“Great all inclusive, we'd stay there again!”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great all inclusive, we'd stay there again!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We just returned from the Paraiso Beach on Oct. 23rd. We had a great time! It's only about a 30 minute drive from the Cancun airport. At check in, we were offered an upgrade at a discounted price. One upgrade offer was to stay at the Lindo and the other was an oceanview room on the beach. Since we arrived early in the morning, our rooms were not ready anyways so before we made our decision, we took a look at both options. We were only there 4 nights so the upgrade to the oceanview room is what we chose (only $50 extra per night). Part of the reason we took the upgrade is our original room was in a building at the closed section of the pool. They are currently doing tile work in one large area of the pool and that is where that room was located. The oceanview room was fantastic!

Specialty Restaurants: We had dinner at the Japanese, Brazilian, Steakhouse and Mexican.
The Japanese was a lot of fun and really good. It's just like a Benihana. The chefs do all the tricks of spinning the knives, tossing the food, etc. We really enjoyed it. The Brazilian was our favorite. They bring skewers of meat to your table. The appetizers/salad bar was the best of the four. The steakhouse was good...but I'm from the Midwest so the steak can't compare. It was a little tough. The Mexican restaurant was our least favorite. The food was just not that good. it's not authentic Mexican.

Two great eateries can be found in the mall on property. The taco place, small but tasty tacos with a selection of meat choices. And the Creperie. Delicious crepes made to order.

The buffet food was pretty good compared to others we've had. No complaints, we know what to expect.

It was often a challenge to get change for tipping so the next time, I will bring with me plenty of small bills.

I wanted to mention one bellman that was terrific. His name is Raul. He was the most polite, friendly and happy employee I've come across. It was a pleasure to talk with him.

The beach was clean and always plenty of chairs available no matter what time we went out there. We would lay by the pool in the morning, maybe participate in the water aerobics, and enjoy the lively music. After lunch, we'd move out to the beach. The breeze felt great and it was quieter and more relaxing. As the sun starts to go down and not as hot, it's perfect after you've been baking in the sun by the pool

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shel091
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guests,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us and Trip Advisor your opinion regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

We truly appreciate that you took the time to share this spectacular comments with us, since it provides us a great motivation to keep offering the same incredible service to all our guests.

It is fulfilling to contribute to delivering paradisiacal and unforgettable vacations; we will share your comments with Raul and our Staff that participated to make you happy during your stay.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit us again since we earnestly look forward to hosting you once more.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I visited with my sister, during the off season. I can understand that the huge pool was half closed for maintenance, plus the buffet restaurant etc. I have some small things to complain about..... there was no instructions on how to key into the security box, and it took 2 days to get it closed! It seems that each hotel has a diff. way to secure the box.The remote control did not work, and the sliding doors were not cleaned upon arrival and were not ever wiped down.I know many do not use face clothes , but daily I would walk from the beach to ask the chambermaid for two.The buffet at night was terrible, but the speciality restaurants were tasty. Lol take your own steak knife to get through the steak!My real complaint is with Air Canada, as was to have free shuttle service, and free use of 4-5 other Iberorstar;s.The entertainment staff, took time to always come talk, and make all feel so welcome! Thanks to you all! I will visit the Ocean Coral, in 6 weeks, and I will walk up and hope to see some of the friendly staff!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank Janis299
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We are more than glad to know that the Staff service was always good and they always made you feel welcome. We regret to know that you had some issues with the safety box at your room; we have already forwarded your feedback so that this is shown to customers at their arrival.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele, therefore we have advised the Chef and the Housekeeping manager to take the necessary actions and always offer the service of excellence our standards require.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back at Iberostar in the Riviera Maya and have the chance to host you.

