“WARNING: Stay somewhere else.”

Iberostar Paraiso Beach
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colorado
“WARNING: Stay somewhere else.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am not one to complain or write bad reviews based off of a couple of mishaps...but my stay at this resort was so bad I feel like I need to share...My boyfriend and I traveled to Mexico and stayed at this resort for a quick, relaxing, and fun getaway. It was anything but thanks to this hotel.

1. The staff at this resort was RUDE! Before we arrived, I emailed them requesting a room AWAY from the theater because we wanted a quiet atmosphere. They responded, only acknowledging my boyfriend, not me. When we arrived, they pretty much ignored me and only made eye contact and spoke to my boyfriend. If I talked or asked a question, my boyfriend was addressed and given a response...it was like I was never there. THIS HAPPENED ALL THE TIME! Anyway, our request was not granted and we were given a room right by the theater. It was so loud our first night, we requested to change rooms. They gave us another room 5 buildings down..at night we realized that this new room WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE OTHER RESORT THEATER!! IT was 3x as loud! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! The staff did not care. no apologies, no nothing. RUDE.

2. The food was horrible. I would rather heat up a lean cuisine or hot pocket than eat this food. The drinks were watered down and the staff was rude when serving..no surprise there.

3. If you are traveling with kids..this resort may be good for you. KIDS EVERYWHERE!! It was not ideal for a couple at all. Many times we would witness kids using theirs hands, and re-used utensils to serve themselves food. We quickly lost our appetites.

4. The grounds were pretty..except for all of the NASTY swamp-ponds by the lobby and the restaurants. It was gross and smelled horribly..perfect breeding ground for all of the mosquitos on the property. The walk to the beach was long, but we like to walk and didn't mind. When we checked out with our luggage, we were walking to the lobby and saw an empty golf cart coming...I flagged him down..HE KEPT DRIVING. Maybe it was because I am a woman and my boyfriend didn't flag him down instead.

Overall this place is horrible. I was been to Mexico 3 times this past year and I have NEVER been treated so poorly or experienced such an awful resort. We wanted to maybe try something different...BIG MISTAKE on our part. The only time we had a good vacation was when we LEFT the resort to go do something. I really wish we could get some of our money back, I feel robbed, big time. I will be contacting the main corporate offices of Iberostar to make sure they are informed of our experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Stephanie R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Stephanie R,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience.

We regret to know that your recent experience was not up to your expectations.

We are sorry we could not grant your room request. Even though our Front Desk Manager does his best to accommodate our guests’ petitions, we cannot guarantee any room request at the time of the booking, since they depend on the availability we have upon your arrival.

We regret to know that the email received from our Hotel was not addressed to both of you. Be sure that we will forward your comments to the Front Desk and the Concierge departments to take more precautions to avoid offending our guests. However we would like to clarify that this was never intentional and we usually address our correspondence to the name on the email address. We would like to add that Iberostar has an equal proportion of males and females in its workforce, likewise it receives a proportional number of guests of different genders and no distinctions whatsoever are made. All of our guests are important to us.

As per the children at the Hotel, Iberostar Paraiso Beach is indeed a family-oriented hotel; however, we have certain areas that can be used by guests searching for a quiet time. Regarding our buffets, thank you for that feedback, which has been passed on to our restaurant staff to avoid situations such as the one described.

We are glad that you liked our grounds. We are located in a natural protected area, and as a Green Globe certified hotel we conserve the vegetation and look after the wild life. The pounds work as home for different species here at the hotel and they are cleaned regularly.

If you ever choose Riviera Maya for your vacation again, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our Iberostar.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Commerce, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a great trip, We love Iberostar - this was our 3rd time to visit Iberostar resorts but first time at this location. Lots of restaurants, we especially enjoyed the Mediterranean restaurant. the staff was so helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for the third time for your vacations.

It is fantastic to know that you have given Iberostar the chance to offer you our service and our facilities on different occasions. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us since it provides important information regarding our services and facilities.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the Mediterranean restaurant food and that this was your favourite!

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future; we hope you choose Mayan Riviera and of course Iberostar Paraiso Beach again for your next stay.

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our family of 5 spent 6 nights at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach/Del Mar. The staff was outstanding! It is a tropical paradise and the property is stunning. Peacocks, pheasants, swans, and little anteaters are all over the property, but just add to the tropical feel and beauty. The food and drinks were satisfactory, although I must say that the Italian ala carte restaurant was our best meal. There was nightly entertainment that was very enjoyable and with food available 24/7, families with college age kids will be satisfied!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments. We are more than happy to know that the service, the Staff and the facilities were just great and you had an incredible time with us.

We are happy you were satisfied with our culinary offer, which we try to improve and adapt to our guests’ tastes day after day.

The Staff is always committed to delivering the best service and to make sure our guests feel even better than being at home! It is our pleasure to know that we are on the right track to offer wonderful memories to our guests.

If you choose to visit Mayan Riviera in the near future, it would be our honor to welcome you back into our facilities to enjoy again a fantastic time with our Staff.

Quality manager
Canton (Atlanta), GA
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo previously, this obviously was a step down for us (we came with a group so didn't want to upgrade from where the rest were staying). All in all it was an enjoyable stay and lived up to it's level. As many others have stated, it is a lot of walking and the trolleys don't run often enough IMO. Normally I enjoy walking, but when you're dressed up and in heels going to dinner it would have been nice to arrive not already sweating. My only other complaint would be the Coatis (racoon-like animals) getting on and around the tables in the buffet while you're trying to eat, but that is partly due to the jerks who feed them despite all of the signs clearly stressing that you NOT feed them. Some people are just going to do what they want to do regardless of others.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 3400 building which was midway between beach and lobby, so good location for us. R...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CJfromGA
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We are glad to know that you have visited Iberostar Lindo before and this time you gave us the chance to welcome you to our Hotel; it is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with your group.

