“Great resort, great beach, good times”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Just came back from 11 days stay in Iberostar Paraiso Lindo (July 2-13). I liked this resort very much - it is one of the better ones I have been to. Most of the reviews already correctly describe this resort, so in my review I'll focus on areas that I believe I can bring more clarifications.

Before arriving
A week before arriving I send request for quiet room in building 50 or 51. I requested 3rd floor. I got exactly that - room on the 3rd floor in building 51. It was very quiet room, close to the beach. I was very happy that

management listen to what I wanted.
A week before arraiving I send list of restaurants I would like to book for each night (all 11 nights). I got confirmation for my restaurant reservations within 24 hours. Now that was an amazing service! Thank you Iberostar for that! What a huge difference in service, comparing for example with RIU hotels where you have to way each morning to book restaurants. When I arrived to resort I gave printed out e-mail with confirmations to consierge and she printed me reservations for each night (separate receipt).
That was a great service from Iberostar, definitely 5+ service here.

Resort
As other people said, this is a big resort. It really depends on your vacation style and on your room location if that is going to have big impact on you or now. It did have some impact on our vacation. I have to point out that I

love to walk, but still - this is a big resort. Biggest issue we had was - that kids club was by the lobby and we spend most of our days at the beach. So it was not easy to just come by kids club an check if our daugther wants to

stay there for that activity or if she is there, to check if she wants to go back with us. Otherwise walk to dinner or to show was never a problem for us.

Food - buffet
I would say that food at the buffets was similar to other AI resorts I stayed at. Iberostar had nice selection of cheeses and maybe few other items that other resort don't always have. What I missed for buffet meals - one "special"

a bit better dish for each meal. It looked that most days buffet had exactly same meal for each breakfast or each lunch. I ate most of breakfast and lunch meals in the restaurant by the end of the pool (where at nights they called

it "Itallian").
I had one dinner at the buffet and altough food was similar to other AIs dinners, at Iberostar they manage to make nicer ambience and even dinner at the buffet felt "upscale".
So as for AI food was good, I would give it 5 stars

Food - a la carte
This resort had probably best a la carte dinners that I have been too. For lobster lovers - best lobster in my opinion is at "Mexical" restaurant. Then they also have "surf and turf" at "La Marina". And they also have lobster

medalions at "Italian" restaurant. My only issue would be with their steak house. Our food there was not good (my ribs were bearly warm), so other items on the plate (like corn) were also just bearly worm. But I talked to other

guests and I believe that my experience was probably an exception.
So for a la carte dinners I would give 5+ stars.

Drinks
Actually I was surprised how bad sometimes (!) drinks were. If you drink beer or rum+coke, then you will not be impacted because it is easy to make these drinks. But I like mixed drinks and I had to learn which bartender knows how to make which drink. Without doubt best drinks were at the snake bar, anything we ordered there was good (I always tried to make sure that my drinks there were made by bartender Cesar). Actually for shows many times I would go to snake bar, order drinks there and bring them to show place. At the beach definatelly better bartender was Hugo, but even he would cut corners sometimes (for example when ordering banana margarita he would use mostly rum and just sometimes tequila). Day when Hugo was off, I tried few mixed drinks, but then they were not good at all, so I just had beer for the rest of that day. I don't know why each bartender has each own recipe for each drink. But in many cases difference was between "good drink" and "I am just going to poor this drink out". For management - if you read this post, please do test orders for "orange margarita" and "banana margarita" in each bar and you will see what I am talking about. I was also disappointed that resort did not have fruit smoothies in the morning. I tried ordering fruit smothies from theater bar, but bartender just gave me "red slushy". By the way, I tipped every 2-3 drinks.
Now tip for other travelers - try giving more details during every order. For example "margarita with <this> tequila", or "mohito, but not too sweet", etc. In the evenings they also have many good alkohol brands, but you always have to ask for specific brand, otherwise you'll get cheaper stuff.

Beach
That is very I spent most of our time. I would wake up between 6:30-7:00am and would come to beach and would stay there till about 5pm. At the start of my stay hotel occupancy was about 75%, then on the weekends and second week I believe it went up to 100%. THis hotel has much more beach space comparing to hotels in Playa del Carmen, so clearly there was enough space for everybody. Lindo/Maya beach was best - much better than "Grand" hotel and "Beach/Del Mar" hotels. On the beach I would stay in area between lifeguard tower and Grand hotel. This area was nicer (in my opinion) and did not have these small fences (I believe to protect turtle eggs, but I am not sure). This area had 7 palapas in a row and 5 rows. Most days palapas in first row would be gone by 7am, but just very few people would actually stay - most would just leave towels and few personal things. By about 8am second row of palapas would go. By 9-9:30 most days rest of palapas would go.
During my 11 days stay, every day there was yellow flag (swim with caution). But some days there were very few waves, yet probably 5 days during my stay waves were big. When waves where big, you cannot stay in water close to shore, because waves would break there. So most of the people would stay in line where waves would not break yet, but they were still stand at the bottom of ocean. When waves were big, undertow was strong and you would feel pull into ocean. But even then once in a while big wave would come that would break where people would lined up, and then you would see people loosing glasses, hats, gogles, etc.
Assume that lifeguard is not there - most of the time he was not paying any attention to swimmers.

