“Everything we were looking for except...”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 11, 2011

My husband and I visited this resort from April 24 to May 1. We’re a couple in our forties with no kids so the family-oriented reputation of the hotel had me worried. I know some people are offended by people like us who tend to shy away from resorts with lots of kids but that’s who we are and that’s the way it is. I had read reviews prior to booking so I knew it was the case but it was always a dream of mine to go to this hotel after seeing my friend’s pictures that went in 2005 so I disregarded the fact but was starting to regret it. There are tons of kids, but it was possible to find quiet areas, so it was better than I thought and if you’re a couple like us who is a little worried after booking this hotel, don’t be. Having said that, even though I feel this was our best vacation so far (if you look at my other reviews, you’ll see that we’ve seen beautiful resorts so that’s saying a lot) there were a few incidents that made us long for adults only resorts.

The resort is the most beautiful I’ve seen so far, it is exquisite and luxurious. It has everything we look for in a resort: it’s big so we could take long strolls, super clean, beautiful pools, excellent beach, pretty good ocean for the Riviera Maya, good food and drinks and most important to us, no towel game unless you go during peak season such as Christmas or spring break. The Maya lobby and lobby bar are absolutely beautiful.

Check-in: We landed at 9:45 AM and got to our room around noon after a short drive of about 30 minutes from the airport. Check-in was smooth and we were greeted with a refreshing fruity drink. I had sent a room request but I think it’s pointless as the rooms seem to be assigned on the spot since the clerk looked in her system to see what was available. We were put in building 52 on the third floor and I was very pleased with this assignment. You could ask for another room if you don’t like the one they first offer. We were glad that our room was ready. Of course I had the full intention of asking the price of an upgrade to the Grand and there’s even a sign saying to do exactly this. The price was 170$/night. For those who are disappointed when people get a good deal by upgrading once at the hotel, that price is exactly what I would have paid if I had booked the Grand back in February so it was a fair price. We thought it was too expensive so we decided to stick with the Lindo.

Room: a little dated but very clean. An enclosed bathroom and an additional door separating the sleeping area from the corridor/bathroom section really cuts off outside noise. Ladies who have long hair, if you take away only one thing from this review this would be it: bring you own hairdryer! I’ve never seen anything like this (see my pictures), it looks like a vacuum cleaner. You don’t really know where to hold it as it gets hot real fast. I have short hair so it really wasn’t a problem but I can’t imagine someone with long hair using this every day. The concierges we’re at their desk most of the time. The one we saw the most was not super friendly but she was efficient. There are no “do not disturb/make up room” sign in the room. We asked our concierge if we could have one and she had it delivered to our room the same day. It seems it’s a hot commodity as ours was stolen a few days later! We thought the bed was firm but still comfortable. You can ask for a foam topper if you find the bed too hard. The balcony is a good size and has a drying rack

Beach/pools: The beach is the quietest place to be and there are tons of palapas. We usually got to the beach around 10:00 and there were lots of loungers left. There are no pebbles on the beach, only powdery sand. There are some rock/coral clusters in the ocean but you can easily spot them. The beach is actually much nicer than the one in front of the Grand. The waves were a bit rough (red flag) for the first half of our stay but was really calm afterwards. I love the wooden walkways on the beach, it makes it easy to walk around. The beach vendors are not aggressive at all, they just walk around showing their merchandise. We preferred the Beach/Del Mar pool because it was a lot less crowded and being in building 52, it was pretty close. They never seem to run out of beach towels, even at the end of the day so you can exchange your wet towel for a fresh one so you don’t have to do it the morning after. I had read on this site that we could use the private pools in the Maya section. We asked the concierge in building 66 if we could use the pool and she said no, it was reserved for the Maya guests. Too bad, it was totally deserted!

Food and drinks: count us in as one of the few who liked the buffets, although the food could have been hotter. We could have used more labels on the food as I would say about half the food is not labelled. We don’t like to make reservations in advance since we never know what we’ll feel like eating in 5 days. We made reservations 1 or 2 days in advance and we never had problems booking for 8:30. We did the Steakhouse (the best all inclusive steakhouse so far), Cajun (our favourite) and Gourmet (just OK). Except for the steakhouse, we couldn’t believe how small these restaurants were, but they were still very nice, especially the Gourmet. Service was prompt and the portions were just perfect, leaving room for an apetizer and a desert. Wine was just OK. We had a hamburger at the shopping center and it was really delicious. It’s too bad about that shopping center because it’s always empty. It would be such a nice place to have a drink at night but it’s not really setup that way. It’s as if people don’t know it exists. Drinks were good, except for the Kir Royal where I think they put grenadine instead of liqueur de cassis. Don’t forget to ask the waiter for your mimosa at breakfast! The mono sucios (dirty monkey) were delicious, especially in the lobby bars.

