“Incredible vacation with 10-month old baby”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Incredible vacation with 10-month old baby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2011

Overall, my husband and I would come back in a heartbeat. Everything was perfect and met or exceeded our expectations. It seems like a very well-managed resort where the employees are genuinely happy to be there, friendly, and professional.

Lobby/Grounds: Beautiful. The entire resort is a lush garden – perfect for a nature-loving person like me. The resort is huge, which may be a drawback for some (something to keep in mind – it probably takes 15 min to walk from the lobby to the beach, but there are shuttle ‘trains’ that run every 10-15 min or so), but for us it was perfect as we are walkers and loved taking the time to explore different parts of the resort. There are also plenty of animals and birds to see.

Rooms: Very clean, spacious, and well-maintained. We were on the ground floor in building #40, which was closer to the restaurants / lobby and perfect for travelling with a baby/stroller as there are no elevators (each hotel block has 3 floors). Our room was cleaned every day and nothing ever went missing. We received fresh towels daily and asked for extra water bottles which were always left for us. We always used the bottled water for drinking, brushing our teeth, and for making up our son’s bottles. The fridge was perfect for keeping baby bottles/food, and we had a double bed room which allowed us to have a bathtub for bathing our son (King rooms only have showers). The beds are firm, but we were ok with that. You can hear noises through the door into the hallway, but we never heard anything through the walls to the neighbouring rooms. We could hear the entertainment music at night from the Lindo but it was never loud enough to wake our son and was always over by 11pm.

Restaurants / Food: While it wasn’t 5-star, it was definitely good quality with a lot of variety and healthy options. There were always highchairs available at the restaurants we went to, though some didn’t have trays. We always tried to get to the restaurants soon after they opened for each meal as it was a bit quieter and we knew we could get good seating and highchairs. The wait staff were always polite, attentive, and seemed very hard working (they mostly work 12-hr days in split shifts, 6 days a week!). The Japanese restaurant was fun, and the Mexican and Brazilian/Steakhouse had fantastic meat. The pool/beach buffets were great places for lunch, and we never had trouble getting whole avocados / bananas from the kitchen staff for our son. We also gave him peeled pears and peaches, but stuck to the baby food we brought for the rest of his food.

Pools / Beach: Fantastic!!!!! The sand was amazing, there were plenty of chairs on the beach, and it would easily take 10min to walk around the 3 huge pools. We especially loved the cabanas around the pools because they were fully shaded so we could spend the whole day there with our son. Excellent swim-up bars too!

Entertainment: We didn’t go to any of the shows because our son was asleep by 8:30pm at the latest (and we were exhausted as he wakes for the day around 6am), but the shopping centre has live music (including a Mariachi band 3+ times a week) in the early evening as well as a carousel for children to ride on which is a lot of fun. There is also a crepe restaurant (yummy!!) as well as many shops / nightclubs / the spa / computer-internet services and a pretty courtyard. It’s too bad it isn’t busier though!

We know some people felt that this resort wasn’t ‘posh’ enough for them, but had they done the proper research beforehand they could have chosen somewhere else to meet their needs.

We will definitely be going back for our next all-inclusive vacation!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

A bit of a background about us. We've been to Mexico quite a few times and mostly to Puerto Vallarta. We've stayed at a variety of places and this hotel met and exceeded some of our expectations. As previously mentioned in many reviews, the grounds, pools, animals, beach, and staff were all wonderful. We thought that the shuttle van to Playa del Carmen for 40 pesos/pp each way is a very nice convenience and very much appreciated. The hotel is large but once you get used to it, it doesn't seem that big. What's a 5-10 min walk? When it comes to the buffet food...first let me say that we are not fancy, shmancy, fussy eaters. We like simple, good food...so there was always something in the buffet for us...there was even occasionally caviar and huge prawns, which we never expected. Our favorite al a carte was the Mediterrnean...stake and lobster...wow...very good! We even enjoyed the house red wine...again not an expert on wine...but better than we've had at other places!! Generally speaking the hotel is very nice and comfortable...with no worries...except, " What are we going to do today? "

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lloyd-Deb
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We had a really good time at this resort. There were a few problems with our room and they were corrected immediately. Staff was good. Very tropical grounds and setting.

We were there for New Year's and the food was amazing. If you go to the Italian A La Carte, have the lamb! It was awesome, but the pasta was very bland. All other food was quite good.

There are 4 hotels connected together and sometimes there was confusion with our bracelets. Kind of a silly system that they have in place, but just a few minor hiccups.

The walls in the hotel are paper thin.

Great golf course, excellent staff over there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

Our family of 6 (four children aged 9 - 14) travel to Mexico every year and I have been to the Mayan Riviera 9 times - this was the worst hotel I have stayed in.

The room we received the first night was infested with tiny ants in the bathroom.
I immediately asked to be moved as the ants were all over our items on the counter. I was told by hotel staff that there were absolutely no rooms available (hard to believe).
I contacted the Air transat Rep the next morning and he also said there were no rooms except if I moved to the more espensive Lindo hotel for $600.00 - surprise there were rooms only available if I paid more money. I paid and we moved. I am glad we moved also because Air Transat leads you to believe you can use the lazy river and wave pool for the kids at the Lindo pool but we were told that we are not allowed in that area at all unless you are staying at the Lindo, extremely tricky marketing.

The food is definetly not 5 star as far as Mexico standards go, more like 3.

The service especially at the breakfast buffet was non-existent. I got my own coffee 5
mornings out of 7. The only staff that was friendly were the maids and activity crew.

