“Activities A+++, Food just average....”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
louisville, ky
“Activities A+++, Food just average....”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you're looking for a fun resort with tons of activities for both adults and kids of all ages, this is your place. The fun is never-ending and the "Star Friends" are super friendly and everywhere you turn -- Jeanette and Daniel were two of our favorites! Just a few of the many activities -- water polo, water basketball, lazy river, wave pool, darts, archery, air gun, bingo, ping pong, dance lessons, kayaks, sail boats, scuba classes, water aerobics, bike tours, pool games, I could literally go on and on...always something fun to do!!

The variety of food is also never-ending...so many different options, I can't even begin to name everything -- the only thing lacking, for me personally, were healthy options. With the exception of the fresh fruits/salad, a lot of stuff at the buffets and in the restaurants is fried and greasy -- apparently what most people prefer. That would be my only complaint about this amazing resort -- I found myself eating salad, bread and cheese at many meals, because I couldn't find entrees prepared without oil/butter.

That said, we seriously loved this place -- the pool service is great -- always someone coming around at the pool to take drink orders -- for kids, the banana milkshakes are insanely delicious -- as are the Coco Loco drinks for adults. Also, the rooms are stocked with plenty of water bottles, beer and canned soft drinks (all complementary) so you won't ever go thirsty.

Bring bug spray and plenty of sunscreen, definitely needed. And, men are required to wear pants to the restaurants at night. This is strictly enforced, for real.

Kids club, we only used one evening, while we went to the adults-only restaurant, but Letti was super nice and our kids had fun during the two-hours there.

We loved the shows at night -- especially the magic show and Miss Iberostar -- what a hoot! Also, volunteer to be in the pre-show because not only are they fun, the winners walk away with a free massage!

The work-out gym is ok -- air conditioned and several of each machine, when they are working.

The computers are often not working, so if you have an urgent need to check email or whatever, you may be out of luck.

Feel free to message me with any questions.

Room Tip: building 55 is perfect for families -- very close to kids club, sports pool, theater and buffet
1 Thank EG1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Roscoe, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo June 28, 2011 - July 2, 2011 with my 2 girls.
The staff was wonderful (Star Friends) The Service was Great!
We had dinner at the Gourmet (our favorite), the Italian was just okay and the Steak House over at the Maya was awesome.
The Wave pool was fun and the Lazy River was just that Lazy!
They do not have elevators so remember this when you find out what floor you are on.
If you have small children may want to request lower level room. We didn't mind the 3rd floor because of all the food we ate, it was great exercise. We will be going back for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tc7575
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The buildings and grounds exceeded our expectations times two. Other than 4 or 5 minor issues with our rooms, this was a great vacation. It was disapointing to order a virgin dacari and get cheap syrup like a 7-eleven store. The food was good, but very far from being excellent. The watersports on the beach were just OK. Some of the shows in the big open air theatre were excellent.
DO NOT believe a word the vendors say in Playa Del Carmen. They are all liars. Sorry to be so mean, but they are. DO NOT buy a trip or jewelry in Playa Del Carmen. The trip will have problems such as 5 or 6 stops before you get to your destination. The jewelry.....FAKE! All of it. Don't waste your time unless you buy it for $15 or $20 dollars. Again....liars. The Alexandrite is completely fake. Also, most everyone pushes the time shares and tries to sneak the promotion into a day trip somewhere. Watch out!
Took a day trip to Tulum Maya ruins and XEL-Ha, it was OK but extremely hot.
Overall, a very nice trip, but we most likely will never go back to Cancun/Riviera Maya area.

2 Thank inspector141
Midwest
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Lindo was a excellent resort. From the minute you walk in you can tell it is great. I was a bit nervous knowing that it is not a new resort, or recently remodeled, but it was clearly built to hold up. Thinking of that. Apple ratings are way off. I would rate this resort a golden apple higher than any of the Now Resorts, or Dreams PA. In fact I would go back and rate Dreams PA a 3 star resort after staying here as this place was almost twice as nice. Here is a quick breakdown:

Negatives:
1) Towel game is in full effect. Actually it might be worse than anywhere else I have stayed, but I am used to this. Towel game is just a part of Mexico.
2) This place is crowded, and some people are pretty rude. We came with another couple and just found some of the attitudes to be funny after awhile.
3) There is a lot of walking, but maybe it is not all necessary. I have blisters on my feet and I am an active 31 year old male. I am just not used to wearing beach sandals and walking miles everyday. I stayed in room 55, closer to the lobby, which I actually thought was better for the nighttime activities. It is closer to most all of the restaurants. The buffet for breakfast and lunch is better by the lobby. I will touch on the food in a bit. From the beach, to the room, to the taco bar and tapas (both very cool and a very nice touch), to the room, x2 times a day, your feet will hurt.

