Iberostar Paraiso Beach
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$277
$240
$848
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
$327
$682
$466
  • Breakfast included
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$408
$222
$347
$305
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
5,522 results
All reviewsparaiso beachspecialty restaurantsstar friendsplaya del carmenjapanese restaurantice creamother resortsmain buffettacoslobby bara la cartesquiet areabuffet foodcrepescloser to the beachtaco shoprecommend this resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2010

first it is too big, everything is a long walk, we got blisters
the restaurants where booked every night so we where unable to get in we had to eat buffet and the food was horrible and not to mention the bird poop on the tables and chairs cause there are no closed walls in the buffet area,
You could not finde a lounge chair any where not near the pools or the beach.
our room smelled like sewer, I tried to get a flight home the second day I was there, my husband really wanted to go home so I went to the front desk and got upgraded to the grand,,, my husband was starting to loose weight.....

Reviewed March 30, 2010

My wife and I just returned from our third trip in the past seven years to Iberostar Paraíso Beach and this time we stayed for two weeks. Having been in the service industry for over twenty-five years, I recognize great service when I encounter it and the Beach is service at its finest. And as my wife said, "This never gets old."
Some observations. Shower floor is very slippery and the grab bar is useless so we placed a plastic chair from the patio in the shower. Better safe than sorry. No hair conditioner – but very soft water. We took along some travel samples. The Mexicans seemingly have a block about face cloths. Despite repeated requests, none appeared until one evening, housekeeping came with the facecloths and small bottle of tequila as an apology. Very sweet. And their towel art is very imaginative. Interestingly most of the house keeping staff we saw was male. Ensure you have biodegradable sun shield or tanning lotion if you want to do water sports or the staff will NOT allow you to put your sunshield on to go into the water. A la carte bookings – go at 4:00 or later to the a la carte reservation desk the day you want to book for that evening. The latter the better. Look for Hoda. Drinks at the swim up bar are weakest and drinks at beach bar are the best. Star Friends - the hardest working kids in show business. Went to the Vegas, Hollywood, and Mexican shows. Loved the Mexican show. Stick around after the show – the impromptu dance is a treat. USA Today (Caribbean edition) is available at the HotelShops in the Lindo and the Maya. The lady in the Maya will hold a copy for you. Sunrise is spectacular. Get there about 5:45. Quiet area around waterfall with swim up bar. Jacuzzi in the pool inside the columns. Vendors outside La Plaza and El Mercado come every second night and feature jewelry, dresses, hats, soccer shirts, paintings. There is a young fellow at the first booth at La Plaza who is very good and the fellow doing the paintings on the tile is great. Vendors on the beach – jewelry, hats, blankets, dresses, cigars, sunglasses – lots of fun bartering with them and offer the beach fellows some food and a drink. We stayed in Building 30 so we went to El Puerto for breakfast and lunch. The chef will do fresh eggs for you. Shuttle to Playa del Carmen departs from the shopping plaza at 9, 11, 2, and 5 and returns at 1, 2, 3, 6, and 8. $4 person one-way. Mini bar is well stocked with bottled water and beer. Always kept bottled water by the bathroom sink for tooth brushing. The pool was actually quite warm and huge. The FREE in room safe is great for passports, jewelry, and money. There is a trolley that regularly goes up and down the main walkway. There is a little used but well equipped gym in Building 19, just off the entrance to the Beach. As a general comment, I would say the a la cartes are overrated – perhaps a little better service and in some cases better wine but we found the buffet much better. Mahi-Mahi fish and lamb. The buffet has theme nights - Mexican (better than the Mexican a la carte and complete with Mexican coffee) Italian, Cajun, and Brazilian. Buffet has a pasta station – there are about twelve ingredients and three sauces from which you can select and the chef will then mix your concoction over an open flame, mix in your pasta of choice and now you have a plate of steaming hot pasta. Also there is a clown making balloon animals for the kids and musicians who asked me what kind of music I liked, I replied “Sinatra” and they did a lovely Spanish version of “My Way”. There are cigar rollers in the Del Mar, the Lindo, and the shopping plaza – great fresh smokes at a reasonable price, makes for excellent gifts. Beach grill has excellent hamburgers, hot dogs, and tacos. And room service is pretty efficient. One evening we just sat on the patio, had some pizza, chicken salad and beer. Nice. Took some playing cards for gin rummy and cribbage. Shopping plaza – I do not know how these shops stay in business – no customers. I go to the jewelry shop, which is the first on your right as you enter the plaza. Beautiful jewelry with genuine Mexican gems – very reasonable and unique. Bring some bug spray and there are umbrellas at the front desk. People annoyingly and selfishly leave their towels draped on the beach chairs from early morning to late afternoon, most never returning. I must confess we resorted to this tactic – first drape towels, then breakfast, then a brisk stroll along the boardwalk and then the day at the beach. I noticed some people on TripAdvisor suggesting you walk to the resort entrance and catch the local (cheap) bus to Playa del Carmen. They fail to mention you must cross four lanes of incredibly busy traffic – take the shuttle instead. Also, I strongly recommend you take along some type of probiotic to adjust your system.