Weather
It was actually colder than I was expecting. In the first row under palapa I was always very comfortable. Probably just 4-5 days of my stay sun was very strong. Other days there were a lot of clauds. During my stay rained few times, but I believe just once during the day, but for short time. So rain was not an issue.

Guests
Probably 45% Americans, 45% from Latin America, 10% rest (Canada, Europe, Russia, etc)

I would definitely recommend this hotel, even with small issues we had I would go back there.

17  Thank Vidas M
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We are greatly honored that of all the myriad of other resorts in the Caribbean to choose from, you chose the Iberostar for your recent vacation. Your kind words concerning our delicious food, pools/beach, grounds, rooms, entertainment, varied activities and personalized service of our staff was also encouraging to our Team. We are always anxious to create new and exciting memories for our guests.

Please be assured that we remain committed to your total satisfaction. To this end, it is hoped that you will not hesitate to return soon, so we can treat you to another hassle-free vacation.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Two weeks at this amazing hotel was just not enough, looking forward to next year already. This is our third year in a row staying at an all inclusive on the atlantic side, and it was just a perfect holiday in every way. The hotel is very clean, the grounds are breath taking, but it was the staff that made this a truly wonderfull experience. Everyone from the maids to the grounds people had a ready smile (a real smile) and a friendly greeting. We are in our sixties, and our health is not excellent, but although this is a very large complex we had not trouble at all. We were there June 10-24. I have read some negatives about cleanliness etc. during that time, and must say I never saw or experienced any of the negatives stated. If we had any problems, (fridge not working) it was replaced in less than an hour. Not only was it replaced, a follow up call was made to make sure everything else was in perfect working order.
The floors are very slippery when it rains, so be very carefull. Umbrellas in the room is a very nice touch. We stayed in building 52, very well located, kinda in the middle, both a short walk to the beach and buffet. We went over to the sister complex The Beach to have a glass of wine, ouch, not the same wine you will get at the Lindo, the wine alone is a good reason to choose the Lindo.
We met some wonderfull people, alot of families from England, it's funny being told I was the one with the accent. There was alot of children at this complex, but with so much for them to do it was never a problem for us. The star friends are everywhere, and so helpfull. There is a party end to the pool, and a more quiet end for us older folks, although we spend most of our time enjoying the beautifull ocean. My husband is still talking about how gorgeous the beach is. Most days the waves were not too big, ( yellow flag) the occasional day we had a red flag, but we were still able to go into the water, we just stayed in the designated area and we were just fine.
Special mention and a big thankyou to Guillermo, Monsarrat, Rosa, and Brandy at the Lindo lobby bar, what fun they were. We will be back :~)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cheryl B

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review.

Your emphasis on our services and facilities and friendliness of our staff was most gratifying. We are pleased to learn that our tireless efforts in ensuring your overall satisfaction did not go unnoticed. Here at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo we take pride in offering a unique and memorable visit, so we were motivated by your words.

Please come again soon to your “Mexican home away from home"

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic week at the Lindo in July. There were 8 of us in two rooms...4 parents with our 4 kids (ages 8, 10, 11, and 13). We used Liberty travel and Olympus tours for our transport to resort from airport in Cancun (20 minute drive). They were awesome.

Check-in was a bit lengthy, and somewhat confusing. But it all worked out fine, I think we were just tired from traveling. We were delighted to find that they upgraded us to a junior suite. We were in building 51 on the 3rd floor and only one room separated us. So this was perfect.

Pros: As stated in many reviews, this place is spotless, ALL of the staff is VERY friendly (other than one encounter that I will mention later), these people work very hard. The grounds are beautiful and the pools are amazing. Fantastic beach! We had a few days with some bigger waves, but we are from the east coast and compared to the Atlantic ocean -it was like glass! The water is very pretty and warm! We saw fish several times swimming right around us. We fed them bread and they were jumping right out of the water. We chose to parasail ($60 pp), and snorkle ($40 pp). These activities were really fun, and available right on the Lindo beach and we thought priced well. We were worried about it being too hot, but it was perfect weather-actually way cooler than it was back home! We did head down every day early and reserve a palapa, though there are plenty of them. We just wanted a good location (close to beach and snack bar). Another concern was safety in Mexico (thanks to overly concerned friends and family). We never felt unsafe at all!