Positives:
1) Variety and quality of food. I don't know what people are talking about. I had the best food I have ever had in Mexico here. Make reservations, and do not eat at the buffet for all your meals. There is a concierge in every room block and it is easy to make reservations. French was great. Mexican was maybe not as good, but I have chili rellenos which was excellent. Also ate at the seafood, and that was a little freaky as those prawns are little monsters. I would rather someone pull them apart for me. The steak and veal was better at the Lindo than any other I have had, or at least on par with Palace Resorts.
3) I really thought the taco bar, tapas, and hamburger bar on the other side of the lobby was a nice and enjoyable touch. I ate over here for lunch and found it was great break from the madness at the lunch buffets.

I think I will stop here, but even though there are some negatives the positives by far out weigh the bad. To dispel a couple myths: I have no bug bites. None. My wife has 3, but she did not wear bug spray to the nightly shows, and I had on pants. The food is good, maybe not 5 star, but say overall a 7.5/10 which by Mexico standards is excellent. Rooms are comfortable. Hugo at the beach bar was excellent, Alex at the lobby bar was excellent, and I can remember her name but the girl at the Tapas Bar was also excellent.
Tip- It is what you do in Mexico, and you will get much better service.

Feel free to email me with any questions. Go here, and have fun!

Room Tip: Ask at check-in. They will try and work with you. I am not sure there is anyway to avoid all the w...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank itravelsome715
SD, California
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at Paraiso Lindo 9 nights with an extended family. Being at Iberostar before (Dominicana) I have to admit that this one was a better experience overall. Although, my brother stayed at Paraiso Maya before and liked Maya better. Lindo and Maya are almost identical, but being at Maya gives you some perks - like free WiFi in the lobby, access to more restaurants and, which I found disappointing, use of the Spa facilities ( we didn't know about all of these differences, just assumed the two resorts were the same, our agent never mentioned it). Other than that - it's a great place. Rooms and all areas are very clean (they literally wash all sidewalks and stairs around the buildings). Service was very quick - great convinience: having conceirge for every building, no need to go to a lobby, response is fast and with the smile. We used tennis courts - need to reserve with the same concierge, never was a problem (they also have tennis clinics in the morning). As always with Iberostar - lots of things to do, participate, shows to watch, disco, shopping. There are few buffet restaurants (near the lobby and by the pool). Both are excellent, with wide variety and great quality (lobby has more choices, more attentive service and A/C). Beach area depends on location (less rocky to the right, we noticed), but overall very comfortable, with enough umbrellas, chases, etc. Pool area is huge and has everything for everybody - wave pool, lazy river, swim bar, shallow, deep,...
We went on a tour - Xel-ha and Tulum. Was misinformed by Apple Vacation rep. about distance and timeframe. Even though they say it's close (30 min.away), it took almost 2 hours to get to the park with all the stops and traffic, which left us with much less time to spend there, and then we were 'running' to Tulum and back. Both places were interesting and worth visiting, but overall we were left feeling rushed and not completely satisfied. Needs better planning and honest explanation.
Check-in at Lindo needs some improvement. First, it took longer than it should, we were all standing by the counter, it was crowded; then, it took a while to get all rooms ready. (In Maya check-in is more civilized, people actually can sit down to fill out forms, there are more clerks to keep things moving)
Very nice gym - cool, large, with all the necessary machines, water, steam room and showers. A little far, though, to walk in the heat. Tried to wait for the resort 'train', but it never came. Unpredictable schedule.
Room bathrooms are large and clean too. Shower didn't have enough pressure, maybe because we were on the 3d floor. Room A/C worked perfectly - very comfortable and quiet, with no smells common in high humidity. Our room was a corner one and I loved wrap around balcony. One small improvement they need to make - TVs are so old that they barely have a color picture.
I would go back again, but probably choose Maya next time.

Room Tip: liked buildings closer to the beach but not overlooking pool (too busy and humid higher)
5 Thank muziklv
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Just returned from a seven night stay at the Lindo. The resort is beautiful, everything positive. It reminds me of Disney where all the employees are constantly smiling, working, and maintaining.
I would like to leave a few suggestions:
- Bring your own coffee and powdered creamer (for your in room coffee maker). The coffee is awful!
- Family of 4 went through 4 cans of sunscreen
- Make dinner reservations, dinner buffet isn't much different than lunch
- Kids shows start at 8pm adult 9:30
- bring bug spray for nighttime shows 1 can should be fine
- bring ones and five dollar bills, it was hard to make change from the bigger bills
- Bring tubes 1.99 at Target
- Pick up activities brochure at towel hut on your first day
- I hate to say this but you will have to play the towel game, after 4 days of being nice and polite we also played the game (7am).
- Brush up on your spanish (if your first visit ) you will need to ask for directions
- If staying at Lindo choose building 53 , it is the center of everyhting, facing the main pool where the swim up bar and activities are located.
- Hamburger place open till 3am at the Plaza
Hope you have as much fun as we did!

7 Thank Rudygirl2
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Really gross food a health hazard and the Mosquitos will eat you up. They spray the rooms with chemicals even when people are in them.

• Stayed July 2011
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!