“Relaxing vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Relaxing vacation”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Me and my wife were celebrating our 20th anniversary with this vacation. We looked at several locations and decided to go here and we were not disappointed with our choice. Upon arrival, it was like a luxurious palace with marble flooring throughout lobby. Receptionist, Carmen, was very generous and helpful whenever we went there. Manager Jorge was very informative on several things in the area. Javier, the lobby's bartender was super nice. The room was like the lobby very beautiful and roomy for a studio. The fridge was stocked with cans of Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Fanta Orange, Aqua-Crystal; water like drink, 20 oz. Cristol water as well as Cera Vera XX and Superior beer. You can request specific drinks you rather have. Pool area was nice especially swim up bar; but only one was open and o-course it was a good swim away from where we were relaxing. Beach was nice also but had rocks in certain area which wasn't nice to walk on. Food was great as well as some of the nightly entertainments, some were better than others. We are already planning out our next trip here because it was relaxing and wasn't that crowded for Mother's day weekend. Beware of wildlife on property like peacocks, guinea hens, iguanas and coati; long tailed mammal, they were freaky but didn't really bother us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DPridgen
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Clients,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our hotel, and for taking the time to share your experience.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our food, services and that you encountered many of our friendly employees during your stay. We have already sent your comments to our management team and the people you mentioned; this for sure will motivate them to keep up their excellent job.

It is also nice to hear that you liked our grounds and appreciate the local wildlife, the coatis are protected species in this area and are not dangerous. We always ask our guests not to feed them, so that they do not approach guests later looking for food.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The last time I went to the paraiso beach was in april and it was amazing. The food was amazing the entertainment was great the staff was amazing the bartenders the servers everything was great. Also the rooms were very clean! I have 2 kids, one is 6 and the other is 9. They loved it as much as we did if not more. The girls of the minnie club were fantastic, especially the head of the minnie club Lili. She has so much patience for the kids she plans many different activities everyday, takes them to lunch, has sandcastles competitions, movie time, anything you can think of she has already thought of ahead of you. I wanted to say a big thank you to her she is great. I rate this resort a 5 on 5. It is good for every age group, for families, cupols, single people. I will be back very soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank kellyJones91
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We appreciate you took the time to share your experience since it provides us and many readers with and insight of our service and facilities.

The management team is satisfied after reading your comments; we do our best to offer amazing vacations and incredible experiences for all our clients. The Staff has also been informed and they would be glad to know that their efforts and hard work made your stay incredible.

We will give all your nice and generous comments to Lili, the best reward is the recognition from our guests, and we are sure she will be thrilled to read your compliments.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

Kind regards

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I've visited IPBeach in April 2013 and I was dissapointed with this hotel as I've done my homework on searching hotels in R/Maya and I've also been there few times at Sandos.
But first. When we have arrived the reception was very accomodating to switch rooms for better location for only 5$ tip. I have asked about upgrading to Lindo and I was told that I have to pay $100/day. I refused and price was dropped to $50/day. I refused and stayed at Beach (that was my biggest mistake).
My room was in building 32 3-rd floor and this is the best location you can get. Close to pool and beach, beach buffet and very quiet area. Tip: If you preffer go to bed before midnight, don't take buildings 35 and up as they all close to either Lindo or Beach theaters.
Room was OK a bit on the worn side. Room service was OK as well, I have tipped alot but that would not give me any difference. My daughter got skin rash the very first day and we ended up going to doctor on site, which charge 109$ for assesment. I have heard from few other people that they had some skin problems.
Now the worst, the food was terrible. I didn't beleived reviews of other visitors at IPB until I've experienced the same.Same food all day every day for 10 days I've been there. I am not picky eater and I can eat just everything, but that was so bad that we ended up eating at Mediterranian every evening (tipping heavily). Also beach buffet provides the same food as main, just a little bit less choices. Food a all buffets looked like it went through all hotels in the complex and then it ended up at Beach/DelMar as less expensive hotels.
Beach was also terrible even though sometimes there was clean water which gave opportunity to swin in the sea. But most of the times there was garbage and seaweed. Garbage was big problem on the beach and I suspect it is from big ships that sailing to nearby Conzumel. I saw dirty bags, toothbrushes, paperplates... all floating in the sea. Staff tries to clean it but it keeps coming in tons. I agree it is long strech of the beach but as soon as you leave hotel zone there is nothing to watch except garbage on the beach.
Last year we went to Sandos which is very close to this area and even though it is 3 star hotel it has 500% better food choices and beach area.

