“Nice family resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“Nice family resort”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a very nice tropical resort with a very large pool. There is a lot of wildlife on site including pink flamingo's, coatimundi, colorful birds and I even saw a monkey or two. The most interesting was a pair of Peacocks, one of which was albino who constantly followed around the more colorful one. In my opinion the food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. The two main buffet's were open air type, one near the lobby and one near the beach and the birds sometimes can be pests. It would be nice to have the option of eating indoors for breakfast, but to do that you would have to stay at the more expensive Iberostar Paraiso Lindo right next door on the same Iberostar Paraiso Complex.

The staff was very good, friendly and pleasant. The resort was very clean and well maintained. The beach is very nice, but there is not a lot of natural shade from trees, so you have to get up early and claim a lounge chair that protects you from the elements. The waves can be a bit rough here and the red flags were out most of the time I was there. It was not hurricane season when I went. You can snorkel there, but it would probably be a waste of time since there really isn't any coral for fish to feed from. You might see a needle fish or something like that, but if you want to snorkel, this is not the place. You have to pick your spots to swim because there are some large rocks in the water. The swim up bar was fun a the pool.

The staff is constantly trying to get guests involved in activities and they do a good job including people of all ages. This is a good thing!

This resort shares all it's amenities and pool with the section named the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar. The Del Mar is on the north side of the pool and the Beach section is on the south side of the pool. They are basically the same resort with no real differences in the rooms except maybe the coloring of the drapes and linens. The sports bar is located in the Del Mar section, but all guests at the Beach section can use it.

The walkways in this resort are like a maze connecting the different parts near the main lobby. There is water on both sides of the walkway and it is nicely manicured with plants. There are also Pink Flamingo's in several parts. I saw three people during my stay trying to take pictures of the "water gardens" and they accidentally walked into the water gardens. It's about a 1 foot drop and nobody got hurt, but they did ruin their shoes and two of them trashed their cameras. So if you take pictures here, don't be walking trying to chase the wildlife to get a better picture.

There is a night club on-site at the Linda and Maya section that you can use at night time and a hamburg joint right next to it that is open during the night club hours.

If you get a room close to the lobby it can be a bit of a long walk to the beach, but if you get a room near the beach it can be a bit of a long walk to the restaurants. Think before you request where you want your room to be.

Overall, it's a very nice, comfortable family resort on a very pretty manicured property. Best of all, it's only about 20 minutes south of the airport in Cancun. I would stay here again if I didn't want to be far from the airport. If I had kids with me I would rather stay at the Lindo or Maya section because they have a "wave pool", a small "Lazy River" and also indoor buffets, but these sections are more expensive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MrReviewer100
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your vacation. We are glad to hear that you had such an amazing vacation with us. We thank you for all your comments regarding the service and facilities.

Concerning your the difference between the Del Mar & Beach sides, as you mentioned, both sides are on the same property. Indeed they share the same facilities such as: restaurants, bars, theater, pool & beach areas. The only difference is the decoration of the lobbys and rooms.

Once again, we would like to thank you for your wonderful comments about our dedicated staff, will be more than glad to share your encouraging words.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Kind regards,

Quality Manager Iberostar México

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My Hubby surprised me with a 22nd wedding anniversary gift and this was it:)...We however recieved NO special treatment from staff or upgrade....The meals were good we had no complaints with that...Antonio was amazing.... The rooms are very nice and the ground are beautiful... There is a mall right there and its awesome we didnt even leave the resort...That was our choice...We were content...The gym is awesome and the gentleman who works there was so helpful.... We had a massage on the beach from the girls from the spa and it was worth every penny...It was 99.00 and u can add it to ur room and pay @ check out...Take a floaty they come in handy for the beautiful big pool..... My only complaints are that we didnt get good service around pool area for drinks we had to get them ourselves first few days and the second swin up bar was not open till day 6 for us:(.... If u want quite DONT go to the swin up bar cause people are there to have fun so they are drinking and loud but thats ok ...its there hoilday too..Im just saying.... Another thing that upset me was when we were leaving we called for help with our bags and no one answered the phone @ the front desk ... We carried our bags ALL the way down 2 flights of stairs and ALL THE WAY TO THE FRONT DESK.. Not a golf cart stopped to help us:(...We were both soaking wet from the adventure... This is a nice resort but its HUGH if ur not a walker dont go here u wont b happy...All the best and happy hoildays everyone:)

Room Tip: If u dont like walking u wont like this resort... The grounds and pool area are beautiful.....
4 Thank sandraf_247
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear guest

On behalf of the Hotel Management we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Paraiso del Mar.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our culinary offer, the room, the gym and were delighted with your overall stay.
Furthermore, we deeply regret the fact that the service at the pool did not live up to your expectations and are really sorry to hear about your last experience with our bellboys. It is certainly not the image we would like to promote from Iberostar. Please be sure that we have taken all your recommendation into consideration and took all your suggestions as a learning tool to always improve our services.