A la carte - Japanese is great for socializing (went twice, chat with your neighbor – we met a family from Paris, three hockey loving fellows from Montreal and two flight attendants from Frankfurt) but if you have see one Japanese grill show, you will find this one pretty predictable plus food is surprisingly dry. Steakhouse – being from Alberta, I know beef so I was pleasantly surprised at the tenderloin. It seems that medium well means medium and well-done means medium well. Italian – went three times. Try to get Alberto or Marvin. The shrimp and veal are great. Order an entrée each and a side pasta dish to share. There are two wine selections – the wine that is served in the buffet and a Spanish Cab, ask for the Spanish Cab. Ask the server to leave the wine bottle on your table. Chuckled when I got the exact same ravioli entrée as I had at the buffet the night before. Brazilian – great appetizers at the buffet but the entrees are for meat lovers only. Fist sized chunks of meat (two types of beef, chicken, veal, two types of sausages) individually slow roasted on skewers, which the server then brings to your table and slices off some meat. You can request well done or whatever. Mediterranean – okay. Someone is always cleaning whether it is a door glass, a grill, or the floor. Observed with interest as the Iberostar food inspector took the temperatures of the sauces. There is a real and obvious concern for both food hygienics and cleanliness. Watch the bartender at the Steakhouse preparing drinks and he used tongs to put the lime slices on the glass edge of the beer. If he dropped a slice, he discarded it and got another. And the bartender at the Beach bar used tongs to put straws in the drinks. Booked the Tulum half day with Eduardo at Iberoservice. $38 per person. Fully guaranteed. Pickup was fine as the van took us from the resort to a junction on the highway where we boarded a large bus. The tour was fantastic – Pepe was our guide. A beautiful day. But on the way back, the bus now stopped at several resorts to drop people off. I can tell you as we went down these goat paths, over speed bumps and through pot holes to these “resorts”, Iberostar was looking better and better. One resort even had a single lane road from the main highway to the resort (quite a distance). For passing, the road had these half-assed little turnoffs. Imagine building a multi-million resort with a one-lane road. Also left something on the bus, told Eduardo and the item was at the front desk the next morning at 9:00. We traveled WestJet Vacations from Edmonton. Flight there was great, a Best Day fellow met us as we exited the airport, took our bags and we were at the resort 30 minutes later. Perhaps $20 at check in will get you an upgrade. However the return flight was a nightmare – delayed one hour, boarded and then we sat in the plane on the tarmac for THREE AND A HALF HOURS as they fooled around with the air conditioning unit, we were continually misled by the captain at to the delay and departure time, finally departed with only one air conditioning unit working (why the captain did not do this right away is a mystery) but had to fly at a lower altitude and slower speed and consequently had to land in Calgary for refueling where they again fooled around with the malfunctioning air-conditioning unit for another hour (God only knows why) and then finally onto Edmonton, arriving at 4:30 AM THE NEXT DAY. Once and finally in flight, the flight attendants had the audacity to charge all of us full cost for their overpriced, plain sandwiches instead of offering us free food as some sort of compensation for the ugly, irresponsible delay. And hey no silly WestJet jokes or antics on the way home. Worst flight of the hundreds business and pleasure I have ever taken. And not a single word of apology from the flight crew. NOT VERY WESTJETIAN!!!
A final word on tipping at the resort. These employees who are always smiling, full of Holas, offer great service, work SIX days a week, long shifts, early morning, late night, split shifts for $165 a MONTH. I always tipped - $1 for breakfast and lunch, $2 for dinner, $1 a drink, and $2 daily for housecleaning. Interestingly at our first Japanese, the chef ends his gig with a little trick of flipping a shrimp tail into his tall chef hat. There was an awkward pause, I then waved $2 (USD) at him, and he tipped his hat towards me so I flipped the bills into his hat. Four other couples immediately followed suit. I can tell you in two weeks, we never encountered a single incidence of poor service or ill will. People – please be nice.
As an aside I use a scooter for mobility.
And finally – Hey, hey Baby, I wanna to know if you’ll be my girl.