Service: Above average, not as good as the Moon Palace but way better than the Grand Palladiums. We never heard the word “no” all week. The level of English spoken by the staff is really good. Some even spoke French to us. Tip is not expected but they really appreciate it and totally deserve it.

The only con and it’s really a small one, is the internet. There’s a free Wi-Fi in the Maya lobby, which is really close, but they sure don’t tell you about it when you check-in at the Lindo. The price they charge at the Lindo is way too much. So unless you need to do some work, it’s really not a problem.

Overall, we really loved this resort and we will return if we come across a really good deal. In the meantime, there are lots of adults only resort that we want to discover.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank IceseafromMtl
Write a ReviewReviews (6,285)

Reviewed May 11, 2011

We have been to the Maya Riviera on 2 previous occasions. Last year we stayed at Dreams Puerto Adventura and had a wonderful time - the food was amazing. This year we paid a bit more and expected a bit more. It was definitely not the case.

The resorts are intertwined (4 in total), making a huge complex. We made reservations a very long time ago. I have very little leisure time, so we wanted 2 things out of a room - a King size bed (my husband and I are both over 6 feet tall) and a nice view of the pool/beach (since our son would be taking daily naps that would restrict us to the room). This was strongly conveyed when booked! When we were arrived, they told us this was not possible. We would only be getting 2 dbl beds with a view of woods. HOWEVER....if we wanted to pay an additional $300 a night, we could get a King size bed in a room with no view. I was quite upset, as we had already paid significantly more than we wanted and had with other trips. All that we spoke with smiled, but gave us no alternate, saying there were no rooms that we booked open with a King size bed. To make a long story short, we later found out from the concierge that the hotel was at one of the slowest weeks of the year and was less than half booked. She also was not able to help us with this additional fee and we just paid it - but we were definitely lied to.

Second problem - the walls of the rooms are PAPER THIN. We sat in bed every night listening to babies crying, people talking, etc in the room next to us. Didn't asked to be moved, b/c we have a baby also. It was just a huge pain. Furthermore, when the neighbors to our right left the resort, they left their alarm clock turned on for 6am. The first morning it went off for over an hour until we could get someone to come to the room and turn it off for us. The employee just hit off, but did not change the alarm. Therefore, the next morning it woke us up again - over an hour after a request called in to turn it off. This time I went in with the employee to let them know it needed to be disabled. Needless to say, we were awoken by that same alarm clock for FOUR mornings - each time 45 min to 1 hour to get someone to come and turn it off. When I complained, I just got the smile, "i'm sorry" and "you can fill out a complaint". NO - I just wanted to sleep later than 6am one day on vacation!

Finally - The food. Room service 24 hours is so cool in theory - until you taste it. We got it once - now, I am an eater and definitely not a picky one by any means. We never ordered it again. We only went to the Mexican and Italian formal restaurants and then cancelled all other invitation b/c it was the same food served in the buffets. It was the worst food I have had on a resort in the Maya Riviera.

Needless to say - the place is huge, unbelievably clean, and beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank ASL22_23
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We stay 10 days in Iberostar Lindo<... It was 7 of us. me my husband, son 10, daughter 2, niece 17, nephew 15 and my mother 69. From the moment we arrived, we were impressed on how big, beautiful and clean the resort was. I had two connecting rooms. We enjoy the pool everyday and also beach. We only left the resort twice to go to Xcaret. the children did not want to miss the shows or games by the pool. I used the gym almost everyday. Very clean and towells in each elliptical or treadmil. The buffet was DELICIOUS!!!!!! we did the paella in both Lindo and Mar. Advantage of Lindo you can go back and forth and use almost all the restaurants.. Except for two i believe.. but we had so many others that it was not a concern.. We did Habachi, steak house, gourmet and buffet in Lindo and mar..The shows at night were amazing. My 10 year old participated every night in the games and was the wolf in the shrek dance and an umpa lumpa in the chocolate factory piece.. my husband participated in the 70's spectacular.. my nephew play bingo as much as he can.. and we all play darts, air gun boche ball and even grandma join the fun with the bachata and salsa lessons... The games at the pool were sooooo much fun...the magic carpet, the hoola hoop, the surf board game... we found oruselves everyday participating... but if you are in the mood to just enjoy the sun and water. This place is so big and there are so many pools everywhere that you will have no problem finding a quite spot.. I remember my husband holding the mat and cheearing as my son run though it in the pool and it was just an amazing time!!!! The food was REALLY good.. I enjoed the buffet cause there were freash fruits, yogurts, fresh drinks, ommelletes done as you requested the.. the CHURROS were AMAZING!!! but they only had them Wednesday.. The kids of course enjoyed pancakes, waffles bacon , tacos, bagles fruits and much , much more lunch and dinner were also great with pastas, all types of meats, rice, soups, paella, .. may i add the hay Soymilk which was great since my 10 year old is allergic to milk> I have done several cruises, islands and even Atlantis... I asked my son where he wants to go next... Iberostar or atlantis and he said: Thats a tough one!!! but he added he rather come back to Iberostar cause the star friends were amazing and so much fun.. That after doing all the slides and the aquariums in Atlantis theres no much more... I love the answer cause the kids club its free in Iberostar and not$99.00 like in Atlantis... Room service was fast with a good number of selections.. to make reservations or any other problem there is a concierge in a desk with a laptop every 15 rooms... No time share hussle or rudness..... It was a great resort and we had no complaints... last days kids enjoy the sun with the ceramic paintings by the pool.... We did tip our waiter.. aroud $2.00.. they do work very hard to serve you... Miguel "el peruano" and Eduardo in the Mar section are just increadible entertainers.. Blue from the kids camp at lindo is just athe sweetest thing ever.. Their activities consisted in games, contest, movie time at the camp indoors and also outdoor time at the lazy river, wave pool and sports...and luch.... We left the resort with no charges except for my husband cigarret purchases....