Regarding internal transportation, certainly we are a big hotel, so in order to accomplish our guests’ needs we have 3 trolleys running continuously which provide transfer along the hotel from the beach to rooms or main lobby, however, the time lapse between each of them will depend on the number of stops and occupancy we have. We take your feedback into consideration and have passed it on to Management.

If you choose Riviera Maya as your next destination, we would be more than glad to welcome you again to our Hotel or any of our sister resorts. Please do not hesitate to contact us in advance should you have any request.

colleyville
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been to the beach many many times and this was the worst.
Good-room was clean, beach beautiful
Not so Good-walk was terrible especially with an older person, they said take the golf cart trolley--BUT they never came around. We told the manager Luis many many times and he just looked at us. HORRIBLE
--food--most is frozen out of a bag--specialty restaurants were the best yet when we arrived they were full!! Had to wait and wait for openings
--They have VERY few workers. We were there for 5 days and had one girl ask us for a drink by the pool. No one is cleaning up, no one is on the beach for drinks, 1 bartender at each bar most of the time working their tail off. Trolley drivers napping or not on the trolley
--resort is old and shows it
--standing water with trash in it and stinky in places
--mosquitos everywhere especially near the standing water
--air conditioning in our room (which we called on 3 times) ran but didn't get cold EVER but yet because the motor was running they thought it was working
--The set up is odd and requires walking to and from alot
--pool--clean it!!
--animals every where--peacocks are wonderful but the Coati's are alittle much when they are literally everywhere
--breakfast--no one EVER got us coffee or a drink in the main breakfast area
or even bothered to ask us anything
--again the workers need help and need to smile--I would have tipped well if anyone had been around to find that out!!
--AGAIN--there are much better places--LOOK ELSEWHERE

I had never stayed in an Iberostar and will not do it again
It's like they really don't care!!

Room Tip: Rooms are a long walk--DON"T GO
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank dawnrcox2
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation.

We appreciate you took the time to share your comments with us since it provides important information for our improvement and to ensure all our guests enjoy their vacation.

We are sorry you feel our resort is too large. In order to accomplish our guests’ needs we have 3 trolleys running continuously which provide transfer along the hotel from the beach to rooms or main lobby, of course the time lapse between each of them will depend on the number of stops and occupancy we have. We also provide Bell Boys service in case of any especial need or request. Just by phoning Front Desk or Public Relations you can make an appointment.

Regarding the service at bars and restaurants, we apologize about the situations you are mentioning. We have passed your comments on to our Food & Beverage Department so that they can take corrective actions so our clients do not feel unattended.

Regarding our buffet food, our Executive Chef constantly makes efforts to offer the best quality and variety to our guests. We will send him your feedback so that he can take it into consideration. Regarding restaurant reservations, we recommend making reservations in advance or as soon as you arrive so that you can dine at the times of your convenience.

We hope you give us the chance in the near future to welcome you back and offer you the service of excellence you deserve.

Quebec, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We booked the trip to paraiso beach on an impulse because of cold and nasty weather home in the end of June! What an excellent idea! The three of us (couple with our 16 yrs old son) had a blast! Hotel was clean and comfortable. Food was EXCELLENT! Buffet, specialty restaurants we loved it all, especially the mexican food. Service was great. The pool is large and clean. The beach is beautiful and you can walk for hours if you want. The sea was nice and warm. Lots of activities if you want or do nothing as we wanted...the only minus is minor: no wifi in room, but hey we were on vacation!

Room Tip: if you want a quiet time, ask for a room away from the pool and theatre.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anectine
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Iberostar for your recent stay.

It is our pleasure to know that your stay was amazing and to receive all these incredible comments from your experience.

We have forwarded them to the people in charge of every department to make sure our staff receives them. We are sure that this will motivate them to keep on the same track to deliver the best service, the warmest atmosphere and the service of excellence we are proud of offering.

The Chef and his staff would be more than glad to know that their efforts at the kitchen and the service at the restaurant were sublime and you were happy with the food or the variety. We are all committed to offering unforgettable experiences to our guests and incredible vacations.

It would be great to welcome you back the next time you visit Mexico, if this is the case do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Well i want to keep it my name anonymous . I just want to say that the girls at the kids club are doing a great job. I want to let them
know I feel so sorry about the situation my husband put them through, because he was really aggressive with those girls and I wanted to let her bosses know that my husband was wrong and he didn't had sleep because of the flight and he explode with those girls. I wanted to call her boss but I wanted to keep my holidays in peace. Just want you to know that the kids club and their girls are really amazing they take care of the kids, their place and also their way to talk to the kids and their activities are really good. I'm ashamed because of the rough situation my husband put hem through I couldn't go more with my kids I was to shy for doing it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LouisaDcanada
Dear Guest,

The management would like to thank you for your recent stay, and for taking the time to write this wonderful and brave review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that this situation did not create inconveniences during your vacation. The animation manager already received your apologies regarding the situation in the mini club and please rest assured that his Staff is really happy about this and that everything is ok.

Our Staff is always committed to delivering the most exceptional service and this motivates us to keep on the right track to always offer wonderful vacations to lovely guests like you.

In case that you choose Riviera Maya for your next vacation, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel.

Warm regards,

#70 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#42 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!