5  Thank redhead44Alberta
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went there from March 20 to March 27 with our 2 kids (3 and 6). It was our first vacations in this area. Our comment are exactly the same beaslie just described below.

What an amazing and nice place!

My only "constructive" comment would be about the wines. Since Iberostar is a Spanish company and knowing how good wines are produced from this country, I would have expected some better wines (there were only 5 available wines) with the meals.

For the rest, very happy with everything. Yes you have to walk but it is not that long to cover all the resort. And what a pleasure to take advantage of the place and walk to discover the other Iberostar resorts and make some exercice after good meals !

When you are on vacation, you are there to turn the switch to off. It succeeded in my case.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2010

3 star to a 4 on a 5 scale. Prior to booking read several of your reviews. Most were right on. Great staff, good language skills. Beautiful grounds and beach. Meals were OK to good. Drinks were watered, maybe even the beer! No beach service for drinks. Lots of walking, but that should be an asset when walking throughout the complex. When we checked in asked for upgrade and paid a reasonable amount and got a room with an ocean view. Just off the balcony a tree somewhat obstructed the ocean view. I'm not sure the A/C worked, slept with the door open-no screen, got bit by some bugs. Went to Playa-20 cab on a rainy day, would recommend that. Sounds like I'm complaining-absolutely NOT. Great place, will go back with friends next year. Good value and fun.

Reviewed March 26, 2010

Not a disappointment. We had stayed previously in an Iberostar in Puerto Plata last March, fell in love with the chain and was not disappointed this time.

Yes it is large, but you need the exercise walking after the great meals. We upgraded to building 30 right on the beach. Rooms wern't much bigger but worth every penny if you want to spend your days on the beach.

Some points we picked up off of Tripadvisor before we went:

-get out on the beach early (by 7:00) if you want shade
-you can get good deals from the vendors on the beach
-all staff are very friendly and helpfull
-yes, the Japanese a la cart is the best, followed by the Italian
- we found the Brazilian in the Dominican better
-If you take the day trip to Chichen-itza, unless you are a beer lover don't pay the 20.00 extra for drinks as beer is the only alcoholic drink you get on the bus and in the restaurant
-We were there during the Canadian March break and were worried that it would be packed, it might have been but because it is so big (3 resorts on the property) we never noticed. Never had trouble getting table for 6 in any of the restaurants including the buffett.
-beach is beautiful white sand which is cleaned every morning before guests come down
-pool is huge but freezing cold
-good buys for alcohol in duty free in Cancun airport
- only complaint is trip not long enough, 10 days would have been perfect
-Would absolutely recommend this resort to a friend

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family