Room Tip: Stay at Lindo... comfortable, clean and great food
3  Thank carmenPapa
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We have traveled into Mexico & Caribbean for over 25 years with three kids and now just us two so we know what’s out there for the money.

The Good was the grounds, cleanliness and *most of the staff. The staff are great as long as you understand you need to tip all the time, we dropped ~$400 US over two weeks and we would normally tip higher but… not this time. The hotel will charge you ~15% (seemed to vary…) on swapping US dollars for Paso’s so if you can bring lots of 20’s & 50’s you’ll be ahead of the game here; it’s all plastic indestructible bills anyway (handy for swimming with bar tips). Bring your own thermal cup to keep your ice & trips to the bar to the max/min formula and pool water out of your cup when the occasional ball or kid lands next to it. Be careful the pool bar tenders like to really poor heavy on the liquor so be visual with hand gestures on volume otherwise you won’t make dinner . In total 4 hotels all connected all walkable pathways, Lindo ranked #2, Myan is top right next door and you can go there and use pools, bar and food although the staff at Lindo don’t really point this out.

The Bad; Buffets... everywhere, everything deep-fired and coated with sauce if your used to this kind of thing then you should be okay if not then your diet will be tomatoes & cucumbers. The Bars all of them only make mixed drinks with syrup, after being in a Riu palace or Royal line Hotel which use as much real fruit as you like well... looks like you drinking beer here. Only place to get well mixed drinks is in the piano bar by the lobby or over at the Myan (Highly recommend going to the main bar here or the hidden one around the corner that nobody uses called Melodies)

The Ugly; I personally have a solid stomach for the Mexican food flu as I have spent many weeks in this country over the years ... not this time, 3 days in I went on Cipro for the remainder of the trip (always have a supply just in case!). I met over 6 other couples with the story of having to stay in their room due to being sick and having the runs. Ugly Air conditioning! They program your room to have the coldest setting of 21 deg C (doesn't sound too bad right?) well the rooms power off when you leave or sleep! So no air, no charge of your phone or computer unless you move inside your room every 15 minutes otherwise sensors shut down the power... I can go without air during the day as I am out but at night? Hard to sleep when you’re sweating!
Finally the internet… only really important for those of us that need to check in once in a while to keep our jobs in the real world well this place will charge you every 15 minutes or 24 hour period for $15 US ... not a bad deal right? However... only works in the lobby! No desks only flat tables and lots of noise so my suggestion is to walk next door to the Myan (3 minutes timed walk) and connect for free in the air conditioned main bar with tables and cold card rooms that nobody uses with desks. It’s too bad none of the staff don't want anybody NOT staying at the Myan to know this!!! I found it after 9 days @$15 3 of which were so slow that my VPN client would not connect and no refund for this problem :)
Suggestion: Book ALL your dinners into the AL-la cart restaurants as soon as you get there to get the early seating’s so your food is fresh and the salad bar is clean from being destroyed by unmanageable kids. My vote for the restaurants in order are #1 Japanese (one in Lindo, one in Myan ($20 charge) but worth the bucks) #2, Italian. Any of the others except the French are better than ANY of the buffets so they all rank #3 for me. We got stuck on the buffet dinner day 1 as we arrived late and hungry after which I waited with the concierge to book every remaining dinner I had left for the remainder of the two weeks into all the restaurants which saved my holiday. You can change your booking later say if you found the French was not good you can switch for a later time so book all of it first day!