Please allow us to thank you once more for the time taken in writing about our establishment, we look forward to seeing you again at Iberostar.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have never done an all inclusive and so I am now hooked! We did 4 nights and we wished we had booked a few more days since we wanted more time here to explore. The staff are just amazing as so friendly and helpful. The pool is beautiful as love the different sections as spending time near the water fall at end of our day was relaxing. Beach was nice too. Liked the entertainment! They really treat guests like royalty and so I look forward to returning on my next trip to Mexico. Food also was great as the buffet breakfast was off the hook!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Teeps71
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for your amazing comments and for taking the time to share your recent experience at our Resort on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to read that your first all inclusive experience lived up to your expectations. Thank you for praising the staff and their friendliness as there is no better reward for them than to hear how much you enjoyed your vacation thanks to their hard work and commitment.

We would be really happy if we could welcome you back into our Hotel in a near future, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx.

Warm Regards,

Ft Worth, TX
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was disappointed with this resort. This being my 8th trip to Mexico I know what to expect from an all-inclusive. When booking my vacation through Funjet I requested two rooms with double beds and mattress pads. Upon arriving we were given rooms with king beds and we had to request new rooms. Immediately upon arriving in the room, I requested a mattress pad. Three hours later, still no pad. The pad arrived quickly after the second call. After a long hot day of travel I was looking forward to a cool shower. When I turned on the water, the handle came off in my hand. I called guest services again and was assured an engineer would shortly to take care of the problem. No one showed up. At this point I gave up and went to bed. The pillows on the bed were the flattest I have ever encountered. I finally figured out how to use the shower by pulling gently on the handle. However, the button that you needed to push to create pressure for the shower to work continually popped back out so anytime I showered I had to push it back in 3-4 times. I chose not to request a new room because our son was in the same building and I didn't want to pack up all my stuff. The rooms need Do not Disturb signs. At 7:50 am on our last day the maid knocked on the door to find out if we were checking out that day. Since we didn't need to be in the lobby until 10:30 am I would have liked to have been able to sleep a little longer.
After spending the day at the beach we left our towels lying across the balcony to dry. They were gone the next day. Luckily there was no problem replacing the towels.

Beach and pool: The beach area is nice but I found it a little disconcerting to eat at the beach side grill. There were 13 coati (Mexican raccoons) surrounding me eager to take my food. The pool area is very nice. However, (I know this isn't the resort's fault) I am embarrassed and appalled by the loud obnoxious drunk people that hang around the swim up bar. They are only amusing themselves with their loud vulgar language. When I have read reviews in the past from Europeans and Canadians I have been annoyed by the remarks about drunk Americans. Now after witnessing this first hand I totally understand what they are talking about.

Buffet/Bar: The food was no different from other all inclusives. I want to commend the waiters and bartenders. They worked hard and were unfailingly polite and were the best part of the resort.

If you choose to stay here, be prepared to walk. I wouldn't stay here if you have small children. Even though there are golf carts running frequently through the resort they are not always around when you need them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dkalFtWorth_TX
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear client,

Thanks for your recent visit and sincerely regret not having completely filling your expectations about our services and facilities.

It is of great interest to us read about your comments it help to us to identify areas for improvement and determine the real needs of our guests in order to achieve our main goal which is none other more than the satisfaction and enjoyment of your holiday, we really sorry it was not your feeling during your recent visit.

We apologize for any inconvenience during your arrival we try to meet all possible requests according to our availability. I'm sorry about the service and details with your rooms, believe me we have taken note of these together with our chiefs departments in order to avoid similar situations in the future.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed our beach, about the Coatis We are coordinating with the corresponding authorities as they are protected species even though we keep published information about not to feed animals many people ignore them what constitutes these come to the tables, nevertheless our staff do everything possible to keep them away.

Concerning your experience in the pool although we are a multicultural hotel and we understand people come to have fun and enjoy their holidays, the manner and way to behave can differ from each other, in this matter we have different areas or sections on our extensive pool. in other hand our staff by the areas and public relations is always attentive and available to handle any situation or inappropriate behavior as we are a family hotel. We appreciate your observations and we will work to improve it.

Thank you for your recognition to the staff of bars and restaurants, we are glad to know you appreciate their services and efforts.

Sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward for the opportunity to serve you in the future and have the chance to show you our improvements offer you a memorable vacation and recover your confidence in Iberostar.

Quality Manager
southwest, MI
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We just returned from this relaxing vacation in Mexico. We go to Mexico at least twice a year and always stay at different resorts. This one was very nice- LOTS of walking however. We had a room in the middle complex and spent lots of time walking to the lobby or beach. The pools are incredible. They even have a waterfall/ hot tub area. The food is sub- par for sure. This really was our only disappointment. The restaurants were OK the buffet was just basics. The staff was mostly friendly. There were a few rude men working the lobby desk who were not very helpful. The grounds were spotless. Many birds and animals live at the resort too. I would probably return to another Iberostar resort. The A/C was plenty cool enough too!