Truly yours,

Clinton, Iowa, USA
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Had a great time beach was fantastic but hotel had about half as much staff as needed.food was so so, drinks were watery room was clean but not restocked all and all we had a great time with family and friends and that's what it was all about

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank TomSherry2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback; it is great to know that you enjoyed the beach with your family and friends. We deeply regret to know that your stay was not completely enjoyable; we will be sending your feedback to our Housekeeping Department to verify that procedures are followed and always deliver the same quality. Same with the rest of departments.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future in your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

i stayed at Paraiso Beach from Oct 17th - Oct 24th and we had a blast! I went with 4 other friends and we are still talking about how much fun we had a how awesome the trip was! the resort is fabulous and the people are so nice and hard working. Everything was great; the food, the rooms, the grounds, the amenities, the beach and most of all the warm, kind welcoming staff. EVERYONE says hello with a warm smile and go above and beyond to tend to visitors. I made friends with some great staff :) The food was delicious and i didn't get sick of the buffet at all. there was always a wide selection to choose from and food was fresh and yummy. The beach was where we spent most of our time and it was also great; nice sand, crystal clear water and we loved the boardwalk! the only thing i can say is the resort is large so be ready to walk however you can catch a ride quite often as there are golf carts constantly driving around offering rides.Also, wifi would have been nice but really, i cant complain. i am already planning my next visit in January! I plan to return many times and have no interest in visiting any other resorts in playa/cancun :)
I'd like to say Alejandro at the gym was great and put me through some killer ab work outs ;) and Rafael who was a server/busser in the buffet during the day and bar tender at the Disco in the evening was the best and such a cutie. Can't wait to see them again!
You won't be disappointed :)

Room Tip: we stayed in building 36 which was exactly in the middle of the beach and the buffet - perfect locat...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tiffcro
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Beach for your vacations and also for taking the time to share your lovely comments with us on Trip Advisor.

We are truly glad to know that you had an amazing stay with us and you enjoyed the time you were at Iberostar. It is very satisfying to receive these comments since they provide a great motivation for our employees to keep offering the same outstanding service.

We look forward to seeing you again in our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

westerville, ohio
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Paraiso Beach from October 20-27th. This is our 2nd time at the Paraiso Beach and we have also stayed at the Lindo. We used VacationExpress direct out of Cincinnati and I highly recommend the Sunwing airline (except it was a little late both ways). They are great fun and give you snacks, drinks and even pizza, which is unheard of these days. Plus they are a direct flight which is an added bonus!

Check in was quick and they didn't have us listed as a return visitor - previously our name was on a board in the lobby. When we went to make our ala carte reservations we mentioned it to Daniel and he was very apologetic that they somehow missed it in their new computer system. He then gave us an extra reservation (you normally get 3 for a week) and the next day we had a gift of t-shirts and tequila in our room. Very nice touch!

The staff is amazing! From the waiters to the cooks and groundskeepers and the Star Friends, they were always happy to say "hola!" and smile. Customer service here is definitely 5 star.

The food was very good at the ala cartes and the buffets were good enough. I had surf and turf at the Mediterranean restaurant and it was fabulous! The guests that pile their food on their plate to look like they have NEVER been to a buffet in their life really annoy me. They then proceed to wrap up tons of bread, cookies, and fruit and take it with them because I am sure they can't go a mere hour without eating. It's just rude and uncalled for and at the very least, wasteful. That is how you can make the awesome prices at a resort go up - by being a glutton and wasting more food than one person could ever possibly eat.

We didn't stay up for the shows but the Star Friends were very fun at the pool and around the resort.

We used AGI tours for our transfers, as we always do, and they were fantastic. I highly recommend them.

While we were there, we made a quick visit to our daughter who happened to be at the Secrets Maroma resort down the beach. She and her husband paid 3 times what we paid for our stay...every day we got towel animals and our curtains tied in fancy ways, extra waters in our fridge, and fantastic service. They had NO towel animals, rare occasion for turn down service, and unfriendly staff. She has been to the Iberostar with us last year and was very disappointed at the service at the Maroma as compared with the Iberostar! Kudos to the Iberostar for outstanding employees who do make the difference! Of course, we will be back! :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mbur80
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Beach again for your vacations.

We truly appreciate your sharing your amazing comments with us since it provides us a great source of information and most of all motivation for our great employees. We sincerely apologize for the failure in the system that should have indicated that you were repeat guests, and we are glad Daniel made it up to you.

We are happy to know you intend to return to our Hotel, we have forwarded your feedback to our Staff and the people in charge of every department than contributed to making your vacation special.

We hope to welcome you to our Hotel and enjoy once again our warm environment and great service.