Forget the Gym, they have one central to all four resorts and filled with staff most of the time. You'll be glad there are so many places to walk as the grounds are massive and well lit for night walking so bring the right shoes if you plan on walking. All pathways are stamped concrete, very clean and well kept.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dad3o
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My 17 yr old daughter and I stayed from April 10-17th. Our vacation started effortlessly with easy check-in and our room being available at 11:30am instead of the 3:00pm we were expecting. Our room was clean and bathroom very nice with a deep soaking tub perfect for relaxing baths. Our first lunch we met Bryan a Starfreind and he made us feel very welcome and explained to us about all of the day and evening entertainment. The grounds here are beautifully kept, garbage is never seen, It's a very large property with 5 hotels so make sure you take the little train and visit other resorts to see different wild animals including monkeys, flamingos, turtles, peacocks etc, Each building has their own concierge, very convenient. Our first night we perused the multitude of menus for the ala carte restaurants and made all of our reservations within 15min for the whole week. Remember the beach dinner party is Tuesday or Wednesday make sure to ask you don't want to miss that. The pools are extraordinary....wave pool for young children, sport pool, two small hidden private pools located outside buildings courtyard and surrounded by foilage, great for people who are shy or self concious. We went a couple of times no one else there but our server still found us to ask us or drinks....amazing. We did not have a hard time finding beach or pool chairs at any of the larger pools but waited until around 11:00am to go, by this time most of the early birds were gone and I found 6 hours in the sun was enough although we always had a palapa to shade ourselves if wanted. The pools were pretty warm and the sea was also warm, clean and lots of perfect waves for kids and adults to frolic. Some vendors walking the beach but never intrusive or aggressive. The buffets are just that, plenty of variety but the breakfast is better than lunch. Don't miss out on the guacomole and homemade salsa...addicting lol. Ala cartes, the steahouse was pretty good, mexican very good, gourmet was not not my favorite, Japanese was by far the best we were given sushi which I found to be fresh and very tasty and the table side show fun. We ordered from the 24hr room service, the menu could be improved but it arrives fast and with a smile. The entertainment that is offered nightly at 9:30 may not be what everyone likes but my 17 yrold was amused and I found myself having a good time as well. As for nightife I heard the Maya lobby bar was the place to be. We took a shuttle from hotel to downtown Playa Del Carmen $5.00 per person each way and well worth it, had fun and great place to buy souveniers. The spa is something everyone should experience it is absolutely beautiful, indoor pool water temp like a bath....several whirlpool baths, steam, sauna etc, we had double massage and although a little exspensive it was definitely worth it the girls are very professional.I have to say that above all of this the service and freindliness of all the staff is absolutely astonishing. You cannot walk by anyone without an hola! the bellhops will give you a ride back to your room or the concierge will call for one to take you to dinner at the other hotels on there golf carts, although they don't expect it I always tipped for this convenience. The beds are a little hard and I have a bad back so upon mentioning this to an employee our beds were fitted with foam mattress toppers. I brought alot of US singles to tip for drinks, dinner etc eventhough it's not required it makes me feel good and the employees are very appreciative. The ATM at the hotel charges a pretty large fee and dispenses US dollars which are excepted in every store at the resort and also in Playa Del Carmen. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions. I really can't understand the last few negative reviews we could'nt have had a more different experience. I reccomend this resort to anyone and can't wait to go back :)

Room Tip: building 51 ask for sun side
11  Thank pinky67_11
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed April10th to 24th , Excellent staff , Martin on reception could not do enough to help us when we checked in , he even made sure we had the room we had requested in block 53 a corner room on the first floor with a wrap around balcony which got the sun all day , when I returned to reception over a week later he remembered my name . Marco the breakfast waiter in the pool side brealfast/italian restaurant was great and made sure my sons 13th birthday was a surprise for him , Myrah the pool waitress serving drinks was great and worked very hard all day , Vietney the masseure around the pool was great and our top star freind was Gerardo .
To get free wireless internet go to the mayan lobby also we thought better drinks than in the lindo lobby bar .
We have stayed at Iberostars in the Dominican Republic and the Tucan in Mexico plus Dreams , Grand Sirenis and Moon Palace in Mayan Riviera . We felt for our family group 2 families with 3 teenagers 2x 13 1x14 this resort struck a good balance , very clean hotel with great grounds , lots of entertainment , nice walks along the beach , good drinks , acceptable food but i no way was the food on par with Dreams Riviera Cancun .However we believe to keep everyone happy with a large spread of ages this resort ticks most of the boxes . Two disappointment s were the lack of good snorkelling off the hotel beach and the quality of the wine , we did find a white called Marbella which was acceptable but not great ,most of the others were terrible unless you wish to pay extra !!!