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed- ocean view
1 Thank dcfryling
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for send us your sincere comments. We are very delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences about your recent visit in our hotel. It was a great pleasure to read your valuable and encouraging feedback as we certainly value your comments, its encourage us to improve and help us in our guest satisfaction and quality service.
Thank you and we are looking forward to welcome you again in Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

Quality Manager
Iberostar México
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a fabulous property, maintained well, with employees focused on you having a good experience. We stayed at Del Mar in Jan 2012 and at Beech in Oct. Suggest bringing your most comfortable walking shoes because of the distances you have to traverse between the rooms, beech, and restuarants. They have golf carts running around if you don't mind a little wait. Bring your own pool floats. They added coffee makers to the rooms sometime between Jan and Oct. Jan was much more crowded, but the resort handled it well. It appears that Apple is the marketer for Del Mar and Fun Jet the marketer of Beech. The experience with each was very compatible. Apple did have a contact at PHL checking you in, but this was not much value.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Cheman7
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guests,
We appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your stay in January and October, and you actually experienced and the differences and improvements we have been doing at the Hotel to assure all our guests a better stay.

We feel honored to know that you came twice to our Hotel this year and that you enjoyed your vacations on both times, even the high season as January is, we know that sometimes is too crowded for some people, however our Resort is well prepared for this seasons and we are happy to welcome all our guests and offer them unforgettable experiences.
Furthermore in order to help with the transportation we have 2 trolleys driving around the areas to give rides to our guests. Please be assured that we have taken note of all your comments and thank you for your tips.
Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you again at our lovely hotel, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx

Oxford
Reviewed October 16, 2012

After following the reviews we were both looking forward to this holiday; although my husband is a chef and therefore very fussy about his food we also a bit apprehensive about the food as there were a few bad to average reviews about the food! We also stayed at 'T'he Royal' in Cancun so we were very spoilt on that holiday.
Room
Our first appearance was 'wow' and couldn't believe how large this resort was. The hotel lobby was very nicely decorated and the efficiency of the staff was very good.
The room was nice (pretty much the same standard for carabbean). Although the shower was probably the worse thing about the room as it had hardly any power. You do not need to worry about water as they provide you with plenty every day.
Restaurant.
The food was very nice. I don't understand the low ratings about this as there are so many choices. The only thing I was disapointed about was the bread as it was never very fresh. The restaurants were also brilliant. If you have a hearty appetite and like meat then you must book into the Brazillian. The steakhouse was also very good. We booked at the Italian and I was not that impressed as I ordered Rissotto and ended up with normal rice baked with cheese. My husband however had the veal and was quite overwelmed by the standard and taste. The Japenese was good we would recomend just for the experience (although the food was average).
Drink
The drinks were very good but be warned THEY ARE NOT WATERED DOWN like most All Inclusives!!! There are some drinks that you can't see but don't disregard this eg If you want Jack Daniels they do have it you just have to ask, the same for absolute vodka. The only thing that was very very disappointing is the standard of the wine. It was undrinkable in the bars however in the restaurants it was very good. Saying that we found that in the second week, we booked the Steakhouse again and found the same low undrinkable standard being serfved so I'm unsure if we were just lucky in the first week and they still had some stock left!
Star Friends/Pool
The activity staff were brilliant. They kept you entertained at all times with lots of interesting things to do or watch. The pool was massive and fantastic.
Location
This was a let down as my husband and I like to walk about outside however we appeared to be on a main highway so couldn't do this. We were also surprised at how far we actually were from Player Del Carmen.; however the hotel provides a shuttle bus about 4 times a day for only 100 spanich paco's (approx £5) per person. You just have to pick it up next door which is a two minute walk to the sister hotel entrance.
Finally we went on a trip for my birthday.Xel-Ha! It was probably the best I have been on. It was absolutely fabulous (rather than go into this please google it)
Overall Summary.
It was a great place, although not as the same standard as The Royal (but that was more expensive anyway) the staff were wonderful
The meals were very good. The drinks were great apart from the wine. One thing that was disappointing was although when I booked this holiday, it had a box to state if there was a celebration involved. I stated that it was my birthday on the 2nd Oct however I'm unsure why it asked as there was no special treats or acknowledgement by the hotel on the day!

Room Tip: Ask for room close to reception/pool
4 Thank hansojm
Dear Guests,
We really appreciate you took the time to share all your comments and inform us about your stay.

Thank you for mentioning our welcoming and affectionate staff and the high class cuisine. We turn our attention to our employees to make every guest feel at home and to make sure they enjoy their stay. It is a pleasure for us to hear that you treasure our resort, the cuisine and the staff, we have already share your comments with the main Chef in order to take in consideration your comments in regards of the bread and the Japanese restaurant menu.

Our pools are one of our best attractions since it is huge and it’s a lagoon type pool, we try to offer different surroundings at the pool to enjoy with family, alone or with friends, it is big enough to host you if you want to relax at the quiet area, or have fun at the activities pool with the Star Friends.

We delighted to know that the drinks were good enough for you and you enjoyed them. We regret the fact that the wine was not your expectations even though we offer an a la carte menu with different options you can get for an additional charge, nevertheless we take your comments in consideration and shared your experience with our Maitre in order to see the best way to improve it.

Please be assured that we have taken note of all your comments and thank you for your tips. For our management team – as well as for all the other departments– it is essential to get a direct feedback of our clients.

We would be glad to welcome you again in a near future and enjoy another unforgettable vacations, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#72 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!