“A Good Deal For The Money!”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Tennessee
“A Good Deal For The Money!”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

When I am planning a trip a do a LOT of research. I put a lot of stock in what I read (of course you have to chuck the reviews that are "way out there" in either direction). So...when I started researching the IBEROSTAR PARAISO BEACH I was a bit concerned because there were a fair number of negative comments. I wanted to address some of the negative statements while the trip is fresh in my mind.

There were sporadic comments about poor service. Yes, some people had to wait for their rooms and some did not get exactly what they wanted when they wanted it but I must say that I felt the service was usually quite good. I found the staff friendly, helpful, and anxious to please for the most part. Since I went during Spring Break the resort was just about full yet the service was still quite good!

There were a lot of negatives about the food. OK, if you are interested in gourmet food, fancy restaurants, unusual dishes, etc., this is NOT the place for you! The food is good but NOT "top notch." But you are NOT paying "top dollar" either!

We ate breakfast daily at the lobby restaurant at the Paraiso beach (La Plaza). There was always a good selection of fresh fruit, vegetables, meats, breads, pastries. Plenty of hot dishes. Omlettes and eggs made to order, great bacon, etc. MORE than enough of variety and quantity for me!

Lunch was usually at the beach buffet. Nothing special but certainly edible. Since I had had a large breakfast I usually did a light lunch. Good selection. There was a grill right on the beach for burgers, fries, hot dogs, ice cream. Fine for me!

We did dinner at the Brazilian, Italian, and Japanese restaurants and I would recommend all three. When you go to the Brazilian don't fill up on the buffet as we did. They cook skewars of beef, chicken, lamb, etc and they are actually the main course.

Regarding the restaurants: MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS THE MINUTE YOU HAVE FINISHED CHECKING IN WITH THE CONCIERGE. The restaurants fill up quickly.

Overall, the food was fine with me but, like I said, I didn't go there for the cuisine. So unless food is your life, I would not worry about it.

Drinks were weak but I am not a big drinker. Just order doubles.

There are plenty of beach and pool lounges BUT...YOU MUST GET OUT VERY EARLY IF YOU WANT TO GET "A GOOD SEAT." I think that this would be my only complaint. I swear, people left their towels on the pool lounges overnight just to keep a spot. I think that's crazy! I'm an early riser and so I was out of the room by 6:30 AM daily. My first stop was the beach where I easily got a choice spot under one of the shaded thatched "umbrella things." There were a few days where if you came to the beach after 10 AM there were NO available lounges but, again, this was Spring Break and the resort was full. I turned in my towels every day but I believe many kept their towels so they would have something to put out on the lounges in the early AM (the towel shack does not open until 8 AM). I brought a large beach towel from home and used that to "reserve" my spot each day along with a few old shoes, book, water bottle, etc.

There is a lot of walking so have comfortable shoes.
There are rocks in the water and the surf can be quite strong so be warned. There are "pathways" that you can find between the rocks to get out to the sandbar.

The grounds are gorgeous and incredibly well kept. Manicured in fact. I really enjoyed just walking around the resort since it was so pretty. There are peacocks, parrots, and these weird little guys that kind of look like a cross between anteaters and racoons.

We did NOT make any of the shows. We were just too tired after dinner so I cannot comment upon the entertainment.

Although I preferred the beach the pool is huge (goes on forever!) and very nice.

I brought about $200 in one-dollar bills. As many others have said, the locals work very hard and DESERVE to be tipped. I left two dollars for each buffet meal for breakfast and lunch, $5 for the dinner buffets, and $10 for each of the three restaurants meals we had. I tipped $1 about every other drink and left $3/day for our maid. Our room was kept very well (don't know if that was because we tipped) and our frig was kept well stocked with water, soda, beer.

It took 45 min to get from the airport to the resort (we had to make two stops ahead of us) and about 30 minutes to back to the airport on the way home. We used LOMAS for our transfers and I would highly recommend them.

All in all this was a good trip and well worth the money. It is NOT a high end, luxury-fine dining resort but it is a lot of fun for a family trip. If you have teenagers it would be good to get 3-4 families together to make the trip. I saw that many went this route so the kids had lots of friends to be with (as did the adults). All five of us felt we would go back again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank avi8tor50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Rockville MD
Reviewed April 7, 2010

i took my teenaged daughter and her friend to Paraiso Beach. They are both 17 and both expected to drink and enjoy the nightlife.....WRONG! this resort CARDS and is very strict about the alcohol policy as we found out. The girls were miserable at night because their guy friends (staying at the Paraiso Maya) were all 18 (or were able to obtain the wristbands that said they were) and so couldn't hang out with them at the club....yes, there is an underage club, but apparently filled with the 12-15 crowd. My daughter and friend ended up sneaking in, but got thrown out a time or 2....