You never feel pressured to tip here at all, thought we did almost everywhere we went.

We took a day trip to Delphinius to swim with the dolphins and that was excellent! Though as mentioned on here, the pictures are very expensive! We did decide to buy the pictures at $213 for 99 pictures (comes on a cd). The swimming was amazing, but don't expect it to have "free-play". It is very regulated as to what you can and can't do. I imagine it is for your safety. We bought $14 biodegradable sunblock which was not necessary at all. The Primax swim takes place in shaded swim areas.

We loved the little touches like the staff walking around with a monkey, toucans, and an iguana. There was a mechanical bull one day, and a cooking beach party. Our kids really wanted to hang out with the star friends more, but the couple of times they did- they really loved them!

The food was a pro and a con in my opinion. There are plenty of options, but you are in Mexico, so everything is just a bit different. Some of our kids had trouble with this. I personally really liked most of it. The Japanese was our favorite. We all loved the breakfast buffet, it was right next to the pool.

Cons: Traveling with the 4 kids made evenings a bit tough. The pools close at 7:00 at night, and this was a big problem for us. We watched a couple of the shows, they were fun the first two nights. They kids did enjoy the vendors set up near the lobby every other night. But other than that we didn't know what to do with them, since all they really wanted to do was swim!

If you like wine (like my sister-in-law and I) we REALLY struggled with the wine here. We finally found one kind of wine we liked on the last night at the buffet, and an employee would not let us take our glass of wine out with us to the vendor area. This was very frustrating especially since we even asked for a plastic cup! They only serve Dos Equis (sp?) beer, and only some of the bars offer top shelf liquor. Make sure you ask for it. Regreted not bringing insulated cups for all of us.

The coatis are very cute, but be warned they do nip! Our youngest daughter was nipped by one who we think was protecting her babies. Luckily, it did not break the skin.

Bring tons of sunscreen, it is very pricey at the resort. We also, brought our own inner tubes for the kids which was a great idea. They sell them there for about $10 though. We brought snacks for the kids which was helpful (again they sell Pringles, etc. in the shops but they are expensive).

The rooms were just ok. We had some plumbing issues with ours (sink was clogged, toilet overflowed). But they were fixed right away. There were ants-mostly outside. The beds were dreadful. Super hard, and only a double size. If you want to watch tv, most of the stations are in spanish. But this was fine as we were hardly in our rooms, and didn't need tv anyway! Loved the stocked fridge, and the balcony (we overlooked the pool). They were cleaned quite well daily with (usually) towel art. We tipped daily.

Despite the little areas of concern, we really enjoyed our trip. Where ever you go, nothing is ever perfect. We are a little picky, so keep that in mind. Definitely WAY more positives than negatives here!

5  Thank LisaMexico12

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We are honored to have been your hosts on your last vacation. Thank you to highlight the pros and cons and to give as a constructive feedback because it is the kind of this review which helps to improve.

Please also allow us to express our sincere gratitude to you for opting to stay at our hotel and recommending our property to your friends/family. It will be our pleasure to ensure that we provide you with yet another memorable trip in the near future.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just returned from a one week stay with a large group of family members for a destination wedding. We loved our visit and would consider returning in the future.

Reception--Very chaotic with hint of 'the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing'. We requested one particular floor but couldn't be accomodated, then we could, then we couldn't...One person would give one piece of information and then another employee would say something different. Once we actually could check-in to our room, all was fine. Did not require front desk assistance again.

Staff--Terrific, helpful staff. Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room spotless and meeting our needs when they cropped up. There are always employees cleaning, trimming, fixing and maintaining the property. Two thumbs up!

Food--I would rate 4 out of 5 for food. The specialty restaurants were good, with our best meals coming from the steak house and japanese-hibachi restaurants. Reservations are not easy to come even in advance. The restaurants book only a certain number of tables for each sitting, so when you arrive you will see a restaurant that is 1/2 empty. Breakfast buffets are excellent; endless choices with the made to order eggs station being a personal favourite. The buffet restaurant by the main lobby is better than the buffets by the pool; more atmosphere and a little more formal in my opinion. Be prepared for birds flying in and out of the pool area buffet restaurant at times and sometimes nabbed food off people's plates. Lunches were our least favourite meals. There were many choices but the typical pizza (pre-fab crusts) and nachos gets old after 4 days.

Pools and Bars--The pools were great. Lots of different types for different moods (wave, lazy, kids pool areas) and, you also have access to neighbouring properties. We checked out the pools at the del mar next door and their pools were more on the quiet side.