Canton
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Spent four nights with a group of 9 friends/coworkers (all work in hospitals) at the Paraiso Beach. We booked with CheapCaribbean online and this was my first stay at an All-Inclusive. Upon arrival at the Cancun airport and a quick trip through Customs, you are deposited outside. There were a couple of bars ready for thirsty tourists. We had booked our shuttle through a different company online: TransfersCancunRiviera.net for $12 each (since we had a large group). Many rides/shuttles waiting but not ours. I had flown with just one other person and the other 7 were arriving within the hour, so we weren't alarmed when we didn't find ours. But as the hour came and went, we began getting very nervous as we didn't know where the rest of our group was. We were not allowed back into the terminal to check on their flight. Many of the taxi drivers approached us to offer rides, which we kept declining, but I finally stopped to talk with a very nice gentleman who said he was concerned since we had been standing there so long. Turns out there are 3 terminals at the airport and our friends were arriving at a different one. The person I travelled with has been to Cancun 2 or 3 times and had only known of the one terminal that we were at! So we found the airport shuttle nearby and eventually found our friends as well as our driver!
We encountered small problems checking in, as our rooms were on 3 different levels, and no one wanted to stay on the ground level. We ended up on the second and third floor (of the same building - # 32 - which was very conveniently located between the front lobby and pool. It was a short walk to the beach. I was expecting a lot of long walks after reading previous reviews, but it didn't take us more than 5 minutes to walk anywhere! The paths were well lit at night and beautiful gardens throughout. The room was ok - nothing special but clean and comfortable. The mini fridge was not very cold but again, adequate. We had trouble with the TV but I left a note and housekeeping took care of it. I think it was more a problem of figuring out the remote (accidently pushed the wrong buttons and couldn't undo it!). We found towel animals on the bed several days, which was fun.
The pools were large and clean. Since it seemed to be the 'off season' we always found chairs. The first morning my roommate and I got up early and rushed to the beach to 'save' 9 chairs so we could be together. We cracked up when we got there because there were probably 6 people that were there ahead of us. We also figured out that the others in our group preferred to be at the pool so we didn't need to 'save chairs'. We still went down to the beach early (7:30-8 am) but never had a problem finding two chairs together. By 10 or 11 though, the chairs in the shade were full. The water was beautiful and refreshing. A few rocks but I never had to wear my 'water shoes'. Quite a bit of sea weed but tolerable for these gals who are used to swimming in our Michigan lakes. Most of our group brought small matching 'floats', which made it easy to find each other, and they were fun to sit in while enjoying both the ocean and the pool. The signs by the pool state 'no balls or floats' but no one discouraged us. They hosted a big Pool Party one afternoon that was crazy-fun but probably not appropriate for the under 18 - mostly because of the crazy people and not to do with the staff entertainment!
The food was sketchy: Breakfast at the pool buffet was not so good but after discovering the buffet near the lobby, we ate there most mornings. The waffles/pancakes + bacon were our favorite as the eggs never seemed quite right (and very greasy). They will cook your eggs any way you like, but mine never turned out very well. Lunch buffets were ok, but we usually just ate a hotdog or hamburger. The cook at the beach was very friendly and the food seemed a bit fresher. I emailed the resort a couple of weeks prior to arrival to ask about reservations for dinner (as well as asking for our rooms to be together!). Reply was swift and courteous, and they gave us restaurant confirmations slips when we arrived (ask at the concierge desk). We were allowed two dinner reservations, but we asked to be put on the wait-list for the other two nights. Since they weren't very busy, we were able to try four different dinner restaurants! I would agree with many of the reviews here: we enjoyed the Japanese Steak House (El Hashiro) best. Second place was the Steakhouse (El Puerto). The Mediterranean was ok, but the Mexican Restaurant (La Hacienda) was not so good, although the two of us that ordered meat tacos enjoyed them. Be aware that if leave your food unattended at the beach or pool buffets, to get a drink refill, etc, there will most likely be birds or critters on the table eating your food!
The various bars did a great job keeping up with the orders. As others have mentioned, if you tip the bartender while introducing yourself and chatting for a minute or two, he will remember you AND what you usually drink! The beer on tap was decent but many of the frozen drinks we ordered were not very good. The flavorings they used were just not what we are used to. I had a frozen margarita that was just plain bad - no other way to describe it. Some of the gals settled on something called 'Purple Rain' and I usually ordered a lemony-rum mix (Rum Collins?). One gal, who tipped very generously the first time up to the pool bar, brought us tequila shots that were very good. Later when someone else ordered a round, the tequila was quite different (and not so good for 'shots'). I took a 'cozy' for my glass and it not only kept the drinks colder, it was easy to spot my drink when I left it with others. Most of our group went out to the 'disco' a couple of nights: the first night it was great, the second time was pretty quiet. So they took a taxi into town and had a good time at a local club. They said they always felt safe but probably overpaid for the taxi back to our resort, as their original driver was going home. The last night, they signed up with a company that was walking around the pool to advertise their club in town. $40 (each) got them the shuttle to and from as well as their entrance. I believe it included drinks but not sure as I didn't have the energy to go. They had mixed reviews: the 'shows' at the club were entertaining, but the music was not what they expected 'at a club'. The building was seriously overcrowded and they expected to be trampled and die if someone yelled 'fire'... not my idea of a good time...
Overall, I had a terrific time and there is talk of returning next year!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank grandmkmk
Dear guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your opinion of your stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