That being explained, i will now tell you what I thought about everything. Other travelers comments have been rather negative about the food. IT'S NOT AS BAD AS MANY HAVE MENTIONED. i would say it's not a gourmand's treat, but it isn't slop. You won't get sick from it and there's always something you can find to eat. One of the aforementioned teens is a REALLY picky eater and she didn't complain about the food that much....The "reservation" component of the restaurants is kinda stupid, but you may try what we did. We ate late and went to the restaurant we wanted to dine at and waited till all the reservations came and then asked if they had room. We weren't turned down.

The drinks are weak and i'm not a drinker. They will add more liquor if you request it or you can do what my friend did......as for the liquor straight with a shot of juice!

The beach is lovely. it was very crowded when we went and we couldn't get chairs when we went (10ish) in the morning so we adjusted and went later to the beach....around 1-2 pm you can start finding chairs and shade. Since we ate late we could stay on the beach until the sun went down around 6....that's enough sun for me!

The rooms are clean and the housekeeper was very happy to get everything we asked for---pillows, blankets, water, etc--and i tipped her generously. There is not a lot of storage to unpack to, esp. since there was 4 of us in the room. Bring wire hangers and pack lightly. You really don't need to get dressed up here although the men need long pants in the restaurants. The air conditioning was awesome in the room AND there's a ceiling fan, too. The shower was strong enough (i was on the first floor) and the bathroom was clean and newish. The blow dryer is fine and you DON'T WANT to plug yours in.....trust me. We blew the light fuses 2 times!

The grounds are very, very well taken care of and even though you have to walk A LOT, it's all level and for someone who is a basic couch potato in ok shape, it was fine.

i got a massage at the Spa. It was well priced for a resort and i thought it was an EXCELLENT massage (and i'm a massage lover).....

It was a very enjoyable trip for the most part and if i had a recommendation, it would be to try to stay at the Lindo; a step up from the Beach and Del Mar.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We were at the Paraiso Beach from March 23 to April 1. It was a surprise Birthday celebration for my husband. His mom, children & grandkids suprised him by coming down on March 25. The manager at the front desk (Angelica) helped with the suprise by making sure they all were checked into rooms close to ours. Many thanks to her. We had a great time, the weather was perfect. The pool was beautfiful, the water temperature was just great. I was worried that it would be cold. The sea was just as nice. Some days fun waves, never too big. The place was jumping, lots of guests, had to get to the beach by 6:30-7:00am to get lounge chairs with shade. There were days when you could not even find an empty chair - midday. The food was ok, plenty of it, and you could always find something. I did not see anyone go hungry, us included !!! The drinks were good, you can always ask for a double of liquor if they are too weak for your taste, we did at times !. The kids (ages 6 & 11) loved Lucy's Mini Club. The shows were very entertaining. The performers work very hard and are talented, they deserve some attention during the shows, some very rude people talking loudly. The staff works very hard and are very accommodating. Tipping is very appreciated, but not expected, I just dont understand why some dont tip. Lots of walking, but lots of shuttles and golf carts for rides too. We had nice cool evenings, a little buggy at sundown on the warmer days, so bring some repellent in case. Good massage on the beach. A great fun resort, with a great staff, you cant go wrong. I would find it very hard not to have a good time here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
caralocks
Reviewed April 5, 2010

first it is too big, everything is a long walk, we got blisters
the restaurants where booked every night so we where unable to get in we had to eat buffet and the food was horrible and not to mention the bird poop on the tables and chairs cause there are no closed walls in the buffet area,
You could not finde a lounge chair any where not near the pools or the beach.
our room smelled like sewer, I tried to get a flight home the second day I was there, my husband really wanted to go home so I went to the front desk and got upgraded to the grand,,, my husband was starting to loose weight.....