Don't get me wrong we still enjoed our stay probably because we are very easygoing and don't care alot about comfort but you definetely can find better hotels for the same price or go to Lindo or Maya for higher price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank Maple99
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay. We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction.

We are sorry to hear that your daughter got skin rash during your vacation. As we are in a tropical environmental many reasons including the weather, humidity, products as sun block, etc could be the cause of a rash. In that matter it is important to mention that the doctor services are not related to Iberostar so they have their own prices and polices, we hope your daughter feels fine now.

We regret to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the food quality. We already shared it with the persons involved in order to look into areas where we could enhance our different dining choices. Concerning your room we are glad to know that the location was nice and perfect .

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My favourite part at Iberostar Paraiso Beach was the beach! It was mostly sand and great for swimming for all ages but there were also a few areas with lots of coral which made for some awesome snorkeling right there at your resort! The food was fresh and delicious and there are always some "American" foods for kids and the less adventurous. The resort is very clean and the staff is very helpful. Would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank KarenR1975
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Guests,

We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments since it provide us with great information from a client’s point of view of our services and facilities.

Thank you for highlighting that the Staff was always friendly and helpful and that the beach, the areas, the service and facilities were all perfect and enjoyable. The Chef and his staff would be honored to know that the food was always fresh and delicious.

After reading your feedback we are sure that we are on the right track to offer amazing vacations to our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, if this is the case, do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival; we would be more than glad to assist you.

NJ
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just got back from Iberostar Paraiso Beach. Stayed here a week and found the resort to be very nice. We enjoyed our time here. I gave it a 4 rating only because the food was not good. For an all inclusive you go not expecting the best food, but even for an all inclusive the food was pretty bad. Here's the breakdown of the place:

Good:
Plenty of lounge chairs throughout the resort
Hammocks near the beach
Beds on beach and in pool area
No problems finding chairs, beds, or hammocks
3 swim up bars (1 one was in quiet area closed most of the time, the other 2 near activities pool, one closed at 5 the other at 6)
Lobby bar
Liquor - nothing is watered down
Beach- clear teal blue water, nice sand (although you will see some seaweed but not bad) There was a stingray that came not too far in so just keep a look out but nothing to worry about.
Beach grill was good - we ate there for lunch most days and was better than the other food options for lunch.
The nightclub - It was big, don't let the star wars theme fool you, it's a nice club, and most nights the dj played good music. It was a good crowd every night, not too packed and not dead. A couple of nights the dj's music was not good.
The nightclub is in the shopping center area where they also have a taco place and a crepe place, which were both ok. There is no charge for either.
Service - Everyone working there is very friendly

Bad:
Food - I don't know who would say this place has good food. We didn't go hungry but we did get tired of eating the same thing everyday. The buffet had limited options and smaller compared to other all inclusives we stayed at and the same food for lunch and dinner everyday. I saw chicken only once or twice throughout the 7 days. For vegetarians, get ready for pizza, pasta, fries, cheese quesadillas and corn. The pizza was horrible. Very bland. Pizza was only not bland 2 times out of the 7 days and it's the same pizza everyday - Margherita and occasionally with mushrooms and onions. Being in Mexico you would expect a variety of Mexican choices, but there was only Cheese quesadillas, nachos, guacamole, and refried beans (which tasted bad). Breakfast is the same everyday, cereal options, yogurt, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, and custom made omelettes. None of it was that good. It is a shame that being such a nice resort the food is the one thing that is making the resort from being great. Btw there is a buffet in Del Mar and Beach, and get to use both, but only one will be open at the same time. Buffet breakfast is only open til 10 but the other breakfast place is near the towel place which is open til 11:30. On the positive side the specialty restaurants seems to be where they focus the most. They have good portions in all the restaurants and yiou will not go hungry. The food in the Japanese and Mexican restaurants was good. Stay away from the Italian place. The food there was horrible and very salty. You are entitled to 3 specialty restaurant reservations throughout a week stay. I emailed them in advance and made reservations.