Enjoyed the 'ledge' area in the main pool so that little ones could play that were non-swimmers.
The piano bar by the lobby made good drinks and remember to ask for the popcorn. Luis was our favourite bartender by far. Galaxy dance club is across the road at the other property. It's a little on the cheesy side (star wars theme) but okay to dance for a little while. Does not open til 10:30.

Overall impressions: We really enjoyed our stay and would return. Rooms were clean and comfortable with firm beds, which we liked. THe property is beautiful and well-kept but be prepared for long walks; it's a large place with many paths running parallel to the property. It took us a few days to figure out where things were and the hotel maps didn't help us much. We couldn't tell where one property ended and another one began from the map given upon check-in. If you have mobility issues you will want to request a ground floor room. You can't rely on the use of golf-carts to get you where you want to go for your entire stay.

Room Tip: Request to face the jungle/trees in building 51 otherwise you'll face the splashing pool.
7  Thank Sally A

Dear guest

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay with us. Your comments and the time you dedicated to let us know a very valuable feedback of your stay at Iberostar. You can be sure of the follow up of your recommendations in order to improve our services and avoid such problems in the future. Guest ´s satisfaction is our main goal. Thanks again for your comments and constructive feedback . We hope you give us the opportunity to host you in a near future and restore your confidence in Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This resort is awesome. More than I ever expected. I took a girls trip there in June and we had the best time ever. This is a beautiful resort. We enjoyed everything from the food to the wave pool, the lazy river, and specialty restuarants. When we first stepped into the Check-in area it was breaktaking. I started looking for Robin Leach. I just knew he would walk in any mintue. (I guess the rain kept him away). The only down side for us was that it rained the entire first 21/2 days we were there. However it forced us to do other indoor things at the resort that we probably would not have done or experienced had it not rained. But we more than made up for it the other 21/2 days we were there. The entertainment needs work.

Room Tip: The resort is really huge so make sure you take comfortable walking shoes
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JUSTSPEAK2MYHEART
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have gone to Iberostar Pariaso Lindo nine times and im about to go my tenth time in Febuary. I have so many good memories in this place and it makes me so happy when im there. The Food is Excelent, the service is amazing, the beach and pool is spotless and the water is so clean in both the ocean and pool. There is always things to do and is a perfect vacation for anyone, If your going with your family with children or if your on your honeymoon, its perfect becase there are always activities if you want some pool action and games, but there is also time to just relax in a nice quiet area. This place is big and i love it there are several diffrent pools and restuantes to go to. The Star friends are amazing and every single year i went there, they always rememberd my name and would be very outgoing. The night life is always good between all the diffrent shows in the theater, the kareoke bar, and the disco, there is always something to do. They have so many diffrent activites like archery, water polo, vollyball, pool games, rifel shooting, dance lessons, spanish lessons, bingo, and so much more! Coming here i fell in love with the Mexican-Spanish Culture and couldn't believe that a resorte could be so perfect. There are always people cleaning so the place is spotless, the rooms are nice and have evrything you would need. Whenever i come here i never want to go home thats why i keep coming back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are spectacular but i sugest that you get a room thats close to the pool because if yo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lauren C

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your opinion on this website. We were grateful to have had the opportunity to host you again after nine times!!! We are so proud to know we have you in our property and make you feel part of the Iberostar family.

We are going to be waiting to welcome you again and give you again the feeling of being at home away from home!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Visited the resort in May. A little hairy to start due to bus losing brakes and having to transfer to new bus but we made it safe. Other couple accidentially left pouch on bus with passports, credit card and a little cash. Communication with Apple was terrible on when they would return pouch.. one time at 5:30, then 6:30, then 8:30 and finally returned it the next day with everything in tack.

Rooms are nice. Showers/tub was awkward to use shower head. Service was good. A little bit of walking from lobby to room. Each building has customer service so they'll call a golf cart for transporting you anywhere on grounds.

Restaurants were decent. Emailed resort ahead of time and was able to book a different restaurant each night at a set time. Lindo lobby bar was terrible service. Maya lobby bar was great service and atmosphere. Entertainment at pool was good the first few days but then the same old thing afterwards. Lindo and Maya share the same pool. Shows were average at night. Best bar was showroom bar for good drinks other than a cosmo. They had no clue how to make... Maya bar was where to go for martini's.

Would I go back? Maybe the Maya side as it was a little more upscale. But overall still find other resorts a better in food/drink quality.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caddy928
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to share your review of our property on this website. We are thankful for your feedback. It helps us to know where to pay attention and to keep improving as it is our tendency.

It is hoped that when next you are planning a vacation, Iberostar will be foremost in your mind as your destination of choice. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!