We would like to thank you for choosing us as option for your vacation in Mexico. This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily.

We have advised our Animation and Food & Beverage Managers about your feedback regarding the shows and the drinks at the pool, be sure that every comment will be taken into consideration.

It reinforces our endeavor to work hard to achieve our guests’ expectations when receive your nice comments and also your intention to return in the near future.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We are seniors and very much enjoyed this lovely resort. Terrific food, amazing staff, beautiful grounds and rooms. Very clean resort, with one exception - the pool. It's cleanliness was at odds with rest of the resort, which was well maintained.

While we were there, a large section of the pool was closed for maintenance. The other two sections of the pool had a lot of mold and dirt on the grout lines, both on the bottom of the pool as well as the walls of the pool. We noticed that the water level of the pool was lower than the water return to the filters, so this was probably one reason. Unfortunately, there were, at times, some ignorant boors around the pool, who didn't know when to stop drinking alcohol or when to get out of the pool. Two idiots got sick in the pool when we were there. These idiots are, unfortunately, at most all-inclusive resorts and can't help themselves. We didn't find any fault with the Iberostar management since they can't be expected to know how boors will behave.

We tried to arrange access to the Lindo pool but were told that we would have to relocate to a room over in that hotel and that it would cost us $140 per night to do so. We declined.

We enjoyed the Segways which you could rent on the property - worth it at $45 per person.

We went to the A le Carte's. Best were the Japanese and steakhouse.

We noticed that most people did not leave a tip anywhere - people probably think that an all inclusive covers tips. We don't. We left a daily tip for the maid, wait staff at breakfast, lunch and dinners and of course bartenders. The front desk has lots of small Mexican peso notes.

We were there for 10 nights. Beach water conditions were variable. Waves some days, none on other days. Not too deep. A lot of sea weed at the beachfront, but keep walking along the beach, over to the Lindo beachfront where there is no sea weed.

We did not get immunized and did not get sick, but don't drink the tap water.

We took the hotel shuttle bus to Playa Del Carmen. Cost was $10 U.S. per person, return.

We considered going to the Iberostar Cozumel, but it would have been a transportation hassle and would have cost at least $160 U.S. + tip, for two persons - we decided not to go to Cozumel.

Take bug repellant. With an Eco friendly resort, you get mosquitoes. Buffet restaurant is open air too.

We stayed in the 3400 block of rooms and it was a pleasant 6 minute walk to the dining room and about the same to the beach. We very much enjoyed this beautiful resort.

Dear Guests,

On behalf of the Management of the Hotel Iberostar Paraiso Beach we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your vacation.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We are pleased that your stay was great. We have congratulated our Staff and the people in charge of every department that collaborated to deliver happiness and an unforgettable experience.

As per the pool, we regret to know that it seemed the maintenance was not enough, we have already advised the Maintenance department to verify what happened in this particular case and ensure it is spotless for our guests.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you our warm hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
#45 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!