The beach was the best part of the facility.

I thought it would be a great place for my 13 and 14 year olds but we checked the teen club 5 days in a row and not a soul was to be found anywhere near it the entire time we were there. The shopping mall facility on site is deserted because the prices are hilarious - $34.00 for sunscreen which costs $10.00 in Canada.

The resort itself is gorgeous and ornate - that must be what they spent all their money on though because the rooms were the smallest I have ever stayed in.

We were to stay at this facility for 14 days but I spent the first 5 days of my vacation dealing with Air Transat to get us moved to another resort. In fact we chose a cheaper resort which we had already been to twice before because I knew the food, service and facilities were so much better than the Iberostar, but we had to pay the Mexican company of Air Transat more money for the 2 rooms there.

Not impressed with Air Transat or Iberostar Resorts.

We spent the last 7 days of our resort at the Barcelo Maya Colonial and it was wonderful - as what we are used to in Mexico. We will be sticking with the Barcelos and RIU resorts when we travel next year. This was the first time we have had any problems in all our years of traveling.

6 Thank cchebs
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

I have booked trip to Iberostar Paraiso Beach thinking, after reading all great reviews on Trip Advisor, that it will be another awsome vacation.
We have arrived around 7pm, rooms were ready but to my initial surprise not side by side, in different buildings. I did not have king size bed, but two separated beds,though I have made all requests clear when I was booking trip in Toronto.
Both our bathrooms were not clean, clearly just "wiped" as bathtubs were still wearing signs of dirt and sinks have had hair and pieces of dirt all over them..Mirrors were smudgy and both rooms looked very tired and definitely not feeling fresh or clean. To my further surprise in both bathrooms shower heads were not working properly as we could not switch water from faucet to shower head.
I was not upset. I have thought that I will deal with these problems after dinner. When we went into dinning room- buffet, there barely was any food. Dishes were mostly empty, with little left overs, very little and very blunt selection available at around 8 pm. My visitors from Europe were stunned. One of them is travel agent and immediately commented that this is definitely not a 5 star property.
I went to reception and tried to resolve our problems. Very polite and friendly staff informed me, that hotel is booked and they can move us to "better" rooms after 2 nights. I was told to come back in the morning to talk to someone in charge.
Next morning I was informed, that we can upgrade to Iberostar Lindo, which was also booked, or Iberostar Maya for additional $ 90 per room per night.
Because 3 of us needed internet connection to do our work ( yes, some of us have to work on vacation) and we could not even connect to Paraiso's internet, I had to literally walk around reception area trying to catch a signal ( we had 3 different PC's and Ipad with us) we felt that we were given no other option but to move. I requested an appointment with management of the hotel, but I was flatly denied access, management was not available at this point. I left message, insisting on someone in charge to contact me in Paraiso Maya, where we have moved that morning. During this transaction we have discovered that although we have booked Paraiso Beach, our rooms were in Paraiso Del Mar, which was at the time of my booking selling for less money...
To make this story shorter, 3 days later I was contacted by representative from Paraiso Beach with explanation that no one had told her about our issues and that is why they could not help us! ( Lack of communication?) Cleanliness, or lack of it, was explained as being short-staffed for holidays ( I guess holidays came as surprise ..). Lack of selection on the buffet at 8 pm was because it was late.. As for the fact that we were placed at different property, I was told, that these hotels are twins and there is no difference in services or accommodations and management can put you in one or the other as Canadian travel agencies are the ones distinguishing them in price( but that is apparently not Iberostars fault). (Means, do not loose time, researching two properties..).I must say, that I have truly liked the lady that came to talk to me. She was very polite and well mannered. But her reasoning was off and made me feel more disappointed with my selection of the hotel. We have paid top dollars for this trip as we have booked well in advance trying to co-ordinate between Canadian travelers and European group.
At the end I was given 25% off my extra payment.
My final comment is: how can this be that four 5 star hotels are differing in prices if they are all on the same level? I have traveled extensively throughout European side, Africa and Caribbean and I can easily distinguish 4 star hotel from 5 star.
Iberostar Tucan, Quetzal in Riviera Maya is 4 star hotel, that is much better in service, cleanliness and food department than Paraiso Beach - Del Mar.
Iberostar Bavaro in Dominican Republic is another better resort than Paraiso Beach.
At the end, we have had a great weather, Paraiso Maya is a beautiful hotel but for much more money than we have planned to spend...

Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

Great resort no doubt about it.

Tones of bars and food areas.

A lot of activities on the resort.

Great pool and beach.

Cannot go wrong.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

I traveled to Cancun with my family of four, and it was a wonderful experience!! Our room had a great view of everything and it was so tropical and welcoming! Just by walking into the lobby, I could tell how wonderful it was going to be, for it made a tropical, beautiful and relaxed impression on me! When you go for a walk outside, it would be advisable to bring a camera, for there are parrots, swans, peacocks etc. all over the place!!
I remember sitting out on the balcony as the sky grew dark, reading a book and watching the sunset, hearing bird calls and feeling the warmth of Mexico.
The restaurant was equally as beautiful, it was very open and warm, you could look outside while you ate breakfast and enjoy the view!!! The pool was beatiful, just like the beach!!
The room was always clean and the towels were adorably folded into animals!! Except for the poor sleep quality, I really can't complain about anything at this wonderful resort!!!
I can't wait for the next time I visit, for it was an amazing experience for me and my family!!
Believe me, you won't be dissappointed!!!

• Stayed April 2010
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#96 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 9,045 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,559 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!