge. And the walking is not bad at all. Beds are hard but I will definitely be getting a mattress topper this time! Btw for all the people claiming there are thieves working here, we accidentally left our safe open one day with tons of cash, jewelry, etc. Security found us, brought us back to our room and helped us re- code the system. Absolutely nothing was taken! We love iberostar and can't wait to go back, just a few more days!!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank jaidansmom16

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo & Maya for your vacation in Mexico.
We are delighted to hear that you have had a fabulous experience during your stay with us.
Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

First I really enjoyed the friendliness from maintance staff to the receptionist. They were all first class. The food was excellent, keep in mind most of their food has a caribbean flavor. Which means a sweet taste. Lots of fruits. I being from Texas usually like my food spicy ( Cajun or Tex mex). Breakfast buffet was awsome, just remember to tell them you like your milk cold. The room was very clean and nice. My only grip with the whole trip was the bed was very hard, but wife had staff put memory cushion on bed which helped a lot. The pools were well maintained. Really enjoyed the swim up bar it was excellent. If just laying out the staff would get any thing you wanted. Now to its best feature the beach. The snack bar food was excellent, the water was just beautiful awesome shade of blue. It was very peaceful. Enjoyed kayak in the morning. The bar was very handy and bathrooms on the beach was surprising very clean. I did not make any shows, but the couple we were with said they were really good. The night club galaxy did not start happening to after midnight. It was a lot of fun the one night that we went. I would recommend walking the resort at night and see how everything is light up, very cool. Al

2  Thank Wreckingcrew

Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff and the management of Paraiso Lindo, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your holiday in Mexico.
Thank you for taking the time and write this review for Trip Advisor, we appreciated our guest’s comments as we are committed to maintaining high quality standards for customer service.
We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

What an excellent experience! We've been to many places including Hawaii, Bahamas, and other locations within Mexico and can honestly say Ibeorstar LINDO was the best by far for the value.The staff, service, and over all amenities are exceptional. The grounds and rooms were spotless with a gorgeous white sand beach. A great place for family fun or a romantic getaway. Outstanding in everyway!
Treat yourself to the Iberorsar experience, you will not be disappointed! Don and Joy, Chicago IL

2  Thank Dezu2

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Lindo for such a special occasion as your anniversary is.
We are extremely proud to hear that you have had a memorable experience, thank you for this feedback, we really appreciated it.
We hope to serve you again in the next future. And hopefully you would consider us your “home away from home”.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We traveled in a group of 16, incl 7 children. It was an amazing week! The staff is great. Food is excellent. Very good gym too. Lots of activities for all ages. Both the beach and the pools are outstanding. My only complaint is that they charge to use wi-fi. We plan to go again next year, only with more friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TBwoi

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and for taking the time to share your review about your experience.
We are glad that your holiday has been special for you and your family, this type of comments motivates us to providing an excellence service. With respect to the internet access, this is one of the differences between the hotels, we have 5 hotels in the complex and each one has different facilities. We offer convenient packages when getting more than one day of internet service. Please do not hesitate to ask our Concierge or Front Desk staff about them. But thank you for sharing your point of view on regards to this service.
We look forward to seeing you and your family again at Iberostar.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

A wonderful place to stay. Great prices and a great location. We felt very safe and will bring our family next time. Food was very good. large selection of activities to do. We loved the pool, beach, and nightly shows

2  Thank ddellinwood

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers how your holiday went. It definitely motivates us to continue improving our service.
We are confident that you will be staying again at our hotel. We look forward.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!