Towels- There is only 1 pool towel place in the resort. Each guest gets 1 towel card, which you give to the towel place for towels. 1 towel card = 1 towel. When you return your towel, you can exchange for a a clean one or get back your card. If you lose the card it will cost you $10.

Jacuzzis - There are 3 jacuzzis, 1 in the waterfall area, 1 in center of pool, and 1 in center of activities pool - None have hot water. There were 2 jacuzzis in the gym, however 1 is for males only and the other for females. I don't know if those were hot but being that I couldn't go together with my wife we didn't bother.

Pool temperature - The first 3 days we were there the pool water was cold, not freezing but on the cold side. The next 3 days the pool water was warm. The weather was pretty much in the mid to upppr 80's the whole time and sunny so it wasn't the weather that caused the pool to be warmer the last 3 days. They have water coming into the pool in many areas and I think the water coming in was cold the first 3 days. So hopefully when you go the water will be like what it was for us the last 3 days. Though for most of you I don't think pool water will be that much of an issue. The activities pool water was the warmest.

I read on older reviews that you can go to Lindo and Maya but will not be served there because of the wristband color you are wearing. We did go to Lindo, but were stopped after a while and told us that we need to go back. Apparently the old review was wrong, you can't even roam around in there. But you can give it a try worst case they will just tell you to go back. Lindo has a nice "waves" pool. But I like the pool at the Beach resort better.

Older reviews also mentioned a lot of walking. We didn't find this to be an issue. It is really not that bad. If you walk on the outside paths every 15 mins or so you can get rides on the trolleys to the lobby area if you want, or on golf carts that are going by. We walked most of the time and didn't find an issue. We ate at the beach grill or one of the restaurants near the pool area rather than go to the lobby buffet for lunch which helped. Dinner would be in the lobby area, where the buffet and specialty restaurants are located. We had a room in the middle (building 36 - Beach resort) which helped.

You will find many peacocks, ducks, iguanas, birds and coaties throughout the resort. The birds do make noise in the morning. I am a light sleeper but did not find this to be a big issue. There may be loud inconsiderate people next door that you might hear in the morning. But you can't do much about that. Sleep was not an issue. If you're a big time light sleeper then it may be a problem.

They have shuttles that goes to Playa Del Carme leaving from the Del Mar lobby throughout the day for $10 per person roundtrip and takes about 20 mins one way. Definitely recommended. We ate there one night after getting tired of the food at the resort.

Room Tip: Building 36 - Beach resort
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank njbrownboy
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of all our staff and Management, we want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Beach for your vacations.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the different services, great facilities, natural surroundings and great resort overall.

We regret to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations concerning the food variety. We would like to tell you that the management of Iberostar is committed to providing the best services; therefore we extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with the Italian restaurant. We already shared it with the Executive Chef in order to look into areas where we could enhance our different dining choices.

Once again, thank you for your feedback which helps us in order to improve our service. We hope you can visit us again soon and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back.

With best regards,

Iberostar México
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am a single traveler and overall had a good time however, I would not return to this resort. They would not allow you to move your beach chair near the water and had to keep back so many feet from the shore due to some federal regulations.. Ive traveled all my life and never heard of such a thing at a resort. Then there was the mass amount of families that made so much noise and made the beach and dinner very stressful with all the screaming and yelling or chasing the seagulls.. I will say the room was cute and comfortable and the staff was VERY good. So if you like a loud family atmosphere, this place may be perfect for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank goldengodess
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Iberostar for your vacations.