Alberta
Reviewed March 30, 2010

My wife and I just returned from our third trip in the past seven years to Iberostar Paraíso Beach and this time we stayed for two weeks. Having been in the service industry for over twenty-five years, I recognize great service when I encounter it and the Beach is service at its finest. And as my wife said, "This never gets old."
Some observations. Shower floor is very slippery and the grab bar is useless so we placed a plastic chair from the patio in the shower. Better safe than sorry. No hair conditioner – but very soft water. We took along some travel samples. The Mexicans seemingly have a block about face cloths. Despite repeated requests, none appeared until one evening, housekeeping came with the facecloths and small bottle of tequila as an apology. Very sweet. And their towel art is very imaginative. Interestingly most of the house keeping staff we saw was male. Ensure you have biodegradable sun shield or tanning lotion if you want to do water sports or the staff will NOT allow you to put your sunshield on to go into the water. A la carte bookings – go at 4:00 or later to the a la carte reservation desk the day you want to book for that evening. The latter the better. Look for Hoda. Drinks at the swim up bar are weakest and drinks at beach bar are the best. Star Friends - the hardest working kids in show business. Went to the Vegas, Hollywood, and Mexican shows. Loved the Mexican show. Stick around after the show – the impromptu dance is a treat. USA Today (Caribbean edition) is available at the HotelShops in the Lindo and the Maya. The lady in the Maya will hold a copy for you. Sunrise is spectacular. Get there about 5:45. Quiet area around waterfall with swim up bar. Jacuzzi in the pool inside the columns. Vendors outside La Plaza and El Mercado come every second night and feature jewelry, dresses, hats, soccer shirts, paintings. There is a young fellow at the first booth at La Plaza who is very good and the fellow doing the paintings on the tile is great. Vendors on the beach – jewelry, hats, blankets, dresses, cigars, sunglasses – lots of fun bartering with them and offer the beach fellows some food and a drink. We stayed in Building 30 so we went to El Puerto for breakfast and lunch. The chef will do fresh eggs for you. Shuttle to Playa del Carmen departs from the shopping plaza at 9, 11, 2, and 5 and returns at 1, 2, 3, 6, and 8. $4 person one-way. Mini bar is well stocked with bottled water and beer. Always kept bottled water by the bathroom sink for tooth brushing. The pool was actually quite warm and huge. The FREE in room safe is great for passports, jewelry, and money. There is a trolley that regularly goes up and down the main walkway. There is a little used but well equipped gym in Building 19, just off the entrance to the Beach. As a general comment, I would say the a la cartes are overrated – perhaps a little better service and in some cases better wine but we found the buffet much better. Mahi-Mahi fish and lamb. The buffet has theme nights - Mexican (better than the Mexican a la carte and complete with Mexican coffee) Italian, Cajun, and Brazilian. Buffet has a pasta station – there are about twelve ingredients and three sauces from which you can select and the chef will then mix your concoction over an open flame, mix in your pasta of choice and now you have a plate of steaming hot pasta. Also there is a clown making balloon animals for the kids and musicians who asked me what kind of music I liked, I replied “Sinatra” and they did a lovely Spanish version of “My Way”. There are cigar rollers in the Del Mar, the Lindo, and the shopping plaza – great fresh smokes at a reasonable price, makes for excellent gifts. Beach grill has excellent hamburgers, hot dogs, and tacos. And room service is pretty efficient. One evening we just sat on the patio, had some pizza, chicken salad and beer. Nice. Took some playing cards for gin rummy and cribbage. Shopping plaza – I do not know how these shops stay in business – no customers. I go to the jewelry shop, which is the first on your right as you enter the plaza. Beautiful jewelry with genuine Mexican gems – very reasonable and unique. Bring some bug spray and there are umbrellas at the front desk. People annoyingly and selfishly leave their towels draped on the beach chairs from early morning to late afternoon, most never returning. I must confess we resorted to this tactic – first drape towels, then breakfast, then a brisk stroll along the boardwalk and then the day at the beach. I noticed some people on TripAdvisor suggesting you walk to the resort entrance and catch the local (cheap) bus to Playa del Carmen. They fail to mention you must cross four lanes of incredibly busy traffic – take the shuttle instead. Also, I strongly recommend you take along some type of probiotic to adjust your system.
A la carte - Japanese is great for socializing (went twice, chat with your neighbor – we met a family from Paris, three hockey loving fellows from Montreal and two flight attendants from Frankfurt) but if you have see one Japanese grill show, you will find this one pretty predictable plus food is surprisingly dry. Steakhouse – being from Alberta, I know beef so I was pleasantly surprised at the tenderloin. It seems that medium well means medium and well-done means medium well. Italian – went three times. Try to get Alberto or Marvin. The shrimp and veal are great. Order an entrée each and a side pasta dish to share. There are two wine selections – the wine that is served in the buffet and a Spanish Cab, ask for the Spanish Cab. Ask the server to leave the wine bottle on your table. Chuckled when I got the exact same ravioli entrée as I had at the buffet the night before. Brazilian – great appetizers at the buffet but the entrees are for meat lovers only. Fist sized chunks of meat (two types of beef, chicken, veal, two types of sausages) individually slow roasted on skewers, which the server then brings to your table and slices off some meat. You can request well done or whatever. Mediterranean – okay. Someone is always cleaning whether it is a door glass, a grill, or the floor. Observed with interest as the Iberostar food inspector took the temperatures of the sauces. There is a real and obvious concern for both food hygienics and cleanliness. Watch the bartender at the Steakhouse preparing drinks and he used tongs to put the lime slices on the glass edge of the beer. If he dropped a slice, he discarded it and got another. And the bartender at the Beach bar used tongs to put straws in the drinks. Booked the Tulum half day with Eduardo at Iberoservice. $38 per person. Fully guaranteed. Pickup was fine as the van took us from the resort to a junction on the highway where we boarded a large bus. The tour was fantastic – Pepe was our guide. A beautiful day. But on the way back, the bus now stopped at several resorts to drop people off. I can tell you as we went down these goat paths, over speed bumps and through pot holes to these “resorts”, Iberostar was looking better and better. One resort even had a single lane road from the main highway to the resort (quite a distance). For passing, the road had these half-assed little turnoffs. Imagine building a multi-million resort with a one-lane road. Also left something on the bus, told Eduardo and the item was at the front desk the next morning at 9:00. We traveled WestJet Vacations from Edmonton. Flight there was great, a Best Day fellow met us as we exited the airport, took our bags and we were at the resort 30 minutes later. Perhaps $20 at check in will get you an upgrade. However the return flight was a nightmare – delayed one hour, boarded and then we sat in the plane on the tarmac for THREE AND A HALF HOURS as they fooled around with the air conditioning unit, we were continually misled by the captain at to the delay and departure time, finally departed with only one air conditioning unit working (why the captain did not do this right away is a mystery) but had to fly at a lower altitude and slower speed and consequently had to land in Calgary for refueling where they again fooled around with the malfunctioning air-conditioning unit for another hour (God only knows why) and then finally onto Edmonton, arriving at 4:30 AM THE NEXT DAY. Once and finally in flight, the flight attendants had the audacity to charge all of us full cost for their overpriced, plain sandwiches instead of offering us free food as some sort of compensation for the ugly, irresponsible delay. And hey no silly WestJet jokes or antics on the way home. Worst flight of the hundreds business and pleasure I have ever taken. And not a single word of apology from the flight crew. NOT VERY WESTJETIAN!!!
A final word on tipping at the resort. These employees who are always smiling, full of Holas, offer great service, work SIX days a week, long shifts, early morning, late night, split shifts for $165 a MONTH. I always tipped - $1 for breakfast and lunch, $2 for dinner, $1 a drink, and $2 daily for housecleaning. Interestingly at our first Japanese, the chef ends his gig with a little trick of flipping a shrimp tail into his tall chef hat. There was an awkward pause, I then waved $2 (USD) at him, and he tipped his hat towards me so I flipped the bills into his hat. Four other couples immediately followed suit. I can tell you in two weeks, we never encountered a single incidence of poor service or ill will. People – please be nice.
As an aside I use a scooter for mobility.
And finally – Hey, hey Baby, I wanna to know if you’ll be my girl.