6  Thank Simon F
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This was our third stay at the All-inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen area; previously we stayed at Iberostar Tucan in 2003 and in Riu Palace in 2005. Additionally we also stayed at Grand Palladium in Dominican Republic in 2008. So, we had some points of reference. We are a relatively young professionals with a 6 year old child. We stayed at the resort between April 24 and April 29.

Overall impressions: This is the best resort out of four that we have been at so far. Even when compared to Riu Palace, which is one of the flagship resorts of the Riu chain, Iberostar had them beaten (with the possible exception of food... more on that later). During our stay, the majority of guests were from Spain; a significant slice were from Canada, then, a smaller slice, from United States, then (an even smaller slice) from UK, and the rest from France, Germany, Mexico, Chile, etc.

Transfer from the airport: Avoid those huge buses that stop at every resort on the way to yours. We went with USA Transfers, $80 for roundtrip - personal car with a driver, a great deal.
Check-in: Easy. Was offered a choice of rooms in buildings 52/53, which is closer to the center of the resort, and building 51, which is closest to the beach. We chose building 51. As many have already mentioned, the resort is huge, so unless you want to wait for the shuttle to move around, be prepared to walk. If your room is in building 51, you are closest to the beach, and the poolside buffet is right next door, but the main buffet/lobby/theater is about 6-7 minutes of brisk walking. If you are in buildings 52/53, you are sort of in the middle, closest to the wave pool; and if you are in building 54, you are right next to the theater and the buffet (something to keep in mind because the shows in the theater last till about 11 PM, so if you want to go to bed before that time... well, you better be a very sound sleeper.

The room: We had a nice garden view room on the second floor. The décor in the room was nothing special, typical for an all-inclusive resort. The bathroom was nice and well-appointed. We did not feel any musty smell in our room, as it was the case in Iberostar Tucan and Riu. Overall, room had little importance to us considering how little time you spend in it during your stay.

The pool: Giant. Enormous. The best pool I have seen anywhere. It consists of several sections: the closest to the lobby/main buffet area is the lazy river. Our daughter loved it; for adults, it is something that you will do once or perhaps, twice. It is only waist-deep (for an adult). However, the concept is very nice – slowly floating through the lush gardens surrounding the river, under the occasional bridges and waterfalls. Another section is the wave pool – which is where our daughter spent most of her pool time. She never got tired of it. The waves are not strong enough to sweep you off your feet, but they are a constant source of joy for the little ones. On the other side of the wave pool is the main pool – which itself consists of two large sections connected with a swimmable canal. Once again, the pool will not leave you disappointed. Ah yes, there is also a separate “activity pool” for water polo and such.

The food: We found that the main buffet offers larger selection than the poolside buffet, especially for breakfasts; for example, freshly squeezed juices are only offered at the main buffet. For dinners, the main buffet has a “theme” every evening – such as Spanish cuisine, Mexican cuisine, Italian, etc. We really liked grilled vegetables; Peking duck that they had on Wednesday was awesome – soft and juicy, not overcooked at all. At the same time, when we went to Mediterranean Seafood restaurant, we found that their grilled tuna was overcooked (really, tuna steaks should be mostly red on the inside). The desserts were fantastic – great variety, fresh, great-tasting, etc. When all is said and done, I would put food on par or slightly below Riu Palace (after all, Riu Palace buffet had some gourmet items such as smoked salmon, beef carpaccio, etc.)

Service and Entertainment: This is one area where Iberostar really stepped up their game. We never felt that “pampered” in any other all-inclusive hotel so far. I understand that we went on the “slow” week, the week that follows Spring Break in United States (the hotel was only about half-full; it was never a problem getting a chair at any time of a day, getting a reservation at a restaurant was easy, and, overall, the staff had less people to divide their attention in between) – but still, the service was quick and efficient. Star Friends are warm and engaging – some of them sit down and talk to you during the breakfast or by the pool – nothing pushy, just a friendly chit-chat. I was surprised that several of them actually remembered my and my daughter's name – considering the number of people they have to talk to on a daily basis, that's a great attention to detail.

Would we go back? Absolutely. Paraiso Maya resort seems to have nicer rooms with hammocks on each balcony, and also (apparently) the free Wi-Fi, so perhaps we will try Maya next time.

12  Thank LevV
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!