We appreciate you sharing your comments with us since it provides important information for our improvement. As you mentioned all beaches in the area are regulated by the Environmental Federal Law and they are treated as protected areas. We can enjoy them but we have to follow certain regulations. In this case we cannot tamper or invade any part of the beach that is up to 20 meters from the shore line. That way we ensure its sustainability and continuity for years to come. These were measures not taken in the past that led to the erosion and contamination of coasts, so destinations are now trying to protect their resources better so that you and many other visitors to come will always find the beach to be beautiful, intact and unpolluted. We thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Thank you so much for highlighting the kindness and friendliness of the staff; we believe the staff is our best asset as they help us achieve our main goal: the complete satisfaction of our guests.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, either to our beautiful resort or any other Iberostar. Please do check the different categories we have around the world, such as the Grand Collection, for adults only.

Kind regards,

Brooklyn
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Paraiso Playa for six nights, along with immediate and extended family, for a destination wedding. We had a good time, but I wouldn't return.

First, the grounds are absolutely beautiful, and from talking to people who stayed at other nearby resorts, the Iberostar complex (five adjacent resorts) may have the best beach in the area. There were a lot of great activities included for free, including catamarans and snorkeling at the beach (which has a coral reef, so we saw some good fish).

As other reviewers have noted, there is a fair amount of walking, and even as a New Yorker who walks miles every day normally, this got to be a bit tiring by the last couple days of our stay. We found ourselves making eating and activity decisions based on how far things were by the end. The first few days, we probably walked 3-4 miles each day between our room, the beach, the restaurants, etc. For some people,this will be a bit much, and the golf carts and tram were totally unreliable, so you may end up waiting for a while.

It's also incredibly inconvenient to modify your dinner reservations--the concierge takes a large break in the middle of the day, and they insist you make any changes in person.

The food was OK. The steaks were the best thing I ate all week, and most of the food was mediocre to good. All of it is greasy, and there aren't many healthy options outside of breakfast.

The gym was OK. They had a good amount of equipment, but it must have been 85 degrees in there.

Service varied between attentive and nonexistent. Just totally inconsistent from meal to meal, bar to bar, front desk agent to front desk agent, etc.

The only time there was great service was one particular dinner where an independent company was handing out customer satisfaction surveys. In fact, it was overbearing. When my brother-in-law was filling in his survey, this giant waiter literally stood over him in order to intimidate him into giving the top ratings, and another "entertainer" admonished him for giving a middle rating in one category. After I filled mine out, three separate people took it from me to examine my ratings. So the great service turned into a nightmare pretty quickly.

The entertainment is a joke--probably the worst part of the resort. Unlike the other all-inclusive I've stayed at, all of the entertainers were in-house employees, not traveling shows. Not only was the talent level not great, the actual programs were boring and outdated. We hoped it might at least provide some unintentional comedy, but we were disappointed. Honestly, I just felt bad for the performers.

If you've already booked this resort, don't panic--you'll have a good time. We all enjoyed ourselves. But given the mediocre food and service, I wouldn't go back.

I should also add the walls between rooms are paper-thin. I'm not a light sleeper and I was woken up several nights by the family staying in the adjacent room. Even normal conversation can be heard like they're in your room with you. My wife wore ear plugs every night.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor! Housekeeping makes a ruckus many mornings.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ben_from_Brooklyn
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for your recent vacation, we are truly sorry to read that the quality of the food and the service did not fulfill your expectations.

With regards to our concierge service, they open their desks from 9:00am to 2.00 pm and from 4.00 pm to 7.30 pm, during the 2 hour break we have the concierge main office that could help you right away. It is true that our policy for cancelation requires the guest to make them in person; it is for safety reasons and to have a written confirmation of our guest. When a guest is unable to come to the desk we regularly send someone over to assist them. We are sorry about the inconvenience.

Our staff is committed to providing great services and facilities that satisfies our guests’ requirements and we work with our staff to have a consistent service level throughout the resort, so we have taken all your comments into consideration to work on; we are actually preparing a program to tackle this lack of consistency and avoid situations like the ones you mentioned with the survey. Our deepest apologies about that.

Your feedback has given us information to work on, especially with service and entertainment, and the department managers concerned have been informed accordingly so that they can take the necessary actions.

Once again, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the unpleasant situations that you encountered, and we assure you we will be working on all these areas.

We hope you give us another opportunity in the near future, if you do please contact us prior your arrival

Kind regards

#72 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!