5 Thank redhead44Alberta
Quebec City
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went there from March 20 to March 27 with our 2 kids (3 and 6). It was our first vacations in this area. Our comment are exactly the same beaslie just described below.

What an amazing and nice place!

My only "constructive" comment would be about the wines. Since Iberostar is a Spanish company and knowing how good wines are produced from this country, I would have expected some better wines (there were only 5 available wines) with the meals.

For the rest, very happy with everything. Yes you have to walk but it is not that long to cover all the resort. And what a pleasure to take advantage of the place and walk to discover the other Iberostar resorts and make some exercice after good meals !

When you are on vacation, you are there to turn the switch to off. It succeeded in my case.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lincoln, Ne.
Reviewed March 26, 2010

3 star to a 4 on a 5 scale. Prior to booking read several of your reviews. Most were right on. Great staff, good language skills. Beautiful grounds and beach. Meals were OK to good. Drinks were watered, maybe even the beer! No beach service for drinks. Lots of walking, but that should be an asset when walking throughout the complex. When we checked in asked for upgrade and paid a reasonable amount and got a room with an ocean view. Just off the balcony a tree somewhat obstructed the ocean view. I'm not sure the A/C worked, slept with the door open-no screen, got bit by some bugs. Went to Playa-20 cab on a rainy day, would recommend that. Sounds like I'm complaining-absolutely NOT. Great place, will go back with friends next year. Good value and fun.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,840 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!